Bomb Hits Thailand Amid Warning

george

Bomb hits Thailand amid warning

BANGKOK: -- A bomb hidden in a motorbike has killed one person and wounded eight outside a bank in southern Thailand, as a top adviser warns that Islamic insurgents may be targeting tourist resorts across the nation.

Authorities believe the bomb was detonated via cell phone. The attack took place at 9:05 a.m. Friday in front of a branch of the Siam Commercial Bank.

There was no immediate claim of responsibility.

Violence has troubled the Muslim south of predominantly Buddhist Thailand for decades, but has worsened this year, with more than 500 people dying so far.

Until now, the violence has been concentrated in the south, where most of Thailand's Muslim population lives.

But a senior security advisor to Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra has warned that the separatist campaign could escalate, saying Islamic insurgents are plotting to attack tourist resorts across Thailand next year.

Gen. Kitti Rattanachaya told the Associated Press that documents found in the house of a fugitive leader of the country's Islamic insurgency indicate plans to broaden the conflict and turn predominantly Muslim provinces into bases for attacks on the rest of the majority Buddhist country.

The rebels also plan to turn three Muslim-dominated provinces in the south into a base for international terrorist groups, he told AP.

Thailand's government has already blamed the rise in violence on domestic separatists taking a cue from other Muslim extremist movements around the world.

But there is also speculation that international Muslim extremists are present in the region or that insurgents are retaliating against Thaksin's heavy-handed war on drugs, which affects the economically desperate region.

Rattanachaya said the documents show that in 2005, the militants plan to attack "soft targets" such as the tropical beach resorts of Pattaya and Phuket, which draw tourist from around the world.

On Thursday thousands of teachers walked off their jobs to protest a lack of security in the country's south.

More than 300 schools in Pattani province, a region hard hit by the Muslim insurgency, closed their doors Thursday.

But others in Yala and Narathiwat provinces remained open.

The teachers say they won't return to school until the government can provide adequate protection, an education official said.

Southern residents, who are mainly ethnically Malay and not Thai, claim the Buddhist administration in Bangkok discriminates against them.

--CNN 2004-12-24

BANGKOK: -- A bomb hidden in a motorbike has killed one person and wounded eight outside a bank in southern Thailand, as a top adviser warns that Islamic insurgents may be targeting tourist resorts across the nation.

Authorities believe the bomb was detonated via cell phone. The attack took place at 9:05 a.m. Friday in front of a branch of the Siam Commercial Bank.

Violence has troubled the Muslim south of predominantly Buddhist Thailand for decades, but has worsened this year, with more than 500 people dying so far.

Until now, the violence has been concentrated in the south, where most of Thailand's Muslim population lives.

But a senior security advisor to Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra has warned that the separatist campaign could escalate, saying Islamic insurgents are plotting to attack tourist resorts across Thailand next year.

Gen. Kitti Rattanachaya told the Associated Press that documents found in the house of a fugitive leader of the country's Islamic insurgency indicate plans to broaden the conflict and turn predominantly Muslim provinces into bases for attacks on the rest of the majority Buddhist country.

The rebels also plan to turn three Muslim-dominated provinces in the south into a base for international terrorist groups, he told AP.

Thailand's government has already blamed the rise in violence on domestic separatists taking a cue from other Muslim extremist movements around the world.

But there is also speculation that international Muslim extremists are present in the region or that insurgents are retaliating against Thaksin's heavy-handed war on drugs, which affects the economically desperate region.

Rattanachaya said the documents show that in 2005, the militants plan to attack "soft targets" such as the tropical beach resorts of Pattaya and Phuket, which draw tourist from around the world.

On Thursday thousands of teachers walked off their jobs to protest a lack of security in the country's south.

More than 300 schools in Pattani province, a region hard hit by the Muslim insurgency, closed their doors Thursday.

The teachers say they won't return to school until the government can provide adequate protection, an education official said.

Southern residents, who are mainly ethnically Malay and not Thai, claim the Buddhist administration in Bangkok discriminates against them.

--CNN 2004-12-24

:o:D

Notice it doesn't say where. Here is an update from the BBC World service:

At least two people have been killed and several injured after a bomb exploded in southern Thailand.

The blast happened at a Siam Commercial Bank branch in Sungai Kolok, a town in Narathiwat province on the border with Malaysia, said police

:D:D

--CNN 2004-12-24

:o:D

Notice it doesn't say where. Here is an update from the BBC World service:

At least two people have been killed and several injured after a bomb exploded in southern Thailand.

The blast happened at a Siam Commercial Bank branch in Sungai Kolok, a town in Narathiwat province on the border with Malaysia, said police

:D:D

Thailand bomb blast kills 1, wounds 8

One person has been killed and at least eight others wounded in the latest bomb attack blamed on Islamic separatists in insurgency-hit southern Thailand.

