BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

isanbirder

Birdwatching In Isan

I have seen many kinds of birds near the Phanom Rung -Hill temple. The one rare bird is the The Greater Coucal . They say if you see this bird , it will be lucky day for you. There are other birds like Hummingbirds, Egrets and cranes in the rice fields.

I saw my first flock of White-crested Laughingthrush at Phanom Rung - also my first Thai snake. A really good spot. There is a nearby Khmer ruin in a good state of repair (temple) with large lotus ponds - I forget the name. It is set in a park with many trees. There are very few visitors and is is a good spot for passerines as well as a really nice place to visit. The local people seemed exceptionally friendly. I have been there twice and would like to go back birding and down closer to the Cambodian border. There is also a reportedly excellent lightshow and ceremony once a year which is well worth attending.

Hi All,

Can anyone identify a bird from this description please?

- Finch-like in appearance but noticeably smaller @ 3"/ a thumb.

- Scarlet head & scull with bottle blue wings when settled & scarlet down it's back in flight.

I saw one in my mango tree yesterday.

How does such a brightly coloured bird avoid predators?

I have looked at online images but can't find the bird there.

Thanks smile.png

The scarlet-backed flowerpecker also has a very distinctive rapid clicking call which is usually how I recognise it. It is fairly hyper at the best of times and can sometimes be difficult to actually see.

Help with ID please.

I saw this one foraging on the ground at Doi Lang approx 2000m elevation. Before I could get closer it took off. This is the only frame I have. Thanks.

post-128422-0-09501400-1454582745_thumb.

I'm pretty sure it's a Siberian Thrush, first winter, but I've never seen them in quite that plumage!

I'm pretty sure it's a Siberian Thrush, first winter, but I've never seen them in quite that plumage!

Thank you. Silly me was looking at Pipits in Robson's Guide.

Here's why I took to looking at pipits: About the same time the Thrush flew off I flushed what looked like your usual pipit and so didn't pay it too much attention. But I am not too sure now.

What do you guys think?

post-128422-0-87479500-1454654472_thumb.

Greetings to all birdwatchers in Isaan. Although I'm not a birdwatcher myself I do like to watch birds at play (feathered variety that is). I have a question, yesterday afternoon I was watching what I took to be a hummingbird feeding. Hovering, beak into the flower, wings beating so fast they were a blur, backing off and repeating.

The bird itself was very small. It was mainly a brown/grey colour with a pale yellow breast.

I Googled Thai Hummingbirds and there seems to be some confusion here. Some state Thailand doesn't have these birds, whilst others state what I saw was a sunbird. Can sunbirds fly backwards, the bird I saw certainly could, I thought hummingbirds were the only birds that could fly in reverse.

I live in Ban Kruat, Southern Buriram.

Just asking, I'm curious about this. Thanks.

I may be completely out in left field on this but what you saw may have been a hummingbird hawk moth. I was also confused at one time by this little guy. Take a look at the attached links to see if this could possibly be the critter.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hummingbird_hawk-moth

http://www.arkinspace.com/2013/02/the-amazing-hummingbird-hawk-moth.html

There are certainly no hummingbirds in Thailand. Y<our bird was most likely a sunbird, female by the sound of it, but I didn't know they could fly backwards!

The hummingbird hawkmoth is the wrong colour.