Birdwatching In Isan

isanbirder

Nesting Update 2 from Chonburi:

In early April I posted pics here (above) of two Collared Scops-Owls nesting in a hollowed out tree but mentioned that I have seen this same tree raided by water monitors on a few occasions when it was host to Myna nests and etc. We've also caught, removed, and relocated four large pythons from the property in the last year and a half and while i haven't seen them raid that tree, they certainly can and do raid nests.

The owls began appearing earlier in mid April and were sometimes visible by 4:30 or so and so got some better pics (below). But last seen on 16 April I started to wonder if the nest hadn't been raided and while i can't say for sure that's my guess.

The day before yesterday my dogs cornered a monitor and I decided to catch it (pics below) and relocate it not just because of the nests but because I thought it would be best to move the monitor to an area with more appropriate habitat as my area is being built up very quickly.

Interesting to note (maybe) that while I heard no CSO call for the entire time they were right there, last night for the fist time in a couple months i heard the call.

post-91156-0-95353000-1430403240_thumb.j

post-91156-0-58897800-1430403281_thumb.j

post-91156-0-94183800-1430403339_thumb.j

post-91156-0-42596900-1430403395_thumb.j

post-91156-0-09160900-1430403420_thumb.j

post-91156-0-98656800-1430403450_thumb.j

• Replies 752
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Time to look out for Dark-sided Flycatchers, in my experience the latest of the flycatcher migrants. I had one on 27th, and another today. Look for them at the extreme tops of trees; they like exposed perches, and often return to the same perch.

Also today at least three Brown Flycatchers in a loose group. Very late for me here. Two had the usual whitish throat, but one had no white on the throat at all.

Time to look out for Dark-sided Flycatchers, in my experience the latest of the flycatcher migrants. I had one on 27th, and another today. Look for them at the extreme tops of trees; they like exposed perches, and often return to the same perch.

Also today at least three Brown Flycatchers in a loose group. Very late for me here. Two had the usual whitish throat, but one had no white on the throat at all.

I had a Dark-sided down here in Chonburi on 27 April as well. With another possible on 29 April though it was getting dark and that one may well have been an Asian Brown.

Back from Mae Wong now and was disappointed with my efforts until I put the camera cards in the computer and see I have pix of over 30 species.

Did the first 3 nights camped at Khun Nam Yen where there is better toilets than Chong Yen and it is only 4 KM from the top of the road. First two days walked down the old Umphang road without seeing as a great deal of birdlife but did get some good shots of Streaked Spiderhunters which were plentiful. Third morning I walked the road up to Chong Yen and saw more birds than the previous two days, notable were two separate nest holes of Blue-throated Barbet and a Grey Treepie.

Then moved to the Mae Wong river through the center of the park where we camped for the next 3 nights. Drove up the 5 KM of road (track) to a great conservation area which has been somewhat neglected, plenty of birdlife on the way up and around the area. there is another road (sort of) that can be driven for about another 2 KM with good birding possibilities.

Significant birds (for me) are : Eyebrow Wren Babbler, Golden-throated Barbet, Streaked Spiderhunter, Blue-throated Barbet, Himalayan Black Bulbul, Blue Winged Pita, Blue-bearded Bee-eater, Violet Cuckoo M & F, Chestnut-winged Cuckoo, Crested Serpent Eagle, Green Peacock, Greater Yellownape, Grey Treepie, White-necked Laughing Thrush, White-crowned Forktail, White-bellied Woodpecker.

Also 3 UFO's which I will work on and several missed opportunities, as soon as I get these things in the viewfinder they are on their way.

The young fella who was with us said he saw a big black and white kingfisher fly past at the river, that is the actual Mae Wong river not the one at the HQ, he is a top observer and knows his birds so I have no doubt that Crested Kingfishers are also present at that river, no reason why they shouldn't be there as there is miles of inaccessible river for them to hunt in without ever being seen, few birders ever go there and lots of fish in the river.

We will return and camp at the conservation area.

post-12069-0-84599300-1430881503_thumb.j

Interesting, almost every small bird I got a look at at Mae Wong turned out to be one of those Flycatchers :

post-12069-0-49099700-1430882951_thumb.j

post-12069-0-29431000-1430882975_thumb.j

post-12069-0-92271200-1430883007_thumb.j

Took the dog out for a walk around the farm and found this little one.

I know it is a Prinia but don't know if it is Plain or Rufescent but feel it is the latter.

Need help thanks.

post-128422-0-24046900-1431516577_thumb.

post-128422-0-56816000-1431516596_thumb.

Looks like this one will be tossed into the THB.

I headed over to OBC images and compared the 2 side by side.

The Plain seems to have a duller/lighter supercilium as against the more distinct on the Rufescent but then some images for Plain did have very distinct supercilium too.

