Phuket Promised 'special Economic Zone Status'

alanmorison

PHUKET will become a special economic zone and the island will be given fairer funding from now on, a senior minister in the new national government said today.

Speaking at a specially called meeting on the island, Foreign Minister Kasit Pirom said that Phuket could expect to benefit when the new Government announced its policies on Monday and Tuesday.

Details at http://phuketwan.com/tourism/phuket-specia...e-budget-boost/

PHUKET will become a special economic zone and the island will be given fairer funding from now on, a senior minister in the new national government said today.

Speaking at a specially called meeting on the island, Foreign Minister Kasit Pirom said that Phuket could expect to benefit when the new Government announced its policies on Monday and Tuesday.

Details at http://phuketwan.com/tourism/phuket-specia...e-budget-boost/

Frankly I will only believe it when I see it has happened, as EXACTLY THE SAME piece of news is going around in every single year of the past decade I have lived here -- and so far nothing has ever progressed besides the hot air produced momentarily by the statement.

Only difference is, that currently the Democrats have the upper hand, so maybe some connections to Phuket are stronger than in the past. But this is a very slim hope indeed.

Agreed ^^

This was being said when I came here in the 90's, and seems to be repeated continually.. But as Dems are in, I guess they have the best chance at the moment.

I not that 'special economic zone' is not the same as 'tax free island' thats been mooted a few times, which I suspect is simply a bridge too far.