Birdwatching In Isan

isanbirder

If you are looking for a new challenge blind birding is the 'hot' item in the USA birding competitions -- the better ones can hear a bird and identify its call long before the clumsy sighted person can visually spot it:

http://www.grady.uga.edu/birdersouth/blindbirding.html

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/wild/...uttaSight/tips/

There are schools for the blind in both Roi Et and Khorat as well as KK all part of the CFBT Foundation...

Some good recordings from Khao Yai here to get started (as you may already know):

http://home.tiscali.nl/jvanderw/thailand03/sounds.html

• Replies 752
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you are looking for a new challenge blind birding is the 'hot' item in the USA birding competitions -- the better ones can hear a bird and identify its call long before the clumsy sighted person can visually spot it:

http://www.grady.uga.edu/birdersouth/blindbirding.html

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/wild/...uttaSight/tips/

Some good recordings from Khao Yai here to get started (as you may already know):

http://home.tiscali.nl/jvanderw/thailand03/sounds.html

Of course all birders try to learn as many calls as they can; it makes life easier. I must admit that I have always been very bad at this... I just don't seem to have the ear for it (I'm not at all musical either).

Birding competitions... a good way to raise funds where needed, but otherwise, no thank you!

I was only suggesting that it might be a fun thing for you to go to one of the schools for the blind and give a talk to the kids about some of the bird calls -- especially since there is a website with the calls from Khao Yai...

post-46701-1273393548_thumb.jpg

Just wondering what sort of birds are normally tagged in Thailand? We came across this guy a few weeks ago, he had a red tag around his leg. We think he was hit by a car as he was crouched on the side of the road on one of our Isaan road trips. He was not looking too happy and died a day later despite hubby trying to doctor him up :)

@Goinghomesoon..

one of the most important bird ringing areas in Thailand takes place at Laem Pak Bia (on the coast) near Petchaburi. Many birds, not just shorebirds, are routinely ringed/tagged here.

Its a great place to visit, particularly if you take a boat trip around the sand spit.

The bird in your pic is a Lesser Coucal, found throughout the Kingdom. They typically fly very low to the ground (very secretive birds) so a car strike is highly likely..

edit: did the ring/tag have any numbers on it ? Also see that the bird is tethered with red string.. sure you aren't confusing that with a 'tag' ?

(a technique used to catch large birds of prey is to use a live tethered bait..)

Let me know if you see one with more than two legs????

I once met a farmer who had successfully bred 4 legged chickens. When I asked him what they tasted like, he said "Buggered if I know, I've never manged to catch one of the blighters". Where did that tumbleweed come from?

Does anyone know what's happened to the Buri Ram bird park? We used to visit every so often, but for a while now there's been a barrier across the gate and I've never bothered stopping to find out if you can still go in or not.

I was in the Buri Ram bird park this week if we mean the same place, couldn't believe my luck as i've been developing a real interest for bird watching over here and stumbled upon it visiting friends. The barrier was down but we ventured in and there was no one about. There were still signs up stating that it was a non hunting area and the place was well kept so i guess it is still open and within a few minutes we came across a load of birds that were new to me. Unfortunately i didn't have my book to hand but i recognized Indian cormorants, red headed swamp hens, common tailor birds, painted storks, a barn owl, cinnamon bittern, loads of egrets, black collared starling, spider hunters and fantails just to name a few. the watch tower was very impressive and if it wasn't for some heavy rain i would have stayed a lot longer.

There were big statues of the local birds presumably for the kids and an education centre. I was very impressed with the whole project and will make a point of passing through better equipt and with more time on my hands in the near future hopefully. I'll find the address and post it up shortly.

/quote]

I was in the Buri Ram bird park this week if we mean the same place, couldn't believe my luck as i've been developing a real interest for bird watching over here and stumbled upon it visiting friends. The barrier was down but we ventured in and there was no one about. There were still signs up stating that it was a non hunting area and the place was well kept so i guess it is still open and within a few minutes we came across a load of birds that were new to me. Unfortunately i didn't have my book to hand but i recognized Indian cormorants, red headed swamp hens, common tailor birds, painted storks, a barn owl, cinnamon bittern, loads of egrets, black collared starling, spider hunters and fantails just to name a few. the watch tower was very impressive and if it wasn't for some heavy rain i would have stayed a lot longer.

There were big statues of the local birds presumably for the kids and an education centre. I was very impressed with the whole project and will make a point of passing through better equipt and with more time on my hands in the near future hopefully. I'll find the address and post it up shortly.

Good news... I've never been there, even though I live not far from Buriram. What, by the way, are red-headed swamphens? A new name to me!

/quote]

Good news... I've never been there, even though I live not far from Buriram. What, by the way, are red-headed swamphens? A new name to me!

My apologies, i think the official name is Purple Swamphen - this is what happens when i don't have my book to hand!

