Home Builders/house Builders Isaan - A Success Story

InSiSongkram

We want to build a house in Sawat, Loeng Nok Tha, Yasothon, Thailand.

Looking for recommendations for a quality homebuilder

I can recommend our building team.

And only 20km from Loeng Nok Tha in a place called Nikhom Kham Soi.

Almost complete now.Contact me if interested or come and have a look at our place.

post-61813-1252236163_thumb.jpg

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Almost complete now.Contact me if interested or come and have a look at our place.

BloodyBan nice house how about a few details, Cost? size? any more pictures you could show.

BloodyBan nice house how about a few details, Cost? size? any more pictures you could show.

Cost at a guest around 2.5M that includes the house,car-park and sala.Also includes the wood/soffit panels that all had to be re-placed at an extra cost of over 100'000B.The flooring is all Granite and marble over 250 sq metres and the stone cladding we got from SaraBuri at 700B a ton.

At present having sandwash installed around the house and the garden work starts next week.

The pictures shown are a few weeks old,the recent pics(not available on this laptop) show the house in a much better light-i'll post them when i get a chance.

post-61813-1252241020_thumb.jpg

post-61813-1252241094_thumb.jpg

post-61813-1252241141_thumb.jpg

post-61813-1252241319_thumb.jpg

post-61813-1252241368_thumb.jpg

Cost at a guest around 2.5M that includes the house,car-park and sala.Also includes the wood/soffit panels that all had to be re-placed at an extra cost of over 100'000B.The flooring is all Granite and marble over 250 sq metres and the stone cladding we got from SaraBuri at 700B a ton.

At present having sandwash installed around the house and the garden work starts next week.

The pictures shown are a few weeks old,the recent pics(not available on this laptop) show the house in a much better light-i'll post them when i get a chance.

2.5m!!!

Geezus my wife (soon to be ex) really had me over.

My place ended up being around 2m and it's about 10% as good as yours.

BloodyBan

Very nice looking house mate.

As for my reply to Insi, I have some local village guys building for me. I am paying them as we go along.

Everytime they've asked for money they have got it. A price was agreed from the start, so we both know

were we stand. It just seems to have slowed down. They seem happy enough whilst working.

Maybe it's me, I'm already an impatient bastard. :) Anyway,I will post my photos so anyone can ask or rip

me to bits.

BloodyBan

Very nice looking house mate.

As for my reply to Insi, I have some local village guys building for me. I am paying them as we go along.

Everytime they've asked for money they have got it. A price was agreed from the start, so we both know

were we stand. It just seems to have slowed down. They seem happy enough whilst working.

Maybe it's me, I'm already an impatient bastard. :) Anyway,I will post my photos so anyone can ask or rip

me to bits.

It could be that they are happy to get the cash spread out over a longer time as you pay them.If they work hard and fast you still pay the same cash to them but they get it sooner and in a greater amount in a shorter time.Remember many rural Thai's cannot save but will spend what they get quickly.They may "know themself"as my wife would say.So the longer it takes to work the longer they have money,even if it would still be the same amount in the end.

It could be that they are happy to get the cash spread out over a longer time as you pay them.If they work hard and fast you still pay the same cash to them but they get it sooner and in a greater amount in a shorter time.Remember many rural Thai's cannot save but will spend what they get quickly.They may "know themself"as my wife would say.So the longer it takes to work the longer they have money,even if it would still be the same amount in the end.

Yeah you may have a point there. The wife went as far as saying that they are stretching it out to get the cold drinks.

Maybe a combination of both. I'm due to go down there this morning.

It looks like I have some decent guys working for me. They did slow down a little but also gave some good ideas on what I needed.

The original roofer didn't really do a good job. The new guys have taken care of that with a lot box section steel.

Also I have a little moan about the floor tiles I have (cotto), a lot of them are different sizes. A few mm here and there.

I`ve seen this topic come up a lot lately and it always seems to generate a lot of interest so I thought I would share a few photos of my new house that has just been completed with a few details as it is always interesting to read others stories and gather knowledge.

In the bigger Cities like Bangkok, Pattaya etc I think it is easier to find a reliable quality contractor who can do the work for you and deliver a good home but when you are looking to build a new house in Isaan it is nerve wracking experience (well it was for me) as there are not as many choices up here as far as builders go and you have to tread carefully.

Myself and my wife bought a small plot of land about a year ago which suited us as the location was good near to her family about 45 mins from Nakhon Phanom. We went about the process of screening some contractors and looking at examples of houses that they had completed recently, most of them for falangs. We short listed a couple and then made our decision putting our designs forward to them to get their views. I did most of the design myself as I knew what I wanted such as open plan kitchen, hot water in all rooms, walk in shower and basically a better finish than some of the properties we have seen over the years here. We decided to make it a 2 Bedroom instead of 3 and make the rooms bigger as we don't have a large family. This turned out to be probably the best move of all as the rooms really are huge with plenty of space and lots of light.

It took them about 5 months to build the home but we are very happy with what they have done and it has gone beyond our expectations in terms of quality and finishing's (which were upgraded from original specs). There were a few minor teething problems along the way but I think that comes with any new build and were always rectified. Here are a few images picked at random of the house just before completion and the carpentry work. Any questions feel free to ask or send me a message.

