Phuket Box Jellyfish Alert: One Captured, Diver Stung

alanmorison

And just what exactly do they intend to do about it ? There is very little to do ! We had the same alarmist postings about them being found near Samui. You cannot eradicate them you can just educate people that they are there and to be aware.

And just what exactly do they intend to do about it ? There is very little to do ! We had the same alarmist postings about them being found near Samui. You cannot eradicate them you can just educate people that they are there and to be aware.

Exactly right and what a joke that Phuketwan article is where it says this could effect tourism more than the airport closures...........

I swim the length of Nai Hairn and back regularly and through my goggles have seen lots of jellyfish toward the bottom. No big deal. Box jellyfish? Never. Actually got a sting right between my eyes last week, looked like an accento between the eyes..........I do keep vinegar under the seat of my bike though.

The creatures are here and here to stay, no reason to freak out over one caught at Yacht Haven.......

Exactly right and what a joke that Phuketwan article is where it says this could effect tourism more than the airport closures...........

I swim the length of Nai Hairn and back regularly and through my goggles have seen lots of jellyfish toward the bottom. No big deal. Box jellyfish? Never. Actually got a sting right between my eyes last week, looked like an accento between the eyes..........I do keep vinegar under the seat of my bike though.

The creatures are here and here to stay, no reason to freak out over one caught at Yacht Haven.......

So im not the only one who thinks that the phuketwan are a little over the top with their doom and gloom reporting ? Im aware that phuketwan is an advertiser on TV so I will go easy.

Please phuketwan, we are fully aware that the current climate is looking very grim and Phuket does have its problems, but could you consider maybe having a "Happy" section on your site ? Or have a bit more positive/good news on there ? The site gives the impression that Phuket is he_l on earth, which is not good for Phuket business's who are in the tourism industry. (Myself being one).

I have been a regular visitor to your site and I find it very good source of unbiased information, but more recently I have restrained myself as I feel so depressed immediately after visiting the site. :o

So im not the only one who thinks that the phuketwan are a little over the top with their doom and gloom reporting ?
No, you are not. There have been some discussions with them about their way of reporting here on the site, have a look at these.

Please phuketwan, we are fully aware that the current climate is looking very grim and Phuket does have its problems, but could you consider maybe having a "Happy" section on your site ? Or have a bit more positive/good news on there ? The site gives the impression that Phuket is he_l on earth, which is not good for Phuket business's who are in the tourism industry. (Myself being one).

Actually I quite like the reporting.. Its a balance against the fluff and constantly pro real estate advertisers and editorials in other local publications. Plus they dont really go digging for dirt, if they wanted to cover the daily thug like behaviour of the locals, the lack of police action when tuktuks beat people up with lumps of wood (in front of a polcieman), the never ending scams, they would have mountains of copy.. Yet they dont..

Yes perhaps in a case or two they have been a little OTT.. But then when arent other publications OTT in the other direction ?? Laughable property editorials written by those with vested interest explaining how a fantasy market wont contract :o !!

Ther fact that you have a vested interest and would rather reports didnt expose the truth about things shouldnt be relevant for people who would rather hear it.

An Australian yachting couple on Bang Tao last night spotted what is believed to be a box jellyfish.

http://phuketwan.com/tourism/box-jellyfish...ets-west-coast/

OH MY BUDDHA, THAT'S TWO !!!! CAN'T GO TO PHUKET ANYMORE !!!

Maybe we should go to South Africa, oh no, they have sharks there.

Maybe we should go to Hawaii, no dangerous stinging corals, sharks too.

Maybe we should go to the U.S., no, GW Bush is still president (only two more weeks thank God).

Maybe we should just stay home, inside so that nothing can harm us.......wait, need to see the Dr. about my paranoia.

• 2 weeks later...

They are in Thai waters and seem to be increasing.......

Maybe due to sea temps changing, prolonged storms or part of a natural cycle plus Natural predators such as turtles declining who knows.

Fact is they have been recognized and confirmed as being here at both the Andaman and Gulf coasts.

People just need to be aware and know how to act accordingly,There is still only a very small chance of getting stung however.

For now there is not a specific stinger season that has thousands of the buggers swamping the beaches as in Northern Queensland.

Evidence does show that in the gulf they seem to only be there in the peak of monsoon Oct -Dec.

This is not alarmist its simple fact, should people stay out of the sea here not at all ! just be aware .

5 days ago I saw at least a dozen jellyfish off Surin beach, about the size of grapfruits, several were on dead on the beach too. Purplish colour .

I agree Phuket Post and Gazette run property " Articles" all the time from authors that never disclose their biased real estate interests. Post is practically nothing but a hi-gloss, bleached earth killing-condo ad .

Phuket Box Jellyfish: Warning Guides Fast Tracked

By Shanya Phattrasaya

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

SPREADING information about jellyfish was made a priority by the Phuket Governor, Dr Preecha Ruangjan, today. Action will begin from next Monday.

Resorts, dive boats, tour boats and other businesses near the sea will be given guides to first aid.

The governor emphasised the need for speed and said he would fast-track funding and anything else that was required.

Tourists and residents needed to know how to identify the dangerous box jellyfish and distinguish it from other jellyfish, the governor told a meeting of concerned authorities.

The gathering at the Public Health Department was told that public safety was most important, especially as jellyfish of all kinds appeared to be more prominent in waters around Phuket this high season.

Research on the spread of the dangerous box jellyfish is also being fast-traced, said Dr Somchai Bussarawit, the chief of the museum and aquarium at the Phuket Marine Biological Centre.

item --7— on VDO at http://thainews.prd.go.th/newsenglish/prev...php?news_id=917

Phuket authorities plan workshop to educate tourism operators and local government personnel about types of jellyfish and to be able to give first aid to those who are exposed to them.

Despite getting confirmation that the type of jelly fish found on Phuket’s beaches in the past week are harmless and even edible, Phuket provincial authority prepares to educate and give accurate information about the types of jellyfish and how to prevent suffering from poisonous types to students, the general public and tourists. The Governor Mr. Preecha Ruangjan called a meeting with related officials, marine biologists and representatives from all 19 local governments across the island. Mr. Preecha assigned the provincial Office of Fisheries to draw up training workshops and focus on marine and beach operators including crew and beach guards. They are expected to know about types of jelly fish and how to handle or give first aid in case they are exposed to poisonous ones. The public health office is also assigned to put up signs and give out vinegar to boat operators to use for treatment. The program is to be implemented next week. A marine biologist Somchai Bussarawit said they found box jelly fish at mangrove area in Ao Nam Bor bay a few months ago and Australian experts examined them and later found harmless Cephea Jellyfish in the past week. Deputy Chief Medical Doctor Wiwat Sritamanote advises first aid for people who are exposed to jellyfish, by putting vinegar on the wound before taking them to hospital for treatment. If touched by box jelly fish they should apply cold water, not warm water, as it would enlarge blood veins and the poison would spread quickly.