I'm amazed they aren't highly threatened, they just look so conspicuous shuffling through the grass, their plumage is is such start contrast to anything else around, they stand out like sore thumbs and seem such an easy target for predators/ hunters

post-80347-1273906241_thumb.jpg

post-80347-1273906258_thumb.jpg

My apologies, i think the official name is Purple Swamphen - this is what happens when i don't have my book to hand!

I'm amazed they aren't highly threatened, they just look so conspicuous shuffling through the grass, their plumage is is such start contrast to anything else around, they stand out like sore thumbs and seem such an easy target for predators/ hunters

I think they're lucky in that they're not good to eat! Friends have seen them in Surin, and I've seen them in Chiangrai, but I'm still waiting for one to turn up on my local patch.

I once met a farmer who had successfully bred 4 legged chickens. When I asked him what they tasted like, he said "Buggered if I know, I've never manged to catch one of the blighters". Where did that tumbleweed come from?

Does anyone know what's happened to the Buri Ram bird park? We used to visit every so often, but for a while now there's been a barrier across the gate and I've never bothered stopping to find out if you can still go in or not.

As far as I know, there are two bird parks in the area, both off the Buri Ram - Prakonchai road. The one I was referring to was officially called the Buri Ram bird park, and is still sign posted on the left, just before the road crosses the big reservoir as you head out of Buri Ram. I heard it has turned into a hotel now. It was free to enter and had a childrens play area, some very big dinosaur statues, crocodile and deer enclosures and some aviaries, as well as walkways along the edge of the reservoir. It was a good place to bring the kids. The other is closer to Prakonchai, on another reservoir, and is designated as a non hunting area, so could be the one you found.

As far as I know, there are two bird parks in the area, both off the Buri Ram - Prakonchai road. The one I was referring to was officially called the Buri Ram bird park, and is still sign posted on the left, just before the road crosses the big reservoir as you head out of Buri Ram. I heard it has turned into a hotel now. It was free to enter and had a childrens play area, some very big dinosaur statues, crocodile and deer enclosures and some aviaries, as well as walkways along the edge of the reservoir. It was a good place to bring the kids. The other is closer to Prakonchai, on another reservoir, and is designated as a non hunting area, so could be the one you found.

The one i was in sounds like the second one you mentioned as i didn't see any dinosaurs. Which would you say was better for bird watching??

The one i was in sounds like the second one you mentioned as i didn't see any dinosaurs. Which would you say was better for bird watching??

That may be a moot point, as I don't know the status of the first one. Every time I've driven past it in the last couple of years, which admittedly hasn't been too often, there's been a barrier across the entrance, and the wife says she heard it was being turned into a hotel. I'll have to stop and ask them next time I go past. It's a shame it isn't like it was before, when you could just drive in. There was also a large restaurant and some bungalow type accomodation there too. A good time to visit was when the sun was setting as many birds would fly in to roost along the shore of the reservoir. Apparantly it also attracts a lot of migratory birds in April and November each year.

I used to live in surin, and have now moved to Pak Chong, Nakhon Rathisima province, Isaan. We are close to Khao Yai National park. Approx 350 recorded species, including four types of Hornbill (the King of birds) - Great, Oriental Pied, Brown and Wreathred. I enter the park about once a week. Last trip from memory we saw 3 species of Hornbill, Indian Roller, Lapwing, Spotted Dove, Bulbuls, Jungle Myna, Black-shouldred Kite, Harrier, Lesser Racket-tailed Drongo, Eurasian Kinfisher, White-breasted King-fisher and many others. One of the best places in Asia to watch birds. Definetly the best place in Isaan. :)

Hello,

How do you like Pak Chong? I have been looking at a place to retire. We love nature and like to garden, country life with mountain view-both my wife and I. Also it is not too far from BKK. Any suggestions or pointers?

Thanks,

Bill

[email protected]

• 7 months later...

I thought it was time to update this thread, in case any new birders have arrived in the area. Please pm me if you would like to be on the 'grapevine'. Most information is from Surin and Buriram, but we have an outpost in Udon... and a guru in Bangkok. My latest find on the rice paddies was a Rosy Pipit... but I think my favourites are the Marsh and Pied Harriers. And, among the resident birds, the Spot-breasted Woodpeckers and Hoopoes.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the last time I reported into this thread, I was at around 60 species I was sure of and still couldn't tell the difference between a Bittern and a Stonechat... an exaggeration, but not so far from the truth. Anyway, the count at Huai Saneng, Surin is more than double what it was then, and now have the benefit of running any of the really difficult IDs past previously mentioned "Guru" as well as the beginner and reviver of this thread.

No birds in Isaan? Nah! Plenty. Just need to look.

