Birdwatching In Isan

isanbirder

I used to have a Collared Scops around until about 3 or 4 months back. Since then it hasn't been heard anymore and I fear for its well-being. My neighbours tell me they don't like owls as they are a bad omen and to have an owl perch in one's yard and calling demands immediate action-usually taken down or driven away with sling-shots.

That one that hung around here didn't sport ear tufts like yours. I find it quite amazing this same bird can look so different physically. OBC has many images and with as many 'variations' in plumage.

Perhaps fitting a cone shaped funnel or net around this coconut trunk will stop further raiding by the water monitors.

Can't say for certain, Jack, but I am not sure you should be fearing for your CSO's well being because you haven't heard it in a while. I haven't heard one in a couple months either and it turns out there are two right next to my house! Philip Round's "The Bird of Bangkok Area" has their nesting season beginning in Feb. Maybe once they are paired up they tend to call less? Again, this just a guess. But as i said, I haven't heard a CSO call in quite some time and the two I have now have not made a sound.

• Replies 752
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Or a monkey-baffle like they use on the TV aerials in Lopburi. This is just an inverted cone of metal which the monkeys (allegedly) can't climb over.

I may try something like this, IB and Jack, but the tree is very tall and nestled in with a number of other trees which have branches that either touch or come very near to the dead palm much higher up than I would even be able to get. A monitor or python could easily cross from one of those trees to the palm.

Just an owl update. The CSO's are still present and doing fine thus far. They make a regular appearance each evening around 6:30 and then fly off, one first, the other a couple minutes later.They are also sometimes present in the very early AM, neither a good time for pics with the low-end gear I use. The two pics here from yesterday evening.

post-91156-0-04331300-1428796039_thumb.j

post-91156-0-83761700-1428796063_thumb.j

We live in Udon Thani province and yesterday an Asian Koei (นกกาเหว่า) nohk gaa wao was in the yard. I'd heard them at a distance before but up close the cry was exceptionally shrill. I tried to get a photo but due to the foliage in the tree couldn't manage a clear shot.

Quite often I hear a bird that I have yet to see. It makes a call that sounds to me like the little rubber bulb horns that one sees on children's tricycles or the horn that push cart vendors sometimes toot as they make their rounds. It is a continuous "toot toot" and may last for several minutes. As was listening to it, I asked my wife what was making the sound and she said it was a bird. She doesn't know the name of the bird though. I realize that my description of the call is rather feeble but I am wondering if anyone might know what this bird could be? I looked back through this thread and didn't come across any posts that I thought answered my question. If I missed it, I apologize. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

We live in Udon Thani province and yesterday an Asian Koei (นกกาเหว่า) nohk gaa wao was in the yard. I'd heard them at a distance before but up close the cry was exceptionally shrill. I tried to get a photo but due to the foliage in the tree couldn't manage a clear shot.

Quite often I hear a bird that I have yet to see. It makes a call that sounds to me like the little rubber bulb horns that one sees on children's tricycles or the horn that push cart vendors sometimes toot as they make their rounds. It is a continuous "toot toot" and may last for several minutes. As was listening to it, I asked my wife what was making the sound and she said it was a bird. She doesn't know the name of the bird though. I realize that my description of the call is rather feeble but I am wondering if anyone might know what this bird could be? I looked back through this thread and didn't come across any posts that I thought answered my question. If I missed it, I apologize. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I am guessing tour tooting bird is a Coppersmith Barbet. Here is a link to some call recordings you can compare to.

https://macaulaylibrary.org/search?media_collection=1&taxon_id=12008484&taxon_rank_id=67&q=Coppersmith+Barbet

By golly, I believe that's it. A stunning little bird. I've never been able to get close enough to really determine what it looked like. Thanks AjarnNorth for your assistance and the outstanding link.

I really don't know much about birds but I spend a lot of time fishing and I see and hear many species that I find fascinating. One of my fishing buddies is a birdwatcher from the UK and has taught me a lot. I will share this information with him and I suspect he will find it as interesting as I have. I really appreciate your help.

