Birdwatching In Isan

isanbirder

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 752
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a bird question. I am a novice bird enthusiast and I live on Huay Senang Reservoir just outside Surin. Birds that I am fairly sure I’ve seen here include:

Coucals (Greater, I think), Common Hoopoe, Painted Stork, Common Myna, Crow (?), Great Bittern, Green Bee-Eater, Fulvous Breasted Woodpecker, Peaceful Dove, Pied Bushcat, lots of others I have yet to ID.

Here’s my question. In mid August, a parakeet landed on my kitchen window sill and stayed there for nearly two hours allowing me and my wife to walk right up to it. It wasn’t startled by our presence at all, and my wife was able to put a tomato slice right next to it without it flying away. Camera was out of batteries and I was sure if I went to get more it would be gone when I got back. We were cleaning and banging stuff around and still the bird just sat. I am fairly certain it was a juvenile Grey-Headed Parakeet (using Craig Robson guide). Has anyone else seen these in the area? Has anyone seen this kind of behavior in any other parakeet in these parts? Are these commonly kept as pets here?

Eventually, it flew off (of course), but because it was so comfortable with our presence I was left wondering if it might not have been an escaped pet.

Hi AjarnNorth, welcome aboard.

I live about 30-40 km SE from you. I'm guessing about March this year on a country road returning from Huay Senang Reservoir (maybe +/- 10-15km) I saw my first parrot in the area. Too quick for a pic, but I am sure it was a Red-breasted Parakeet.

About June, a flock of these (maybe +100 birds) took up residence in some trees 250-300m from my house. They were shy and too hard to approach for a good pic. They stayed very active feeding daily within a couple of kilometers radius until end of September, they have since moved on. Mid-September, one did me the honors of spending 1/2 hour 30m from the house. A few days later the whole flock did a couple of close flybys the house. Beautiful birds, still the only parrot I have seen here.

Interesting time of year with lots of changes of behavior of resident and migratory birds. I notice the Lesser Whistling Ducks are starting to flock (they have been 1-3 groups for months) and I guess they will move on soon. Anyone know where to? A few weeks ago, I saw probably +/- 1000 Green Bee Eaters together at dusk, some kind of food bonanza on the ground I think. The Herons and Egrets (not my strong ID area) are increasing daily and forming into larger flocks, but they go in all directions. By year end, it will be an organized daily migration of formation flying.

Here is the Red-breasted Parakeet.

post-66519-1255404254_thumb.jpg

I haven't seen any parakeets in my area, nor do I expect to (too deforested). But you never know. Anything is possible here! Having said that, I would doubt, Ajarn North, whether you saw a Great Bittern; all the rest sound more than likely.

My latest excitements were the three Red-necked Phalaropes I saw swimming on a bit of flooded paddy, and the Red Avadavats which have started nest-building less than a km from my house.

Egrets:- Great and Little Egrets are numerous... and my local paddy was flooded with Chinese Pond-Herons suddenly a couple of weeks ago. Most winter visitors come in dribs and drabs; these came all at once.

Thanks all for the input. As I said, I am a complete novice. I have been carrying around a Robson guide for a few years now, but have just started trying to actually ID birds in the last few months.

Isanbirder and Hanno, based on your input I am scratching "Great Bittern" until I can get a better look. Whatever it is I am seeing there are a fair share nesting in reeds near my house so I ought to be able to get a better look soon.

Chinavet, I haven't seen any of the Red-Breasted Parrots that you saw in the area. The bird that sat on my window ledge was 15 centimeters at most and had a blue crown and a green breast which is why I was going with juvelile Grey-Headed, but as I said its behavior was so odd that it may have been an escaped pet.

I was out on the lake in the evening yesterday and saw a dozen or so Painted Storks as well as some Egrets and a few passing flocks of ducks too distant to ID. If any birders find yourself in the area and would like to take the boat out and see what is to be seen you are welcome to it.

Grey Heron? Anyone else seeing these? The Robson guide has it as a resident of Cambodia and former resident of C. Thailand. Absolutely saw one adult this morning along with what I believe were some juveniles nearby. Had a good 20 minute look through telescope.

Grey Herons winter in large numbers in Northern Vietnam and I am sure they are winter visitors in Thailand as well. My software is on another PC but I am sure I have seen them in Thailand. Robson: "Uncommon to fairly common winter visitor.

I had a couple of Grey Herons wintering on my local area of paddy last year, and saw two a month ago but not since. Don't trust the distribution details in the books too much; they have to cover a country with a wide range of habitats etc, and Isan in particular is still very little known.