We've lived outside of Udon for 14 years. I'd guess over 40 variety of birds....some seasonal. The most unusual? Last June a pair of white rump shama came out of nowhere (never seen one here before). They nested in a box on our porch. The four eggs hatched and the chicks were able to fly off on their own. One of the males has continued to hang around our yard....eating mealworms and crickets that we toss out to it. It can catch a cricket when we throw it up in the air. We're pretty sure the bird is our gardener, reincarnated, who was killed in 2009 at a Loy Kratung festival. Well, maybe not, but it makes for a good story.

The photo is of the original male who showed up in our yard in June 2010.

post-10743-0-96274900-1293971108_thumb.j

• 4 months later...

I thought it was time to update this thread, in case any new birders have arrived in the area. Please pm me if you would like to be on the 'grapevine'. Most information is from Surin and Buriram, but we have an outpost in Udon... and a guru in Bangkok. My latest find on the rice paddies was a Rosy Pipit... but I think my favourites are the Marsh and Pied Harriers. And, among the resident birds, the Spot-breasted Woodpeckers and Hoopoes.

To wake up this sleeping thread I post my arrival in the world of Birding in Isan. I'm not a birder, just an interested guy who would like to become a birder after having learnt a lot about snakes and lizards that surround me. I'm a dedicated photographer too so that can be fun.

I live in Udon thani province, far east, nearly Sakon Nakhon province. I live in a small village in the hills, around me rice paddies, sugar fields, rubber plantations, fish ponds on my farm and I think the most interesting: two dense forests on hills belonging to two temples, unspoilt area! Saw twice a monitor lizard of 25 kg by just passing by, breath taking!

A few questions:

1) I ordered Robson's Field guide to the Birds of Thailand and SE Asia, as the edition for Thailand only is sold out at the publisher. Same story for the Lekagul 3rd edition A guide to the Birds of Thailand, 1991, not available anymore. Extra problem is i canceled my credit cards years ago so cannot order from Amazon c.s.

Any suggestion to get those books in Thailand?

2) My camera is an excellent Canon Eos D60, I will just need to get an extra zoom lens for birding. Was thinking of a 70-200 lens with Image Stabilizer, any input?

3) Isanbirder I would pm you about the grapevine if I only knew what it means :D

Thanks for any help.

Cheers

Joe

I use this thread as indicated by Isanbirder for determination of birds.

The bird I pictured today has a nest in the kitchen window, between the movable glass, inside have mosquito net, so the nest is steady there.

Joe

post-114824-0-09932500-1305692645_thumb.

post-114824-0-69775200-1305693115_thumb.

I use this thread as indicated by Isanbirder for determination of birds.

The bird I pictured today has a nest in the kitchen window, between the movable glass, inside have mosquito net, so the nest is steady there.

Joe

Common Tailorbird

The number of birds, and other mammals are indeed increasing in our garden, which looked a jungle and was flattened 7 years ago when we started building.

We now have lots of tall Tamarind, wild Mango, Betel nut, Coco nut, Rambutan, Longon, - and several other kinds of trees.

I've seen exotic lizards and I've recently seen a squirrel, and my wife says we have two pairs of different kinds of squirrel.

Last two years we had about 60 geese staying a week in our river, but so far this year, I've only seen a couple.

I'll take some pics if possible!

Btw, here is one though not of a bird:

post-24958-0-15933900-1305811201_thumb.j

Btw, here is one though not of a bird:

nice.. :thumbsup:

that is Calotes mystaceus - Blue Crested Lizard

Wonderful creatures! A shame they are massively killed each year when they (the males) are in their blue breeding colour. I once estimated that in my small village boys kill around 80-100 per year, that is around 800 in the whole tambon. On a national scale the number is frightening, several hundreds of thousands are killed each year. Still they exist....

Here is a pic of one in their natural protective colour.

Joe

post-114824-0-12909000-1305859649_thumb.

Update to my gear: had a disappointing shopping day in Udon thani yesterday. Wanted to buy a Canon lens 70-300, plus extenders, no way, they (3 shops) could not even order it for some reason! I also wanted binoculars, no way except some theatre watchers.

Any input other than going to Bangkok? Would Khon kaen be better? It's still on driving distance. BKK I have to fly or take the 10 hours long bus ride.

Thanks

Joe

Not in Isaan, but in Koh Phangan:

5749684154_5f05d2d76e_b.jpg

Common Kestrel by angiud, on Flickr

I've seen a flocks of Mynas flying away protesting. Just a second to see a bird following them. Stop my bike and I took my camera, just 3 shots, 1 bad, one good, one medium. And with a macro lens ;-) It's a Common Kestrel (Falco tinnunculus)

It's a Common Kestrel (Falco tinnunculus)

very nice photo there angiud..

..but you've got the wrong family of raptor. Your bird is of the family Accipitridae not Falconidae, and is in fact a Crested Goshawk (Accipiter trivirgatus) - not a Kestrel.

They are a resident bird throughout Thailand.

Archived