BTW: We had a Common Kestrel take up residence on a house ledge across the street from us a couple of weeks ago. He arrives in the evenings and leaves sometime before I get up in the mornings. I managed to get a couple of photos but it was about 40 meters away and not real clear.

Was birding an area of fishponds i regularly visit here in Bangsaen, Chonburi the day before yesterday with a friend and he spotted this nest/clutch of eggs.After some reading and comparing, I am 99 percent sure they are Black-winged Stilt eggs. We didn't see the bird on the nest but BWS are some of the most common birds to the area and breed there every year. Also, I had photos of a BWS nest in Surin to compare with. We visited again yesterday and the eggs are doing fine thus far, but the nest is pretty exposed and so they could become food for any number of predators. I'll be checking back there near daily and if they do hatch hope to get some pics of their first days.

post-91156-0-83458500-1428983122_thumb.j

Yep. Here is a BWS nest from Surin from four or five years ago. I had seen the bird sitting and presumed it was sitting on a clutch so I rowed out in a boat to have a look. Unfortunately, the water levels rose quickly over the next few days and the nest and eggs were submerged so did not survive.

post-91156-0-33214500-1428987101_thumb.j

No stilts here yet; I usually get them in late May or June. I don't doubt you, Jack, but that's a very dry situation for a stilt's nest. Round my way the Oriental Pratincoles are holding territories. but I haven't seen a nest.

But we do have water! A couple of days ago, some villagers drained one of the temple ponds overnight (just outside my place) to catch fish.... and four or five neighbouring paddyfields were flooded. I checked them hoping for waders; no such luck, but I did have three glorious male Eastern Yellow Wagtails. This was a 'first' for my area (usually too dry), and what beauties!

This morning they were gone, but there was a female. And 100 or more Openbills.

IB, nice one on the Yellow WTs.

On the nests, I would have thought so too, IB, and said as much to my friend at first... nest seemed too dry... why not in a safer area and on wet vegetation. But we also found an empty nest nearby - also spotted by him - a bit closer to the water but equally dry.

While there yesterday to check on the eggs (status quo) had my first Ruddy-breasted Crake. Light was waning and photos are awful, but had great extended looks with the bins as the bird kept coming out from cover to "bathe."

Common enough and considering the areas i have done most of my birding this is a bird I should have seen some time ago (and perhaps have in a fleeting "What was that?" moment when you see a skulking bird for an instant before it disappears into cover). But always good to see something new!

post-91156-0-36030200-1429060471_thumb.j

post-91156-0-60427900-1429060591_thumb.j

That BWS nest I sighted was on a mound maybe a couple of meters from the water's edge. Most of my sightings are made while I am in a boat.

Over the last few weeks, I have added a single Forest Wagtail which was quite confiding and at least 2 Dollarbirds in flight. There was a flock of swifts probably up to a dozen and these were larger sized and more 'stocky' in appearance and what drew my attention was their very audible heavy wing beats. They were circling a bay like area of the lake but not skimming the water. No idea what they were.

Yesterday I had a Brown shrike in my backyard briefly. Over-wintering I think.

Haven't seen a single leaf warbler for at least 2 weeks.

Strange you should mention leaf warblers, Jack!

I get very few here (not much habitat), but this morning I had a Dusky. Not a bird I see often... and mine never seem to go 'tic, tic', which they always did in Hong Kong (and in AjarnNorth's garden!). Maybe I'm misidentifying them, but I don't think so.

I'm still getting Brown Shrikes almost every day.

Strange you should mention leaf warblers, Jack!

I get very few here (not much habitat), but this morning I had a Dusky. Not a bird I see often... and mine never seem to go 'tic, tic', which they always did in Hong Kong (and in AjarnNorth's garden!). Maybe I'm misidentifying them, but I don't think so.

I'm still getting Brown Shrikes almost every day.

