Tourist Found Dead On Koh Phangan

sbk

Tourist found dead after island rave party

By SURAT THANI

THE NATION

Published on January 12, 2009

Police are hunting for the person believed responsible for the death of a German woman at the full-moon rave on Ko Pha-ngan at the weekend.

"An investigation suggests she might have been raped and killed," Maj Pissanu Bia-kaew, a Tourist Police inspector, said.

The tourist, in her late 30's and known only as Anstris, was found dead on a beach stripped from the waist up and showing clear bruises on her neck.

Police believe she came to the island to enjoy the party on Saturday night, which attracted about 10,000 revellers.

Colonel Charoon U-chuparp, superintendent of Ko Pha-ngan Police Station, said local and tourist police were now trying to find the murderer. "We will bring the culprit to justice," he said.

Charoon also expressed concern that the case would hurt Ko Pha-ngan's image and tourism industry.

Source: The Nation

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to the Thai Rath article as well as reports from locals, she was not a tourist but had lived on the island for a while. According to Thai Rath, she had rented a house here last year for 6 months, and had recently returned to a rented house near the police station. According to the Thai Rath report, she had had a drink in town (presumably Thong Sala) and had returned to her house. She was found with her money and passport near her body in Nai Wok on the beach, according to the Thai Rath report.

Colonel Charoon U-chuparp, superintendent of Ko Pha-ngan Police Station, said local and tourist police were now trying to find the murderer. "We will bring the culprit to justice," he said.

Sad news,for her family, the island,and the full moon party's. :o

Trying too find the culprit out of 10,000 visitors,must be like trying too find a needle in a haystack.

Sad to read this kind of news.

My condolence to the family of the victim.

Police found the victim on a beach around Wok Tum* (according to the thai newspaper).

The murder could be or couldn't be related to Full Moon Party.

I only hope police will do something and don't put the usual blanket on the news...

Edit :

*Wok Tum is a 15 Km North of Haad Rin and about 3 Km north of Thong Sala

Edited by angiud

Thailand's full-moon party claims German victim

Thai police are investigating the possible murder of a German woman whose body was found on Phangan in the aftermath of one of the island's notorious full-moon parties, police said Monday.

The body of Astrid Al-Assaad Schachmer, 45, was discovered Sunday morning floating in shallow water off a beach on Phangan, 430 kilometres south of Bangkok.

"She was found shirtless but wearing jeans, and there was about 600 baht (17 dollars) in her pockets," said Phangan Superintendant Police Colonel Jarun Uchupap in a telephone interview with Deutsche Presse-Agentur (DPA).

"There was no water found in her lungs so we suspect she was killed before being thrown in the water," said Jarun.

Police have sent Schachmer's body to Bangkok for an autopsy to discover the cause of death and determine whether she was raped.

According to Schachmer's passport, the German national had spent four months in Thailand last year. Jarun said she was believed to be a frequent visitor to Phangan Island, which is notorious for its all-night, drug-crazed, full-moon parties that draw thousands of foreign tourists.

- DPA / 2009-01-12

Very sad, reminds me of the Katherine Horton case on Samui. :o

The local police tried to me the case go cold and forgotten.

Eventually after alot of publicity in England DSI came fro Bangkok and solved the case.

The police chief was transferred to desk job in Surathanni.

Eventually after alot of publicity in England DSI came fro Bangkok and solved the case.

they caught the ' suspected killers ' about 6 days later? as i remember they took them back to the scene, 2 fisherman if corrected.

they caught the ' suspected killers ' about 6 days later? as i remember they took them back to the scene, 2 fisherman if corrected.

Story here: Katherine Horton

and here: Timeline

Edited by PoorSucker

very sad...

recently as i mentioned the mother of a friend was beaten, robbed, and raped in her bungalow on KPG. the thais told her to keep it quiet because "mai pen rai".

i have little faith in the KPG police doing much at all to solve this crime. RIP.

In the interim, it's really starting to look like yet another foreigner murdered...

Tourist found dead after island rave party

Surat Thani - Police are hunting for the person believed responsible for the death of a German woman at the full-moon rave on Ko Pha-ngan at the weekend.

"An investigation suggests she might have been raped and killed," Major Pissanu Bia-kaew, a Tourist Police inspector, said.

The tourist, in her late 30's and known only as Anstris, was found dead on a beach stripped from the waist up and showing clear bruises on her neck.

Police believe she came to the island to enjoy the party on Saturday night, which attracted about 10,000 revellers.

Charoon also expressed concern that the case would hurt Ko Pha-ngan's image and tourism industry.

- The Nation / 2009-01-12

Thailand's full-moon party claims German victim

Thai police are investigating the possible murder of a German woman whose body was found on Phangan in the aftermath of one of the island's notorious full-moon parties, police said Monday.

The body of Astrid Al-Assaad Schachmer, 45, was discovered Sunday morning floating in shallow water off a beach on Phangan, 430 kilometres south of Bangkok.

"She was found shirtless but wearing jeans, and there was about 600 baht (17 dollars) in her pockets," said Phangan Superintendant Police Colonel Jarun Uchupap in a telephone interview with Deutsche Presse-Agentur,dpa.

Continued here: The Nation

So very sad..

Condolances to her family and friends.

I do hope they find the killer/killers but that is perhaps to much to ask for..

When they find the killers, how often is it in fact the real killer and not just someone they get to admit to a crime they did not do?

Just to make it look good, i mean and for the tourists to see that they actually can find criminals.

Girlx:

Did they really say "mai pen rai" to a crime like the one you mentioned about your friends mother?????

That is so sick!

Then, what does it take to make them do their job properly?

Is it lack of incompetence and knowledge or lack of resources??

Honestly, I would really like to know.

I remember when we lived in Lamai a few years back. There was a man being killed at a hotel nearby.

So many people was running in and out of that hotelroom touching his body, his things, the glass doors, etc... so when the forensics finally came from Suratthani all evidence were ruined. They said it was suicide but everyone knows that he could not have comitted suicide by strangeling himself (unless he hung himself which they say he didn´t) and then put a seveneleven plastic bag over your head afterwards. The cleaning lady found him laying on the bed with a plastic bag on his head.

The autonom nervalsystem just doesn´t work like that that is basic biology for heavens sake!

So weird..

Take care.

/comehome

THAI police said today they had arrested a Thai man for the murder of a female German tourist at the weekend during a 'full moon party' on the southern island of Koh Phangnan.

Police said the suspect, whose name was withheld, had confessed to killing 46-year-old Munich resident Astrid Al-Assaad-Schachner on Saturday night because she had been stalking him.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story...1-12377,00.html

Man held over 'full moon party' murder

THAI police said today they had arrested a Thai man for the murder of a female German tourist at the weekend during a 'full moon party' on the southern island of Koh Phangnan.

Police said the suspect, whose name was withheld, had confessed to killing 46-year-old Munich resident Astrid Al-Assaad-Schachner on Saturday night because she had been stalking him.

Ms Al-Assaad-Schachner was a regular visitor to Thailand last year, sometimes staying for several weeks to join in the monthly parties to celebrate the arrival of the full moon.

Each month the 24-hour beach parties, known for their wild mixture of drink and drugs, attract as many as 10,000 revellers and are nearly always followed by reports of criminal activity, ranging from theft and drug abuse to rape and murder.

news.com.au

http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/story/0,21...432-950,00.html

Man held over 'full moon party' murder

........ had confessed to killing 46-year-old Munich resident Astrid Al-Assaad-Schachner on Saturday night because she had been stalking him.....

Unbelievable!

P.S. can the 2 threads be fused?