Koh Chang

Franklin

If best = quickest then either fly Samui - Bkk - Trat or Samui - Pattaya and then by road to Koh Chang.

As to whether White Sand beach or Lonely Beach is better it kind of depends on what type of accommodation you are looking for. Also consider Klong Prao and Kai Bae beaches.

Thanks.

Ive been told that I should fly from samui to bkk, then fly bkk to Trat, Ferry to Koh Chang.

Is this correct?

Looking for accomodation of 3-4 star, Siam Beach Resort and Bhuyima Resort (I think). Whats the closest beach to Lonely beach - within walkin distance.

Cheers

Edited by Franklin

Thanks.

Ive been told that I should fly from samui to bkk, then fly bkk to Trat, Ferry to Koh Chang.

<deleted>....you have got to be kidding me... :o .....you can drive from BKK and be on Koh Chang in 3 hours tops from BKK

If there was a flight koh Samui to Trat...that I would understand...but fly Koh Samui to BKK and then get on a plane to Trat....think some travel agent is taking the p*ss with that flight...

How about a flight from Koh Samui to U-tapoa (Sattahip) and travel by road to Trat...time wise...2.0 - 2.5 hours to Koh Chang by road via Rayong

Thanks.

<deleted>....you have got to be kidding me... :o .....you can drive from BKK and be on Koh Chang in 3 hours tops from BKK

If there was a flight koh Samui to Trat...that I would understand...but fly Koh Samui to BKK and then get on a plane to Trat....think some travel agent is taking the p*ss with that flight...

How about a flight from Koh Samui to U-tapoa (Sattahip) and travel by road to Trat...time wise...2.0 - 2.5 hours to Koh Chang by road via Rayong

Yeah probably a bit expensive (Ive been told that I should fly from samui to bkk, then fly bkk to Trat, Ferry to Koh Chang) but in terms of time wise, that it will most likely be quicker.

How much would it cost approximately from U-Tapoa to trat travelling by road?

Taxis at U-Tapao are ridiculously expensive. You'd probably negotiate a better price from BKK. Around 3-4,000 one way.

Direct buses at U-T non existant,or you could get a local bus to Rayong, then get a fast bus to Trat (around 4-5 hrs total, but maybe more depending on connections), and then you need to get to the ferry. There would probably be direct buses from BKK (~4-5 hr),

Best bet IMHO is to rent a car at BKK airport (from 1k/d) and drive (3-4 hr), but it depends how long you want to go for.

Not sure if rentals are readily available at U-T.

Or maybe stay over for one night in Pats, and get a minibus from there.

Edited by steve73

Thanks.

Yeah probably a bit expensive (Ive been told that I should fly from samui to bkk, then fly bkk to Trat, Ferry to Koh Chang) but in terms of time wise, that it will most likely be quicker.

I would disagree in all probability catching two flights from koh Samui to Trat will take you longer, if you consider you will be sitting around BKK airport waiting for your flight...which ever way you go you got to catch the ferry....price wise have seen it advertised from Pattaya to Koh Chang driving - THB 1800, I always drive myself to Koh Chang, so you would have to investigate the prices a bit more, but certainly if you go via UTP, you will need to arrange for the road transport to pick you up at UTP prior to arriving as there is no taxi rank there...

Thanks.

I would disagree in all probability catching two flights from koh Samui to Trat will take you longer, if you consider you will be sitting around BKK airport waiting for your flight...which ever way you go you got to catch the ferry....price wise have seen it advertised from Pattaya to Koh Chang driving - THB 1800, I always drive myself to Koh Chang, so you would have to investigate the prices a bit more, but certainly if you go via UTP, you will need to arrange for the road transport to pick you up at UTP prior to arriving as there is no taxi rank there...

Yeah, I didnt really take that into consideration waiting around BKK airport. lol

But I've only going to spend 3 nights in Koh Chang, so didnt really want to waste my time driving around (wasting a whole day).

So I thought it would be quicker to fly to Trat and then catch the ferry straight away, as the ferry is at Trat, correct? How far is the pier from Trat airport?

When you exit Hwy 3 onto Hwy 3156, going to the first ferry point at Ao Thammachat, you pass the airport, which is only about 10 kms from this ferry point.

