Private Investigator In Chang Mai Area

shocker

Has anyone any experience or advice that they can pass on about engaging the services of a private investigator?Its nothing sordid or untoward or even a legal matter simply trying to locate a family member last known to be in the area.

The problem I forsee is that I am stuck in the UK for now and would be open to all sorts of cons,so fellow forum-ers,what say you?

Thanks in advance for your help and advice

shocks

Has anyone any experience or advice that they can pass on about engaging the services of a private investigator?Its nothing sordid or untoward or even a legal matter simply trying to locate a family member last known to be in the area.

The problem I forsee is that I am stuck in the UK for now and would be open to all sorts of cons,so fellow forum-ers,what say you?

shocks

you are right, you would be subjected to lots of cons from lawyers and investigators. if you are not in the kingdom they would not need to do any work for you even if they had your money. that is how the thai mind works i am afraid.

you could try the chiangmai expats club, they might to an email shot - they have in he past. but again if anyone asks for money, run.

please be careful. expats newly arrived heer are getting caught everyday

Just a caveat, ThaiVisa.com doesn't allow missing persons threads. Too risky, legally speaking and one never knows what the true agenda is. Exchanging info about PIs is fine, exchanging info about a specific missing person isn't.

shocks

you are right, you would be subjected to lots of cons from lawyers and investigators. if you are not in the kingdom they would not need to do any work for you even if they had your money. that is how the thai mind works i am afraid.

you could try the chiangmai expats club, they might to an email shot - they have in he past. but again if anyone asks for money, run.

please be careful. expats newly arrived heer are getting caught everyday

[that is how the thai mind works i am afraid.

Not only Thai minds, but most everyone's mind :o

Edited by Ajarn

It would seem that a PI in the missing person's home country could help, especially if that PI has done some international locating. Perhaps the missing person gets a pension, maintains credit cards, has a UK bank account, etc. Few people severe all ties with their home country, unless they deliberately don't want to be found. Thailand is full of expats like that, though. We've learned that some expats here consider your question too personal if you ask about their last name or where they're from during an initial conversation.

Just a caveat, ThaiVisa.com doesn't allow missing persons threads. Too risky, legally speaking and one never knows what the true agenda is. Exchanging info about PIs is fine, exchanging info about a specific missing person isn't.

Absolutely right.

Many people may have good legit reasons for not wanting to be traced.

Everyone is entitled to privacy and to pick and choose who they wish to be associated with.

Edited by sassienie

I had occasion some years back to use the services of a PI.

He was an ex BIB and I would not recommend anyone to use his services even if their lives depended on it.

He did a good job BUT he was an extortionist. He had the morals and the integrity of a snake.

The fact that we had agreed on a contract (certain services for an agreed fee) was of no consequence, "he wanted more"

Just don't trust these guys. :o

I had occasion some years back to use the services of a PI.

He was an ex BIB and I would not recommend anyone to use his services even if their lives depended on it.

He did a good job BUT he was an extortionist. He had the morals and the integrity of a snake.

The fact that we had agreed on a contract (certain services for an agreed fee) was of no consequence, "he wanted more"

Just don't trust these guys. :o

Perfect quailifications for a PI or a lawyer!

I've worked with several PIs in the U.S. and found them to be pretty reputable. I think they have to go thru some sort of licensing or certification. This is part of why I recommended that the OP also secure the services of a PI in the missing person's home country. Part of what amazed me about working with them was how quickly they can size up a situation and figure out what's relevant and what isn't. They are very "quick studies".

• 2 weeks later...

shocks

I used this company in PHUKET... they also have a business in Chiang Mai... www.chiangmaispy.com .... they got what i needed.

shocks

I used this company in PHUKET... they also have a business in Chiang Mai... www.chiangmaispy.com .... they got what i needed.

That link came up with a blank. :o

shocks

Hmmmm... works for me... http://www.chiangmaispy.com/

I have always heard that the PI's in Thailand were basically part of the mafia.

That wouldn't surprise me one little bit.

