ถ้า Or ถ้าหาก

bannork

3 questions for those with some spare time in the holidays.

What is the difference in use between:

ถ้า and ถ้าหาก

bannork

Tha - If - Simple cause and effect usage. If x then y. More of a statement.

Tha hak (wa) - Means "supposing that" or "if in the event that" .... e.g. If I go, will you go too? I think "Tha hak" it is more related to asking a question based on supposition of something happening.

PS - Don't get the idea I know this myself ... I just looked it up in the end-all be-all of Thai Reference Books "Thai Reference Grammar by James Higby and Snea Thinsan" ... :o

Edited by Ithailian

รู้ and ทราบ

bannork

Roo - To know, less formal. Used between equals or in normal conversation.

Sap - To know, formal and polite. Used with superiors. Used properly with Krup/Ka at the end.

PS - As I get older, I find more Thai's use sap with me. :o Just like in the US when the young shop girl says "Sir"... I hate that...

รู้ and ทราบ

bannork

Sap - To know, formal and polite. Used with superiors. Used properly with Krup/Ka at the end.

PS - As I get older, I find more Thai's use sap with me. :D Just like in the US when the young shop girl says "Sir"... I hate that...

You (and your reference :o) are absolutely correct. According to my experience ถ้าหาก or just หาก are also more common in formal writing than just "ถ้า".

Thai stylistics dictate that two-word expressions with near-synonyms sound or look better or more eloquent than just one single word. This is in sharp contrast to much Western writing that emphasizes brevity and clarity above all.

I've often heard ไม่ทราบเหมือนกัน meaning 'I don't know either' or when asking about some fact, historically, geographically,etc the answer will be ไม่ทราบ but when the great late singer Pumpuang sang the song she said,หนูไม่รู้จริงฯ

bannork

I've often heard ไม่ทราบเหมือนกัน meaning 'I don't know either' or when asking about some fact, historically, geographically,etc the answer will be ไม่ทราบ but when the great late singer Pumpuang sang the song she said,หนูไม่รู้จริงฯ

bannork

she said,หนูไม่รู้จริงฯ

Maybe she was really clueless. :o เราไม่รู้เหมือนกัน :D

Snowleopard

Edited by snowleopard

รู้ and ทราบ

bannork

PS - As I get older, I find more Thai's use sap with me. :o Just like in the US when the young shop girl says "Sir"... I hate that...

Just comes with age, Ithailian. Enjoy the respect! :D

In terms of "ruucak" - รู้จัก I've always thought it was used when denoting a person, place or thing was known and "saap" ทราบ is used when stating some information is known.

Perhaps one of the "Big Guns" can weigh in on this one?

Cheers,

บุญมี

Edited by Boon Mee

ถ้า and ถ้าหาก

bannork

Tha - If - Simple cause and effect usage. If x then y. More of a statement.

Tha hak (wa) - Means "supposing that" or "if in the event that" .... e.g. If I go, will you go too? I think "Tha hak" it is more related to asking a question based on supposition of something happening.

PS - Don't get the idea I know this myself ... I just looked it up in the end-all be-all of Thai Reference Books "Thai Reference Grammar by James Higby and Snea Thinsan" ... :o

So ถ้า is used with the Zero Conditional,ie laws of science, for example-'If you heat water to 100 degrees it boils'. Whilst ถ้าหาก is used with the First Conditional-' if it doesn't rain we will play tennis'

Thanks Ithailian

bannork.