Birdwatching In Isan

isanbirder

• Replies 752
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An old photo which I've forgotten about till today when I looked inside my hard drive.

Taken in Dec 2010 from my Isaan backyard. What cuckoo? Thanks.

I think I would have that down as a Large Hawk Cuuckoo, but I would wait and see what others say as I have no field experience with that species at all.

I agree with you, Hanno and AjarnNorth, after seeing the second picture. I was deceived by the whitish line on the neck, and the somewhat chestnut shade of the wings. Good!

Now one for you! A few days ago I had a magnificent male Peregrine, beautiful view, with that impression of power in the shoulders which I think you get from no other bird.

An hour or so ago, I had another falcon fly over, not far away, but against the sky, so any colours would have been obscured. Dark above, pale below, with black and white on the head (exactly where on the head I couldn't say). So far, so good, but it seemed to me much slimmer and somewhat smaller than the Peregrine. Eurasian Hobby? Or just a rather small Peregrine?

I know exactly what you mean about the shoulders of the Peregrine. I've never seen a Hobby or any other kind of Falcoln, though, or at least not for certain, so I'm stumped. I always go for the default probability when I haven't had a good enough look or, in my case, a decent enough photo to be sure.

An old photo which I've forgotten about till today when I looked inside my hard drive.

Taken in Dec 2010 from my Isaan backyard. What cuckoo? Thanks.

I think I would have that down as a Large Hawk Cuuckoo, but I would wait and see what others say as I have no field experience with that species at all.

It's missing the rufous breast patch but I've looked at OBC's database and some do look like my pic. Thanks AN.

Saw a brown bird hopping around among the rocks and had just got a focus on it when the phone rang, so no shot and the only way I can ID anything except the everyday ones is to put them on the computer and look in the books and even then there are a lot of head scratchers.

Jack, I think you're right. Looks like Yellow-browed/Inornate to me. My experience in Isaan and now again in Chonburi is that Yellow-browed are the leaf warbler I most often see.

Thanks AN, probably the same bird as before, It seems to have a set routine, it visits this particular tree most days at about the same time.

Sorry not to have commented earlier. I'm away from home at the moment, and have no books with me to check things.

Off the cuff, I would just have to say 'cuckoo' to the first one; several species are very close. Yellow-browed Warbler OK. The babbler remains just a babbler to me without several books and internet checks!

I'll get back later to all these.

Robby nz, on 08 Jan 2014 - 12:22, said:snapback.png

Another from my dunno file.

Only got one shot, taken at Hellfire Pass.

attachicon.gif.pagespeed.ce.eFBhf2OPKe.ghfp.JPG

Not at all sure about this, Robyy, but maybe just maybe a Buff-breasted babbler.

Check OBC pics at: http://orientalbirdi..._ID=&pagesize=1

Thanks Ajarn.

Possibility, but there are distinct markings on the throat and perhaps the legs are the wrong color, could just be the light.

Took a closer look and now I am not sure if this is Rusty-breasted or Plaintive (taken from my backyard).

Over at OBC's database, Plaintive usually has a full grey hood that extends to the breast. But if it is Rusty-breasted then this is out of range.

What do you think guys?

11902605475_5e10e523f1_c.jpg

Just had another look at the earlier ones. Large Hawk-Cuckoo for sure.... nice to see it from the front. Yellow-browed Warbler, also OK. The babbler remains a mystery to me!

The Plaintive Cuckoo is certainly that, and not a Rusty-breasted. It's a very common bird in most areas. Range is a very helpful ID factor when there are several similar species!

No need to feel guilty, Robby!

The first pic may be a Dusky, but is not clear enough. Usually the best guide to a Dusky is the behaviour and habitat; it flits about in the undergrowth, usually making a constant ticking call.

The second pic is probably a Two-barred, but I'm never very confident on these!

I had the first nests of the season this morning..... a Brahminy Kite, with both adults fending off the crows, and a Hoopoe sitting tight in its hole! (Actually some species nest all year round, or at different seasons, but January to April seems to be the main nesting season.). Both of these birds have nested in the same area (the Hoopoe in the same hole) for three years running.

Anyone know what this bird is?the photograph isn't very good was taken from a distance with my phone it has very shinny gold head and a green body there was a pair of them in my yard I never seen them before.post-48707-13899352625837_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Saw a white rumped munia carrying nesting material a couple of days back so they are starting

Also a freshly dug nest hole in a bank down by the river, presume pied kingfisher as there were 2 pairs of them close by and the bee eaters haven't turned up in any numbers yet.

Saw something interesting a while back. There was a lesser whistling duck at a nest in a tree and it had just kicked out the eggs of a koel, the eggs (3) were freshly broken on the ground.

Two male koel were flying around screeching, they didn't think much of the ducks behavior but it wasn't being fooled.

Saw a white rumped munia carrying nesting material a couple of days back so they are starting

Also a freshly dug nest hole in a bank down by the river, presume pied kingfisher as there were 2 pairs of them close by and the bee eaters haven't turned up in any numbers yet.

Saw something interesting a while back. There was a lesser whistling duck at a nest in a tree and it had just kicked out the eggs of a koel, the eggs (3) were freshly broken on the ground.

Two male koel were flying around screeching, they didn't think much of the ducks behavior but it wasn't being fooled.

Interesting observation Robby, had the Koels been successful in fooling the ducks, would the hatchlings survive if the ducks' diet is anything to go by.

Walking down by the river yesterday saw this bird and first thought was Little Heron but it looked to big.

When I got home and put it on the machine I see It is a Juvenile Black-crowned Night Heron.

Seen the adults before but this the first young one I have seen.

post-12069-0-52145800-1390101743_thumb.j

Archived