Back to your Bitterns, Ajarn North, if they're breeding they can only be Cinnamon Bitterns or Black Bitterns, though both are much smaller than Great Bitterns; Chinese Pond-herons are winter visitors (at least in my area, between Surin and Buriram), and you needn't worry too much about the other pond-herons unless they're in summer plumage.

Pleased to hear you're seeing Painted Storks; these seem to have spread from Cambodia in the past few years. I had them December to January and May to June in the past year, and a friend actually saw them in Swampy Airport. Most of my birds were adult, except for three juveniles at the end of May, which presumably means post-breeding dispersal. Don't you also get the much commoner Openbills?

Funny you should mention Openbills, Isanbirder. No less than 25 this morning! I was out for a run and saw them in flight and then landing. At this time of year at Huay Senang, there are large islands of floating vegetation that, I think, are a result of the water levels rising so dramatically. At present, there is a large island near the center of the lake in front of my place and at the end of the road (in front of Chai Nam restaurant in case anyone is in the area) a lot of floating vegetation. The later is where I saw the Openbills. After my run I drove back with my telescope and was able to get very good looks at a number of them. I have a fairly good Meade telescope that is heavy and impractical, but great for my porch and the occasional car sojourn. Not something you would carry on a hike!

Yesterday afternoon/evening, after posting here, I was again able to get very good looks at the Grey Heron via telescope from my porch, of which a dozen or so can be seen in the center island of floating vegetation. They perch on the floating veg and feed and they don't move much (unless startled by para-gliders as they were yesterday evening). They were there again this morning.

Also yesterday afternoon, a Purple Heron in among the Greys (on the same island of veg anyway). Anybody seeing these? I only saw the one. And a number of very large Egrets, but these seem to favor the far side of the lake so I will need to get over there for a better look sometime over the weekend.

The painted storks I saw were in flight when I was out on the boat. My presence startled them and so no good long stationary look, but as they passed they seemd a dead match for the illustration of same in flight in Robson. I haven't seen them since with the telescope so I'll keep an eye out for them and post again.

The Great Bittern was absolutely not, as you more experienced birders already knew, a Great Bittern. Somehow between flicking back and forth between the color plates and the notes in the back, I misread the size. I didn't realize until after you all had commented on the unlikelihood and I had a chance to check the guide again. Whatever I saw/am seeing was not even close to 70-80 cm. Maybe half that. My Gaffe! When I get a good look, I'll post about it. Thanks for setting me straight.

Chinavet, I had a chance to look at your bird pics yesterday. Great pics and looks like you have a great set up where you are. I have a question, though. In your September 5 album, picture number 322, yellow head, white breast, dark brown back with some white on wings and tail? I have been seeing a lot of these but can't find it in my guide. Anyone?

OK. That's all from me today. Excuse my enthusiasm.

Ajarn North, it is a Black Collared Starling. I have a pair that are fairly regular visitors and I see them occasionally around the region.

I would like to pop up and see your views sometimes (I like the water country). Maybe we should go visit Isaanbirder and try to learn a few things?

Aha. Thanks, Chinavet. The illustration of the Black-Collared Starling in my Robson guide has a small fleshy yellow patch around the eye that seems much less prominent than what I have been seeing. Maybe because I am often looking up at them, I was looking for a more prominent yellow head and kept passing over that illustration. Also, the head in the illustration looks a little bigger than I have been seeing. When I saw your picture, I knew absolutely that's what I have been seeing. Saw a few this morning in fact.

You are more than welcome to pop around here anytime. Weekends are best. I'll PM you contact info. And yes, I've a lot to learn and would certainly be up for a road trip over towards Buriram sometime. Also like to come by your place sometime.

Aha. Thanks, Chinavet. The illustration of the Black-Collared Starling in my Robson guide has a small fleshy yellow patch around the eye that seems much less prominent than what I have been seeing. Maybe because I am often looking up at them, I was looking for a more prominent yellow head and kept passing over that illustration. Also, the head in the illustration looks a little bigger than I have been seeing. When I saw your picture, I knew absolutely that's what I have been seeing. Saw a few this morning in fact.

You are more than welcome to pop around here anytime. Weekends are best. I'll PM you contact info. And yes, I've a lot to learn and would certainly be up for a road trip over towards Buriram sometime. Also like to come by your place sometime.

The head of the Black-collared Starling can look almost completely yellow; staining from pollen, I guess, but anyway, staining of some sort.

