Forum Search Enabled Again

george

We have taken the forum search engine offline for the moment due to extreme traffic and server load.

/Admin

It used to worry me about how quick your search engine was and what effect it had on your servers. I used to work on a system in the UK that had a very user friendly search engine, but we discovered that if more than about 5 users tried to search the database (which was totally memory resident) at the same time it would use up so much processor power that critical functions would be adversely affected. So it had to be redesigned to remove the problem.

I am still getting the "Moment" message ... 2 days later ...

Is that Correct?

Bill

Can you remind us what the problem is, again?

Too much Marmite caused the problem RDN. :D Sawasdee pee mai. :o

:D:D:D You been at the G&T's again Doc? :D:D

Not then ... but now ....... maybe. Happy New Year :D

I used Google when the search engine was offline. Surprising how I could find stuff by using a member's name and a few keywords I remembered...

You are too clever Penz. Happy New Year :D

I have a Firefox extension called "Knowledge Fractal" - it's brilliant! You can set it up so that when you highlight a member's name, it does a Google search for that member, and the first thing it comes up with is the member's profile. Very useful. For example, if I highlight Doctor P, I get this: http://www.google.com/search?q=dr_Pat_Pong...ww.thaivisa.com

As I said, very useful! :D:D:D:D:D:o:D

Happy New Year to one and all!

I used Google when the search engine was offline. Surprising how I could find stuff by using a member's name and a few keywords I remembered...

You are too clever Penz. Happy New Year :D

I have a Firefox extension called "Knowledge Fractal" - it's brilliant! You can set it up so that when you highlight a member's name, it does a Google search for that member, and the first thing it comes up with is the member's profile. Very useful. For example, if I highlight Doctor P, I get this: http://www.google.com/search?q=dr_Pat_Pong...ww.thaivisa.com

As I said, very useful! :D:D:D:D:D:o:D

Happy New Year to one and all!

Happy Happies to you to Marmite. That extension is something else. Thanks for that tip :D