I saw only a few Dusky this year - but that i think more to time spent than anything else. A few at a swampy area next to my place of work and a few out in the fishpond area. And yes, they were tic tic more often than not, but not always.

Om the subject of BWS nests and dry vs. wet placing, I was out again today to check on the nest my friend spotted four days ago (still 4 healthy looking eggs) and he spotted another nest. This one much closer to the water and wet. But clearly also another BWS clutch, though this one with only two eggs.

post-91156-0-73911800-1429194578_thumb.j

Was out on the lake this morning and those 'swifts' were around again. Got couple of pics here and after looking up in Robson's Field guide I think they are Brown-backed Needletails.

C.Robson did mention the loud 'whooshing' sound of their flapping wings so that helped in my ID attempt.

Also took a pic of this accipiter. I am leaving it as that...need help from you folks to pin it down!

post-128422-0-97940100-1429251816_thumb.

post-128422-0-47561500-1429251830_thumb.

post-128422-0-53982400-1429251846_thumb.

Certainly needletails, and the dark throat confirms that they are Brown-backed.

The raptor is a M Shikra (I say this with confidence despite my recent mistakes, as I saw one this morning!). Nice picture.

You beat me to it! The Shikra had me double guessing as the eye is very "open" and the white supercilium more prominent than the black. The eye itself seems black - I guess very dark red in fact. Swift (needletail) shot is nice - I still don't have one of these.

Thanks guys. I was left looking at the 2 sparrowhawks (Jap and Chinese) and Shikra in Robson's book but just couldn't pick one that fits. Also have 'Raptors of the World' and it says Shikra have orange-red eyes. I give up!facepalm.gif

I've only seen B. Needletail once, in Kao Yai. Great pics. And yep, M Shikra. I have them nearly every day on my soi.

Went back to the same fishponds I have posted about above - the BWS nest of four, the RB Crake, the BWS nest of yesterday with just two eggs - returned this evening and the clutch of 2 was now 3.

Also had c. 100 Pacific Golden Plovers which I see often but had not seen in some weeks, and one Dusky Warbler, as well as the usual redshank, greenshank, SPs, and etc.

The M Shikra showed up again today, and perched quite close to me. It was a very pale bird (much paler above and below than your pic), and the eye was black (though I thought I caught a glint of red as the light caught it).

I've seen unidentified flycatchers in the canopy on both Friday and today. I think they're Dark-sided, which I get almost annually at the end of April or even in early May. They're always up at the tops of the trees, and it can be difficult to get a good look at them.

I guess I shouldn't give too much relevance to eye color in bird ID.

The heat is extreme here and kept me indoors but my bird bath is very popular with the Streak-eared and Sooty-headed bulbuls, Peaceful doves, Indian Mynas, Pied fantails and Tree sparrows.

Less common I have Racket-tailed treepies and Green-billed Malkoha visiting for a drink and bath.

The heat is extreme here too, and unusually I shortened my morning walk accordingly. But I did see a flock of 34 Lesser Whistling Duck on the village reservoir. I've always been surprised how few birds those reservoirs seem to attract.

These duck are beginning to move out from Huai Saneng to breed in the rice paddies..... but we'll need a lot more rain first. I don't get LWD or Cotton Teal here in the winter.

Yesterday a female Koel crashed into my bedroom window, broke its neck. Maybe desperate for the airconditioning?

Since I posted on here last I have been tripping around the country a bit, took some friends from NZ up to Kanchanaburi and Sanklaburi, didn't have much time for birds as they were doing the tourist thing but sneaked out in the mornings before they woke and got away when we took them to Hellfire Pass.

Black naped Oriole was the only bird of note at Kan, saw an Osprey perched on a dead tree in the lake at SKB, a pipit and Chinese pond Heron on the shore.

Best was Hellfire Pass where there was a mixed flock of small birds in the trees along the rail bed, warblers, probably Arctic from the photos I got, sunbirds, unfortunately I couldn't get photos of the males but they were very colorful, a pair of Golden fronted Leafbirds and a Velvet fronted Nuthatch.