I'll pm you with a list of my sightings here.

Thanks for this thread - it has really enthused me, after four years of birding of a different kind, to dig out the Leica binocs and Canon camera gear of a former life (lying moribund in the UK waiting for me to get an extra luggage allowance) and get out there.

Anyone got suggestions for Ubon province. No forget that - have lakes and Cambodian border hills and jungle within 30k - should keep me happy exploring for a few years. Some poster's comment about land mines above was a useful reminder though!

Thanks for this thread - it has really enthused me, after four years of birding of a different kind, to dig out the Leica binocs and Canon camera gear of a former life (lying moribund in the UK waiting for me to get an extra luggage allowance) and get out there.

Anyone got suggestions for Ubon province. No forget that - have lakes and Cambodian border hills and jungle within 30k - should keep me happy exploring for a few years. Some poster's comment about land mines above was a useful reminder though!

Hi SantiSuk,

The camera and binoculars are still good for the two legged variety. Ubon will have most of what we are seeing in Surin & Buri Ram but because of the more diverse habitats, you should be spoilt with more variety. Ubon is great and I have made 6-7 trips this year. A lot of National Park area along the Cambodian border is still closed though.

If you are driving to Ubon, PM me and we can arrange for you to break the trip up.

Hi SantiSuk,

The camera and binoculars are still good for the two legged variety. Ubon will have most of what we are seeing in Surin & Buri Ram but because of the more diverse habitats, you should be spoilt with more variety. Ubon is great and I have made 6-7 trips this year. A lot of National Park area along the Cambodian border is still closed though.

If you are driving to Ubon, PM me and we can arrange for you to break the trip up.

Let me know if you see one with more than two legs????

I once met a farmer who had successfully bred 4 legged chickens. When I asked him what they tasted like, he said "Buggered if I know, I've never manged to catch one of the blighters". Where did that tumbleweed come from?

Does anyone know what's happened to the Buri Ram bird park? We used to visit every so often, but for a while now there's been a barrier across the gate and I've never bothered stopping to find out if you can still go in or not.

I once met a farmer who had successfully bred 4 legged chickens. When I asked him what they tasted like, he said "Buggered if I know, I've never manged to catch one of the blighters". Where did that tumbleweed come from?

Does anyone know what's happened to the Buri Ram bird park? We used to visit every so often, but for a while now there's been a barrier across the gate and I've never bothered stopping to find out if you can still go in or not.

I can explain my 'two legged variety' remark....early onset of senile dementia. I have performed an in-depth review of my observation techniques and I can now confirm all the birds in my vicinity only have two legs.

• 2 weeks later...

Being an avid bird watcher in my earlier years i asked my wife why i see so little birds in Essan

I was told eat, eat all, what I said yes everybody eat all. People think this food.

Outside country Essan, no have lots of food to eat.

Kill because eat your food you grow.

Kill and sell for food and for sell.anything can get eat.

kill anything bird frog rat if can eat or sell.Everybody know this not correct but some peaple no have food to eat.

No have job to do some people go to jungle catch eat .

this word for word. Asked you do.NO this not correct like birds in my garden.

wife's family do not need wild animals as they are fairly wealthy, with parents and all children having businesses and land with many domestic animals.

come to think of it i saw small birds in freezer on more than one occasion. on asking was told mama like to eat small bird.

what i can understand from this is people are hungry and must eat frogs, rats, lizards, dog's.

Ah, d myth of the locals having eaten all the birds; I hear this in Vietnam all the time, too. There are actually plenty of birds in Isaan, just as there are in Vietnam. It is true that you will see few birds in the rice paddies these days, but that has more to do with the excessive use of herbicides, pesticides, fungicides and probably a few "cides" more. I have taken people bird watching in Vietnam and they were surprised at the number of birds; this after having told me there are no birds :)

Being an avid bird watcher in my earlier years i asked my wife why i see so little birds in Essan

I was told eat, eat all, what I said yes everybody eat all. People think this food.

Outside country Essan, no have lots of food to eat.

Kill because eat your food you grow.

Kill and sell for food and for sell.anything can get eat.

kill anything bird frog rat if can eat or sell.Everybody know this not correct but some peaple no have food to eat.

No have job to do some people go to jungle catch eat .

this word for word. Asked you do.NO this not correct like birds in my garden.

wife's family do not need wild animals as they are fairly wealthy, with parents and all children having businesses and land with many domestic animals.

come to think of it i saw small birds in freezer on more than one occasion. on asking was told mama like to eat small bird.

what i can understand from this is people are hungry and must eat frogs, rats, lizards, dog's.

