Blood Donations..

LivinLOS

I have already posted about attempting to give blood in Patong and Wachira hospitals..

Basically after trying, they dont want my blood and the general impression was they did not have any blood shortage and were only mildly in need of AB (neg I think but unsure).. My family seemed to believe I am O RH but the Hospital say I am O+.

Yet I keep seeing pleas online for blood donors.. I just got an email 5 mins ago stating that

"There is an urgent need for blood, particularly groups A, O, RH negative at the National Blood Center"

So whats happening ?? Is it one hand not knowing what the other is doing or what ??

As Said in another thread it probably depends on which hospital you go to, some seem to have less then others.

It also takes resources to collect the blood and maybe hospitals are deciding not to invest in that but in treating injured when they have ample supply.

Mind you that news always comes later then the original need , so maybe it has been filled already.

I've taken the request for blood donors also back off the pinned topics.

I would say currently check with the hospital you intend to go to before, it might save you a trip.

Of course situations can change again, we will respond with a new call for donors if we get the word.

I have already posted about attempting to give blood in Patong and Wachira hospitals..

Basically after trying, they dont want my blood and the general impression was they did not have any blood shortage and were only mildly in need of AB (neg I think but unsure).. My family seemed to believe I am O RH but the Hospital say I am O+.

Yet I keep seeing pleas online for blood donors.. I just got an email 5 mins ago stating that

"There is an urgent need for blood, particularly groups A, O, RH negative at the National Blood Center"

So whats happening ?? Is it one hand not knowing what the other is doing or what ??

Maybe they need blood in other areas - rather than just in the Phuket hospitals?

The Red Cross in Bangkok is still asking for RH negative blood. In a radio interview at midday the head of the Red Cross said that although they aren't receiving any requests for blood from the South today, they still need it for New Year - meaning they need a good stock to deal with casualties of the annual road carnage over the New Year holiday.

But the point seems to be that wachira is a collection / storage / distro point / blood bank.. If they dont need it and collect it who does ??

Just more confusion.

You are correct mate, the place is chaotic. I realise there are many people all over Phuket helping as best they can, but there is no one managing the staff of volunteers and everyone seems to be just taking up space.

The Thai volunteers who have speak English on their chest, cannot speak very good English and the foreigners who have Thai/language on their chest cant speak Thai....... I realise they are trying to all help but if your not proficient in the language go away and make space for someone who is, - they are not taking any more interpretors because they have enough. :o

Edited by Tornado

You are correct mate, the place is chaotic. I realise there are many people all over Phuket helping as best they can, but there is no one managing the staff of volunteers and everyone seems to be just taking up space.

The Thai volunteers who have speak English on their chest, cannot speak very good English and the foreigners who have Thai/language on their chest cant speak Thai....... I realise they are trying to all help but if your not proficient in the language go away and make space for someone who is, - they are not taking any more interpretors because they have enough.  :o

Yes, chaotic is the word. And as I wrote on another thread, Wachira doesn't need blood right now, but it's probably a good idea to keep checking - maybe once a week - until the chaos settles down.

A question springs to mind considering the scale of the prostitution industry and relatively high number of HIV cases in LOS:

How do they deal with the potential of receiving HIV-contaminated blood in situations such as this (and in normal situations)?

As I understand it (but I may be wrong) there is no way to see if a person's blood contains the HIV virus if the person is only in the first stages of infection.

A question springs to mind considering the scale of the prostitution industry and relatively high number of HIV cases in LOS:

How do they deal with the potential of receiving HIV-contaminated blood in situations such as this (and in normal situations)?

As I understand it (but I may be wrong) there is no way to see if a person's blood contains the HIV virus if the person is only in the first stages of infection.

All blood is tested for HIV & Hepatitis etc before it is depatched. Normal operating procedure these days.

I went to the Red Cross Centre in BK yesterday (weds).

There was a big queue of Thais (100+) donating blood and they were taking it.

RH- was set up as a separate 'express lane' with maybe 20 waiting and 12 donating at any time. They seemed keen to receive RH-

The papers say that the hospitals have enough RH+, but they aren't making a big announcement as they are topping up reserves for the traditional New Year carnage on the roads.

I guess that they want to keep up the supply of RH- as there must still be a big demand for it and very few registered donors and not many stocks. On Tuesday, the news channels were still making urgent requests for RH- donors and I would be surprised if they have gone from 'desperately low' to 'completely full' in a single day.

I went to the Red Cross Centre in BK yesterday (weds).

There was a big queue of Thais (100+) donating blood and they were taking it.

RH- was set up as a separate 'express lane' with maybe 20 waiting and 12 donating at any time. They seemed keen to receive RH-

The papers say that the hospitals have enough RH+, but they aren't making a big announcement as they are topping up reserves for the traditional New Year carnage on the roads.

I guess that they want to keep up the supply of RH- as there must still be a big demand for it and very few registered donors and not many stocks. On Tuesday, the news channels were still making urgent requests for RH- donors and I would be surprised if they have gone from 'desperately low' to 'completely full' in a single day.

Thanks very much for the update. If anyone else has up to date news - or knows of any hospital asking for blood donors - please post it here.

Not many hospitals are taking blood donations.

I was at Bangkok Christian and they definitely weren't taking and they had never been.

The Red Cross is the place to go (apart from Chulakorn Hospital)

UPDATE

Just spoke to my friend who is following the situation on the TV carefully. According to the news yesterday: (maybe a mod can highlight this)

All blood types are still required.

Especially A RH-. if you are this blood type, please donate now as they are very short

Edited by spog

...........So what's happening ?? Is it one hand not knowing what the other is doing or what ??

...or one blood bank not knowing what the other ones need.

God, this is so typically 'TIT' - makes my blood boil (pun not intended).

If you're RH negative, check with your local hospital. If they don't want your blood, ask them if they know whether other hospitals or organisations want it. Please report here what they say - it might give us an idea of whose "statements" are worth listening to.

If you find a hospital that wants your blood, PLEASE POST it here, so others can go there.

RDN

It is the Red Cross where you should donate

Most of the hospitals are not and have not been able to handle donors.

The only exception is Chulakorn hospital.

If you want to donate (and if your are A-, please, please do). Contact the Red Cross

Edited by spog