The blast came after top security officials warned of an upsurge in attacks and police said they were ordering an extra 2,000 officers to reinforce security in the southern-most provinces.

The bomb had been planted in a motorcycle parked in front of an ATM machine in Narathiwat, which is one of three southern provinces that have borne the brunt of the insurgency.

"One died and eight were injured, one critically," Sub-Lieutenant Anon Praditsaeng said.

He says most of the casualties are bank customers.

Narathiwat's Governor, Pracha Taerat, says that the attack is the work of Muslim separatists intent on exhibiting their continued capacity to strike in the south despite a recent crackdown.

"The bomb attack in Sungai Kolok was absolutely the work of separatist militants who are undergoing a tense psychological war with authorities and want to flex their muscles," Mr Pracha said.

Police have yet to determine how the device was set off or what explosives were used.

A forensics team has been dispatched to the scene.

Violence has erupted almost daily in Thailand's Muslim-dominated south this year.

Most attacks have targeted security forces, government officials or teachers, but they have also struck at Buddhist monks, villagers and tourists.

Security officials have said militants were planning major attacks in the south and the capital Bangkok around January 4, the anniversary of a raid on an army base that sparked the insurgency.

- AFP

It looks like the paper birds failed to covince muslim radicals that there is another way.

I had hoped that Mr. Thaksin had hit upon something that we, from the west, were too cynical to see. It seems not.

One of the saddest parts of all this is the closing of so many schools. Without an education system we are doomed to watch as another group of radicals are born.

Maybe a post i was lambasted for has taken on a new relevence.

Do members of this forum reckon this situation will esculate? If so, what will we do? I love Thailand, and am working my <deleted> off so that one day I can live there, but now im starting to have a few doubts.

I have a house in the north but my favorite part of Thailand is near the south. I hope all parties can come together and sort things out so that we can all live in peace. Havent we all had enough of this <deleted> by now. Make love not war, sounds daft, but its got to be better than people getting shot in the back and bombs going off.

I worry that the militants may strike somewhere which is packed with people during the holiday, similar to what happened in Bali. There isnt much we can do, but I for one just hope the government can give the people something (not paper aeroplanes) solid and tempt the majority away from the extremists.

Thailand is a great country (I know we all like to have a moan now and again) but its better than living in our own countries, otherwise we wouldn't all be living over there or working hard to get another ho;iday there. The government need to invest in the south heavily as I think the root of the problem is neglect. Give peace a chance, its got to be better than the alternative. :o

Do members of this forum reckon this situation will esculate? If so, what will we do? I love Thailand, and am working my <deleted> off so that one day I can live there, but now im starting to have a few doubts.

I have a house in the north but my favorite part of Thailand is near the south. I hope all parties can come together and sort things out so that we can all live in peace. Havent we all had enough of this <deleted> by now. Make love not war, sounds daft, but its got to be better than people getting shot in the back and bombs going off.

I worry that the militants may strike somewhere which is packed with people during the holiday, similar to what happened in Bali. There isnt much we can do, but I for one just hope the government can give the people something (not paper aeroplanes) solid and tempt the majority away from the extremists.

Thailand is a great country (I know we all like to have a moan now and again) but its better than living in our own countries, otherwise we wouldn't all be living over there or working hard to get another ho;iday there. The government need to invest in the south heavily as I think the root of the problem is neglect. Give peace a chance, its got to be better than the alternative.  :o

I did post the warning from the terrorists website onto thai visa, warning tourists not to go near military or military establishments, police or police stations etc etcetc and how they would increase there attacks over the xmas holidays, but unfortuneately as the site is banned from viewing in thailand the moderators decided to delete the post, it was a straight cut and paste from www.pulo.org at the time they were hosted in egypt, the last time i checked the site had been hacked and was down, whether they have been rehosted yet or not i dont know.

in one news report they say 2 uk tourists were in the blast, whether its true or not we shall know over the next day or two.

Do members of this forum reckon this situation will esculate?

I for one unfortunately think it will and no amount of paper aeroplanes will appease the situation nor will killing people.

What have they got to lose?

Speaking as someone who lived through the bombings in the UK by the IRA in the 70's and 80's, remember what they said before they sat down for peace talks with government ministers in Downing St, "We only have to get lucky once, just after they blew up the hotel in Brighton where most of the Tory party leadership were staying, you ( the security services) have to be lucky all the time".

So before we get the morons here saying, bomb them with pig fat etc.

Is there any chance of a reasoned debate?

Most probably not.

The problem is not just Thailand's...

