No F.a Cup In Thailand

bangkok blue

Thanks for that Jim, at least thats more info than UBC could provide!! So who are this "M League" are they a Broadcaster, or some kind of entrepreneurial 3rd party outfit?

Last year, if I remember correctly, some FA Cup games were shown on Thai channels as well as the usual sprinklings on ESPN etc.

I m a Forest supporter, and would desperately want to see our game against Derby on Friday 23rd, but guess its not going to happen unless this financial thing gets sorted?

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ESPN has the broadcastings rights for the FA Cup for most countries in this region but not for Thailand. It is not really Truevision's fault. The FA sells the broadcasting rights to the highest bidder and in Thailand this turned out to be a third party (M-League I think they are called). It seems this company assumed they could sell the rights on for a healthy profit but at the moment all the broadcasters are refusing to meet their asking price. So unless they are willing to compromise we will continue to miss out on the FA Cup in Thailand.

If you have3 a look at previous posts on this FA Cup problem,you will find that M league has had their rights cancelled by the FA for non-compliance.Some TV members have been in contact with the FA on the matter and have recieved replies from the FA which say that they are aware of the problem in Thailand and are hoping to rectify it in time for the 4th round.

If this happens,well done Thai Visa!!

Look at the thread in the football forum. This has already been talked about. You'll find much of use there to answer your questions. You clearly don't understand how it works. It actually has little to do with True Visions. Nobody has the rights for Thailand now. Anyway, go ahead and check out that thread:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Fa-Cup-Thailand-t233601.html

Edited by Jimjim

I read in the Business Post a few days ago that True are launching yet more sports channels covering English football, and they will all be subject to additional subscriptions. Basically these will be dedicated to certain clubs like Manu, Chelsea etc.

I think this is getting to the thin edge of the wedge. Already you have to have a Platinum subscription before you can watch certain matches.

I bet by next year, all the top games will either be on pay per view or subject to an additional subscription.

The Thai Visa 'football police' should keep a close eye on this one. I don't trust True one little bit.

Look at the thread in the football forum. This has already been talked about. You'll find much of use there to answer your questions. You clearly don't understand how it works. It actually has little to do with True Visions. Nobody has the rights for Thailand now. Anyway, go ahead and check out that thread:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Fa-Cup-Thailand-t233601.html

As JimJim points out. Its been discussed at length in here. So i'm going to merge this thread with the other one. BTW> Welcome to the football forum PP.

I bet by next year, all the top games will either be on pay per view or subject to an additional subscription.

I doubt it but nothing would surprise me.

Paying extra for a subscription to Man U or Chelsea TV is far cry from making the top matches pay per view. Some of the top matches still make it to the broadcast channels as it is, and they're free. So, no, I think it's too paranoid to say that.

Poll: Will anyone sign up for these extra channels?

Me: Not a chance.

I have just looked at the True Vision web site and can find no information on these 4 new channels. As I cant read Thai, cant unravel what the promo is saying costs etc and what one could expect . Are they 24 hour programmes , constant replays of the same shows etc etc

I have just looked at the True Vision web site and can find no information on these 4 new channels. As I cant read Thai, cant unravel what the promo is saying costs etc and what one could expect . Are they 24 hour programmes , constant replays of the same shows etc etc

basically its 24 hour MUTV, CHELTV, LPTV and ARSTV - no live games, just re-runs of classics and talk shows. I think the price is around 600 baht a month if I am not mistaken.

basically its 24 hour MUTV, CHELTV, LPTV and ARSTV - no live games, just re-runs of classics and talk shows. I think the price is around 600 baht a month if I am not mistaken.

Well I would imagine they will hav e few takers. Man U only produce about 6 programmes , the rest being repeats of a past glories. Already on Ch 59 I have alraedyseen the Eriv Cantona interview about 25 times. How they can justify that price is beyond me. A silver package is 1600 per mth for many channels.

Thanks for that Jim, at least thats more info than UBC could provide!! So who are this "M League" are they a Broadcaster, or some kind of entrepreneurial 3rd party outfit?

Last year, if I remember correctly, some FA Cup games were shown on Thai channels as well as the usual sprinklings on ESPN etc.

I m a Forest supporter, and would desperately want to see our game against Derby on Friday 23rd, but guess its not going to happen unless this financial thing gets sorted?

Another Forest supporter... I would like to see that game as well. I have told UBC/True if they dont show the FA cup games, then I will cancel my membership when it runs out in a few months time. It will be the end of the football season then anyway! :o

That should show them!

If you do find out the game is being shown anywhere, would appreciate you letting me know...

Edit:

I suspect if there is someone with a fast internet link, maybe we could pay to see it via the internet on that supporters membership offer I often receive from Forest in my email. I usually ignore it as I cannot get a fast internet link where I live.

Edited by dsfbrit

dsfbrit, what, another Forest Fan in Thailand apart from me!!? Excellent!! In a sea of Liverpool/ Man U./ Chelsea fans, usually not from Liverpool Manchester or London, its great that some of us still support our local team!! We should keep in touch. Can you send me a PM with your email address?

By the way, I feel exactly as you do about True/UBC. In my view, they charge the earth, yet frequently dont provide a full service equivalent to what you get in Hong Kong or Singapore. For example, in Thailand we get ONE BBC Entertainment channel, whereas in fact there are four of these channels available in most other places. When it comes to Sports, they only give you what they can get on the cheap, hence the cancellation of half time coverage in the Premiership, no Olympic Games or World cup on True....they were only on Thai Channels, no Cricket at all, which is easily available via India or South Africa, and I believe they only finally covered the Rugby World cup because a last minute cheap deal came along which didnt cost True very much at all.

If I really had a suitable alternative, I would cancel at a stroke. Unfortunately us Foreign Sports Fans are pretty much over a barrell. Just wait til Internet type coverage comes fully on stream in a couple of years. True will lose thousands of customers very quickly. Right now their so called service is nothing short of a disgrace.

So....its all gone quiet on the FA Cup.....5 days now before the 4th Round starts on Friday with Derby/ Forest. Any news anyone, or are we to be frustrated again next weekend?

Probably. :o

ermm to all those missing out.... did I mention I "CAN" watch the FA cups? :D

but! its too early in the mornings to make it practical!

Well I've started the ball moving, I suggest we bombard the FA with similar e-mails prior to each round til something is done.

Dear Sir,

With regards to my previous communication can you please update me as to the progress that has been made regarding distributing the rights for the F.A cup in Thailand. There are many exciting fixtures this coming weekend, such as the merseyside derby and Manchester United vs Spurs, it would be a crying shame for Thailand to be possibly one of the only countries unable to see these matches live. Is there any chance something can be done so we are able to see these games over here this time? Thanks in advance for your time taken on this matter, I await your reply.

have just emailed them too. is it worth a mail to the sports or football editor at the bangkok post as well on this? just to draw more attention to the issue?

Might be a good idea. Worth a try really. At this rate you may get to see the final. Maybe? :o

My local is showing Games all weekend next week starting with us at Hartlepool, i'll try & find out what they're receiving it on but i think it's the Satelitte they have as they showed the West Ham V Fulham Game last night on ESPN & we don't have the Premiership on ESPN here any more...