Is This Readable?

booma

I am very curious as to what this says.

I came across it when I was having a drink with a friend and this thai girl he had met somewhere along the way, she knew the barman and were chatting away until they thought we could understand what they were saying so they started writting things, obviously, about us. anyhow one of the pieces of paper became my property and I have tried to get it translated, but no one will tell me what it says?

The only way I could work out to put in the forum was via my avator.

Translated to English as best we can see it.....

First part.... Speak Thai...

The other part with the red line... we can't read, looks like "----" Big or???

Well at least I'm sure they were talkig about us! surprise surprise!

Thanks

I do have a clearer image but don't know how to post it on this forum!

My wife ran your post into my language lesson tonight and explained to me that it was a rude comment by the way it was used in this context. It actually said "it speak thai" "It" is not a proper form to use when you are talking about a person and thus rude.

Translated to English as best we can see it.....

First part.... Speak Thai...

The other part with the red line... we can't read, looks like "----" Big or???

Well at least I'm sure they were talkig about us! surprise surprise!

Thanks

I do have a clearer image but don't know how to post it on this forum!

To post an image you need to upload it to the web somewhere so it can be accessed by a URL (internet address), e.g. http://www.imagestoragesite.com/nameoftheimage.jpg

Thaivisa has a photoalbum open for members, shouldnt be too hard to find through the main menu.

มันพูดไทย at the top. มัน is a pronoun normally reserved for animals and inanimate objects. When used to refer to people it shows a lack of respect. It does get used a lot though, in the third person.

I couldn't read the line crossed out in red but the second word could by 'big' in Thai.

I can't confidently interpret it. To me it looks like:

มัน พูด ไทย ว่า

จาย โหย่

'He speaks Thai - say

pay tired' (The tone mark on the second line should be on the first word, not the second.)

The start of the second line is indecipherable from the avatar. What looks like a single stroke on the far left actually has a break in it. It's even possible that the second line reads

ภย ใหย่, which could be a spelling mistake for ภัย ใหญ่ 'big danger'. If so, I don't think much has been learnt by purloining the paper - it just says, 'He speaks Thai - watch out!'. You deduced as much from their switching from speech to writing.

My wife reckons, from a quick glance, that the second line says คน ใหม่ - 'new person'. However, I disbelieve that reading.

I came across it when I was having a drink with a friend and this thai girl he had met somewhere along the way, she knew the barman and were chatting away until they thought we could understand what they were saying so they started writting things, obviously, about us. anyhow one of the pieces of paper became my property and I have tried to get it translated, but no one will tell me what it says?

lukamar Posted Yesterday, 2004-12-22 11:34:14

My wife ran your post into my language lesson tonight and explained to me that it was a rude comment by the way it was used in this context. It actually said "it speak thai" "It" is not a proper form to use when you are talking about a person and thus rude.

sabaijai Posted Yesterday, 2004-12-22 15:57:20

มันพูดไทย at the top. มัน is a pronoun normally reserved for animals and inanimate objects. When used to refer to people it shows a lack of respect. It does get used a lot though, in the third person.

I couldn't read the line crossed out in red but the second word could by 'big' in Thai.

gburns57au Posted Yesterday, 2004-12-22 18:59:56

I think it is he speak thai that body large......definately not said with affection.

I am very curious as to what this says

Everybody seems to be a bit paranoid and then he projects that paranoia onto our Thai speaking friends... :D

I think the note might actually say the following... :D

มันพูดไทยว่า ควยใหญ่ "mun poot Thai wah_koo-ai yai"=In the Thai language, it is said like this,"Koo-Ai Yai"/In Thai,it is called "Big Dick"! :o

Here,the pronoun มัน ( "mun"=it) doesn't refer to the person himself but rather his "member" in Thai. :D

Maybe the note wasn't meant as an insult at all but rather a compliment for being "well-hung"! :D

Hope this helps and makes some sense!

Now let us all get into the spirit of Xmas and New Year's with some assistance from our good-natured and fun-loving Buddhists friends! :D

Happy Holidays Folks! :D

Cheers,

Snowleopard

Edited by snowleopard

I think it is he speak thai that body large......definately not said with affection.

Everybody seems to be a bit paranoid and then he projects that paranoia onto our Thai speaking friends... :D

มันพูดไทยว่า ควยใหญ่ "mun poot Thai wah_koo-ai yai"=In the Thai language, it is said like this,"Koo-Ai Yai"/In Thai,it is called "Big Dick"! :o

Here,the pronoun มัน ( "mun"=it) doesn't refer to the person himself but rather his "member" in Thai. :D

Maybe the note wasn't meant as an insult at all but rather a compliment for being "well-hung"! :D

Now let us all get into the spirit of Xmas and New Year's with some assistance from our good-natured and fun-loving Buddhists friends! :D

Cheers,

Snowleopard

Sorry Snow.....the first letter of the second line is Dtor - Dtow....

If the writer was referring to his member it would be Man Kuay yai.....By saying Man phout Thai the reference is to the person.

Regards

Cheers,

Snowleopard

Sorry Snow Leopard, but there was no paranoa from my point.

I am just having some sanook, and the thai's are the reason I go to thailand to have 'sanook', after all sanook is their thing!

I am also sorry if any Thai's are getting paranoid, but I never try to talk about any one behind there backs. I DON'T talk about people behind there backs, that sort of behaviour creates paranoid attitudes.

Seasonal greetings

Jing Jing merrily on high

Chock dee took took wahn

Pop gam reu reu nee.

B