Trust Me

gburns57au

This is one word that has eluded me....

The word is "trust" as in ......."I dont trust you" or "have trust in me"

I was taught "Wai Jai" but it seems to get a poor response.....the dictionaries give me some long winded words.

What I would like to know is the commonly used word for it.....

ไว้ใจผม=Trust me, have faith in me

เชื่อใจผม=Trust me

เชื่อผม=Trust me

วางใจ=Have faith

Add a few trailing words such as หน่อย เถอะ ได้ เลย บ้าง to alter the meaning as you like.

When your boss assigns you a big job, you usually will use ไว้ใจผมได้เลย or something like that to say "Trust me to get the job done".

When your gf sees lipstick on your collar and says you've been cheating on her, you will say เชื่อใจผมหน่อย to mean "Put a little faith in me".

When you say you saw Elvis, you will add เชื่อผมเถอะ to say "Believe what I say".

เชื่อใจผม=Trust me

เชื่อผม=Trust me

วางใจ=Have faith

Add a few trailing words such as หน่อย เถอะ ได้ เลย บ้าง to alter the meaning as you like.

When your boss assigns you a big job, you usually will use ไว้ใจผมได้เลย or something like that to say "Trust me to get the job done".

When your gf sees lipstick on your collar and says you've been cheating on her, you will say เชื่อใจผมหน่อย to mean "Put a little faith in me".

When you say you saw Elvis, you will add เชื่อผมเถอะ to say "Believe what I say".

So Wai Jai is the right term then.....cant work out why it gets such a poor response :o

เชื่อใจผม=Trust me

เชื่อผม=Trust me

วางใจ=Have faith

So Wai Jai is the right term then.....cant work out why it gets such a poor response :o

2 reasons spring to mind-

1. dodgy tones, the 'wai' should be high and short, whilst the jai is middle tone and short, or perhaps-

2. a chequered past, maybe the scent of the perfume still lingers on the collar,

gb, even though the years have gone by, ( are you 57 or were you born in 1957?)

bannork.

เชื่อใจผม=Trust me

เชื่อผม=Trust me

วางใจ=Have faith

So Wai Jai is the right term then.....cant work out why it gets such a poor response :D

ต้องเป็นคนที่มีความเชื่อมั่นในตนเองสูงด้วย :o

I can see two reasons:

1. Pronunciation.

2. You don't appear trustworthy to Thais for some reason (Thais would rarely listen to me before I shaved off my beard and cut my hair to a more standard length, but ever since I did, I have received much better response to all my thoughts.. Generally speaking, tattoos, non-standard clothes, beard and long hair are all social markers that lower your credibility with the average Thai). If you have nervous twitches, stutter or have any other kind of "irregular" behaviour, Thais tend to be a bit sensitive to this as well.

Concur Meadish.

The standard pot-smoking "Hippie" attire/persona definitely does not engender trust with Thais.

Keep working on those tones, gburns57 :o

บุญมี

I work in the field of Court security and custodial services.....My hair is always short, I dont smoke dope and I dress conservatively....usually Polo Shirts and Jeans.

I was once asked by a thai if I would have my ex back.....I answered...."Mai Chai...Wai Jai mai dai"......he repeated it the Thais do when you say something not quite right.....

My tones are pretty good....something that comes fairly natural to me as a Muso

I've heard 'Chuea mai dai' (can't believe) also used in similar situations, but 'wai jai mai dai' should be plenty clear to most any Thai, in my experience, given the context you gave- even if your pronunciation isn't perfect... :D

But, I think 'Mai dai, ....' is a better response than 'Mai Chai,....' to the question that was asked of you, and maybe that put him off track a bit? Just a guess :o

I've heard 'Chuea mai dai' (can't believe) also used in similar situations, but 'wai jai mai dai' should be plenty clear to most any Thai, in my experience, given the context you gave- even if your pronunciation isn't perfect...  :D

But, I think 'Mai dai, ....' is a better response than 'Mai Chai,....' to the question that was asked of you, and maybe that put him off track a bit? Just a guess  :o

I was putting across, or trying to put across....Indeed not, trust not can.... he only repeated the last bit....

