Kawasaki Er6n

12DrinkMore

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also wouldn't be surprised to find that there are some differences between what we have here and what they have in the UK.

Personally though I'd go the ER-6N just because it looks funky :o

Tony, you might wanna start looking for tail tidies though :D That licence plate hanger is HOOOOOOUGE!

I can understand euphoria about reasonably (read: cheap for Thailand standards) bikes such as ER6 but in all honesty it is an average machine. Kwakers are my favorite motorcycles but in general this model is known as "entry level" ride for novice. I had a chance to try one here in US and wasn't impressed, nothing spectacular really. Don't missunderstand, nothing wrong with it but it's just plain as it comes.

Lack of decent legaly imported bikes in Thailand forces potential customers to re-evalue and lower their standards when in reality majority of them wouldn't even bother taking second look at it. If you are in Europe or US, I am sure you'd never consider buying this particular model.

From business point of view, Kawasaki Thailand is staging a marketing coup...too bad other Japanese manufacturers don't follow suit, otherwise we could see some competition and few really nice models out there with reasonable prices. Someone mentioned earlier, the other "Big 3" Jap dealers seem to be content with current sales of mickey mouse bikes and have no intentions of taking risks by introducing bigger machines.

adad you where correct a very hefty 75,000 down and a poor 6.5%.

ีีummm looks like if i did want one i would have to talk to my friendly Bank guy. got the 2nd hand truck with less down and lower %. grrrrrrrrrr

Allan

I can understand euphoria about reasonably (read: cheap for Thailand standards) bikes such as ER6 but in all honesty it is an average machine. Kwakers are my favorite motorcycles but in general this model is known as "entry level" ride for novice. I had a chance to try one here in US and wasn't impressed, nothing spectacular really. Don't missunderstand, nothing wrong with it but it's just plain as it comes.

Lack of decent legaly imported bikes in Thailand forces potential customers to re-evalue and lower their standards when in reality majority of them wouldn't even bother taking second look at it. If you are in Europe or US, I am sure you'd never consider buying this particular model.

From business point of view, Kawasaki Thailand is staging a marketing coup...too bad other Japanese manufacturers don't follow suit, otherwise we could see some competition and few really nice models out there with reasonable prices. Someone mentioned earlier, the other "Big 3" Jap dealers seem to be content with current sales of mickey mouse bikes and have no intentions of taking risks by introducing bigger machines.

Agreed- If I was still in the US I would never have considered a Ninja 250R. Here in LOS with the limited choices, legal issues with imported bikes, and COMPLETELY different riding conditions my little Ninjette gave me 10,000km of worry free joy. It's a brilliant little bike, tough as nails, 100% legal in Thailand, with an excellent warranty and a great price. My only complaint would be that it's not really suited to the type of sport-touring that I like to do and it really can't handle a passenger.

The ER-6n, once outfitted with a screen and a Givi box will be perfect for touring Thailand, either solo, or with the missus on the back. (She LOVES those Aluminum grab bars!) :D It's not going to break any speed records on road or track, but then I'm not a speed freak anymore. :D

Sure, if price wasn't an object I'd probably have a BMW 1200GS, but money isn't growing on trees these days and I have yet to get over the ridiculous mark-up on imported motorcycles here in Thailand where the price of one bike here would buy me two at home!

In the end, I don't think it's so much about "lowering standards" than it is making the most of what's available. I can't tell you how happy and excited I am about the ER-6n. If I was still living in the US I don't think I'd ever buy one. But here in the Land of Smiles I think it's going to be PERFECT! :o

Let the Good Times Roll!!! :D

I'm confused. In the States an ER-6N costs 6 400 USD (220 000 THB). And yet the Thai version is all of 5 000 THB more costly. IIRC, taxes on the >250cc market is ~40%. Is that going to be ~40% on top of the 225 000THB (for a total of 315 000 THB), or is the tax included and the actual cost of the bike pre-tax ~161 000 THB? If my memory is correct about the taxes, how is Kawasaki offering the ER-6N so cheap and the Ninja 250 so costly?

I'm confused. In the States an ER-6N costs 6 400 USD (220 000 THB). And yet the Thai version is all of 5 000 THB more costly. IIRC, taxes on the >250cc market is ~40%. Is that going to be ~40% on top of the 225 000THB (for a total of 315 000 THB), or is the tax included and the actual cost of the bike pre-tax ~161 000 THB? If my memory is correct about the taxes, how is Kawasaki offering the ER-6N so cheap and the Ninja 250 so costly?

I tried to start a topic on this

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Big-Bike-Market-t236585.html

but nobody has come up with an answer and it degenerated, as too often the case, into a semi private conversation made public :o

Maybe TV could make PMs a little more user friendly. Might cut down a chunk of the dross.

Hi friends,

To Crobiker: I recently red somewhere that in EU the first bike in term of sale is the... ER6 (n/f)! That means customers feel OK with this bike. IMHO it's not a "reduced bike" but a trully decent one. Customers' comment: "Very efficient and easy to commute all the week long and a lot of fun on road trips during the week-end"... What an average biker (most of us on this thread I suppose) does ask more?

And the 6'2" tall and 82 kilos "mickey mouse" I am, confesses that for my eases the ER6 is a little bit small (no offence here!). I don't feel "correct" on the ride...

In this way, on the FZ6 I do feel at my ease...

Furthermore, I've NEVER been a speed freak (as said BigBikeBKK) on the roads. If I were, I bought a R6, R1 or whatever in an other brand... I'm rather a "quite" biker looking for some fun from time to time.