Thanks.

The house looks fantastic. The wife and I were thinking about building a house on our return to Thailand but I'm not sure as there are so many unknowns. I was just wondering about a few of the basics;

- How did you go about getting utility services, water, electricity and telephone?

- What was the wall construction, is it similar to the UK with block and brick or did you use brick and timber frame with plaster board backed with isulation board?

- Do you have a combi boiler for the hot water system?

Answers to your questions below:

The house looks fantastic. The wife and I were thinking about building a house on our return to Thailand but I'm not sure as there are so many unknowns. I was just wondering about a few of the basics;

- How did you go about getting utility services, water, electricity and telephone? This will depend on how far away you are from main roads and the utilities we chose our plot so that all the above were available.

- What was the wall construction, is it similar to the UK with block and brick or did you use brick and timber frame with plaster board backed with insulation board? Block and brick avoided timber to avoid termites and other issues.

- Do you have a combi boiler for the hot water system? Yes have a good hot water boiler and water pump which heats kitchen and all bathrooms which is great in winter when the temp drops.

Good luck where are you looking to build in Thailand?

- How did you go about getting utility services, water, electricity and telephone? This will depend on how far away you are from main roads and the utilities we chose our plot so that all the above were available.

- What was the wall construction, is it similar to the UK with block and brick or did you use brick and timber frame with plaster board backed with insulation board? Block and brick avoided timber to avoid termites and other issues.

- Do you have a combi boiler for the hot water system? Yes have a good hot water boiler and water pump which heats kitchen and all bathrooms which is great in winter when the temp drops.

We were thinking about Rayong area, along the coast, or maybe towards Pattaya. Not sure if we are going to buy somewhere on an project initially and then look for some land and build. I am interested in the contruction methods, materials and services to establish if I could you a UK architect, I know a few, to design the house. Or would it be better to get a Thai architect or UK expat architect, who has a greater appriciation of building in Thailand. What building regulations or standards did you have to follow or did your builder interpret your requirements within the laws?

We were thinking about Rayong area, along the coast, or maybe towards Pattaya. Not sure if we are going to buy somewhere on an project initially and then look for some land and build. I am interested in the contruction methods, materials and services to establish if I could you a UK architect, I know a few, to design the house. Or would it be better to get a Thai architect or UK expat architect, who has a greater appriciation of building in Thailand. What building regulations or standards did you have to follow or did your builder interpret your requirements within the laws?

I've got 1.7 rai overlooking Bang Saray Bay with building permit. Keeping it for the kids education fund now.

These guys were great, did a first class job on the design. Never built it, got this place in Issan instead. Money was getting to tight to build on the eastern seaboard at the time.

http://www.thai-land-house.com/

I've got 1.7 rai overlooking Bang Saray Bay with building permit. Keeping it for the kids education fund now.

These guys were great, did a first class job on the design. Never built it, got this place in Issan instead. Money was getting to tight to build on the eastern seaboard at the time.

Would the land appriciate in value like in the UK? Just seems like they have so much available Thailand that supply would keep the price down, unlikely the UK where everyone fights over metre. Did you have to submit drawings like a UK planning application to get your building permit.

Thanks for the link, nice looking designs, I'll drop them an email.

Your best bet is to take a look on www.coolthaihouse.com there you will find answers to all of your questions and to many you haven't asked yet.

Thanks 'sometimewoodworker' for the link, I'll have a good read. I know I'm asking the same old questions everyone asks when they first start to think about moving to Thailand :) The help and patience of you and others if very much appriciated. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Here are some more recent photos with the wall that has just been done before the iron has been fitted that is on order for the 2 gates and wall sections. I wasn`t too sure of the style I wanted for the wall so went for the "simple" look to match the house exterior design and I`m happy with the way it`s turned out.

post-70500-1254710947_thumb.jpg

post-70500-1254711034_thumb.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

The problem with making the wall higher is that when your on the inside garden and sitting down it will restrict what you can see and give more of an enclosed atmosphere which I didn`t really want. For security reasons I don`t think it makes much difference if someone wants to scale a wall like that they will and a little higher wont stop them that`s why we took other precautions as much as possible.

I`ll post some more pics when all the iron work is done.

• 5 months later...
Photo of the mini locks fitted making the windows so much stronger and rattle free. I actually had a problem finding locks so small and in the end got these at Tesco Lotus I think 20 Baht each.

Hey just looking at your pics very nice! We are wanting to build in my village kinda near kalasin and was wondering if you still have the builders number and was the cost 1.76million baht?? or did i read it wrong! Thank you!

Nice house, looks like they did a great job on it.

I'm looking at building in Mukdahan most likely starting March or April.

Do you have the builders details?

Also, where did you find the majority of your fit out items?

Thanks Craig

Craig, I have built in Mukdahan and good reliable builders ae few and far between, the best contactors are in demand all the time and you will have to wait until they can fit you in! We bought all our own fit out items in Ubon and Khon Kaen. It took a year to build because we were in no hurry and monitored the build throughout. There are still ongoing upgrades that I am doing myself but the house is in good shape.