Thanks.

Does anyone know approximately how much it will cost for the ferry from Ao Thammachat to Koh Chang? I heard its about 40 mins or so to Koh Chang by ferry, anywhere I can obtain further information. I can purchase these ferry tickets at any travel agencies. Wheres the cheapest travel agency?

Ferry to KC was around 60bt each way last time I did it, a couple of years ago. You just get tickets at the peir. Then a bath bus on KC will set you back 100 bt to Whitesands and more the further you go, up to about 250 to Bang Bao.

Check out

http://www.iamkohchang.com/

for pretty upto date local info.

http://www.iamkohchang.com/Transfer_to_Koh...ng-transfer.htm

for specifics travelling to info.

Ferry to KC was around 60bt each way last time I did it, a couple of years ago. You just get tickets at the peir. Then a bath bus on KC will set you back 100 bt to Whitesands and more the further you go, up to about 250 to Bang Bao.

Check out

http://www.iamkohchang.com/

for pretty upto date local info.

http://www.iamkohchang.com/Transfer_to_Koh...ng-transfer.htm

for specifics travelling to info.

Thanks for the website, very informative.

It says the fastest way to get there is also flying...

Cant wait to go elephant trekking!!

Also is Bailin Bay within walking distance to Lonely beach?

Cheers

Edited by Franklin

Thanks for the website, very informative.

It says the fastest way to get there is also flying...

Flying will be the fastest way to get there, based on the fact you will be in the air about 20 minutes from BKK...but factoring in waiting around at the airport in BKK... it will not be the quickest way to get there...

Also based on the flight/transport prices quotes....they are taking the p*ss...

Return flight - THB 6000

Transport to and from airport in Trat to ferry terminal - THB700 + THB 200 airport tax

THB 6900....I can get a return flight to Singapore for that....

Door to door, from a hotel in Bangkok to a hotel on Koh Chang, flying is about 30 mins to an hour quicker than travelling by taxi / private car.

The songtaew should be no more than 50 baht to White Sand Beach - 100 is way too much.

Bailan is about 15 mins walk along a windy narrow road to Lonely Beach. No pavement so you will be dodging trucks and crazed pick up truck drivers. It's Ok in the daytime, but at night you might want to splash out a few baht and pay for a songtaew.

Doubt that you can be on Koh Chang within 3 hours if you drive from Bkk. Foot down you're looking at 3 & a half hours driving time from Bkk to the ferry pier. I usually figure on 4 hours. Then 30 mins ferry crossing. ferries every 45 mins. Then 15-45 mins drive to your hotel once you are on Koh Chang.

Door to door, from a hotel in Bangkok to a hotel on Koh Chang, flying is about 30 mins to an hour quicker than travelling by taxi / private car.

Problem is the OP is coming from Koh Samui...not a Hotel in BKK...

Even that being said do you think paying THB 3000 + one way for a flight from BKK to Trat to save an hour good value for money..???..personally think its taking the p*ss...

Still standby my suggestion to fly Koh Samui to UTP and get ground transport to Koh Chang

Last time I went I stayed at AANA (Ao proa beach). I went around the island checking out many resorts and hotels and I'd say this is the best deal. This is like a 4-star hotel for 3000+ a night (internet rate) for the same price you get shitty hotels on white sand beach. I went over a year ago so maybe the price has gone up. The only problem is that this hotel is a bit far from the city and restuarant areas so you need to rent a bike or a car.

Problem is the OP is coming from Koh Samui...not a Hotel in BKK...

Even that being said do you think paying THB 3000 + one way for a flight from BKK to Trat to save an hour good value for money..???..personally think its taking the p*ss...

Still standby my suggestion to fly Koh Samui to UTP and get ground transport to Koh Chang

BKK-Trat promotion costs 1.900 o/w

first flight USM-BKK 2700

Utapao-Trat appr. 300Kms, never 2-2,5 hours by car

Utapao-Trat appr. 300Kms, never 2-2,5 hours by car

Think we will agree to disagree as have done it in 2.5 hours at least 4 times over the last 7 years.

I agree that Bangkok to Trat is 315km, but Sattahip to Trat is not 300km

Edited by Soutpeel