Koh Lanta

expatgaz

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Koh Lanta has a lot of good things going for it.But for me it is too far away from civilisation and serious business opportunities.So for living and long weekends out of Bangkok I went for a Koh Chang property instead.It wasn't an easy choice as I probably prefer Lanta as an island.I will still visit occasionally for a vacation.

Koh Lanta has a lot of good things going for it.But for me it is too far away from civilisation and serious business opportunities.So for living and long weekends out of Bangkok I went for a  Koh Chang property instead.It wasn't an easy choice as I probably prefer Lanta as an island.I will still visit occasionally for a vacation.

Can you describe better Koh Chang? is it nice like Phuket? has it the same nightlife and beaches? Can you suggest some good website for pictures?

I'm thinking to spend my next holidays in this island. :o

phuket and ko chang are like comparing apples and [rotten] oranges. to make it short, ko chang is like phuket may have been 20 yrs ago and has no night life, so BYOB [bring your own babe] if that's what you are looking for.

having said that, i did see lots of euro-sluts if that's your taste.

ko chang is much more of a family place

Koh Lanta has a lot of good things going for it.But for me it is too far away from civilisation and serious business opportunities.So for living and long weekends out of Bangkok I went for a  Koh Chang property instead.It wasn't an easy choice as I probably prefer Lanta as an island.I will still visit occasionally for a vacation.

Can you describe better Koh Chang? is it nice like Phuket? has it the same nightlife and beaches? Can you suggest some good website for pictures?

I'm thinking to spend my next holidays in this island. :o

When asked about Koh Chang I always refer anyone to the website:iamkohchang.com as it is now easily the best and most updated site for Koh Chang run by an knowledgable English guy called Ian.Nearly every thing you will want to know and pictures as well. He links to many more sites on Koh Chang so you can get it all.

I wouldn't say there is no nightlife just not a lot.There are bars with live music and a few great restaurants and if you need such amusements even a bar area known as 'Little Pattaya'.

post-21624-1127306949_thumb.jpg

When asked about Koh Chang I always refer anyone to the website:iamkohchang.com as it is now easily the best and most updated site for Koh Chang run by an knowledgable English guy called Ian.Nearly every thing you will want to know and pictures as well. He links to many more sites on Koh Chang so you can get it all.

I wouldn't say there is no nightlife just not a lot.There are bars with live music and a few great restaurants and if you need such amusements even a bar area known as 'Little Pattaya'.

Thanks a lot chaiyapoon, the website is very nice, and Koh Chang seems lovely lovely, what i was looking for.

I was so impressed from this photo (attachment), the little wood house costs 1200 euro. :o

May be a piece of land doesn't cost much more, I think I will give a look next summer. I am planning to expat gradually and it could be a nice first little step. :D

If someone did this experience i will be glad to read more.

Edited by bolognamare

Unfortunately land on Koh Chang is expensive around the same or more than Phuket.Small plots don't come up for sale often and title papers are usually lacking.

Yep!

for ex. "The second plot, approx 2.5 rai is home to mature durian and pomelo trees and has a great sunset view. The land boundaries are marked by a public track/road and usually dry river bed. Price is around 2.5 million baht." http://www.iamkohchang.com/Real_Estate/For_Sale.htm

2,5 rai = 4000 sq/m.

It's possible to obtain 10 little properties of 400 sq.m. each to sell for 250.000 baht each... at the end is less simple than i hoped :o

Edited by bolognamare

Well since this thread is about Koh Lanta but has diverted to other islands around Thailand - perhaps there are some comments about Koh Yao Noi which is a neighbour of Lanta but much less developed.

There are plans to develop Yao Noi into an eco- tourism/ residential destination and from what I have seen it's an idyllic island for this niche market. But only for those who enjoy a really quiet getaway....

• 3 weeks later...

And if anyone's interested ( which I very much doubt ) . . . . 4.5 million/rai on Koh Chang for agricultural land by the roadside in Klong Prao, no views at all. May seem steep but a Thai guy I know on KC was recently offered 25 million for his plot of around 5 rai, which includes a couple of bungalows a swimming pool and a restaurant - all on farmland - no land titles & not near the beach.

Our neighbours sold their fishermans house for 7 million baht - no titles of any kind only the house register. Bought by Thai businessman from Pattaya.

I just rode back from Koh Chang this afternoon. I have been going there since 1998. The Island has dramatically changed. There are atleast 10 atm machines in the space of 500 meters in White Sand Beach, 7-11's (2), all bungalows are converting to 2-3 story Hotel style/resorts, they have construction crews working 24 hrs a day, they have a real estate agency and I saw an Office for a Koh Chang tv station!! There a few bars outside the southern part of town and the local "Sabay" bar which has mushroomed into this air con palace, with Filipino band, wild decor, bouncers and many hookers....It used to be straw mats, fire show, sang som buckets, beer and giggle smoke....But now :o .

• 8 months later...

I just visited Koh Chang this April, and yes, there was plenty of consturction going on. But I went during the off season, and it was lovely, beaches were practically empty. I stood at the Kacha Resort, great place for the price.

There are a few places to party and eat, but its pretty mellow there. It is ceratinly not Phuket or Samui, thank God....but I can see that it is going that way and will eventually end up that way some day. There are a few working girls and ladyboys hanging out at the clubs, and again this was low season.....I believe that land is almost as expensive as Phuket or Samui being that it is so close to Bangkok. If your going to invest ...do it now....

Hope to go back next April again...or maybe I'll try to Adaman Sea again, its been awhile since I've been over that way...

Peace,

Mayacan