Since then I have used it on other occasions in regard to the same use of the word "trust" and still got blank stares....I first learned this from a letter from my ex...I have now used it in a letter to my current GF.....will see if she understands it....LOL

I've heard 'Chuea mai dai' (can't believe) also used in similar situations, but 'wai jai mai dai' should be plenty clear to most any Thai, in my experience, given the context you gave- even if your pronunciation isn't perfect...  :D

But, I think 'Mai dai, ....' is a better response than 'Mai Chai,....' to the question that was asked of you, and maybe that put him off track a bit? Just a guess  :o

I was putting across, or trying to put across....Indeed not, trust not can.... he only repeated the last bit....

Since then I have used it on other occasions in regard to the same use of the word "trust" and still got blank stares....I first learned this from a letter from my ex...I have now used it in a letter to my current GF.....will see if she understands it....LOL

Your reply should be clear enough to a Thai if indeed you got the tones and vowel length right. To make the same sentence even clearer, you could try:

"khao pen khon tee wai jai mai dai"

or maybe twist the whole sentence into

"khao mai chai khon jing jai"

But, I think 'Mai dai, ....' is a better response than 'Mai Chai,....' to the question that was asked of you, and maybe that put him off track a bit? Just a guess  :D

Actually "mai aow" might be even more to the point in this case. "I don't want her".

"Mai dai" indicates possibility, so in this context would be "I can't" or "it is impossible".

The basic meaning of "chai" and "mai chai" is "correct" and "incorrect", and they should ideally be used as replies to questions that end with the question tag "chai mai" or to protest another person's assumption.

To use them as "yes" and "no" in response to all types of questions is not 100% correct although most Thais will understand anyway.

Finally, gburns, in retrospect I realize my remarks about appearance might have sounded condescending or overly presumptious - I apologize if they came across that way.

Keep speaking! :D

But, I think 'Mai dai, ....' is a better response than 'Mai Chai,....' to the question that was asked of you, and maybe that put him off track a bit? Just a guess  :D

Your reply should be clear enough to a Thai if indeed you got the tones and vowel length right. To make the same sentence even clearer, you could try:

Actually "mai aow" might be even more to the point in this case. "I don't want her".

"Mai dai" indicates possibility, so in this context would be "I can't" or "it is impossible".

The basic meaning of "chai" and "mai chai" is "correct" and "incorrect", and they should ideally be used as replies to questions that end with the question tag "chai mai" or to protest another person's assumption.

To use them as "yes" and "no" in response to all types of questions is not 100% correct although most Thais will understand anyway.

Finally, gburns, in retrospect I realize my remarks about appearance might have sounded condescending or overly presumptious - I apologize if they came across that way.

Keep speaking! :o

No Problems.....Just didnt want people to think I was a stereotype backpacker....he11 I dont even own a backpack.... :D

Chai and Mai chai can also be used to produce a more emphatic yes or no reply without being rude or curt....although I do concur with your comments on replying to chai mai questions.....only trouble was he was speaking in English when he asked the question........ :D:D

Right...I wasn't inferring you were a pot-smoking long-haired Hippie either, gburns - just elaborating on the point Meadish was making re. "first appearances" and trust etc.

Right...I wasn't inferring you were a pot-smoking long-haired Hippie either, gburns - just elaborating on the point Meadish was making re. "first appearances" and trust etc.

No prolems there either.... :D

Concur Meadish.

The standard pot-smoking "Hippie" attire/persona definitely does not engender trust with Thais.

Keep working on those tones, gburns57 :o

บุญมี

I was once asked by a thai if I would have my ex back.....I answered...."Mai Chai...Wai Jai mai dai"......he repeated it the Thais do when you say something not quite right.....

Maybe he thought you meant you couldn't trust yourself!

Concur Meadish.

Keep working on those tones, gburns57 :D

บุญมี

Maybe he thought you meant you couldn't trust yourself!

Very possible....didnt think of it that way...I assumed that he would understand as we were talking about her....maybe I did oversimplify things a bit....Gosh and me being an ardent supporter of KISS. :o:D