I don't know which part of Isan you come from, but in my area (between Krasang and Huai Rat), it is not true that there are few birds about. Nor have I seen any evidence of locals trapping and eating birds, though I suspect it happens occasionally. I hear shooting... but if they've got any sense, this will be mostly after pigeons, which are abundant here.

Yes, people do eat snails, frogs, crabs, snakes, and almost anything they can get, but to catch small birds is simply not worth the trouble. The main species which flock on the ripe rice paddy, Yellow-breasted Buntings and Baya Weavers, are very much reduced in numbers (probably, I agree, due to trapping in the past). Some people eat dogs, too, because they like the taste (like many Chinese), not because they're that short of food.

Try and count up the number of species you've seen within easy walking distance of your house; for me the total is 125 species in 18 months... and of these 30 or 40 are decidedly common.

I forgot to add... most of the land is rice paddy; otherwise there are only two small, very much disturbed woods.

I am sure plenty of trapping goes on, but it is generally not for food. Bird meat is a lot more expensive pound for pound than pork. Thus, on the contrary, trapping becomes a problem when the population gets wealthier and serves birds, or keeps them in cages, as a status symbol.

• 2 months later...

As to there not being a lot of birds in Isaan, I live just 10 k from downtown Surin. Since October, I have ID'd approximately 60 species and most of those just from my house/yard. There are dozens more I have seen and not yet been able to ID. And I expect that as the months go by there will be a whole lot more to come. So pretty good birding, in my novice opinion.

• 4 weeks later...

I know this is an Issan forum however I am posting about a bird I saw in Bangkok. I live in a mooban and have lots of flowering bushes. I just spotted a bird that was no more than an arms length from me. It was no more than 3 or 4 cm in length and I would swear it was a hummingbird. Hovering and tiny. I didn't get a chance to note any markings but it was a greenish olive color. If not a hummingbird then what could it be? I looked up sunbirds and from the info I gathered they are at least 10cm.

I know this is an Issan forum however I am posting about a bird I saw in Bangkok. I live in a mooban and have lots of flowering bushes. I just spotted a bird that was no more than an arms length from me. It was no more than 3 or 4 cm in length and I would swear it was a hummingbird. Hovering and tiny. I didn't get a chance to note any markings but it was a greenish olive color. If not a hummingbird then what could it be? I looked up sunbirds and from the info I gathered they are at least 10cm.

Hummingbirds are an American family; there are none here.... and even if someone kept one in captivity (already difficult), it is highly unlikely to survive as an escape. From the behaviour it must have been a sunbird, probably an Olive-backed. If it was really only 3 or 4 cms long, it cannot have been a bird; there just aren't any so small here. An outside possibility is one of the humming-bird hawk-moths (I don't know the species here), but presumably you can tell a bird from a moth! With these very small birds, it is easy to think they're smaller than they are; sometimes they seem to look just like bumble-bees.

• 3 months later...

In a cherry tree, two meter from my window, I found this smal birds today. Smaler than the cherry blades. 5-6 cm I think.

Colour of the man dark blue and black, and his wife brown.

The house they buildt is about 5 cm high.

I live in south Isaan.

post-21674-1273241807_thumb.jpg

post-21674-1273241849_thumb.jpg

Yes, people do eat snails, frogs, crabs, snakes, and almost anything they can get, but to catch small birds is simply not worth the trouble.

Mike, I am sorry to say that I regularly see our villagers use catapults and air rifles for catching then eating birds here (8k from Surin in the Presat direction)

I also see a lot of those beautifully small sunbirds too.

Yes, people do eat snails, frogs, crabs, snakes, and almost anything they can get, but to catch small birds is simply not worth the trouble.

Mike, I am sorry to say that I regularly see our villagers use catapults and air rifles for catching then eating birds here (8k from Surin in the Presat direction)

I also see a lot of those beautifully small sunbirds too.

I see the kids with catapults, but have never yet seen anybody with birds they've shot or trapped (and I doubt whether our villagers are any more enlightened than yours!). It's certainly not done as a money-earner. (I think I was referring mainly to the cagebird trade in that post, Dave).

Purple Sunbirds are common wherever there is woodland... and if you're lucky you may see an even more spectacular Sunbird, the Ruby-cheeked. The male is brilliant emerald above, bright yellow below, with red and orange markings round the head.

Archived