New Models For The Thai Market

PeaceBlondie

From the worlds number 8th of Motorcycle producers soon you can witness the introduction of the 250cc V-Twin Lifan LF250-B a 250cc V-twin cruiser motorcycle in Thailand..

Is this bike even worth considering???? No reason to buy "crap on wheels" even if it is cheap crap.

What about the Yamaha Elegance 150 cc and the Yamaha Star 250 V that people (I think that you are one of them) say are coming soon??? I would have gotten a new Honda PCX if I hadn't read that the new Elegance 150 cc was "coming soon to a theatre near you".

And what about the Honda Phantom in 2010? Will it be fuel injected or dropped, since I have read that all Hondas in 2010 will be fuel injected?

Thanks.

The only owners of Chinese bikes I've ever heard who had anything good to say about them were those who were trying to sell me their barely used bike. Electrical problems, starters that break off or the teeth in the gears break, screwed up electrical if you wash it or ride it in the rain, rust after a month, the clear plastic on the guages and headlight turns non-transparent, the batteries last only a few months, the tires are junk....on and on .....

The Suzuki Hayate-i 125 has added fuel injection and can be purchased in BKK for around 50,000 baht. Just in distribution.

Yes, in the U.S., Lifan has a better reputation than the general run of Chinese bikes (which often have several, changing, names), if you go by the motorcycle review magazines. Perhaps even to be considered in a class with those from Taiwan - Kymco, for example, which are sold worldwide. (I've always wanted to try Kymco's "Grand Dink 250" model. But they changed the name for some markets, for some reason.) Thinking of the bragging rights I've missed.

Suzuki searches for gaps.

I add this because it gives a perspective about our changing market for fuel INJECTED choices:

Since Honda has crowded the mass-market territory with 110cc F-injected bikes, from clutch-free to automatic, while abandoning the CBR 150 and similar configurations, Suzuki is exploring market gaps – fuel injected market gaps based on 125cc engines..

And with lower powered Yamaha entries just now are largely without F-i technology, it is not surprising to see Suzuki offering a variety of bikes that offer other choices. Again, these are *125cc F-1 engines:

Last year, Suzuki introduced ]a twin-eyed, fuel injected, automatic -

the *Jelato – that is something in the flat-floored retro Vespa category with 14" tires.

Their *Skydrive 125cc has been fuel injected (auto, more inner storage, 14" tires).

Their just announced *Samuri 125cc is to be fuel injected, but it will retain a four speed auto-clutch drive, chain driven with 16" tires.

Their 2010 *Hayate 125cc is fuel injected (auto, larger frame and seat, more inner storage and 16" tires).

This fuel injected set, given their prices, can challenge nearby models for speed, power, and fuel efficiency. It seems that all can run with E-20 fuel.

Edited by CMX

Suzuki searches for gaps.

I add this because it gives a perspective about our changing market for fuel INJECTED choices:

Since Honda has crowded the mass-market territory with 110cc F-injected bikes, from clutch-free to automatic, while abandoning the CBR 150 and similar configurations, Suzuki is exploring market gaps – fuel injected market gaps based on 125cc engines..

And with lower powered Yamaha entries just now are largely without F-i technology, it is not surprising to see Suzuki offering a variety of bikes that offer other choices. Again, these are *125cc F-1 engines:

Last year, Suzuki introduced ]a twin-eyed, fuel injected, automatic -

the *Jelato – that is something in the flat-floored retro Vespa category with 14" tires.

Their *Skydrive 125cc has been fuel injected (auto, more inner storage, 14" tires).

Their just announced *Samuri 125cc is to be fuel injected, but it will retain a four speed auto-clutch drive, chain driven with 16" tires.

Their 2010 *Hayate 125cc is fuel injected (auto, larger frame and seat, more inner storage and 16" tires).

This fuel injected set, given their prices, can challenge nearby models for speed, power, and fuel efficiency. It seems that all can run with E-20 fuel.

With "Samurai" you mean likely the "Shogun". And the Shogun fi not only has 4-gear semi-automatic gearbox, it also has a different fuel-injection system called EPI.

The difference b_suzuki-epi-vs-dcp-fi.jpg

RichardBKK

Thank you, my error, and I DO know the difference between shogun and samuri.

But in spite of the clear examples, I cannot make out why exactly I am happier with the EPI system, if I am?

Let me add that here in Chiang Mai they are showing the Suzuki Shogun 125cc F-1, featuring their new fuel injection system. I saw four at one place.

Also, at the Yamaha dealer, I was shown what was said to be the 2010 model of the Nouvo Elegance - NO fuel injection. In fact, it was a pumpkin orange, and black, with what was supposed to a pretty design on the forward panels. It really should be seen to be believed.

Meanwhile, this month their new 2009 Elegance is 3000 baht off and the MX model 2000. Here, that means 56,500 for the 135cc with spokes and inner tubes because prices here start out higher at 59,500 - shipping, we hear sometimes. I have tried no serious bargaining.

