Birdwatching In Isan

isanbirder

• Replies 752
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seen a couple of brown flycatchers this week, 3 or 4 wagtails down by the river and a couple of ashy drongos, one dark and one mid. Nothing else of any note.

As the lady boss promised her sisters kids we would take them somewhere in the school holidays so we are off to Nam Tok Sam Lan NP tomorrow for 2 nights, they can slop around in the water while I go up the hill and look for birds, hope for something new.

Did the 2 nights at Nam Tok Sam Lan and was a bit disappointed in not getting anything new but probably shouldn't be.

Got some good photos of male and female common flameback, grey headed canary flycatcher and black naped oriol and a male white rumped sharme that insisted on having its photo taken, it would flu off then come back and sit in front of me, got within a meter at one stage.

Saw 4 different drongo, ashy, black, greater racket tail and hair crested and have a photo of a flycatcher which is probably a brown but I haven't really had a good look yet. Lots of calls up in the canopy including a flock of laughing thrush who thought my efforts at spotting them were a great joke.

Local, walked down the river this morning, its dropped well down now and here are big sand and mud flats. There was a big flock of small pratincole, 100 + with the odd bigger darker bird among them, they looked to be a migrating flock that was resting as they were not feeding and were separate from other small pratincole which were feeding, they would be the resident birds.

When I put the PIX on the computer the dark ones are oriental pratincole the first I have seen here and a new one for me.

Also a good number of white wagtail feeding, a couple of little ringed plover and a pipit which I dont see many of.

Went back down the river this morning and the Pratincole are still in the same place, reckon I misjudged just how many There are, looks to be a lot more than I thought, probably as many as 500 and possibly more.

Some of then were going and bathing and drinking in a pool left by the dropping river.

Tried to take a couple of photos but the sun was in the wrong direction best I could do was to get a small part of the flock and those at the pool.

post-12069-0-42805400-1415067936_thumb.j

Count over 50 in that photo.

post-12069-0-12210700-1415068032_thumb.j

Counted 25 in and around the water when I took that one.

Also a pair of Blossom headed Parakeets this morning.

Elsewhere saw my first Arctic Warbler a couple of days ago.

There's not been much to report here (and I was away for a while).

The Ashy Minivets first appeared a couple of days ago... and the same day there were three medium to large raptors; wretched views, but I suspect Honey Buzzards. The wintering raptors (Black-eared Kite, Kestrel, Peregrine) just haven't appeared yet. I had both Marsh and Pied Harriers earlier, but they seem to have moved on. No Bazas this year!

There's not been much to report here (and I was away for a while).

The Ashy Minivets first appeared a couple of days ago... and the same day there were three medium to large raptors; wretched views, but I suspect Honey Buzzards. The wintering raptors (Black-eared Kite, Kestrel, Peregrine) just haven't appeared yet. I had both Marsh and Pied Harriers earlier, but they seem to have moved on. No Bazas this year!

Did the 2 nights at Nam Tok Sam Lan and was a bit disappointed in not getting anything new but probably shouldn't be.

Got some good photos of male and female common flameback, grey headed canary flycatcher and black naped oriol and a male white rumped sharme that insisted on having its photo taken, it would flu off then come back and sit in front of me, got within a meter at one stage.

Saw 4 different drongo, ashy, black, greater racket tail and hair crested and have a photo of a flycatcher which is probably a brown but I haven't really had a good look yet. Lots of calls up in the canopy including a flock of laughing thrush who thought my efforts at spotting them were a great joke.

Local, walked down the river this morning, its dropped well down now and here are big sand and mud flats. There was a big flock of small pratincole, 100 + with the odd bigger darker bird among them, they looked to be a migrating flock that was resting as they were not feeding and were separate from other small pratincole which were feeding, they would be the resident birds.

When I put the PIX on the computer the dark ones are oriental pratincole the first I have seen here and a new one for me.

Also a good number of white wagtail feeding, a couple of little ringed plover and a pipit which I dont see many of.

Which river and where? I really like these pratincole. Are they a migratory sp in Thailand?

Isanbirder, thanks for reviving this topic, I had not seen it previously. Wife and I returned to Thailand and rebuilt about 40km S.E. of Surin last year. The new house is part of a small village, but we have river front land and an adjacent lagoon that surrounds us about 270 degrees. We have a large balcony with views over all this that gives us exceptional birding views, all day everyday. I find it easy to get +1000 photos daily and after 7 months believe I am getting close to having reasonable shots of most of the wide variety of birds living or visiting here. I need to get some discipline to sort and work on the identifications I have made. I hope I can get some support from this forum for the ID's that I cannot confirm.

