Scot Who Beat Up Pensioner Is Found Dead In Thai Hotel

sriracha john

Scot who beat up pensioner is found dead in Thai hotel

A BUSINESSMAN has been found dead in Thailand just weeks after being forced to hand over £3,000 by a Scottish sheriff.

Bar owner Steven Stewart, 40, was found with injury marks to his head and body when he was discovered dead in a guest house on Sunday.

The Perthshire businessman, who had a partner and child in the Far East, returned to Thailand after being ordered to hand over all the cash he had made at home to prop up his ailing bar.

He was initially held in custody and had his passport confiscated by the court after beating up a pensioner. He told Perth Sheriff Court last month he had come home to Scotland to work for a couple of months to raise funds for his bar business in Pattaya. After telling the court he had £3,000 in total he was fined £2,000 and ordered to give the rest in compensation to his victim, Alexander Thomson.

Mr Stewart was given back his passport after handing the cash over and he flew back to Thailand later the same week.

Thai police confirmed yesterday that Mr Stewart's body had been found by a maid at the Thong Guest House in Pattaya on Sunday afternoon.

Despite his injuries, police do not suspect foul play and instead believe that Mr Stewart, from Auchterarder, was a victim of "excess". Police Lt-Colonel Sompon said there was no evidence he had been killed by anyone else. He said: "He had clearly been drinking heavily and had to be helped to his room by guest-house staff."

A hotel maid found him, still fully-clothed, in the afternoon. A post-mortem examination has still to be concluded.

- news.scotsman.com / 2008-12-31

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scots bar owner is found dead

THE BODY of a Perthshire businessman was found at a holiday resort in Thailand over the weekend.

A maid at a guest house in Pattaya discovered the body of Steven Stewart (40), originally from Auchterarder, on Sunday.

Although there were injuries to Mr Stewart’s face and head, Thai police have stated that they are not treating his death as suspicious.

It is thought that his demise was caused by heavy drinking, and it is understood that staff at the guest house had to help him to his room in the early hours of Sunday morning.

He was not seen again until the maid entered the room on Sunday afternoon and came across his body, which was still fully clothed.

A post mortem to establish the cause of death has still to be completed.

Mr Stewart, who ran a bar in Thailand, returned there just weeks after being convicted of assaulting a pensioner at a pub in Dunning in October.

He was arrested after carrying out a brutal attack on the 67-year-old man in the toilets of the bar, where he claimed he had been so drunk that he believed the pensioner was a skinhead threatening him.

Last month at Perth Sheriff Court he was fined £2000, and ordered to pay £1000 in compensation to his victim.

He was ordered to remain in Scotland until the fine was paid off, and had to surrender his passport to the court to ensure that he would comply.

Mr Stewart had previously been fined £2000 in 1995 in relation to an earlier assault.

- The Courier (UK) / 2008-12-31

Bar owner found dead in Thailand

A Scottish businessman has been found dead at a holiday resort in Thailand.

The body of bar owner Steven Stewart, 40, from Auchterarder, was found by a maid at the Thong Guest House in Pattaya on Sunday.

He had flown to Thailand just weeks after being convicted of assaulting a pensioner at a pub in Dunning, Perthshire, in October.

A spokesman for Thai police said Mr Stewart's death was not being treated as suspicious.

A hearing at Perth Sheriff Court in November was told Mr Stewart returned to Scotland to make money for his ailing business in Pattaya.

'Heavy drinking'

He was arrested on 5 October after launching an unprovoked attack on a stranger in a pub toilet, claiming he was so drunk he believed his 67-year-old victim was an aggressive skinhead.

After telling the court he had earned £3,000, he was fined £2,000 and ordered to give the rest in compensation to his victim.

Thai Police confirmed on Tuesday Mr Stewart's body was found in Pattaya on Sunday afternoon.

Despite injuries to his face and head, officers said they did not suspect foul play and instead described him as a victim of "excess".

Thai police Lt-Colonel Sompon added: "He had clearly been drinking heavily and had to be helped to his room by guest house staff."

Staff had helped Mr Stewart to his room in the early hours of the morning and was not seen again until the maid found him, still fully-clothed, during the afternoon.

A post mortem to establish the cause of death has still to be concluded.

- BBC / 2008-12-30

29_12_3.jpg

29_12_3_2.jpg

Scottish Man found dead in Central Pattaya Guest House.

On Sunday afternoon, Police Lieutenant Colonel Sompon from Pattaya Police Station was called to the Thong Guest House located in Soi Skeow Beach in Central Pattaya following reports of a foreign fatality at the location.

Officers made their way to the Thong Guest House and to room number 101 to inspect the body of Mr. Steven Stewart aged 40, originally from Perth in Scotland.

He was lying fully clothed on the bed and marks were evident on his face and upper body. Staff at the guest house explained that Mr. Stewart returned early on Sunday morning in a drunken state.

He was helped to his room by staff and later on in the day a cleaner entered the room and realized Mr. Stewart had passed away.

A post-mortem examination is now underway, but police suspect there was no foul play involved in the death.

- Pattaya One News

Although there were injuries to Mr Stewart's face and head, Thai police have stated that they are not treating his death as suspicious.

