BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

isanbirder

Birdwatching In Isan

I thought it was time to update this thread, in case any new birders have arrived in the area. Please pm me if you would like to be on the 'grapevine'. Most information is from Surin and Buriram, but we have an outpost in Udon... and a guru in Bangkok. My latest find on the rice paddies was a Rosy Pipit... but I think my favourites are the Marsh and Pied Harriers. And, among the resident birds, the Spot-breasted Woodpeckers and Hoopoes.

I think the last time I reported into this thread, I was at around 60 species I was sure of and still couldn't tell the difference between a Bittern and a Stonechat... an exaggeration, but not so far from the truth. Anyway, the count at Huai Saneng, Surin is more than double what it was then, and now have the benefit of running any of the really difficult IDs past previously mentioned "Guru" as well as the beginner and reviver of this thread.

No birds in Isaan? Nah! Plenty. Just need to look.

We've lived outside of Udon for 14 years. I'd guess over 40 variety of birds....some seasonal. The most unusual? Last June a pair of white rump shama came out of nowhere (never seen one here before). They nested in a box on our porch. The four eggs hatched and the chicks were able to fly off on their own. One of the males has continued to hang around our yard....eating mealworms and crickets that we toss out to it. It can catch a cricket when we throw it up in the air. We're pretty sure the bird is our gardener, reincarnated, who was killed in 2009 at a Loy Kratung festival. Well, maybe not, but it makes for a good story.

The photo is of the original male who showed up in our yard in June 2010.

post-10743-0-96274900-1293971108_thumb.j

Some Pic of mine from the past few Months might interest you, i'm in Prachuab Kir Khan though not Isaan...

& i was in tthe US for the obvious one's ..:)

post-55211-0-92593300-1294168290_thumb.j post-55211-0-73563300-1294168381_thumb.j post-55211-0-86926800-1294168404_thumb.j post-55211-0-91717100-1294168424_thumb.j post-55211-0-70975800-1294168474_thumb.j post-55211-0-00831000-1294168498_thumb.j post-55211-0-77222500-1294168520_thumb.j post-55211-0-97502600-1294168543_thumb.j post-55211-0-22072400-1294168582_thumb.j post-55211-0-80335100-1294168628_thumb.j post-55211-0-51835600-1294168659_thumb.j

I thought it was time to update this thread, in case any new birders have arrived in the area. Please pm me if you would like to be on the 'grapevine'. Most information is from Surin and Buriram, but we have an outpost in Udon... and a guru in Bangkok. My latest find on the rice paddies was a Rosy Pipit... but I think my favourites are the Marsh and Pied Harriers. And, among the resident birds, the Spot-breasted Woodpeckers and Hoopoes.

To wake up this sleeping thread I post my arrival in the world of Birding in Isan. I'm not a birder, just an interested guy who would like to become a birder after having learnt a lot about snakes and lizards that surround me. I'm a dedicated photographer too so that can be fun.

I live in Udon thani province, far east, nearly Sakon Nakhon province. I live in a small village in the hills, around me rice paddies, sugar fields, rubber plantations, fish ponds on my farm and I think the most interesting: two dense forests on hills belonging to two temples, unspoilt area! Saw twice a monitor lizard of 25 kg by just passing by, breath taking!

A few questions:

1) I ordered Robson's Field guide to the Birds of Thailand and SE Asia, as the edition for Thailand only is sold out at the publisher. Same story for the Lekagul 3rd edition A guide to the Birds of Thailand, 1991, not available anymore. Extra problem is i canceled my credit cards years ago so cannot order from Amazon c.s.

Any suggestion to get those books in Thailand?

2) My camera is an excellent Canon Eos D60, I will just need to get an extra zoom lens for birding. Was thinking of a 70-200 lens with Image Stabilizer, any input?

3) Isanbirder I would pm you about the grapevine if I only knew what it means :D

Thanks for any help.

Cheers

Joe

I use this thread as indicated by Isanbirder for determination of birds.

The bird I pictured today has a nest in the kitchen window, between the movable glass, inside have mosquito net, so the nest is steady there.

Joe

post-114824-0-09932500-1305692645_thumb.

post-114824-0-69775200-1305693115_thumb.

I use this thread as indicated by Isanbirder for determination of birds.

The bird I pictured today has a nest in the kitchen window, between the movable glass, inside have mosquito net, so the nest is steady there.

Joe

Common Tailorbird

The number of birds, and other mammals are indeed increasing in our garden, which looked a jungle and was flattened 7 years ago when we started building.

We now have lots of tall Tamarind, wild Mango, Betel nut, Coco nut, Rambutan, Longon, - and several other kinds of trees.

I've seen exotic lizards and I've recently seen a squirrel, and my wife says we have two pairs of different kinds of squirrel.

Last two years we had about 60 geese staying a week in our river, but so far this year, I've only seen a couple.

I'll take some pics if possible!

Btw, here is one though not of a bird:

post-24958-0-15933900-1305811201_thumb.j

nice.. :thumbsup:

that is Calotes mystaceus - Blue Crested Lizard

nice.. :thumbsup:

that is Calotes mystaceus - Blue Crested Lizard

Wonderful creatures! A shame they are massively killed each year when they (the males) are in their blue breeding colour. I once estimated that in my small village boys kill around 80-100 per year, that is around 800 in the whole tambon. On a national scale the number is frightening, several hundreds of thousands are killed each year. Still they exist....

Here is a pic of one in their natural protective colour.

Joe

post-114824-0-12909000-1305859649_thumb.

Update to my gear: had a disappointing shopping day in Udon thani yesterday. Wanted to buy a Canon lens 70-300, plus extenders, no way, they (3 shops) could not even order it for some reason! I also wanted binoculars, no way except some theatre watchers.

Any input other than going to Bangkok? Would Khon kaen be better? It's still on driving distance. BKK I have to fly or take the 10 hours long bus ride.

Thanks

Joe

By the way, I prefer to call the Calotes mystaceus with its other name: Indo-Chinese Forest Lizard.

A personal choice as most of the time they are not blue, but olive/brown...

Joe

Not in Isaan, but in Koh Phangan:

5749684154_5f05d2d76e_b.jpg

Common Kestrel by angiud, on Flickr

I've seen a flocks of Mynas flying away protesting. Just a second to see a bird following them. Stop my bike and I took my camera, just 3 shots, 1 bad, one good, one medium. And with a macro lens ;-) It's a Common Kestrel (Falco tinnunculus)

It's a Common Kestrel (Falco tinnunculus)

very nice photo there angiud..

..but you've got the wrong family of raptor. Your bird is of the family Accipitridae not Falconidae, and is in fact a Crested Goshawk (Accipiter trivirgatus) - not a Kestrel.

They are a resident bird throughout Thailand.

Thanks for the correction! I'm just an amateur naturalist. But I hope to be more accurate in the future. ;)