60 day tourist w/30 day extension

Love this site, thanks to everyone for all the info here.

I am an American citizen and have been in Thailand on a 60 day tourist visa that allowed me to extend my stay for 30 more days. I have to leave the country by Sept. 5. Can I get this same type of visa in Penang? I've been reading through the forums, but can't seem to find any info on whether or not this is the type of visa I will get there.

For this type of visa, is Penang the cheapest/fastest route to go?

I would appreciate any advice/help anyone out there has to offer. Thanks a lot.

Hi NYC

It sounds like the visa you're referring to is a Tourist Visa - this will give 60 days (although duration is dependant on immigration officer at the Thai border).  An application can then be made in Thailand to extend this visa by another 30 days.  It is possible to obtain a dual entry tourist visa - with which you can leave Thailand (possibly after 90 days) and then return and start the 60/90 day process again.  However, I do not know if dual entry tourist visas are granted in neighboring countries.

I'm planning to head to Penang myself next month, so I await any further replies to your post with interest.  Meanwhile, some info on a visa run to Laos.

I made a trip to Vienchang for a tourist visa in July.  I found it hassle-free and a nice quiet "city" to stay for a few days.

Costs: train approx 1400Baht return Bangkok to NongKhai (tuk-tuk from train station to the border).  Taxis about 400 Baht return Laos border to Vienchang. Accommodation in Laos about 600 Baht per night, 3 nights (aircon/TV).  Not sure on visa price now.

Tips:  

Don't bother with Laos visa "services" offered on the Thai side of border - the form for a Laos visa can be completed at the border.

Thai Baht accepted in the majority of places, small  

kiosks may only accept Laos Kip

Get to the Thai Embassy/Consulate EARLY (7:30 or 8  

am).

Most restaurants/bars close about 10:30pm.

I didn't see any ATMs

Best Wishes

Dan.

Thanks a lot for your info Dan. I appreciate it. I have to leave tomorrow and still trying to decide what to do. Your Lao idea sounds interesting....and Im seriously considering going that route....mostly just because I've never been there.

But, to enter Lao, do I just get a visa at the border?

If you enter Lao via Nong Khai and Friendship Bridge you can get a visa on arrival. It costs 1500 Thai Baht (or 30 USDollars if you have them) you require 2 passport size photographs for the visa. Visa on arrival is valid for 14 days. Visa on arrival is not available at all entry points into Lao but if you fly to Vietienne you can get one on arrival also.

(Do not use the agents who approach you on the Thai side of Friendship bridge, you do not need them, Visa purchase is simple and the Immigration people will speak to you in English, The agents will try to charge you 2000 baht to get a visa, making 500 baht for themselves for doing  nothing.)

Hope this is of help to you :o

You could fly to Vientiane for 3500 baht return fare: http://www.laoairlines.com/updateweb.htm

An alternative would be Singapore; http://www.thaiembsingapore.org/

A return flight would cost about 5000 baht.

Another option is Cambodia; http://www.mfa.go.th/embassy/phnompenh/

Flights from 6000 baht return.

Applying for a double or triple entry would make the trip more cost effective.