Birdwatching In Isan

isanbirder

Went for a wander along the river again this morning, a good number of small pratincole doing the injured impersonation so must have nests.

There was a little ringed plover doing the same, first time I have seen that behavior from them.

post-12069-0-26782100-1399181551_thumb.j

Was also dive bombed by a pair of red wattled lapwing who must have a nest handy.

Unfortunately the semi wild dogs that roam around down there have been digging up the bee eater nests, must hear the chicks.

These mongrels are a real pest, bark at anyone who goes down there

Elsewhere there is one particular swamp that has a lot of bird life, will post on that later.

• Replies 752
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I envy you the Small Pratincoles.... we only get the commoner Oriental. They're pretty good at the broken wing distraction too.

I've now seen running chicks of Red-wattled Lapwing for three years running. Not easy to find though. Since the recent rain, there have been RWLs all over the place, making a lot of noise, dive-bombing and doing the broken wing stunt. I don't think they've got chicks with them, though.

A lovely Brown Shrike this morning, late for this species. At this time of year many of them have wholly buffish-pink underparts, much more striking than the books show.

Brown shrikes are still around here in considerable numbers, see them most days.

There is a lot of variation in them, been taking notice (and photos) as I'm looking for a long tailed which are supposed to be resident.

Will go to Kanchanaburi tomorrow and have a look at Hellfire Pass and Erawan NP, hopefully see something different.

A nice surprise this morning, but needs a bit of history behind it.

Good nest-holes are scarce in my area, and much in demand. I have under observation one conveniently placed about 3 ft. up a tree trunk. I can check it with a penlight.

In 2012. A Hoopoe raised two broods (recorded for Hoopoes, but rarely)

In 2013. A Spotted Owlet got in first, but was ejected and killed by a lowlife villager. A Hoopoe took over, and tried three times, all unsuccessful.

This year, a Hoopoe raised one brood, another Hoopoe took over, but died on the nest. I thought that was the end for this year, as the corpse, plus an egg visible beside it, was still in the hole.

This morning I checked again. Something moved. I thought, Snake? Then came the unmistakeable explosive hiss of a Hoopoe's choicest language!

I shall keep checking.

Been going through the bird photos I got on the Kanchanaburi trip last week, not as many as I had hoped but still a couple of new ones for me.

There is a male Golden Fronted Leafbird and this little flycatcher which I am thinking may be a female Little Pied Flycatcher as there are a couple the same on the OBC data base

post-12069-0-60244800-1399815110_thumb.j

Those were at Hellfire Pass, also got some good photos of a Blue Winged Pita there.

While waiting for a bus to take us back to Kan, took photos of a pair of Sotty-headed Bulbul one with a orange vent the other yellow, first yellow vent one I have seen.

Also did a day at Erawan NP, a great place for people but not so for birds, only bird photo I got there was of a Blue Whistling Thrush.

Where we stayed in Kan there were quite a few birds around down by the river including what I am picking to be a Tiger Shrike, if it is it will be another first (confirmed) for me.

post-12069-0-28124300-1399816407_thumb.j

Been going through the bird photos I got on the Kanchanaburi trip last week, not as many as I had hoped but still a couple of new ones for me.

There is a male Golden Fronted Leafbird and this little flycatcher which I am thinking may be a female Little Pied Flycatcher as there are a couple the same on the OBC data base

attachicon.giffemale little pied flycatcher.JPG

Those were at Hellfire Pass, also got some good photos of a Blue Winged Pita there.

While waiting for a bus to take us back to Kan, took photos of a pair of Sotty-headed Bulbul one with a orange vent the other yellow, first yellow vent one I have seen.

Also did a day at Erawan NP, a great place for people but not so for birds, only bird photo I got there was of a Blue Whistling Thrush.

Where we stayed in Kan there were quite a few birds around down by the river including what I am picking to be a Tiger Shrike, if it is it will be another first (confirmed) for me.

attachicon.giftiger shrike.2.JPG

Looks good for Tiger Shrike.

I also do not think it is Little Pied. Little Pied are really round fluff balls. What altitude were you at?

It was while walking along the rail bed at H F P

Sorry Robby, I have no idea where HFP is.

I also do not think it is Little Pied. Little Pied are really round fluff balls. What altitude were you at?

Sorry I should have been more precise rather than use an abbreviation, Hellfire Pass..

80 K's north of Kanchanaburi on the road to Sangklaburi.

Look up "Death Railway" on the internet or " Bridge over the River Kwai"

Just looked it up myself, possibly the best English language site http://hellfire-pass.commemoration.gov.au/

Sorry I should have been more precise rather than use an abbreviation, Hellfire Pass..

80 K's north of Kanchanaburi on the road to Sangklaburi.

Look up "Death Railway" on the internet or " Bridge over the River Kwai"

Just looked it up myself, possibly the best English language site http://hellfire-pass.commemoration.gov.au/

I was there a few months ago. That is were that Aussie museum is, right? Too low for Little Pied, IMHO.