When you consider that the police are part of it (the mafia) the flower sellers are controlled by it, all shops and stalls in the night bazaar were (maybe still are) controlled by it, "the list is infinite", one might be better trying to find who "is not" part of the local "Cosa Nostra"

Edited by john b good

When you consider that the police are part of it (the mafia) the flower sellers are controlled by it, all shops and stalls in the night bazaar were (maybe still are) controlled by it, "the list is infinite", one might be better trying to find who "is not" part of the local "Cosa Nostra"

You haven't a clue to speak about it, so why speak at all ? There is no big Mafia in Chiang Mai, just some crooked individuals who sometimes act together. The Police are not guilty of much involvement, the flower sellers are not controlled, and the night bazarr is completely innocent. If you have some evidence otherwise, please express it, if not, then keep yourself quiet is better.

shocks

Hmmmm... works for me... http://www.chiangmaispy.com/

We hope this clarification passes muster with the TV management. It's not our intention to draw undue attention to ourselves as a marketing exercise, just to prevent any possible confusion.

If you look at the website above, at the top of every page they proclaim themselves to be, quote "Thai Spy!" The exclamation point strikes us as being ambitious, but the main point I'd like to make is that they aren't affiliated with us. We're Thai-Spy.com Thailand Private Investigators and we have no relation whatsoever to chiangmaispy, phuketspy, spythai, ad nauseum... After we'd made our bones and built a solid operational history, any number of imitators with the word "spy" in their name came out of the woodwork; it's flattering and annoying at the same time, but par for the course. In a nutshell, we ain't them and them ain't us. We have an extremely limited joint operational agreement with precisely one other agency (T.B.G.I.) and otherwise seek to steer clear of outside entanglements.

Any Thai-owned and Thai-operated investigative agency will almost invariably be run by a current or former member of the RTP. That in itself satisfies for some people the definition of "mafia". It's also a matter for personal speculation whether or not any of the BIB would bring the debatable practices of Thai law enforcement into the their sphere of operations as private investigators. It's at least worth considering that a Western-owned agency is more likely to operate to a Western standard.

Shameless plug: If you haven't already done so, try to pick up a copy of the January 2009 issue of The Big Chilli magazine. Along with several other agencies, we did interviews with their staff writer, Adam Purcell, that give some insights into the local PI life and the "men in the shadows" as Adam put it.

Edited for spelling.

Edited by Thai-Spy

When I used... Phuket Spy... same as www.chiangmaispy.com ... they were FARANG owned with extensive operations out of Bangkok. They were very professional and did exactly what I asked them to do. I know there are other agencies out there... but I dont have any experience with Thai-Spy organization... I am only speaking from my personal experience with this company... and it was good.

I have heard horror sories about scam companies out there... only take your money... so you do need to be careful.

Good luck!

When I used... Phuket Spy... same as www.chiangmaispy.com ... they were FARANG owned with extensive operations out of Bangkok. They were very professional and did exactly what I asked them to do. I know there are other agencies out there... but I dont have any experience with Thai-Spy organization... I am only speaking from my personal experience with this company... and it was good.

I have heard horror sories about scam companies out there... only take your money... so you do need to be careful.

Good luck!

There's an interesting coincidence here that invites clarification, please.

In http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Private-Inve...50#entry2473150 you wrote:

And over here in http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Jobs-Chiang-...22#entry2473122 you wrote:

Hello all...

I have a need for a couple of local programmers in CHIANG MAI. I have tried placing ad on CITY LIFE... but no luck. I have some new sites launching www.chiangmaiclassifieds.net and www.thaiautosales.com ... and I really need to find a local PHP | AJAX programmer that can work with me side by side on these sites.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Funny thing is, we take a look at the 4 domains cited:

http://whois.domaintools.com/phuketspy.com

http://whois.domaintools.com/chiangmaispy.com

http://whois.domaintools.com/chiangmaiclassifieds.net

http://whois.domaintools.com/thaiautosales.com

and we quickly see that all 4 domains are registered to the same person, using the same "aadams007" email address. And the registrant name... doesn't that sound like it could have inspired the ThaiVisa username "ASHTONITE"?

So in order to help the ThaiVisa readership put your PI recommendations into context, maybe some disclosure on your business relationships with the firms you recommend is in order.

I have a software development company for 10 years... Romania... Denmark... USA.... now Thailand. I have about 1,000 Domain names registered with GO DADDY in the USA. I build and host sites for various companies...

I have absolutely no affiliation or business ties with any private investigation companies... Like many men who come to Thailand... and travel a lot... we find it very hard to trust Thai Women... I used this service in Phuket and was satisfied... nothing more... nothing less.

My comments are truthful and are 100% non-biased.

Somebody has too much time on their hands... and I think that Mr. Thai - Spy is only trying to make his company look better than others :-) Actually... with your comments .... it sounds to me like your are pretty desperate. I was simply telling of my positive experience... unlike you sir... who are actually here trying to drum up business on a forum... where that is looked down upon.