And to add more confusion, with the Rufescent, the tail feathers are white tipped but some images of the Plain also showed white tipped.

I'll have to take note of the call as suggested by AN.

Thanks guys.

Looks like this one will be tossed into the THB.

I headed over to OBC images and compared the 2 side by side.

The Plain seems to have a duller/lighter supercilium as against the more distinct on the Rufescent but then some images for Plain did have very distinct supercilium too.

And to add more confusion, with the Rufescent, the tail feathers are white tipped but some images of the Plain also showed white tipped.

I'll have to take note of the call as suggested by AN.

Thanks guys.

On calls...

As a person who only recently bought a "smart phone" - a few nights ago around 8:30 PM I heard a bird call I was not familiar with. Went outside and recorded it with my phone. Surprised at the quality as the bird was at least 30 meters off. Took it home and went through the likely candidates in PD Round - birds that may be calling at night - found a call description that seemed to match - listened to recordings on http://avocet.zoology.msu.edu/ and made the match.

No big deal. Plaintive Cuckoo, a bird I have been seeing for years - in Isaan and here in Chonburi - but never ID'd by call. It called for two nights.

Have also used call IDs to ID and then spend hours waiting for and then finally get clear looks (and even one OK photo) of Pallas's Grasshopper Warbler.

Calls are fun to spend time on and sometimes that's all you have go on.

Yes calls do help in nailing IDs. Quite awhile back I had Goshawk (thanks again )help me with a call I recorded with my Samsung phone. That one was from a Large Scimitar Babbler. I still hear them calling almost every time I am out on the lake. But they remain elusive I have failed to see a single bird.

I do hear many other calls which I am unable to identify. If only the forum allows attaching short mp3 or wav files I would make some recordings. Or is there any other way I can send recordings if I need help?

4 Frigatebirds today here in Bangsaen, Chonburi. I have them as probable Christmas - which I have confirmed here in 2012 and a couple unconfirmed sights of since - but some pics vs. descriptions vs. images on OBC have me questioning possible Great.

Robson has Christmas as vagrant C Thailand and Round (BofBKK Area) also has them in C Thailand. So that's the probable ID. Three are clear Juvs and one is much darker on the underside but clearly not an adult either...

Anybody?

post-91156-0-80293400-1431695045_thumb.j

post-91156-0-24137400-1431695066_thumb.j

post-91156-0-48077400-1431695145_thumb.j

post-91156-0-43439900-1431695170_thumb.j

post-91156-0-29563500-1431695183_thumb.j

post-91156-0-81073000-1431695214_thumb.j

Have a small hand held recorder on the wish list to record and play back calls I have been hearing on the various trips but so far it is still a bit down the list as more trips keep appearing.

We managed to sneak away again to the Mae Wong river after the lady bosses sisters kids all went home to prepare for school. Was supposed to be for 3 nights camping 5 KM up the river from the NP camping ground at a great conservation area.

But we got hit by a huge electrical storm around mid day on the second day, the wind, rain lightning and thunder were ferocious and we jumped in the car and drove into a lean to at one of the buildings to hide.

When it had eased we found we had left one of the tent windows open and our bed was soaked, the only option was to pack up and get out.

A few KM down the road after we had left the park we saw a large warehouse that had been half demolished and trees uprooted and torn apart so we were lucky to have been insulated by the forest.

Even with all that I still managed 4 new species, Besra, Blue-winged Leaf-bird, Hill Myna and Large Cuckooshrike as well as good photos of White-bellied Woodpecker and Racket-tailed Treepai, a bird I haven't seen there before.

I do like that place which is very rarely visited by anyone let alone birders and I think has huge potential so will return but probably not till next year now as other things keep coming up.

The latest at the end of the month is a trip to Tha Song Yang north of Mae Sot where the lady boss has arranged for us to go with a group who take donated things to remote villages up in the hills, should be interesting with lots of photos and even some birds.

Have a small hand held recorder on the wish list to record and play back calls I have been hearing on the various trips but so far it is still a bit down the list as more trips keep appearing.

We managed to sneak away again to the Mae Wong river after the lady bosses sisters kids all went home to prepare for school. Was supposed to be for 3 nights camping 5 KM up the river from the NP camping ground at a great conservation area.

But we got hit by a huge electrical storm around mid day on the second day, the wind, rain lightning and thunder were ferocious and we jumped in the car and drove into a lean to at one of the buildings to hide.

When it had eased we found we had left one of the tent windows open and our bed was soaked, the only option was to pack up and get out.

A few KM down the road after we had left the park we saw a large warehouse that had been half demolished and trees uprooted and torn apart so we were lucky to have been insulated by the forest.

