New Government To Continue Free Water Project

JetsetBkk

New Government To Continue Free Water Project

PHUKET CITY: Consumers will be glad to know that a nationwide project that exempts most homeowners from having to pay water bills will continue under the new Government.

The exemption, part of a six-month economic stimulus package introduced by ex-prime minister Samak Sundaravej, started in October.

Sawong Sri-in, Director of the Phuket Municipality Water Supply Division, told the Gazette that dwellings registered under the name of an individual – and with less than fifty people listed on the house registration form (thabien baan) – will remain exempt from paying water bills provided they keep their consumption under 50 cubic meters per month.

The project will be continued following a decision by new prime minister Abhisit Vejjajiva, he said.

Dwellings registered under the names of juristic entities such as companies, partnerships and other organizations are not entitled to the free supply, he said.

Over the first two months of the project, about 70% of homes registered to individuals in the municipality kept their consumption below 50 cubic meters per month and qualified for the exemption, he said.

Thus far, the project has cost Phuket City Municipality 3 million baht – about 1.5 million baht per month – in lost proceeds, he added.

When asked if a free supply to consumers might discourage them from conserving water, Mr Sri-in said he thought that any shortages that result as the dry season progresses would be related to natural causes and not the policy, which is set to run until March.

The dry season in Phuket typically lasts about four or five months, with monthly average rainfall below 100 millimeters from December to March.

Continued here: http://www.phuketgazette.net/news/index.as...2&display=1

I wonder if he earned his position as "Director of the Phuket Municipality Water Supply Division", or did he buy it?

A few days ago it was mentioned in the ASTV news that in some areas the people let the water flow the whole day because it is free.

That's stupid ... it's only the water meter reading is less that a certain amount of cubic liters that there is no bill. If over about 1,000 baht's worth of water, then there is a water bill. I know cos we still get charged for water at one of our larger apartment buildings as we use more than 1,000 baht/month.

I do know that theres currently water problems in Kathu where I am (currently draining the swimming pool into the house tank !!) and Patong where my mate was missed pissed at no supply yesterday..

I mean wet seasons just ended, the reservoir looks full.. Yet they still cant seem to deliver it !!

• 1 month later...

item---3-- on VDO at http://thainews.prd.go.th/newsenglish/prev...php?news_id=966

or

Phuket Irrigation confirms there is sufficient water.

The Bangwad Dam which is the main water source to feed the resort island of Phuket is currently holding 4.1 million cubic metres, accounting for 56% of the reservoir’s 7.3 million cubic metres. Director of Phuket Irrigation, Pinyo Hunpadungrat, said the reservoir has to feed 1.5 million cubic metres per month to the provincial water works factory and the Office of Phuket City Water supply unit. That means with no rainfalls, the office can distribute the water until mid May. He reaffirms that the Irrigation office had planned with the two offices for water management to ensure that it is sufficient until the next rainy season in May. Mr. Pinyo also reports about the water amount at another reservoir located on the northern side of the island, saying that it currently contains 2 million cubic metres, accounting for 28% of its carrying capacity which is 7.2 million cubic metres. It distributes raw water to the plant in Thalang at 100,000 cubic metres per month. This is also sufficient for all year.

Andaman News NBT TV (VHF dial) + Radio Thailand FM90.5 at 8.30am & perhaps repeats on Phuket Cable TV channel 1 at 7pm & 1am, broadcast to Phang Nga, Krabi & Phuket provinces & maybe Mazz Radio FM108 at 7pm in Phuket, Tuesday 17 February 2009 & http://thainews.prd.go.th/newsenglish/ & www.YouTube.com/AndamanNews Send comments to [email protected]