Home Builders/house Builders Isaan - A Success Story

InSiSongkram

I`ve seen this topic come up a lot lately and it always seems to generate a lot of interest so I thought I would share a few photos of my new house that has just been completed with a few details as it is always interesting to read others stories and gather knowledge.

In the bigger Cities like Bangkok, Pattaya etc I think it is easier to find a reliable quality contractor who can do the work for you and deliver a good home but when you are looking to build a new house in Isaan it is nerve wracking experience (well it was for me) as there are not as many choices up here as far as builders go and you have to tread carefully.

Myself and my wife bought a small plot of land about a year ago which suited us as the location was good near to her family about 45 mins from Nakhon Phanom. We went about the process of screening some contractors and looking at examples of houses that they had completed recently, most of them for falangs. We short listed a couple and then made our decision putting our designs forward to them to get their views. I did most of the design myself as I knew what I wanted such as open plan kitchen, hot water in all rooms, walk in shower and basically a better finish than some of the properties we have seen over the years here. We decided to make it a 2 Bedroom instead of 3 and make the rooms bigger as we don't have a large family. This turned out to be probably the best move of all as the rooms really are huge with plenty of space and lots of light.

It took them about 5 months to build the home but we are very happy with what they have done and it has gone beyond our expectations in terms of quality and finishing's (which were upgraded from original specs). There were a few minor teething problems along the way but I think that comes with any new build and were always rectified. Here are a few images picked at random of the house just before completion and the carpentry work. Any questions feel free to ask or send me a message.

Thanks.

post-70500-1230449403_thumb.jpg

post-70500-1230449485_thumb.jpg

post-70500-1230449535_thumb.jpg

post-70500-1230449594_thumb.jpg

post-70500-1230449663_thumb.jpg

post-70500-1230449720_thumb.jpg

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks very good finish mate,,,,,,,allthough we live in the UK my wife has land and property in Ban Pak which is also near to Nakhon Phanom area and we are gonna want a good builder to build us a new bungalow on her land in the future ,so if you could give us his mobile number it would be handy,,,,,,,,as I also have a friend that has built from the ground up and not had such a good experience.

Cheers all the best I wish you many happy years there ,,,,,allthough it would be too grand a place for us , as we will probably only live in Thai 2 or 3 months in the UK winter max.

Off the top of my head I can`t remember the size exactly will let you know when I can find the drawings. The contract cost was 1.76 Baht then we did an upgrade of 200K with best materials for bathrooms and kitchen to have the finish we wanted.

Very nice house. CONGRATULATION.

Ok a few questions, why doesnt the roof cover the first floor balcony, why only guttering on the front of the house, and no Mossie nets on the windows?no fixed fans or AC? and the ground looks very rough, did it have at least 1 rainy season on it and some baking hot sun on it for a few months or was there a house there before? Just a few questions to help other prospective home builders.

Nice place, Cheers, Lickey..

Ok a few questions, why doesnt the roof cover the first floor balcony, why only guttering on the front of the house, and no Mossie nets on the windows?no fixed fans or AC? and the ground looks very rough, did it have at least 1 rainy season on it and some baking hot sun on it for a few months or was there a house there before? Just a few questions to help other prospective home builders.

Come on Lickey, the guttering is BECAUSE the roof don't cover the upper deck. Guttering all around for what?

And the house isn't even finished yet... there's a ladder on the floor in one pic so I would guess that the screens, fans and the like are not even bought yet.

It's NEW so of course it hasn't had monsoon rain or April heat yet... do the math!

What difference does having a 'house there before' make?

My take, it looks OK but don't like that exposed pvc pipework and why is there an external electrical conduit running up from that small breaker box? I think I know that answer.

Come on Lickey, the guttering is BECAUSE the roof don't cover the upper deck. Guttering all around for what?

And the house isn't even finished yet... there's a ladder on the floor in one pic so I would guess that the screens, fans and the like are not even bought yet.

It's NEW so of course it hasn't had monsoon rain or April heat yet... do the math!

My take, it looks OK but don't like that exposed pvc pipework and why is there an external electrical conduit running up from that small breaker box? I think I know that answer.

Guttering all round? a good idea, it stops the exces water making rivers in the garden, and if its colected in the big urns, its good for drinking and watering the garden,

Having a house their previously would mean that the ground is settled and of good foundation, if its new ground, and hasnt had a rainy season on it, it will be prone to subsidence ect,

If what you mean by "math" mathmatics, yes, i have done plenty of mathmatics on our house,and all is ok by following the local rules, ie ground settlement.

The roof doesn`t cover all of the first floor balcony just over half of it that`s how we wanted it same as the guttering we only did it on the right side of the house to keep the rain off the neighbours tin roof and in places where needed, I personally think it looks really ugly from the outside to look at. Mosquito nets will come after as will AC`s lot of finishing jobs to be done. There was a house on the land until we knocked it down, cleared and left it untouched for just under a year.

If you mean the blue pvc pipes outside they will be covered when the surrounding wall is made which we are getting quotes on now, if you mean the ones under the kitchen sink the units still have to be installed there, I`m no electrician so not sure what the issue is with the breaker box what is the answer?

Edited by InSiSongkram

Nice house, looks like they did a great job on it.

I'm looking at building in Mukdahan most likely starting March or April.

