More Chiang Mai Transport News

sabaijai

OTP planning for Chiangmai transportation hub: 176 billion baht price tag - translated and summarized by Wisarut Bholsithi from Transport Journal, December 16-31, 2004

OTP is planning for a Chiangmai transportation hub after receiving the request from Premier Thaksin to support the BIMSTEC economic zone (Bangladesh, India, Myanma, Thailand, China--southwestern provinces), The project has the price tag of 176 billion baht. The selected projects are:

1) Chiangmai LRT - a study on the viable routes done by Chiangmai University to be delivered to OTP. LRT is the only option for an old city like Chiangmai.

2) Airport Railway (or Airport LRT) connecting Chaingmai International Airport with downtown Chiangmai--either old Chaignmai or New Chiangmai Airport.

3) Reorganization of Chiangmai Red minibuses to function as feeder lines

4) New motorways linking Chaingmai with other northern cities such as Mae Hongson, Chiang Rai, Lamphun, Lampang, Phrae, Nan, Phayao

5) Double tracking of Chaingmai-Lamphun as both suburban lines as well as support for cargo

6) Realization of Denchai-Chiang Rai route with the extension to Chiang Khong Port

Short-term solutions are to construct flyovers and tunnels around Chaingmai to be done in 2006 with a price tag of 1 billion baht. Medium-term solutions are to construct road networks with a price tag of 40 billion baht from 2007 to 2013.

The long term is to implement Chiang Mai LRT network, double tracking of Chiangmai-Lamphun, the new Denchai-Chiang Rai railway and ultimately, the second Chiangmai International Airport [shinawatra International Airport?]. This has to be done from 2014 to 2024.

http://www.2bangkok.com/2bangkok/Scams/Sapphire.shtml#fl

[Ajarn, feel free to fix the link ... :o ]

Can't figure out why it is that the page URLs from that website, when I paste them here, always lead to a different page than the URL where I found them. Any clues?  :D

In that particular instance, my guess was you were looking at a cached page, and the website had just recently updated their page... It was on Saturday, the day the new page is usually put up. I just went to the top of the list of back issues, and stumbled my way to it.

Does that make sense? :o