What they can't be bothered to do a real investigation.... A fairly young man dies with injuries to his face and head, and police find nothing suspicious about it?

The injuries could be nothing but a simple drunken fall, or they could be from some one harming him..... I think the police should do their jobs and at least look into it and rule out the possibility of foul play.

RIP

Edited by MyphuketLife

Although there were injuries to Mr Stewart's face and head, Thai police have stated that they are not treating his death as suspicious.

What they can't be bothered to do a real investigation.... A fairly young man dies with injuries to his face and head, and police find nothing suspicious about it?

The injuries could be nothing but a simple drunken fall, or they could be from some one harming him..... I think the police should do their jobs and at least look into it and rule out the possibility of foul play.

RIP

RIP---<deleted>---this guy has just been convicted of a vicious assault on a 67 year old pensioner [ who he thought was a skinhead!!!!!]--why say RIP--good riddance, more like--foul play or not, who gives a .....!

RIP

I agree that it does seem a little suspicious, but it's hard to feel any sympathy for this guy considering he beats up pensioners. Not exactly the "high quality" person that the Thailand is trying to attract.

RIP

What makes you think that they didnt do a real investigation?.....so what if he has a few cuts n bumps....maybe they were consistent with cutting himself while shaving.....perhaps the injuries were old....its not rocket science. Having said all of that, the care factor would be fairly low, look at what you are dealing with? This may very well be a case of a job done well, why do people always have to be so critical to start with. :o

RIP

RIP---<deleted>---this guy has just been convicted of a vicious assault on a 67 year old pensioner [ who he thought was a skinhead!!!!!]--why say RIP--good riddance, more like--foul play or not, who gives a .....!

So because the guy is "scum", if there was foul play it does not matter? If there was foul play the "scum" that did the foul play on this "scum" should not see justice?

RIP to all that die.

Edited by MyphuketLife

MyPL,

Everything you are saying is based on the assumption that the matter wasnt properly investigated.

As for him being 'scum' you're words.....I guess you could say if he plays hard and loses, then thats his problem. Perhaps he lived by the sword and died by the sword....BUT anyone who gives a poor old pensioner a touch up like that probably had it coming.

You just jump in and blame the cops for not doing a propper investigation - his injuries may not have been consistent with an assault or foul play....end of story, what tests did you want them to do on scene? No doubt a post mortem will be done & if the doctor comes up with anything different they will go from there.

MyPL,

Everything you are saying is based on the assumption that the matter wasnt properly investigated.

As for him being 'scum' you're words.....I guess you could say if he plays hard and loses, then thats his problem. Perhaps he lived by the sword and died by the sword....BUT anyone who gives a poor old pensioner a touch up like that probably had it coming.

You just jump in and blame the cops for not doing a propper investigation - his injuries may not have been consistent with an assault or foul play....end of story, what tests did you want them to do on scene? No doubt a post mortem will be done & if the doctor comes up with anything different they will go from there.

I did not blame cops, I stated they should do their job.... A man dies in a hotel room, he has wounds to his head and face and its not "suspicious"? I also stated that it could be a simple drunken fall.... but lets be honest there seems to be alot of suspicious deaths in thailand that never really get investigated.....

Maybe I can shed some light and put the conspiracy theories to rest as a friend of mine was staying in the room next door and I have met this guy before and also I know the girl who found him, Steven came back to Thongs bar at 6a.m. after a heavy night out as many of us have done before, as he was climbing the stairs he tripped and hit his head and a couple of the staff and a guy in the bar helped him into his room, at around 10a.m one of the girls who helped him earlier was worried and decided to check on him and at which point he was found dead, I cannot comment on anything that happened back in Scotland but anybody who watched the TV coverage will see a Farang woman standing outside the door and in another report packing some things into a bag, this is his wife and what you didn't see is his three year old child who is staying with her in another room in the same bar, no one deserves to die at the age of fourty and leave family grieving as they now are but also some of the comments on this thread are undeserving and vindictive , what's the saying there but for the grace of God go I.

What makes you think that they didnt do a real investigation?.....so what if he has a few cuts n bumps....maybe they were consistent with cutting himself while shaving.....perhaps the injuries were old....its not rocket science. Having said all of that, the care factor would be fairly low, look at what you are dealing with? This may very well be a case of a job done well, why do people always have to be so critical to start with. :o

The care factor is exactly my point. If the BiB were known for doing good police work people would not be so critical to start with. The Thai BiB are not exactly well known for their honesty are they?

There you go mypl,

You see theres always more to the story than what the magic media portray. He tripped and hit his head after being out with JIMMYHISS all night. They helped him to bed & he woke up dead. Obviously the Police were told all of this & his injuries being consistent with a fall, finished that part of the investigation.

Yes it is very sad for his wife & child, its a pity he didnt think of them a bit more when he was out running a muck with the JIMMYHISS. I can imagine it would of also been very sad for the family of the old person he bashed previously when they were trying to care for their elderly family member who had just been given a towling by a man 20 something years his junior.