Even with all that I still managed 4 new species, Besra, Blue-winged Leaf-bird, Hill Myna and Large Cuckooshrike as well as good photos of White-bellied Woodpecker and Racket-tailed Treepai, a bird I haven't seen there before.

I do like that place which is very rarely visited by anyone let alone birders and I think has huge potential so will return but probably not till next year now as other things keep coming up.

The latest at the end of the month is a trip to Tha Song Yang north of Mae Sot where the lady boss has arranged for us to go with a group who take donated things to remote villages up in the hills, should be interesting with lots of photos and even some birds.

I take it you are referring to Mae Wong NP?

I am interested that you are getting into recording calls. I am moving the same way with less emphases on photography as it is sometimes hard to do both. I have started to gear up with an Zoom H6 and a Rode Pro shotgun. A good and relatively cheap solution in my opinion. I use a foam cover and dead cat as a minimum to counteract the wind. I really want a blimp but they are really expensive so am looking at converting a truck filter as it has a good mesh exterior and I hope to rig the whole thing up with lacky bands as suspension. I am currently on the lookout for a parabolic dish but it looks like I am going to need to make a mould and produce my own.

I am interested that you are getting into recording calls. I am moving the same way with less emphases on photography as it is sometimes hard to do both. I have started to gear up with an Zoom H6 and a Rode Pro shotgun. A good and relatively cheap solution in my opinion. I use a foam cover and dead cat as a minimum to counteract the wind. I really want a blimp but they are really expensive so am looking at converting a truck filter as it has a good mesh exterior and I hope to rig the whole thing up with lacky bands as suspension. I am currently on the lookout for a parabolic dish but it looks like I am going to need to make a mould and produce my own.

Yes Mae Wong NP, not the normally visited part, Chong Yen area, but the river through the middle where they have proposed a dam.

The reason I wanted to record calls is to play them back to see if I can get some of the unknowns to show themselves for a photo.

I have hunted and fished all my life and love remote places and it is a real pleasure to me to be able to get into the less visited parts of the forests, when there I often hear calls that I have no idea what they are. I know there are sites where I can access bird calls but my forgettery is getting better than my rememberry these days so just being able to ID a bird when I see it is enough without trying to remember the calls, although I do know many of the more common ones.

Having a recording and both playing it back as an attraction or comparing on a site will help but still the main mission is getting the thing in the camera.

I've been envious of the pictures and nests of Black-winged Stilts. We have nowhere for them to breed here, but they often visit us in summer. This morning I had the first two this year.

Our breeding waders are Oriental Pratincoles, Red-wattled Lapwings, and Painted Snipe. I had three male Painted Snipe this morning, being one of those silly birds where the male does all the work. There are fewer Pratincoles than in previous years, but the Lapwings are just as vocal as usual.

This week has also seen probably the last of the winter visitors, Chinese Pond-heron, Black Drongo, and Brown Shrike, though I may still see one or two stragglers.

I will often record a call on my phone if I have nothing else and on replay it will sometimes bring the bird right in. The trick is not to do it for long as if the bird is breeding, or just territorial, it does take time off its feeding regime. In heavily birded areas of the world this can be a problem but unlikely I would have thought where you are.

Yes Mae Wong NP, not the normally visited part, Chong Yen area, but the river through the middle where they have proposed a dam.

The reason I wanted to record calls is to play them back to see if I can get some of the unknowns to show themselves for a photo.

I have hunted and fished all my life and love remote places and it is a real pleasure to me to be able to get into the less visited parts of the forests, when there I often hear calls that I have no idea what they are. I know there are sites where I can access bird calls but my forgettery is getting better than my rememberry these days so just being able to ID a bird when I see it is enough without trying to remember the calls, although I do know many of the more common ones.

Having a recording and both playing it back as an attraction or comparing on a site will help but still the main mission is getting the thing in the camera.

• 3 weeks later...

Did the trip to the remote villages around Tha Song Yang, a good trip of around 180km on 4wd tracks, no birds though.

Best part for me was stopping off for 3 nights on the way back at Taksin Maharat National Park another park rarely visited by birders.

Around our camp there were several Blue-throated Barbets, Oriental White-eyes and some Emerald Doves coming out to feed in the evening, Sooty headed Bulbul were prominent.

I went down the valley where there is a big tree and waterfalls where the tourists go for selfies, the place is full of birds of many species, but difficult to see and more difficult to get photos of. Was frustrated by a flock of laughing thrush with a call I have never heard before and many others that wouldn't stay for a photo.

New species for me are; Scarlet Minivet, Vernal Hanging Parrot, White-gorgeted Flycatcher and Little Spider Hunter.