It seems to me, lower Isaan in particular is largely ignored by the birding community in Thailand. Does not seem justified. I don't know much, but I'm learning. I'm pleased to report in our village area I have not seen any bird shooting or netting. They shoot fish. Also, the Cambodian border/Dongrek mountains are only 30km south. This area is more heavily forested and the land mines on both sides of the border have created sanctuary.

Be pleased to have any of you visit, just PM me. Some of my bird pics are in http://picasaweb.google.com/Colinhmartin

I really hope this forum can find a new lease of life.

Really great photos!!

Which river and where? I really like these pratincole. Are they a migratory sp in Thailand?

The Chao Phraya river in Singburi.

I would think this is a migrating flock, there are some resident birds here which showed breeding behavior the past season but they have kept separate from this big flock.

Went down the river again Thursday and the flock has all gone.

Yesterday at a favorite swamp I saw a purple heron fly past, first I have seen here.

The black bittern I got a photo of a short time back looks to have taken up residence there for I have seen it every time I have been back. Likes to sit in the top of trees where I cant see it and fly off when I get close.

Also a couple of snipe flew up from under my feet, they never land where I can see them.

Interesting thing about Snipe (and a lot of other waders) is that it's easier to get close to them if you're on a motorbike rather than on foot. I don't know why this is... perhaps they mistake you for a buffalo which they are quite used to. But a lot of my better pics of Snipe were taken from a motorbike. Here is an OK pic of a Pintail... not my best, but one that is available to me right now. From Surin a few years ago.

post-91156-0-08911800-1415490117_thumb.j

A car can be even better, AjarnNorth. Many years ago, I used to watch waders at the Jurong Prawn-ponds (long since gone) in Singapore. The mud came right up to the road, and I could stop and watch through the car window. One day, only a few feet from the road, I saw a Spoon-billed Sandpiper!

Black Bitterns do seem to like perching on the tops of trees, an odd habit for a bird which is otherwise a skulker.

This morning, I saw a raptor winging southwards mobbed by a couple of crows. Broad rounded wings, quite a short tail, and whitish underwings. Sounds like a Himalayan Buzzard, though I'm a bit far south for this.

A few days ago a Little Grebe, my first in autumn (I've had a few in May before).

Saw a raptor fly past this morning, as usual to far away to get good photos but I did get several distant ones.

Was flying low down and obviously hunting.

Dark underside with distinct light mark on the back of the neck and white under and over the eye. Doesn't seem to fit with anything I have in my books

Any ideas welcome

post-12069-0-67337600-1415800192_thumb.j

post-12069-0-85734000-1415800360_thumb.j

post-12069-0-05476300-1415800500_thumb.j

Eastern Marsh-Harrier would be my best guess based on these photos, Robby.

Agreed. In the last picture, the pale head and the angle of the wings are conclusive. Probably a first-winter bird.

A few days ago, I had a bird very much like this.... sparring with an equally young Pied Harrier. Apart from the size, the pale head was the most distinctive feature.

Eastern Marsh-Harrier would be my best guess based on these photos, Robby.

Agreed. In the last picture, the pale head and the angle of the wings are conclusive. Probably a first-winter bird.

A few days ago, I had a bird very much like this.... sparring with an equally young Pied Harrier. Apart from the size, the pale head was the most distinctive feature.

Marsh Harrier was my guess also, a first for me.

Thanks once again.

Been seeing several snipe in the same place so I hatched a cunning plan and this morning went to sit quietly in the shade of an old broken shelter overlooking harvested paddy where I had seen them.

After a time a small group of egrets at the other end of the paddy flew up and what I thought was a Red wattled Lapwing flew quickly from them towards me . When it got closer I could see it was a raptor, black head and black wing tips, got one poor out of focus photo before it disappeared, enough to definitely say it is a Pied Harrier, another first for me.

Walked along a bit and 2 snipe flew up, one went behind me to where I had been sitting so I backtracked and it flew up again and landed in front of me, got some good photos of a male Greater painted Snipe. I have seen other species of snipe there as well so I will return.

