Tourism Ministry Proposes Waiving Visa Fees For 6 Months

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The VAT cut is of course going to the deep pockets of the hotel operators.

And that is where they are needed. I am not sure you have any idea what an financial overhead a 200-room-hotel creates; this overhead must be paid further, even if the hotel has only 50% occupancy -- or you sack a good part of your staff, reducing your costs substantially thereby. Nobody wants to sack poeple -- at least qualified ones -- as they are not very easy to come by when they are really needed.

These measures are not only to help tourists, but to get tourism operators into the next year without having the 900,000-1,000,000 jobless that are expected if the tourism sector cannot be stabilized.

New measures to stimulate tourism, agricultural sectors

BANGKOK: -- Economic ministers on Wednesday issued new measures to stimulate the tourism and agricultural sectors, a day after the cabinet approved a Bt115 billion supplementary budget.

Deputy government Spokesman Puttipong Punnakan said the economic ministerial meeting had approved the waiving of all visa fees for three months, to help tourism. It was to cost the government Bt1 billion. The Finance Ministry will also assist business operators in the tourism sector, through a tax cut and measures to alleviate their debts.

In addition, the National Economic and Social Development Board (NESDB) was assigned to study the possibility of reducing airport and landing fees. The Ministry of Transport will also outline measures to prevent airport closures in the future and ask airlines to reduce airfares to Thailand.

To assist farmers, the Finance Ministry set aside a budget for palm, maize and rubber mortgages through the Bank for Agriculture and Agricultural Cooperatives.

NESDB secretary general Amphon Kitti-amphon said it was necessary to assist farmers as they were likely to suffer from a sharp decline in produce prices.

Prime minister Abhisit Vejjajiva affirmed the government’s stimulus package would be accessible to all people.

“The government’s aid package aims to cover as many people as possible in all sectors, especially the elderly and in education which have long been neglected. I assure the assistance covers all people in all parts of the country.” said the premier.

-- TNA 2009-01-15

Heh heh, he said "stimulate tourism" hehe hahaha!

No need to waive entrance fees to National parks - just charge 1 price for all, instead of dual pricing

I sent an e-mail to the TAT asking about this an have not received a reply...I can't say I'm surprised.

There have been thousands of Topics and Threads discussing your complaints.

This Topic is about the Thais going after the 'desirable' tourists.

"the main target markets are China, India, the Middle East, Singapore, Hong Kong, South Korea, and Japan."

It does NOT surprise me they are NOT going after farang tourists. They want tourists not those who want to cheap out here for the rest of their lives. That is the ROOT of this Topic.

Visitors from the target countries you mention

The coutries were NOT MY 'mention'. It is a cut and paste from the OP. The Thai Tourism Minister 'mentioned' that list. Read the OP.

Every country in the WORLD has discounts for the locals on events, ferries, education, museums, and many other things. The ONLY group I've ever seen complain about it are the farangs of Thai Visa. Moderators allow this Thai bashing then silence me for being 'inflamatory' aka telling the truth. I am guessing they would find Hawaii more to their liking!

Find ONE Japanese, Chinese, Korean or any on the Minsiter's List that complains in emails to TAT about not getting to pay Thai pricing!!?? sheeshhh

Okay then, I gotta get my 2 cents worth, or more, in here. First, do they sell Eggo's in Thailand? haha! Next, the "target" countries, unlike those countries that expat to Thailand, aren't flooded themselves with Thai's that not only get to go there and live, but also work or get money from their Farang, then send the money to Thailand. Namely Australia, UK and U.S. primarily. As for me being one that want's to "cheap out" here in Thailand the rest of my life, I bring money every month into this economy and that is exactly what adds that 8% to Thailands GDP, I don't send it home. If I do work for the lower wages offered here, I won't likely send it back to the U.S. and I'll likely be doing something that helps Thailand compete in the Global marketplace somehow. Frankly, Thailand should be grateful to have me here, as well as the many others that "trade" places with Thai's that go to our countries and get to live at a higher standard. The "target" countries are along the same standard as Thailand, so why would they want to stay here to "cheap out"?