I always memorize and then forget the Thai for tubes and tubeless, so thus far have not inquired further about alloys except to find that with a new purchase, the wheels (at least) are 3K baht. Includes title, basic insurance and medical basic too - maybe some worthless toys.

• 4 weeks later...

Dont think yamaha bring it in legally..

At 4k GBP it would be 250 maybe 300 with added costs if the Vespas are in line (I thought 250's import tax got dropped ??).

Must admit.. Would kinda like one, but probably not at at that much.

Dont think yamaha bring it in legally..

At 4k GBP it would be 250 maybe 300 with added costs if the Vespas are in line (I thought 250's import tax got dropped ??).

Must admit.. Would kinda like one, but probably not at at that much.

Thanks for that, yeah seems ideal for Thailand really, but like you say, not at anywhere near that price! Ah well, maybe in a couple of years time they might bring it in legally.

Cheers, Biff

• 4 months later...

Funny market Thailand. Very few bike options compared to say Indonesia or Vietnam. I think its the herd mentality/fashion mentality here. I mean people don't choose what they really want; they just follow a fashion. I would love to buy the Yamaha vixion (Indonesia) here; I don't want a cbr. There is just so little choice. Sigh.

• 3 months later...

Well last post here 2010/12 so no idea is there is interest but here goes. After looking at options for cheap transport with a little concern to usability, I went for the Lifan LF250-B purchased in Chiang Mai. 78,000 baht. Have only put 750K on it but have found:

1/ Light at speed with vibration (not real bad) over 90k

2/ Lights failed (no biggy) but no tools and no where to service in Chiang Rai

3/ No options available for the bike (did get saddle Bags Chiang Rai)

4/ Tires, lowest bidder, not restricted to Lifan, slippery and no option for wheels

5/ Fit of parts and wiring consistant with price, but remember what I paid

Pros

1/ Has excellent power to weight

2/ Great on fuel

3/ Have tools now, easy to fix and service (yam virgo manual)

4/ Looks like more then 78,000 baht

5/ Acceptable fit for 6'2" 190lb frame

I found nothing in this price range 80,000 to 100,000 that seems any better and was still new and available. When I get a few more miles under it can say more. Will continue to look for wheels, tires and options.

The Sym was a close second (KeeWay 250)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Funny market Thailand. Very few bike options compared to say Indonesia or Vietnam. I think its the herd mentality/fashion mentality here. I mean people don't choose what they really want; they just follow a fashion. I would love to buy the Yamaha vixion (Indonesia) here; I don't want a cbr. There is just so little choice. Sigh.

After reading the article in the Bangkok Post this morning about the success of the CBR150 and CBR250, I have to wonder (as I have for a long time) if the industry here is just too conservative in making offerings "outside the box" from the typical Thai motorbike? The article seems to prove that somebody likes those bigger bikes with 150 and 250cc engines. Another reason to suspect the industry is reluctant is that I never heard of any lobbying to get engine size limits raised. When it happened, there seemed to be practically no reaction by the industry. Makes me think they enjoy their nice small controlled market place with limited production variations due to limited offerings.

I'd love to see some scooter offerings here such as the Yamaha Majesty 250 and competitors, that offer a bigger bike (and comfort) with practical storage capacity. As for those CBR's, I just can't imagine that slumped-over riding posture would be comfortable riding any distance at all.

Honda tries to keep up with demand

After reading the article in the Bangkok Post this morning about the success of the CBR150 and CBR250, I have to wonder (as I have for a long time) if the industry here is just too conservative in making offerings "outside the box" from the typical Thai motorbike? The article seems to prove that somebody likes those bigger bikes with 150 and 250cc engines. Another reason to suspect the industry is reluctant is that I never heard of any lobbying to get engine size limits raised. When it happened, there seemed to be practically no reaction by the industry. Makes me think they enjoy their nice small controlled market place with limited production variations due to limited offerings.

I'd love to see some scooter offerings here such as the Yamaha Majesty 250 and competitors, that offer a bigger bike (and comfort) with practical storage capacity. As for those CBR's, I just can't imagine that slumped-over riding posture would be comfortable riding any distance at all.

Bit old news Motorcycle Thailand reported the same 28 May http://www.motorcycle.in.th/article.php/Honda-Motorcycle-Shortage-in-Thailand

Bit old news Motorcycle Thailand reported the same 28 May http://www.motorcycle.in.th/article.php/Honda-Motorcycle-Shortage-in-Thailand

It's only "old" news if you already know about it Mr. Poko. My guess is that the Bangkok Post reaches a much larger audience than Motorcycle Thailand, so it was probably current news to most people. It certainly hadn't been posted or discussed previously in this thread by you or anyone else. Anyway, old or current is not the relevant point anyway. Did you have anything to add in response to the article and the comments I made?