Muslims are having problems all over the world.. on every continent... with everyone.

now Thailand is getting a taste of it ..... and the Thai government will know no amount of debate can persuade a radical to change his mind, that's the real problem.

radical Muslims are the new world problem " disease " - most of the Muslims I know in thailand are good people and do not support these radicals....

but one thing is for certain - thailand is not so soft and easily ashamed for protecting its population or national security, like many western nations who are at the mercy of too many do-gooders...

if there is a major terrorist strike in a popular tourist area in Thailand then there will be one almighty clampdown and the Muslims will suffer enormously.....

unfortunately many innocent people will suffer - but there is no way the Thai military or police will sit and watch this happening.... this is probably why the terrorists don't venture very far north - if they get caught, they will not make it back - ever!

amarka...

^^^pretty much like those muslims that were loaded onto lorries and moved 70 km north, 60 odd of them died on route due to suffocation, the bad bit is was that they wernt terrorists, lets say that none of the dead were brothers or sisters etc, thats 60 odd extended families that are a little bit angry with the thai government, there are also the other 1500 muslims that survived the journey and were held for several days and beaten who might be a little bit angry at the government...

The real Tak Bai story can't be tell but we put it this way: Once upon a time they is an old lady who loves cats,she has hundred of cats in her house,she loves her cats very much but one day few of the cats try to eat this old lady alive.

When the son of this old lady knows the bad intention of the bad cats, of course he try to "get rid" of those bad cats but due to, too many cats in the house some of the good cat does get hurt too.

The truth incident can't be tell but try to understand the meaning of this story, how can the bad cats have this cruel intention when they have been living with the old lady since they born, the old lady take care them when they are sick, feed them but they try to kill her when she in sleep and on road.

Do members of this forum reckon this situation will esculate?

I for one unfortunately think it will and no amount of paper birds will appease the situation nor will killing people.

What have they got to lose?

Speaking as someone who lived through the bombings in the UK by the IRA in the 70's and 80's, remember what they said before they sat down for peace talks with government ministers in Downing St, "We only have to get lucky once, just after they blew up the hotel in Brighton where most of the Tory party leadership were staying, you ( the security services) have to be lucky all the time".

So before we get the morons here saying, bomb them with pig fat etc.

Is there any chance of a reasoned debate?

Most probably not.

^^^pretty much like those muslims that were loaded onto lorries and moved 70 km north, 60 odd of them died on route due to suffocation, the bad bit is was that they wernt terrorists, lets say that none of the dead were brothers or sisters etc, thats 60 odd extended families that are a little bit angry with the thai government, there are also the other 1500 muslims that survived the journey and were held for several days and beaten who might be a little bit angry at the government...

Hello Crazy Dave,

what happened here is what will happen on a much wider scale if there is a big bomb in a popular tourist area.

The Thai military and police have proved time and time again they are not soft like the west - and the Thai government has more political will than our own hen pecked governments who have to justify defending the nation.

now who is right and who is wrong - well that's not something we cant solve now is it?

your entitled to your opinion and me to mine and we may well be 1,000 miles from the truth...

the point here being my answer to the original post if things would get worse and my remarks that if they do then I think I might know what the Thai governments response would be...

and this can only be bad news to all of us who love thailand - indeed to anyone who wants to live in peace...

amarka

amarka

the uk used to have a shoot to kill policy for northern ireland(although i have never heard of a shoot to wound policy anywhere in the world), but it didnt work, ok they shot a few in gibralter in the back and killed them, but there were lots more worms in the can and they came out and continued to bomb london, its still not sorted out yet and is an ongoing saga, now wot we have to remember is that both catholics and christians fear death more than muslims and budhists, so they will go that bit further, as we have seen by the suicide deaths of the bombers against israel, 5 years ago who would have said that muslims will bomb a disco in bali and kill like 200 ppl would have been ridiculed, if i said now that they would bomb say nana plaza i would be ridiculed, but the fact now is that down south they are killing and bombing everyday, how difficult would it be for them to come to bkk or pattaya, the ira used to use fertiliser and sugar to make car bombs, that is now banned in ireland, the fertiliser that is, its available here though, the terrorist organisation has there own website, so therefore they are able to use the internet.

ok i just done a google "sugar fertiliser bombs" 3rd one down gives the chemical names, here it is

http://www.ladlass.com/intel/archives/006827.html

now if i done the chemical search i would find the ingredients for a car bomb which are available here, thats how easy it is for terrorists...

will they bomb bkk? we all hope not.. can they bomb bkk? yep obviously they can, all we can hope for is that they leave the tourist areas alone, but we are infidels and bring more front page news if we are killed in asia and maybe thats wot they want to publiscise there feelings, 80 muslims were killed in one day, i should imagine that the families are pretty angry, lets say that 80 catholics were killed in northern ireland in one day, yep there would have been some real big bombs in london for that xmas....