Bird - Through My Kitchen Window

Kan Win

large.jpg

OLYMPUS IMAGING CORP. E-3

1/60s f/5.1 at 215.0mm iso100

Lens Zuiko Digital 70-300mm, hand held.

Photo taken through my kitchen window in Kan.

Your commenst please :o

Yours truly

Kan Win :D

Goshawk, which Pond Heron :o

haha.. that is the winter paddy bird question..! tough split, but i'll say his is Chinese.. u agree?

Actually, I cannot access your photo, only a "this photo is currently unavailable" message.

3140291017_ebf166e10e_m.jpg

oops! i forgot to enable 'viewing'. Corrected now..

fairly sure mine is Chinese, shot in Chiangmai

Edited by Goshawk

Is the bird supposed to look so greenish or is it unadjusted white balance?

Also it looks like it's slightly out of focus if not blurred by camera shake. At 215mm focal length (430mm when converted to 35mm?) you definitely need shutter speed much faster than 1/60.

Edited by Nordlys

Out in the open. 1 metre off the ground, occasionally dropping to the ground to take large insects (crickets??). Allowed me to get to within 10 metres and didn't fly away for a few minutes. Close to the campsite next to the HQ (Kaeng Seua Ten) at Mae Yom NP.

Arrgghhh. Forget it in Vietnam, birds here have a very low flight threshold, in all likelihood because of all the hunting. That is why my wife and I do a lot of birding in Thailand; pretty much the same birds but much easier to see.

Nice photos, Goshawk.

Can't quite catch the eye patch of Banded Bay Cuckoo on your photo but the angle is inconclusive. I wasn't there at the time. :o

Where's Mae Hia anyway? I'll look it up. I'm always up for new birding spots.

first of all.. apologies to Kan Win for hiijacking his thread.. hope u don't mind. The great title of your thread could be the start of a showcase of other members bird pics..??

Can't quite catch the eye patch of Banded Bay Cuckoo on your photo but the angle is inconclusive. I wasn't there at the time. :D

tut tut.. no satisfying some people.. :D

bb2.jpg

conclusive enough..? :D

here's another regular you might catch around Mae Hia..

av.jpg:o

sorry for the grain, they are heavily cropped

Ah yes, unmistakeable eye patch there. Is it from the same series of photos? I like this one best, certainly in terms of showing up the diagnostic markers.

The lower photo, hmm, don't think I've ever encountered this species. I'll have to cheat and get the book out. :o Ok I know it now. It's the bird that looks like a strawberry, a red avadavat. It has a really weird distribution. I have seen it but only once. A flock next to the stream in Khao Chamao Khao Wong NP in Rayong! Which is a long way from Mae Hia which I didn't find on the map. I'll google it now. Ah, behind Chiang Mai airport. I had it figured to be up near the Burmese border. Totally wrong.

Kan Win. I do like your photo. Pond herons are big enough, colourful enough, numerous enough and not too shy as to allow fantastic photos. I recommend you take exactly the same photo in early March when the same bird will be sporting its beautiful breeding plumage. But don't wait much longer than that because it will migrate to China to breed.

Ah yes, unmistakeable eye patch there. Is it from the same series of photos? I like this one best, certainly in terms of showing up the diagnostic markers.

same day..

ok, here's a challenge for you briggsy (or hanno or anyone).. taken a few weeks ago near the summit of Doi Pui

mm.jpg

once again, apologies Kan Win.. we seem to taking over.. :o. i do like your pic too, maybe just a little out of focus though but it certainly is good.

I seem to see a crown stripe on your bird, Goshawk? I am totally rubbish at Phylloscopus but I'd guess a Blyths's Leaf Warbler?

there is indeed a crown stripe.. well spotted !

I purposefully chose this side profile in an attempt to confuse or catch you out.. :D .

i failed :D

you're spot on :o

Is the bird supposed to look so greenish or is it unadjusted white balance?

Also it looks like it's slightly out of focus if not blurred by camera shake. At 215mm focal length (430mm when converted to 35mm?) you definitely need shutter speed much faster than 1/60.

Hi "Nordlys'",

Yes you are correct. The Greenish was over done, my bad and the slightly out of focus was just as you mentioned, much too slow. :D

Thank you and will work on that camera shake.

once again, apologies Kan Win.. we seem to taking over.. :D i do like your pic too, maybe just a little out of focus though but it certainly is good.

Hi All,

Thank you for your comments and please keep on posting your "Bird" photos. No probs with a little "Hi-Jack-ing" :o

Happy New Year 2009 :D

Yours truly,

Kan Win :D