Which Pattaya Internet Package

MeetJohnDoe

I am thinking again about getting a "high-speed" internet connection at my home in Pattaya's Farside. Currently, I use DTAC's GPRS/EDGE service via a Sierra Wireless SIM card adapter. The EDGE service is pretty good all things considered, but for viewing streaming video or video downloads, it is very slow. For all other purposes like audio streaming or downloads, it is fine for what I need.

My choices seem to be TT&Ts Maxnet service and Banglamung cable TV's cable internet service. Most people I have asked seem pretty happy with Maxnet's Premier 2Mb package and it is priced at B 1090 per month now. Don't know what the cost of the line install and modem is however. B-TV's current 2Mb package is B 1500 for install and free modem...and monthly cost is B 2000.

Does anyone know why B-TV's 2 Mb monthly cost is twice Maxnet's for the same speed?

Currently, I don't have any land phone line at my house. I guess an additional cost with going with Maxnet will be getting ( :o ) a land line from TOT before the Maxnet service can be started.

Anyone with experience with either of these services have any comments to share or have some recommendations?

TT&T's Maxnet Premier will be far superior over BTV.

You'll need to get a TT&T line in first (NOT TOT, they cannot support Maxnet!), and that might be a problem as most main cables are full on the darkside...

BTV is more expensive as they are trying to recoup investments and are only a very small outfit compared to Maxnet. Additionally BTV requires an expensive cable modem (approx 5,000 Baht) as well.

TT&T's Maxnet Premier will be far superior over BTV.

Not always true TT&T use telephone cable and the length and qualitiy of the cable governs what speed you get not what they tell you this is why there is a lot of discrepancy on what people recommend also electrical interference can cause disconnections the only way is to try and see.

I tried to get Maxnet but after 2 weeks they could not get a connection and after 3 Months I am still waiting for my deposit back I use BTV at the moment I had big problems at first with disconnections but I must say BTV did try very hard to sort it out (sometimes I had 7 engineers working inside and outside my house) and whilst I still have a couple of disconnections every day it is much faster than TOT that I had in my last house and the service that I get from there engineers is much much better than I ever got from TT&T

Well, my decision was sort of made for me...I had stopped into the B-TV office on Nernplubwan yesterday for more information and gave the ladies my contact number and address for what I thought would be a visit from their techs to see that a connection was feasible and then I would decide whether I wanted to go through with it or not.

Well, this morning, the service truck shows up and say they have and an order for an installation and show me their work order and all. I tell them that I really only wanted a line check and that I will make a final decision later. They say my moobaan already is wired with another house already and the connection is no problem and they can do it in 30 minutes. They seem like nice blokes and the thought of having my first "high-speed" internet connection in Thailand is too much to resist (I was here 10 years ago in the beginnings of the dial-up era when it sometimes took 5 minutes or more to load a Hotmail page) so I told them to go ahead. I guess that's one way to increase you sales in a down economy :o

Since I have no current land line phone connection and the problems people report getting one and then a line from Maxnet, this is probably the better option for me...and one day after visiting the office I have my connection!

Well, they hooked me up in no time and everything seems to be working nicely :D A 425 Mb video download that I was doing before on my EDGE connection that was telling me it was going to be a 7 hour download now reads 2.0 hours on by B-TV connection. That's a good enough improvement for me to think the service is worth it.

Here is my current Speed Test.Net reading:

The download speed of 1776 kb/s is very close to the advertised 2Mb speed (this never got over 400 kb/s on EDGE) but the upload at 146 kb/s is below the 500 advertised (but also not that important). I notice that the ISP provider is said to be CAT Telecom so basically with B-TV, you get a CAT connection, which I have heard mostly good things about.

375405569.png

Edited by MeetJohnDoe

375405569.png[/url]

Keep your eye on the upload speed and do not be afraid to complain as I said before I have always found them helpful and I did not have to pay until I was happy with the speed and reliability I just carried out speed check and got 1842 down/496 up which is about normal download from Bangkok

Indeed Supernet and B-TV internet (both cable internet providers) are just re-selling CAT internet.