Farther along was a flock of Wood Sandpiper, and Yellow Bittern that posed so well hanging on to the stem of a lotus that I had to take its photo, so a good morning for birds.

post-12069-0-47003500-1416056350_thumb.j

At the risk of monopolizing this topic.........

Yesterday morning went back down the river and the pratincole are back, whether it is the same flock or another I don't know but there looks to be many more than before. Only spotted one oriental.

The river has risen about a meter and a half and there are some islands left, the flock was on one of those with a few birds on a smaller island, while I was watching part of the flock rose up and wheeled around then landed on the river bank, I went closer to them and counted about a hundred that had left the main flock.

Then took a couple of photos of the birds on the island, someone with a bigger screen than mine might like to have a go at a count.

post-12069-0-50155800-1416227490_thumb.j

The island after the breakaway flock of about 100 had left.

post-12069-0-92175700-1416227573_thumb.j

A part of the island with a little ringed plover in the foreground, you can see how closely bunched the birds are.

Off to Phu Toi NP again tomorrow intending to camp 2 nights so hope to see something new.

Been researching that part of the world and it seems it is all connected to multiple NP's and sanctuaries, have a look at : http://www.thaiwhic.go.th/eng/heritage_nature.aspx

A flock of six Painted Stork this morning, line ahead. They always seem more organised than Openbills! Apart from one on 17th, these were the first I've seen this year (none in June/July like previous years).

Still no Black-eared Kites, but we've had cooler weather the past couple of days, so maybe that'll bring them down.

A flock of six Painted Stork this morning, line ahead. They always seem more organised than Openbills! Apart from one on 17th, these were the first I've seen this year (none in June/July like previous years).

Still no Black-eared Kites, but we've had cooler weather the past couple of days, so maybe that'll bring them down.

Went to Phu Toi for two nights with the tent and ended up staying for 3, drove over the road from one side of the park to the other and up to the pine forest on top of the hill, then the next day went up to the Karan village.

We have an old ISUZU station wagon, high with good wide A/T tires which handled the rough roads OK, first and second gear all the way, I've had plenty of experience on rough farm tracks in NZ so no problem for me but I wont do these roads again, been there done that. A car would never have made it.

Most of the birds were down in the lower parts of the forest edge on both sides of the park, real chuffed with what I saw and managed to get photos of, new birds for me are (with photos) :

Blue-bearded Bee-eater

Golden-fronted Leafbird

Verditer Flycatcher

Will post some photos of others which I haven't been able to ID, one sunbird and two or three warblers.

There is also a Shrike which I am picking to be a juvenile Grey-backed Shrike, if confirmed it will be another new one.

Other species of note :

Racket-tailed treepai

Asian Drongo Cuckoo

Asian Emerald Cuckoo

2 Barred Warbler

Ashey Drongo

Black-naped Monarch

Barn Swallow

Chestnut-headed bee-eater

Others I saw but didn't get photos of :

Puff-throated Babbler

Grey-headed Canary-flycatcher

Green-billed Malkoha

post-12069-0-68352300-1416745574_thumb.j

Looks to be one of the sunbirds.

post-12069-0-46482100-1416745684_thumb.j

very small bird possibly one of the warblers.

post-12069-0-80005500-1416745793_thumb.j

Possibly a leaf warbler, was right up the top of the hill, the only bird I saw up there.

post-12069-0-79238500-1416745875_thumb.j

Warbler.

post-12069-0-93011600-1416745925_thumb.j post-12069-0-53729000-1416745963_thumb.j

May be the same species as the previous.

post-12069-0-36130300-1416746016_thumb.j post-12069-0-78177300-1416746049_thumb.j

Probably the same bird as it flew from where I first saw it, looks from the OBC data base to be a juvenile Grey backed Shrike.

Only problem with a trip like that is that I want more.

I was at this little known wildlife sanctuary about 30km NW of Kamphaeng Phet, elevation approx 150m and found what appears to be a Sunbird but going through C.Robson's guidebook didn't yield any match. The slender bill should rule out Flowerpecker too I think. Any ideas? Thanks.

post-128422-0-42196600-1416969275_thumb.

post-128422-0-52899800-1416969285_thumb.

I was at this little known wildlife sanctuary about 30km NW of Kamphaeng Phet, elevation approx 150m and found what appears to be a Sunbird but going through C.Robson's guidebook didn't yield any match. The slender bill should rule out Flowerpecker too I think. Any ideas? Thanks.

Female Ruby-cheeked Sunbird, I think.

Archived