Do you have the builders details?

Also, where did you find the majority of your fit out items?

Thanks Craig

Craig, I have built in Mukdahan and good reliable builders ae few and far between, the best contactors are in demand all the time and you will have to wait until they can fit you in! We bought all our own fit out items in Ubon and Khon Kaen. It took a year to build because we were in no hurry and monitored the build throughout. There are still ongoing upgrades that I am doing myself but the house is in good shape.

I wish you all the best for your build and there is plenty of advice out there when you come up against problems (which you will :o )

Insi- The new house in Nakhon Phanom looks great glad you didn't go for wooden window frames.. once you're all settled in and cosy the jingjoks,ants,termites,moths etc etc will start decorating your nice shiny house for you! :D

All the best for 2009

post-62455-1230861534_thumb.jpg

post-62455-1230861626_thumb.jpg

post-62455-1230861650_thumb.jpg

Thanks Craig

Craig, I have built in Mukdahan and good reliable builders ae few and far between, the best contactors are in demand all the time and you will have to wait until they can fit you in! We bought all our own fit out items in Ubon and Khon Kaen. It took a year to build because we were in no hurry and monitored the build throughout. There are still ongoing upgrades that I am doing myself but the house is in good shape.

I wish you all the best for your build and there is plenty of advice out there when you come up against problems (which you will wink.gif )

Insi- The new house in Nakhon Phanom looks great glad you didn't go for wooden window frames.. once you're all settled in and cosy the jingjoks,ants,termites,moths etc etc will start decorating your nice shiny house for you! tongue.gif

All the best for 2009

Yes I tried to keep the wood to a minimum as I`ve seen the destruction that is caused from the above, all windows are aluminium and sealed. I bought most of the interior items from Homemart in Sakhon Nakhon after shopping around I found they had the best quality and choice by far over anyone else.

livingthedream - Nice looking house you got there congrats I like Mukdahan nice little place to visit.

Thanks Craig

I wish you all the best for your build and there is plenty of advice out there when you come up against problems (which you will wink.gif )

Insi- The new house in Nakhon Phanom looks great glad you didn't go for wooden window frames.. once you're all settled in and cosy the jingjoks,ants,termites,moths etc etc will start decorating your nice shiny house for you! tongue.gif

All the best for 2009

Yes I tried to keep the wood to a minimum as I`ve seen the destruction that is caused from the above, all windows are aluminium and sealed. I bought most of the interior items from Homemart in Sakhon Nakhon after shopping around I found they had the best quality and choice by far over anyone else.

livingthedream - Nice looking house you got there congrats I like Mukdahan nice little place to visit.

Thanks Livingthedream. I'm sure there will be issues, but not overly concerned as long as I get through pass all of them.

Hi InSiSongkram, so was your builder local. Can you let me have any details about them please.

Craig

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Interesting views on the use of wooden windows. Many of the houses here in Hua Hin have wooden window frames and there are some over 10 years old that are untouched by insects. Isn't it just a case of getting the wood properly treated and having annual pest extermination done?

Word of warning on the aluminium type windows and doors, depending on the strength and quality of the metal. I'm in the security business and if they are not a perfect fit for the opening, (do they rattle?), then thieves love them, they bend back the lip and just lift them out, job done in under a minute.

Very nice house,

I am hoping to build something similar but in Nakhon Phanom city itself.

We have purchased the land already, just waiting for the British pound to recover some of its value before starting. Ye, I know I maybe in for a long wait, but no hurry on my part.

Hope you are happy in your new house.

Best Regards

Mr Conrad

Interesting views on the use of wooden windows. Many of the houses here in Hua Hin have wooden window frames and there are some over 10 years old that are untouched by insects. Isn't it just a case of getting the wood properly treated and having annual pest extermination done?

Word of warning on the aluminium type windows and doors, depending on the strength and quality of the metal. I'm in the security business and if they are not a perfect fit for the opening, (do they rattle?), then thieves love them, they bend back the lip and just lift them out, job done in under a minute.

I will second that, got burgled in my apartment last year, the landlord said the aluminium doors were high security. I came home and the thieves had literally peeled one door back without even the need to bust the lock.........gutted :o

Yes good point and a good tip for anyone fitting such windows, I was actually very aware of this and tested it myself from the outside with a screwdriver to see how easy it would be to get them off the "runners" some are easier than others, so what I did was fit mini drop bolt locks to the bottom of the inside of each window. I will take a picture later as it makes them a lot stronger with no movement or rattle now.

• 4 weeks later...
Very nice house,

I am hoping to build something similar but in Nakhon Phanom city itself.

We have purchased the land already, just waiting for the British pound to recover some of its value before starting. Ye, I know I maybe in for a long wait, but no hurry on my part.

Hope you are happy in your new house.

Best Regards

Mr Conrad

Hi Mr Conrad, how are you? Where about in NP city did you buy, what size and if you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay?

Cheers

Brigante7

Drummachine PM sent with the info you asked for. Thanks Texpat and PaddyThai for the kind words still need to finished the landscaping and exterior wall plus other bits and pieces.

Does anyone have any good photos of exterior walls that were built with security in mind and not so easy to scale that don`t look like something an embassy would use?

I`m thinking lowish concrete wall with high iron railings?

Cheers.