Go advertise on google... or do something useful to grow your business... other than trying to discredit honest people.

Good luck with your business ...

Like many men who come to Thailand... and travel a lot... we find it very hard to trust Thai Women... I used this service in Phuket and was satisfied... nothing more... nothing less.

If you need to hire PI's to spy on Thai women, then you have too much free time on your hands. Get a life! Or, just find a new Thai woman.

I am a business man.... with operations in 3 countries... I travel a lot... about 300,000 KM a year or more. You hear all kinds of horror stories and when the cat's away... the mice will play. I don't understand why people like you make posts like this... tell me to get a life? You know nothing about me and my life.... and the sad but true fact is... you cant trust all Thai Women... it is far better to be a live dog then a dead lion... so many men get taken for lots of money by these women. I was smart enough not to let it happen to me.

So... I have a life.. and a good one too... your comment was ill advised and poorly thought out. Not everyone is lucky enough to meet a good Thai girl the first time around. I am happy to say that I did... everything checked out... we have been together for 2 years and will marry soon.

My advice to the person who originally posted this question ( SHOCKER ) is to do what you feel is right... TRUST... YES VERIFY... you are far better to be safe than sorry.

:o "WE" My friend are the many men that come to Thailand... stay... or travel back and forth. There are 1,000's of us Unfortunately with the success of businesses like that of Mr. Thai - Spy .... we all must come to the realization that money is the root of all Evil.... :D

I am a business man.... with operations in 3 countries... I travel a lot... about 300,000 KM a year or more. You hear all kinds of horror stories and when the cat's away... the mice will play. I don't understand why people like you make posts like this... tell me to get a life? You know nothing about me and my life.... and the sad but true fact is... you cant trust all Thai Women... it is far better to be a live dog then a dead lion... so many men get taken for lots of money by these women. I was smart enough not to let it happen to me.

So... I have a life.. and a good one too... your comment was ill advised and poorly thought out. Not everyone is lucky enough to meet a good Thai girl the first time around. I am happy to say that I did... everything checked out... we have been together for 2 years and will marry soon.

My advice to the person who originally posted this question ( SHOCKER ) is to do what you feel is right... TRUST... YES VERIFY... you are far better to be safe than sorry.

Ummm, highly suspicious to me this guy has been on TV two days, and clocked up nearly forty posts half of which seem to be promoting his business, or talking pure crap, like this one. Mods???

To the OP: suggest you have a conversation with ICO law firm in Chiang Mai. Apart from being good and highly respected lawyers, they seem very adept at resolving related problems in creative ways and am sure they can help you with PI services.

You haven't a clue to speak about it, so why speak at all ? There is no big Mafia in Chiang Mai, just some crooked individuals who sometimes act together. The Police are not guilty of much involvement, the flower sellers are not controlled, and the night bazarr is completely innocent. If you have some evidence otherwise, please express it, if not, then keep yourself quiet is better.

You seem to have a short memory. All stalls in the night bazaar were under the contol of some army wallah (s) One stall owner who wouldn't pay was ordered dead. In there inimitable style they shot the wrong guy.

And for one who professes to be a teacher "bazaar" is the correct spelling :o

Ummm, highly suspicious to me this guy has been on TV two days, and clocked up nearly forty posts half of which seem to be promoting his business, or talking pure crap, like this one. Mods???

To the OP: suggest you have a conversation with ICO law firm in Chiang Mai. Apart from being good and highly respected lawyers, they seem very adept at resolving related problems in creative ways and am sure they can help you with PI services.

I think my posts have been genuine and helpful... I really fail to understand why people like you continue to badger others. Do you have a self confidence problem? I am not promoting my business... I posted a genuine question about finding suitable programmers for my websites... half of which are not operational yet... so what's to promote?

My comment was not crap.. In my opinion...asking a legal firm to do private investigative services is like trying to mix oil with water.... DUH! Besides they fact that they are not legally permitted to do such work and often fail to provide required services in this area. If a Lawyer offers to engage in such activity.... FIND A NEW LAW FIRM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PaaGai... in the future... just offer sound advice to others and don't waste your time writing crap :-) The idea of these forums are to help people in need... and build relationships. If you red my posts in detail... you will see I am helping... not promoting. Please... at least get your facts straight should you wish to attach someone.

Kind regards