• 2 weeks later...

Any News on this bike for the Thai Market ?

Bennche Megelli 250R

Bennche01.jpg?g2_GALLERYSID=TMP_SESSION_ID_DI_NOISSES_PMT

Also release date for the Yamaha 250R ., ? ?

yamaha_yzf-250r.jpg

I really love to buy this Yamaha its awsome !

An American review I read of the Megelli 250R didnt read so good. Made in China and they said very flimsy fairings that had cracked even before the test ride, underpowered, compared to the Ninja, and quite a few other not so flattering remarks.

The Yamaha 125R is made in India. Available in Australia at a very competitive price to the Honda CBR125 (old 150 in thailand) Also Yamaha have a 150 R version of the same bike, but down on specs from the current CBR 150.

Yamaha have squeezed a 1 pot 250cc engine into the same frame, but I think revised suspension and rim size to suit. Apparently almost due for release now. But as Yamaha dont import the 125R into Thailand I cant see them bringing in the 250. But hey I am not Yamaha so anything could happen.

The yammy is a very nice looking bike.

Yamaha are also entering the MotoGP3 class next season so development of a 250 1 potter could add more competition to that market. I read also that Aprilla are developing a 4 stroke 250 to compete, so the global compitition for the road versions could be heating up nicely next year.......but probably not if u live in thailand!!

Kawasaki with their 2 pot 250 will become the oddball of the market. Although I saw somewhere they are doing a major upgrade to the 250 Ninja so maybe also coming out with a 250 single??? to compete.

Bennche Megelli 250R

yamaha_yzf-250r.jpg

An American review I read of the Megelli 250R didnt read so good. Made in China and they said very flimsy fairings that had cracked even before the test ride, underpowered, compared to the Ninja, and quite a few other not so flattering remarks.

The Yamaha 125R is made in India. Available in Australia at a very competitive price to the Honda CBR125 (old 150 in thailand) Also Yamaha have a 150 R version of the same bike, but down on specs from the current CBR 150.

Yamaha have squeezed a 1 pot 250cc engine into the same frame, but I think revised suspension and rim size to suit. Apparently almost due for release now. But as Yamaha dont import the 125R into Thailand I cant see them bringing in the 250. But hey I am not Yamaha so anything could happen.

Yamaha are also entering the MotoGP3 class next season so development of a 250 1 potter could add more competition to that market. I read also that Aprilla are developing a 4 stroke 250 to compete, so the global compitition for the road versions could be heating up nicely next year.......but probably not if u live in thailand!!

Kawasaki with their 2 pot 250 will become the oddball of the market. Although I saw somewhere they are doing a major upgrade to the 250 Ninja so maybe also coming out with a 250 single??? to compete.

The picture of the Yamaha YZF-R250 is in fact a picture of the Yamaha R15 (the 150cc currently sold in India and Australia)

• 5 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Bennche Megelli 250R

yamaha_yzf-250r.jpg

Compete with what? How is the 250 Ninja twin not competing with the Honda single? The numerous tests I've read have been very even and the only thing that goes against the Ninja bar a genuine 2013 cosmetic spruce up is the price.

Completely agree with your sentiment.

I think if you look at this issue in detail, you will find the real reason is the deliberately protectionist tax and import duty regime. You will then have to look behind that and see the reasons for it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Completely agree with your sentiment.

I think if you look at this issue in detail, you will find the real reason is the deliberately protectionist tax and import duty regime. You will then have to look behind that and see the reasons for it.

I think it goes a lot deeper than just this. Why has the government had an interest in resticting the manufacturing of big bikes in Thailand? And (particularly) why do the manufacturers seem to be accepting of this, not complaining publicly, and not lobbying the government to allow them to manufacture bigger and more profitable models they've already developed and sell in other marketplaces? It was just recently that they even got it up to 250cc bikes being legal to make here. While there are protectionist duties and taxes on imports, don't think that it doesn't happen for domestic manufacturing too.

I bought a Mazda 2 a few years ago here. I later compared it to one in the USA. The closest match I could make showed that when accounting for foreign exchange, I paid around $4000 USD more for the same car made here in Thailand. In the USA, I would have gotten one that was slightly better equipped (with cruise control!,) made with expensive Japanese labor, and shipped across the Pacific to the USA, all for about $4,000 less.They tax cars manufactured in Thailand heavily before you even see the selling price at the dealer. I wouldn't be surprised at them doing that for bikes too (at least for the ones getting above 125cc.)

• 2 weeks later...

hey, but think about all the Good these government officials are doing for the People with all the tax income... Good German car collections in their & Mia Nois' garages, Good foreign college educations for their People (families), Good infrastructure, parks, public safety, hospitals nearby their People's gated moo bahns, Good offshore bank accounts & estates for when their gig is up or things get ugly... the list goes on, so just stop yer complainin' and pay up boys!