Home Theaters

bonobo

I bought a huge HD Samsung plasma a few months back but have not yet gotten a decent home theater to go with it.  I noticed that there were quite a few sales going on this week, so I went to take a look.  I was taken by both the Samsung and Philips systems which offer  wireless rear speakers, both sound good, and both offer an iPod dock. Both run a bout 17,000 baht. But then I noticed a plethora of Thai-made systems running anywhere from 2,900 baht to about 12,000 baht. These were names I haven't heard of before (like Sherman). One system was on clearance from 10,900 to 2,900 baht.

Does anyone have any opinions, favorable or not, of the local Thai systems?  I would really appeciate some input.

If you want to take full advantage of the HD screen (full HD?) i would recommend something with blue ray / dvd player that has upconversion of DVD's to HD format. Will cost bit more money but Panasonic has new models coming up shortly with reasonable price. Will improve DVD picture quality IMO.

Sony has new models also but being sony they are picky what they play. Coupled with mid range AV receiver and speakers will get you the sound. Not seen any packages with blue ray yet but sure they are out there soon. If you want to keep the costs low, then maybe package system coupled with blue ray once their prices starts to come down and movies are available at MBK.

I bought a huge HD Samsung plasma a few months back but have not yet gotten a decent home theater to go with it. I noticed that there were quite a few sales going on this week, so I went to take a look. I was taken by both the Samsung and Philips systems which offer wireless rear speakers, both sound good, and both offer an iPod dock. Both run a bout 17,000 baht. But then I noticed a plethora of Thai-made systems running anywhere from 2,900 baht to about 12,000 baht. These were names I haven't heard of before (like Sherman). One system was on clearance from 10,900 to 2,900 baht.

Does anyone have any opinions, favorable or not, of the local Thai systems? I would really appeciate some input.

:D Try this uk sites for comparisons of Blue ray. I know they are UK sites but these models are or should be available in LOS outlets.

www.digitechelectronics.com

Also many other comparison sites for home theatre and blue ray sites on www.google-thailand.com

Good luck :o

Edited by khundon

I bought a huge HD Samsung plasma a few months back but have not yet gotten a decent home theater to go with it. I noticed that there were quite a few sales going on this week, so I went to take a look. I was taken by both the Samsung and Philips systems which offer wireless rear speakers, both sound good, and both offer an iPod dock. Both run a bout 17,000 baht. But then I noticed a plethora of Thai-made systems running anywhere from 2,900 baht to about 12,000 baht. These were names I haven't heard of before (like Sherman). One system was on clearance from 10,900 to 2,900 baht.

Does anyone have any opinions, favorable or not, of the local Thai systems? I would really appeciate some input.

:D Try this uk sites for comparisons of Blue ray. I know they are UK sites but these models are or should be available in LOS outlets.

www.digitechelectronics.com

Also many other comparison sites for home theatre and blue ray sites on www.google-thailand.com

Good luck :o

:D Sorry I meant to add I bought a Lg 42 7000 Lcd tv and a Sony BDPS550 Profile2 Bluray player and WOW they are both fantastic for full 1080p and when playing Bluray cd.

My new Home cinema system is Lg HT953tv

Edited by khundon

Consider if you want a Mercedes or an Austin Mini .... each has it's price and each has it sound capabilities.

Obviously the OP requested info about a home theater (ie a sound system). Don't really understand the responses about Blue Ray players or upconverting DVD players.

Edited by sniffdog

i bought a sherman system for 10000thb and am not very impressed with it. couple of big floorstand speakers, a centre and two bookshelf rears plus an amp. as soon as you play music or movies at higher volumes, you get horrible bass distortion. it doesnt have an optical input to the amp, so i have to use normal cables for each channel from DVD player to amp and i am yet to get the 5.1 soundtracks to play properly (havent had time to mess about with it much though due to being offshore or drunk in pubs). I would recommend paying the extra to get a decent brand and an AV receiver setup rather than just an amp so you can run HDMI from DVD player to receiver and receiver to TV. From the reviews i have seen, Onkyo seems to be the best value for money with great quaility and features.

Consider if you want a Mercedes or an Austin Mini .... each has it's price and each has it sound capabilities.

Obviously the OP requested info about a home theater (ie a sound system). Don't really understand the responses about Blue Ray players or upconverting DVD players.

Isn't separately purchased DVD player (or Blue Ray player) + AV receiver + speakers a home theater or sound system as much as package deal from tesco? :o

If i would have purchased "huge HD plasma tv" i would definedly get a sound system to match and make full use of the not so cheap tv. But up to you as they say :D

Those all in 1 audio systems with Wireless rears aren't very good. I owned 2 sets of them back in Canada. As someone mentioned above you can get Soken/Sherm which in my opinion isn't very good either, but will still perform better then those home theater in a box setups.

Also it depends on how big your room is. I'm using a mix and match setup with infinity Subwoofer and cerwin vega speakers in a condominum and the sound is quite good.

I just wanted to close this off.

First, thanks for the advice.

I ended up with the Philips and I am happy with it. I looked at the Onkyo, but to get the same capabilities would have cost me more than I wanted to spend for my condo (which is temporary until I get a new place).

I am using it with the television and i-Pod, and for these purposes, it is doing fine.

• 6 months later...

Choose a disk, or two that you know, and will really exercise the system,

then go round and ask for a demo at each store.

Let your own golden(?) ears be the deciding factor

before you part with any money.

In my book Sony, Samsung and Philips are not Hi-Fi