Maybe I can shed some light and put the conspiracy theories to rest as a friend of mine was staying in the room next door and I have met this guy before and also I know the girl who found him, Steven came back to Thongs bar at 6a.m. after a heavy night out as many of us have done before, as he was climbing the stairs he tripped and hit his head and a couple of the staff and a guy in the bar helped him into his room, at around 10a.m one of the girls who helped him earlier was worried and decided to check on him and at which point he was found dead, I cannot comment on anything that happened back in Scotland but anybody who watched the TV coverage will see a Farang woman standing outside the door and in another report packing some things into a bag, this is his wife and what you didn't see is his three year old child who is staying with her in another room in the same bar, no one deserves to die at the age of fourty and leave family grieving as they now are but also some of the comments on this thread are undeserving and vindictive , what's the saying there but for the grace of God go I.

If that is the case then it is a pity this was not mentioned in any of the earlier reports. Points like that do help save confusion.

No heartfelt sympathy here for anyone who can beat up a pensioner. Though I do feel for his wife and child.

The care factor is exactly my point. If the BiB were known for doing good police work people would not be so critical to start with. The Thai BiB are not exactly well known for their honesty are they?

Perhaps I should explain myself a bit better than that one liner.....when I was refering to the care factor being low, it would most likely be based on what was being presented at the time.....how much time do you think the police should put into something like this, now that you know all the facts?

Further to that, you say that the local BIB arnt well known for doing good police work & I would suggest there is some probably some excellent police work being done as well, you just don't hear about it. You only here about the bad cases or the ones that attract negative critism...surely you dont believe that all the thousands of Police in thailand are no good, do you? Be fair, treat every case on its merits, the Police have obviously done a very good job, under very difficult circumstances....you obviously have no idea how stressful dealing with grieving relatives & people in this situation can be.

There you go mypl,

You see theres always more to the story than what the magic media portray. He tripped and hit his head after being out with JIMMYHISS all night. They helped him to bed & he woke up dead. Obviously the Police were told all of this & his injuries being consistent with a fall, finished that part of the investigation.

I believe I stated that was a possible cause in my original post no? To bad the paper failed to report that, why mention the wounds on his head and face and not mention the reason was already known?

Perhaps I should explain myself a bit better than that one liner.....when I was refering to the care factor being low, it would most likely be based on what was being presented at the time.....how much time do you think the police should put into something like this, now that you know all the facts?

Further to that, you say that the local BIB arnt well known for doing good police work & I would suggest there is some probably some excellent police work being done as well, you just don't hear about it. You only here about the bad cases or the ones that attract negative critism...surely you dont believe that all the thousands of Police in thailand are no good, do you? Be fair, treat every case on its merits, the Police have obviously done a very good job, under very difficult circumstances....you obviously have no idea how stressful dealing with grieving relatives & people in this situation can be.

You are 100% correct all police are not bad, allot I am sure are honest and good... But that does not change the fact that many are known for bribe taking, shooting people they fight with even tourists, magic falls from a tall building, hence the reason people are so quick to question their actions.

Maybe this wasn't an inherently bad man, obviously under pressure with his ailing bar, has wife and kid to support, turns to drink as many do and its downhill from there. Did he reach out to any expats for help?? Would any have helped him?? I would like to think so.

Also, this reminds me of a situation that happened that I became aware of: A young man, working as a cook, comes home late at night to his rental, a house shared with about 12 other folks, wild party going on, booze, drugs, laughing gas,(yes, a large cyclinder). He has a few then heads to bed in the basement. On his way downstairs, the railing gives way and he falls and hits his head. Knocked unconscious. His roomates pick him up and put him in bed and continue partying. Next day, he doesn't wake, one roomate finds him and can't wake him, finally calls the emergency medics who come and take him to hosp. He suffered a brain hemorage as a result of hitting his head. They performed surgery and he lived, but I talked to him and he was definitely slower in all his actions. Very very sad to see in a young man, or anyone really. This type of injury might have happened to this man in Patts. and he died from it.

Really, if you see or know of someone injuring their head, get them to a hospital asap, don't just leave them.

Finally, who is to say the their are no old skin heads?? That movement has been around a long time and I don't think they have an expiration date on their beliefs do they? Probably wasn't, but again, can't assume.

Maybe this wasn't an inherently bad man .........

you're absolutely correct there ronnie boy , how presumptuous of us to think otherwise.

he was just another perfectl normal everyday chappie who whenever there is the slightest little problem at home or at work or the weather is not quite to his liking gets violently drunk and goes around carrying out brutal attacks on 67-year-old men in the toilets of bars, believing them to be skinheads threatening him.

as i said before , he should have been jailed for the attack , and horsewhipped too for good measure , then he might still be alive today instead of lying dead in a pattaya hovel and on the front page of the pattaya post.

RIP

2 wrongs dont' make a right - my dear hillbilly. If this guy was killed then by your f***ed up logic the murderer should be allowed to just walk into the sunset

not seen anyone blame the papers for sensationalising this report.if they had done their homework and got the FACTS correct this would not have happened.

Agreed. The culprit is shoddy reporting. Often investigations are made, but for whatever reason, are left out of the news reports.