Koh Lanta Affected?

Bates

Hello all,

First of all my honest condolances to all the families that lost their relatives, friends, beloved ones... it's a very very sad tragedy that will stay in our thoughts for years ! Luckely my girlfriend is ok as she is in Chiang Mai.

Any of you have more information about Koh Lanta and Ao Nang?

On 19 february i'm leaving Belgium for Chiang Mai and on 25th we were planning a nice calm holiday at Koh Lanta (5 nights) and 1 night at Ao Nang.. Now what can I expect there? Should I cancel it? Will the island be a mess? Will the situation be stabelised by that time?

Thanks in advance..

Bates

Bates,

According to the information from the residents on Koh Lanta, the island has suffered only minor damage. Most of the structures and resorts are undamaged. The infrastructure, elctricity, phones, etc, are all functioning. There are no deaths reported, no persons missing, and only minor injuries..

This website is in Swedish, but at least you can check out the pictures of the wave and the resulting damage.

As one resident put it: " The island is open for turism.."

Don't cancel your trip there, you'll be OK on Koh Lanta.

Don't have any information on Ao Nang though...

Art

Edited by SpaceKadet

I have just been updated that there were some deaths, at least 2 drowned on Klong Dow Beach. Many of the injured have been moved off the island by helicopter.

Art

Ok thnx for the info, but that won't stop me from going there in 1,5 month :o

Good for you Bates. the best thing everyone can do is keep coming. Thats way you are supporting people with their business. If you know off anyone who is thinking sbout cancelling their trips. then tell them to come.

Good for you Bates. the best thing everyone can do is keep coming. Thats way you are supporting people with their business. If you know off anyone who is thinking sbout cancelling their trips. then tell them to come.

I'm working on it... I know a couple here who planned coming to Phuket with Thomas Cook to Phuket. They cancelled now because Thomas Cook travel company cancelled all holiday to Phuket until 31/03 !! What a crap company !

Now they are going to the Carribean.. althought I suggested them to visit Samui, Chiang Mai, Bangkok, etc... Phuket is not 100% Thailand you know... All people think they have seen Thailand if they go to Phuket but yet my opinion is that you have to see the country itselve (Ayutthaya, Chiang Mai, Bangkok, etc...)

Anyway, let them go to the Carribean and stay on a 5km beach where nobody is allowed to exit the territory :o

Edited by Bates