I wish you all the best for your build and there is plenty of advice out there when you come up against problems (which you will :) )

Insi- The new house in Nakhon Phanom looks great glad you didn't go for wooden window frames.. once you're all settled in and cosy the jingjoks,ants,termites,moths etc etc will start decorating your nice shiny house for you! :D

All the best for 2009

Nice house

Brian

Below is a 3-bedroom, 3-bath house built for 800,000. It's actually done now but I don't have a pic. It has a tile roof, raised off the ground about 1 meter, tiled interior, wood doors and windows (apparently through a hush-hush connection to the local forestry cops), and the price included a 3 meter high wall around the lot. Nothing seems broken so far, (I haven't been there much though), and what was having problems was fixed promptly by the builder, suprisingly. Only real 'farang' things I did was demand insulation in the roof, because of what I read here. Now my only goal is to get the lot shaded to further cool it down. Anyway, not sure if it was a good deal or not, kind've given up hope with that type of thing in isaan. :)

deletesure-29.jpg

• 2 months later...
<br>
Photo of the mini locks fitted making the windows so much stronger and rattle free. I actually had a problem finding locks so small and in the end got these at Tesco Lotus I think 20 Baht each.
<br><br><br>Hey just looking at your pics very nice! We are wanting to build in my village kinda near kalasin and was wondering if you still have the builders number and was the cost 1.76million baht?? or did i read it wrong! Thank you!<br>

No you didn`t read it wrong that is the correct price sorry for the late reply send me a private message. Here is a more recent photo with the wall in place before the iron was put on and a bit more maturity.

post-70500-069915500 1278125282_thumb.jp

Edited by InSiSongkram

You have a very nice house there, for an incredible price!

Did you do the communication with the Builders & Contractors yourself?

Although it was a few years ago now, I found that, the most frustrating hurdle (Yes, I know I should speak more Thai)

Congrats

You have a very nice house there, for an incredible price!

Did you do the communication with the Builders & Contractors yourself?

Although it was a few years ago now, I found that, the most frustrating hurdle (Yes, I know I should speak more Thai)

Congrats

Cheers Dave that price was actually when steel, cement and other materials we`re high at the time, if I had done it a year later I could of possibly got it a little cheaper but compared with what that buys you in other parts of Thailand and back in Europe its peanuts. They have a couple of good English speakers in the company it was no issue for me plus I`m in the industry myself so I knew what I wanted and laid it all out clearly from the off.

Edited by InSiSongkram

• 3 months later...

Heres a house we had built this year between March and August. It's our country home in the small village my wife grew up. It is really out in "Nakhon Nowhere," in northern Surin province. Still it has Internet via Ipstar. We live in Pattaya. It's an affordable house for most people who want some western amenities, we guess.

post-5472-099361600 1286106531_thumb.jpg

post-5472-018462500 1286106634_thumb.jpg

post-5472-068494400 1286106783_thumb.jpg

post-5472-081013900 1286106963_thumb.jpg

post-5472-095573400 1286107046_thumb.jpg

post-5472-017702900 1286107113_thumb.jpg

post-5472-056631600 1286107241_thumb.jpg

post-5472-082693000 1286107342_thumb.jpg

post-5472-062012000 1286107507_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dario

• 2 months later...

Heres a house we had built this year between March and August. It's our country home in the small village my wife grew up. It is really out in "Nakhon Nowhere," in northern Surin province. Still it has Internet via Ipstar. We live in Pattaya. It's an affordable house for most people who want some western amenities, we guess.

hi,

nice house,how much did that set you back?

thanks.

excellent finishing.

What I don't understand is the handkerchief size of land many houses are built on.

During our building time we lived in a moo baan where you could see and hear all the noises and activities of 6 neighbors :whistling:

Our house sits on 1 rai of land. I consider 1/4 of rai to be minimum to build house on.

Below is a 3-bedroom, 3-bath house built for 800,000. It's actually done now but I don't have a pic. It has a tile roof, raised off the ground about 1 meter, tiled interior, wood doors and windows (apparently through a hush-hush connection to the local forestry cops), and the price included a 3 meter high wall around the lot. Nothing seems broken so far, (I haven't been there much though), and what was having problems was fixed promptly by the builder, suprisingly. Only real 'farang' things I did was demand insulation in the roof, because of what I read here. Now my only goal is to get the lot shaded to further cool it down. Anyway, not sure if it was a good deal or not, kind've given up hope with that type of thing in isaan. :)

deletesure-29.jpg

hi svenn,

first of all i would like to congratulate you on your house,

i am looking at building a house similar to the one you built.

could you please PM as i have a few questions.

regards;

benfica.

• 3 weeks later...

benfica the build cost 2 years ago was 1.76M but I have spent a lot more on it now with upgrades (interior & wall) that were not in the contract that I wanted to do myself. Here is the final stage of the exterior with the iron in place for which we chose thicker than usual Thai style railings that look a little different to the norm and will hopefully last longer.

post-70500-0-01173300-1294282978_thumb.j