According to their own techs they are putting up to eight 2MB customers on a CAT 4 Mbps connection. So you are basically sharing on a 4:1 ratio...

• 1 month later...
I notice that the ISP provider is said to be CAT Telecom so basically with B-TV, you get a CAT connection
Indeed Supernet and B-TV internet (both cable internet providers) are just re-selling CAT internet.

CAT provides the infrastructure for all internet service providers in Thailand.

The difference in services comes from the infrastructure from CAT to the home.

TOT and TT&T both use copper telephone wires where as BTV uses fiber-optic until the last 100m or so in co-axial cable.

According to their own techs they are putting up to eight 2MB customers on a CAT 4 Mbps connection. So you are basically sharing on a 4:1 ratio...

This is untrue, each cable modem has an unique username and password built in which provides access to 2Mbps transfer speeds through CAT.

A maximum of 50 customers share a single BTV line which can support 100Mbps each.

The exception to this is where the customer decides them self to share a single connection between multiple computers.

Well, my decision was sort of made for me...I had stopped into the B-TV office on Nernplubwan yesterday for more information and gave the ladies my contact number and address for what I thought would be a visit from their techs to see that a connection was feasible and then I would decide whether I wanted to go through with it or not.

Well, this morning, the service truck shows up and say they have and an order for an installation and show me their work order and all. I tell them that I really only wanted a line check and that I will make a final decision later. They say my moobaan already is wired with another house already and the connection is no problem and they can do it in 30 minutes. They seem like nice blokes and the thought of having my first "high-speed" internet connection in Thailand is too much to resist (I was here 10 years ago in the beginnings of the dial-up era when it sometimes took 5 minutes or more to load a Hotmail page) so I told them to go ahead. I guess that's one way to increase you sales in a down economy :o

Since I have no current land line phone connection and the problems people report getting one and then a line from Maxnet, this is probably the better option for me...and one day after visiting the office I have my connection!

Well, they hooked me up in no time and everything seems to be working nicely :D A 425 Mb video download that I was doing before on my EDGE connection that was telling me it was going to be a 7 hour download now reads 2.0 hours on by B-TV connection. That's a good enough improvement for me to think the service is worth it.

Here is my current Speed Test.Net reading:

The download speed of 1776 kb/s is very close to the advertised 2Mb speed (this never got over 400 kb/s on EDGE) but the upload at 146 kb/s is below the 500 advertised (but also not that important). I notice that the ISP provider is said to be CAT Telecom so basically with B-TV, you get a CAT connection, which I have heard mostly good things about.

375405569.png

Of course .... almost all download speeds locally are close to their advertised rates.

BTW It might look like an improvement, but I download 800 MB movie in an hour on TOT Cybegold (Bangkok). :D

I notice that the ISP provider is said to be CAT Telecom so basically with B-TV, you get a CAT connection

CAT provides the infrastructure for all internet service providers in Thailand.

The difference in services comes from the infrastructure from CAT to the home.

TOT and TT&T both use copper telephone wires where as BTV uses fiber-optic until the last 100m or so in co-axial cable.

This is untrue, each cable modem has an unique username and password built in which provides access to 2Mbps transfer speeds through CAT.

A maximum of 50 customers share a single BTV line which can support 100Mbps each.

The exception to this is where the customer decides them self to share a single connection between multiple computers.

CAT has not been the main infrastructure provider for a long time.

TT&T, Csloxinfo, True and a few others completely bypass the CAT network, their international traffic gets routed through their own International Internet Gateways.

I have no experience with B-TV, but supernet is simply re-distributing CAT ADSL.

When punching in the gateway IP you get assigned by their DHCP servers into your web browser, you simply end up on the log in screen of a D-link DSL 504T router.

In the early days they even didn't bother changing the default password (admin) so I could get in and see that their package was a 4Mbps CAT Hinet package! Out of which I got 1.5 Mbps during off peak hours and maybe 200 kbps during peak hours. Now I also have a CAT connection on another location, and I know it does never go as low as that, so Supernet has definitely more users on that 1 router!

Supernet uses for their entire network the LAN over COAX system from Corinex. This theoretically allows up to 200 Mbps transmission speeds but practically you'll get more like 80Mbps.