Yes that's right and you can walk along the rail bed for more than 2km.

Another great museum across the road from the main cemetery in Kanchanaburi. Railway museum.

Even though I have no personal connection with anyone involved its still a pretty emotional thing for me, mans inhumanity to man.

But I went there to walk the track and look for birds, got some good shots of a Blue Winged Pita.

post-12069-0-44376000-1400417940_thumb.j

Just posting on this thread so I can see the great photos being uploaded. We had high winds today and I was surprised to see a Kestrel hovering in 20-30 MPH winds. It finally tucked back and got a mouse and ate it on one of our fence posts. I guess they get hungry even in bad weather. Here is an old video of our friends.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahCkyviutXc

Like to go back to the little fella if I may. Presumably it is a flycatcher.

It didn't move much only the head so I didn't get a different aspect but I will post a couple more of the series I got.

post-12069-0-40916200-1400570227_thumb.j post-12069-0-92370100-1400570263_thumb.j

Not a lot to chose from that have a light underside, the second one shows more red at the throat and both have brown on the tail and lighter on the wings and light colored legs.

Thought of Tiga but I have seen several of them and got some photos and it looks different.

Like to go back to the little fella if I may. Presumably it is a flycatcher.

It didn't move much only the head so I didn't get a different aspect but I will post a couple more of the series I got.

attachicon.gifflycatcher 1.JPG attachicon.gifflycatcher 2.JPG

Not a lot to chose from that have a light underside, the second one shows more red at the throat and both have brown on the tail and lighter on the wings and light colored legs.

Thought of Tiga but I have seen several of them and got some photos and it looks different.

Tail is all wrong for Taiga, but this one has me stumped.

I asked Dave Sargent of North Thailand Birding and he believes it is a female Pale Blue Flycatcher.

Looking at the book I use (Nawk Muang Thai) it looks pretty good, there are some photos on his site.

Looked at OBC and there are only 2 photos of the female P B F one of which looks right.

Range looks to be pretty scattered.

I asked Dave Sargent of North Thailand Birding and he believes it is a female Pale Blue Flycatcher.

Looking at the book I use (Nawk Muang Thai) it looks pretty good, there are some photos on his site.

Looked at OBC and there are only 2 photos of the female P B F one of which looks right.

Range looks to be pretty scattered.

OK, but I would be curious to know what rules out Chinese Blue for him. I don't have field experience with either, but one of your pics clearly shows some orange in the throat area. I don't have my Robson with me right now, but Round's "Birds of Thailand" makes no mention of any orange on throat or breast of female Pale Blue (and i don't see any in photos on OBC) but his description of Chinese Blue in "Birds of BKK Area" says "whitish-buffy to pale orange throat..." and pics of female Chinese Blue on OBC show same.

Just posting on this thread so I can see the great photos being uploaded. We had high winds today and I was surprised to see a Kestrel hovering in 20-30 MPH winds. It finally tucked back and got a mouse and ate it on one of our fence posts. I guess they get hungry even in bad weather. Here is an old video of our friends.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahCkyviutXc

I am glad you have seen a hawk,because I thought I read that there are none in Thailand so I couldn't make out a regular visitor to our garden.this week he was in our summer house and just outside our patio doors but trying to get a photo of him I cant the slightest sound and he is gone.he is about the size of a falcon,all grey with a hook beak.

Luckily there are still quite a few hawks in Thailand, meatboy. I have four species breeding within walking distance of my house, and see several others every winter.

If you live in a village or the outskirts of a town in Isan, the chances are your bird is a Shikra, a kind of sparrowhawk (Accipiter) (google Shikra and you'll find plenty of pics)

Both Shikra and Besra are both very common, but both quite stealthy (though they are very conspicuous during the breeding season).

I am sure that I have seen more than 20 species of raptors in Thailand.

Luckily there are still quite a few hawks in Thailand, meatboy. I have four species breeding within walking distance of my house, and see several others every winter.

If you live in a village or the outskirts of a town in Isan, the chances are your bird is a Shikra, a kind of sparrowhawk (Accipiter) (google Shikra and you'll find plenty of pics)

yes ib.it does look like a sparrow hawk,we do live outside the city in a small moo-ban and as our house is almost on its own surrounded by trees.one morning last yr.sat on our balcony early morn.he came and took a bird out of the tree in the opposite house.sometimes he's perched on a lamp post at the back just stareing whats about.

yes ib.it does look like a sparrow hawk,we do live outside the city in a small moo-ban and as our house is almost on its own surrounded by trees.one morning last yr.sat on our balcony early morn.he came and took a bird out of the tree in the opposite house.sometimes he's perched on a lamp post at the back just stareing whats about.

just googled them,thats the one and I have herd the call often pee-wee.

Archived