Putting this one down to an immature Dark-sided Flycatcher, any thoughts ?

post-12069-0-67145500-1433475610_thumb.j post-12069-0-70539000-1433475630_thumb.j

And a couple of dunnos, open to ideas;

post-12069-0-93038200-1433475719_thumb.j post-12069-0-49580800-1433475746_thumb.j

Some sort of flycatcher ?

post-12069-0-38866100-1433475823_thumb.j

Large bird at a distance with a bright background and me trying to balance on a 45% slope and get a photo through thick branches. The tail angle should give a clue but not to me.

Nice report Robby I too passed through Thaksin Maharat and Sooty-headed with the red vent were very common. Haven't a clue what your dunnoes are but the last seem to be drongo like.

Nice report Robby I too passed through Thaksin Maharat and Sooty-headed with the red vent were very common. Haven't a clue what your dunnoes are but the last seem to be drongo like.

You are right Jack, got me thinking Drongo Cuckoo.

The first of your dunnos; could it be this? : http://orientalbirdimages.org/search.php?Bird_ID=2660&Bird_Image_ID=18952&Bird_Family_ID=&p=79

A juvenile female? This photo on OBC is quite obviously flashed hence the whitish parts appear whiter than yours.

I remember doing that arduous trek to that giant 800 yr-old (fig tree?). I slipped and almost tumbled down the ravine if not for a local who quickly grabbed me. I wasn't prepared for the trek as I had open-toed sandals on.

Dark-sided juv? How about behaviour? That should rule out most other species. Too big for Little Pied.

First dunno. Well, it;s a flycatcher, but I couldn't tell which.

Second dunno. What sort of size? It looks rather like an Indian Roller (note the pale patches at the tail-base.).

Very little here, but I did see a Barn Owl (my third, second alive) a couple of days ago.

Them flycatchers are a problem all right what with females and juveniles of different species often quite similar.

Have compared the big bird with my other pix of drongo cuckoo and it looks a distinct possibility.

Have amended one of the new birds for me, what I was calling a White-gorgeted Flycatcher is in fact a Rufous-browed Flycatcher.

post-12069-0-49433900-1433556532_thumb.j

Automatic IDs from Photos... I knew the day would come. Only for US and Canada right now, but that is sure to change.

http://merlin.allaboutbirds.org/photo-id

Some day they will make bins that ID and etc. and so on.

How boring! Trust somebody to take the fun out of birding.

Agreed, IB. I suspect it will take a while for the technology to get past making suggestions on tough to ID pics and etc. but the day is coming. And beyond that you can even imagine a day where some kind of technology will be available well beyond that... some kind of drone will be able to sweep over an area and detect the species present below perhaps... and while it will take some of the fun out of it, it will be good for science overall. But you and i will be long gone by then anyway and we will have had our fun.

• 3 weeks later...

Been keeping the head down this month since the last trip north and haven't done much locally. The first time out to one of the few ponds left saw an Indian Cormorant, looks like an immature, a first for me.

post-12069-0-30356500-1435374719_thumb.j

Also saw my first Barn Owl got quite a good look at it but no good photo. Down by the river one Small Pratincole and a Little ringed Plover were both doing the 'injured nesting' behavior, Saw a Black Drongo feeding a chick so they definitely breed here, other than that just the usual birds.

The lady boss has discovered a web site of Huai Kha Kwang Wildlife Sanctuary, a place that's been on my wish list for some time and wants to go there, so the camera batteries are charged the camping gear ready to be loaded up and we are on our way tomorrow. Hope the badly needed rain misses us.

Nice to hear somebody is seeing some birds, Robby.

Here it's been so dry that there has been virtually nothing to see (except the Rufous-winged Buzzards, which feed on snakes, so they should be happy).

Today two firsts for this month, a White-throated Kingfisher (normally a winter visitor here), and a decent shower of rain.

• 2 weeks later...

Got bored by my local patch with nothing worthwhile to report so made a short trip to Nam Nao NP and was quite pleased with my haul.

Best bird and lifer for me was the beautiful but very shy White-bellied WP. Saw many WPs and need help with some here.

Pardon the woeful quality of the pics. Taken at silly ISOs of up to 5000 just to get some shutter speeds.

The last Yellow-naped WP is a different bird from the 3 earlier YN pics ( same bird). I have no idea if these are Greater or lesser YNs.

The first 2 I believe are Grey-headed but could be Laced?

Oddly, during the whole 2-day trip not a single flycatcher was seen nor heard. Not even Hainan blue, Hill blue nor Tickells.

post-128422-0-08093900-1436245365_thumb.

post-128422-0-91637200-1436245377_thumb.

post-128422-0-82880200-1436245394_thumb.

post-128422-0-62853300-1436245404_thumb.

post-128422-0-62766200-1436245424_thumb.

post-128422-0-47693200-1436245435_thumb.

post-128422-0-41784800-1436245445_thumb.

Archived