That place is well worth a stop if you are ever going past.

We stopped at Chaloem Rattanakosin NP for a couple of nights on the way back where there is a good population of Blue Whistling Thrush as well as more common birds.

Got good photos of a Chinese Sparrowhawk right outside where we stayed and the young people with us went right up to the top waterfall where they saw an unspecified Hornbill. We also saw an Emerald Dove feeding on the road.

We then did 4 nights on Koh Chang Ranong where there is a good population of Pied Hornbill and Brahminy Kites. I did my thing with the birds and as well as birds I have seen before I managed to get 4 new species, A Crimson Sunbird, Yellow Wagtail, Pacific Swallows which had a nest under a bridge and the star of the show a Brown-winged Kingfisher fishing in an estuary.

Also saw a Common Kingfisher which would be late in the year for one of them that far south and as usual missed out on photos of several including a Leafbird I hadn't seen before.

post-12069-0-09909300-1429771013_thumb.j

Off again next week to Mae Wong for a few days in the tent, yes looking for birds with intent. Will do a couple of nights up top then a couple more down by the river, might be even 3 nights each we will see. The main cost of that trip is getting there as it is only 30b a night to camp and with doing our own cooking staying longer isn't a problem.

Black-winged Stilt eggs first spotted by on 12 April hatched yesterday evening. On Thursday evening, still 4 healthy looking eggs. Then yesterday (Friday), arrived at about 5:30 PM and only two of four eggs in the nest still, with the parent birds making a ruckus and trying to chase us away. Shortly thereafter one of the two eggs began to hatch. By 5:45 it was nearly out of the egg and we decided to leave the area for a bit to give the parent birds time to help. Returned at 6:30 and chick seemed healthy and all traces of its egg and placenta and etc. were gone, presumably eaten by parent birds for protein and to not leave scent that may attract snakes or other predators. The remaining egg was beginning to hatch. Returned this morning and nest is empty, but parent birds still making a ruckus trying to scare away intruders. Presumably there are 4 healthy chicks somewhere in the mangroves and shrubbery nearby.

post-91156-0-39858300-1429944845_thumb.j

post-91156-0-29078000-1429944892_thumb.j

post-91156-0-07193300-1429944904_thumb.j

post-91156-0-06274400-1429944941_thumb.j

post-91156-0-51142300-1429944956_thumb.j

I really enjoy reading the posts on Birdwatching In Isan. An amazing about of knowledge and expertise is shared on the thread. To a novice, like myself, it is a great learning tool and very interesting. Thanks for passing along your experiences and excellent photos. Much appreciated.

Late season Whiskered Terns (about 6) seen on my lake this morning. They all are sporting breeding plumage too.

I recall back in July/Aug last year those WTs I saw were of 'dull' plumage (non-breeding?)

I think these birds are merely transiting on their way back to wherever they came from.

And yet more BWS eggs. Another clutch of 4.

I startled the parents when I boated past. This nest is on a mound about the size of a billiard table with water all round.

Note the many clam shells adorning the nest. Not sure if the birds collected the shells.

After taking a few photos I left and the one of the parents was very quick to get back to business.

post-128422-0-84374100-1430198339_thumb.

post-128422-0-46880900-1430198641_thumb.

post-128422-0-42644200-1430198663_thumb.

post-128422-0-60580500-1430198683_thumb.

Nesting Update 1 from Chonburi: Black-winged Stilts

As per pics posted above, the first BWS nest found is presumed to have successfully hatched 4.

A second nest (pic posted above) which was much closer to the water had two eggs when found on evening of 16 April and three the following morning. On 25 April early Am we had a huge amount of rain and the nest was inundated when i returned.

A third nest was found, two eggs (with a broken egg not far away) this one, like the first, in a more dry and elevated area.

Like Jack's BWS nests there were shell fragments in one of the old nests found (and also a plastic fork in the nest that was inundated which I imagine may have been mistaken for a shell).

Archived