So, just for the record:

In the city, the FZ6 can be handled at 2000 rpm in the 3rd and 4th gear, following the traffic if needed, without knocking or suffering, and just by "opening" softly, the engine gently speeds up and allow you to take over smoothly... If you need more power in the moment, just fall down in the 2nd gear and give a lot: then the bike "jump quietly" to take over or exit a "suspicious" jamming...

On the open road, let talk the engine revs if you want, and have some great fun, or gently ride by changing gear at only 4000/6000 rpm if you are going the "nose in the clouds"... At only 6000 rpm in the 6th gear you are riding at 120 km/h (solo or with passenger, no matter), the body correctly protected by the half fairing. Oh, I suppose you "see" what is the speed at 12000 rpm...

That's part of why I like the FZ6: you CHOOSE your style of ride in the moment. Agressive or peaceful, the FZ6 gives it to you...

IMHO, I think the ER6 is more a bike to corner as well to "bullet". The FZ6 is longer, higher, heavier and smoother on its shock and fork, not so at ease for cornering or leaping (it's not a R6!)...

So, Kawy ER6 or Yam FZ6? Definitively, they are not the same bikes, as said Bard. They don't play in the same yard, better not to compare their specs, perfs or rides... They are, IMHO, two very good middle range bikes. Up to each one to make its own choice through its own feelings and needs: try them both before any purchase (if possible), and then, yes, you will be able to decide!

Well, that's my opinion (though many others share it already here and there)...

And I can understand many others don't share it too! :o

In any case, enjoy YOUR bike, and have a lot of fun!

Cheers to all,

Gobs

PS: the rear-view mirrors on the FZ6F are exceptionnaly clear, free of tremble at any speed and widely spreaded with a wide view on the two "rear sides" of the bike. Furthermore they are located in your "front vision field" because not fixed to the handlebar but high on the fairing. A very useful point for city riding...

Just spoke to a mate who was looking for a motard DRZ etc (the D-Tracker not enough grunt for him).. Told him about this machine.. An hour later he tells me his Patts Kwaker has 2 due in this afternoon and hes off to see if his missus can qualify for finance..

I told another local mate here and hes waiting for the Phuket dealer to have a test ride..

These ARE selling like hot cakes, every half interested biking mate whose been put off by the price / quality ratio seems to think this has hit the spot.

Sorry people,

Currently I believe that somebody in Kawasaki has revised its ideas about the motorcycle market in Thailand, Kawasaki will not introduce any larger models at this point, next revue is up in 6 months.

Erm.. Someone has to mention this :o

Sorry people,

Currently I believe that somebody in Kawasaki has revised its ideas about the motorcycle market in Thailand, Kawasaki will not introduce any larger models at this point, next revue is up in 6 months.

Indeed, once again Richard has revealed how worthless his information is... You'll recall this is the same guy who has predicted bankruptcy for Kawasaki and a takeover by some no name Indian firm... :o:D:D

Sorry people,

Indeed, once again Richard has revealed how worthless his information is... You'll recall this is the same guy who has predicted bankruptcy for Kawasaki and a takeover by some no name Indian firm... :o:D:D

Kawa is a bit in trouble at the moment - which might explain why they took a big risk and entered the Thai market with affordable big bikes. I think they'll do fantastically well here, BTW. Because Thais love motorbikes, and the middle class is big enough.

Anyway the trouble with insider information is, it changes a lot, and quickly. Add to that the usual amount of BS that you get when talking to people and you end up with a lot of noise...

For anyone interested here's the price and breakdown of the new Kawasaki ER-6n:

Unit Price: 210,280.37

7% Tax: 14,719.63

TOTAL: 225,000.00

Required Insurance:645.21

Price on the road: 226,570.21

Naturally I'll be buying additional 1st class insurance. Guessing that will run ~15,000THB

Happy Trails!

So what about the over 250cc tax?

For anyone interested here's the price and breakdown of the new Kawasaki ER-6n:

Unit Price: 210,280.37

7% Tax: 14,719.63

TOTAL: 225,000.00

Required Insurance:645.21

Price on the road: 226,570.21

Naturally I'll be buying additional 1st class insurance. Guessing that will run ~15,000THB

Happy Trails!

So what about the over 250cc tax?

Hi Dave,

I have to 'assume' that the tax has already been paid and is included in the price. I'll ask at Kawasaki when I pick up the new bike next week, ok? Happy Trails! Tony

Just stopped by the dealer in Chiang Mai & was told that the ER6n will be here next week. I'll be there to check it out for sure.

Hmm, good, another week to think about a convincing end to the sentence "Honey, I need to sell the brand new D-Tracker and buy a ER6n because...." :o:D

If it has ABS maybe safety concerns could be mentioned??!

Hi,

Mityon Pattayas new showroom on Sukhumvit have two ER-6N's, a black one and metallic orange.

I was really taken with them, and have ordered one. I was told I can collect it on 29th Jan.

I was there around 12 oclock and they had already sold 4 today.

At 225K these are a bargain IMO. Just so glad I didn't buy a ninja or D-Tracker (I came very close).

Cheers

You are 100% correct there LivingLOS, bikers priority is bikes and fun not all the common agony of mankind such as getting permission by the wife or the law. To be honest I am glad I have a Ninja 250, it is an amazing bike with so much fun built in it's brilliant, let the Ninja have a go at any bigger bike in heavy traffic and it will outrun most of them. At a top speed of mine to 182 km/h it's no slug either. However long trips and or heavy loads it's not it's game, then a bigger bike is it. Then again the everyday run around beating the shit out of traffic it would be missed a lot. So yes get two bikes a light one and a bigger one, it makes perfect sense to me :o

Cheers Bard

Archived