BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
sbk

Chinese Food In Bangkok

Whats your recommendations? And not for that fake Chinese stuff you get at home but authentic Chinese. OK, not cat or monkey brains, but the real stuff not egg foo yung.

hi

there are 2 very different places that I love:

1) Dalian - northern Chinese food

Sukhumvit Soi 40, near to the entrance of the soi, just on the right hand side. Red lanterns outside.

Steamed dumplings (jiaozi) just like I used to eat in Beijing! Some great fried aubergine dishes here too. Dishes can err on the greasy side so wash down with Tsingtao beer. Staff lounge around watching chinese soap opera on the telly when it's not busy. Really reminds me of the cheap and cheerful restaurants you get in China....

2) China House for dim sum.

Mandarin Oriental. I thought the dim sum was superb - wonderfully fresh and tasty. The Peking duck ain't bad either.

feel hungry now.

Edited by bkkmei

mmmm jiaozi, miss those. I will have a look for that one, thanks bkkmei :o

China Town

We used to go with friends to a really good place, nice restaurant.....mostly thai and chinese people go there. Excellent food. Have to ask my friend the location though.

Beachbunny

I've never eaten there but I read an article in the Financial Times about a Chinese place in Gaysorn Plaza that is supposed to do a magnificent dim sum.

I like "Joke Club" at Sukhumvit soi 11.

Joke Club is gone now. Reasonably priced Chinese doesn't seem to exist around lower Sukhumvit, except maybe for the Chinese restaurant in the Ambassador if you go for the dim-sum lunch.

Try wandering into a populated restaurant in Chinatown.

It's difficult to find real chinese food in Chinatown, most is a mix of Thai and Chinese. Or rather Chinese food with heavy Thai influences.

There is a Tesco Lotus in Chinatown and on the 2nd and 10th floors they have good Chinese restaurants. I think both are part of the Peking Chinese restaurant chain.

This is not the one I was thinking of, but I've been to this one and it's very good.

Royal Kitchen

Beachbunny

Looks interesting but don't know that I'd try their special menu of braised sea slugs stuffed with prawns :o

I have to admit a fondness for the northern style Chinese food, just don't go for chotofu. :D

There are certain Chinese foods I have been unable to locate. Anyone with some clues:

Claypot dishes (such as mixed seafood with tofu claypot. oysters and pork belly claypot, sizzling chicken claypot, tofu salted fish claypot, beef and turnip claypot)

Muslim Chinese wheat dishes: hand made chewy and thick wheat noodles in stir fries and spicy soups

Chinese baked breads: Sesame bread, scallion bread etc.

Any idea where to get a good Beijing Duck in Bangkok?

I'm still trying to find out the name of the restaurant in BKK that has excellent Peking Duck. Let you know as soon as I hear

from my contact.

Beachbunny

you could try jasmin at times square for peking duck... been there several times for timsum as well.

i've also heard that arnoma hotel serves pretty good duck as well, but never tried it myself!