Government Reclaiming Land On Koh Chang

englishidiot

My wife spoke with her friend from Koh Chang this morning. She was very stressed because the government there is reclaiming a lot of land.

Apparently there have been a lot of government meetings and angry landowners are up in arms. A lot of people could lose land close to the jungle, land that has already been developed.

Anybody no any more about this story ?

Dont know anything specifically. But virtually everything on the inland side of the west coast road is built on Por Bor Tor 5 land which, according to the letter of the law, cant be developed. But this has been done simply because the land inland which isnt in the National Park hasn't been surveyed. Cant really blame people who want to build a house or small business on their own land

When I was at the Land Office in Laem Ngop last month they said the Navy wanted to stop development in some areas of the island - such as Klong Son and the far southern end of White Sand beach as they have a long standing claim on the land and didn't like he development that was going on. Also said virtually no chance of any untitled land being upgraded in the next 5 years.

I spoke with a friend and he told me it is the army taking back their land near the Klong Plu waterfall aswell as what Changian is saying KlongSon.

Apparently this will affect more than 200 people and they are very angry - talking about stopping the ferries in demonstration.

talking about stopping the ferries in demonstration.

I doubt many people would be willing to go up against the owners of the ferries and taxi mafia, plus piss of all the resort owners and business owners on the island with an action that wouldn't affect the army (or whoever is claiming the land) in any way. I think they have been watching too much coverage of the PAD airport take over and have lofty ambitions.

I was at the house of an English guy who lives near the waterfall yesterday afternoon and he didn't mention it at all. His house, like many in the area, is on untitled land on a dodgy 10 year unregistered lease