I also don't see any grand Christian Church's in the middle of Bkk, maybe I'm wrong, but I do see Temples all over the United States. Next, I've been a lot of places, and everywhere in U.S. and in western countries, dual pricing is illegal. It's called discrimination, you know, based on gender, age, race, national origin, ethnic background or sexual orientation. I have my own solution to dual pricing, I don't go places that have dual pricing. The few times I have gone with Thai friends, they know that whatever the total price of all the tickets is will be divided equally among us. So the 4 Thai's I was with actually paid 4/5ths of the increase charged to me. Therefore we all paid the same price. Otherwise I wouldn't go.

Are you even Thai? Or just wish you were?

Ay

:o

I agree. The poster before you has his head up his A**. NOWHERE I have EVER been to in the world, including other Third World Countries, have dual pricing and preferential rates for the locals. and I have been to more than 50 countries on every continent.

Dual pricing is a Thai invention and it SUCKS.

Long time visitor to this Forum and look forward to my daily...bi weekly updates...thank you members yo have help visits now 14th or 15th since 2002.

Since the demise of the $AUD - Baht now around 25b. Still works out $4 a stubbie. or $5 a shot..

But Airfares and Hotel/Guesthouse reducing the rate is the best news since......

Cheers George and team keep up good work..maybe see you at a Thai Visa BBQ

Roy

Noted a few comments on the 15 / 30 day visa on arrival.

Shouldn,t it be 30 days coming in via air and 15 days via land ???

As for those who think the strong baht has nothing to do with the down side.

There are so many places nearer home now that offer better holidays and cheaper prices ect. ect.

Why travel long haul when you can have a holiday in the sun short haul, plus non of the Visa and communication problems ect. ect. we all experience from time to time, even as long term visitors.

My post is in reference to tourist by the way, which is what the thread is based upon.

marshbags :o

Edited by marshbags

The Baht is not strong, the currencies in the west are weak, however the real way to stimulate tourism and exports would be to devalue the Baht. ( I did read somewhere that this was being discussed, don't ask me where as I can't recall where) Along with a 90 day tourist Visa on arrival. 90 days will suffice for most "Genuine" Tourists

Most genuine tourists do not complain at paying a few Baht more than a local to enter a National Park or attraction.

Additionally if a "tourist" requires an extension why not allow an extension of this say for anothe 20 60 or 90 days within Thailand with a rising scale of fee's dependant on the extension period, henerate fees in Thailand not at the Cambodian side of the border.

Edited by myfriendyou

hotels give thai prices and farang prices.. its a marketing ploy.. if thai people didnt think like that they wouldnt do it.. dont blame the hotel.

Working in the industry, I must admit I am again and again stunned how Thais do approach the receptionist, being firmly convinced that, because they are Thai, there should be a special discount i for them!? :o

Fees of 3 months' visas slashed

The Council of Economic Ministers ruled to slash fees for all kinds of visas for foreingers visiting the country for three months, effective on January 20.

hmmm... no specifics on precisely how much they are slashing, but good news.... if it actually happens next week.

Hope that means 2 can fly for less than £700 from Heathrow, just what my wallet was waiting for lol

If they really want to revive tourism and attract foreigners they should:

• Offer a 12 month free tourism visa on arrival
  • Introduce a Malaysia or Filipino style long stay visa system with real property rights.

Otherwise, they're just not serious.

Fascinating how "The Land of Smiles" can shoot itself in the foot by closing their airport stranding and alienating thousands of Westerners during the holiday season; then realize "Hey wait a minute, we need tourists, let's try to put a 10 cent bandaid on this massive problem that actually requires a tourniquet

Among the measures proposed to revive sector, the ministry will urge Thai Airways International and other carriers to cut fares by 50 per cent to encourage more advanced bookings.

If they can start applying it this week, I think that Thailand will have good amount of visitors from Asia during Chinese New Year.

Well, I'll go to Thailand as well when Thai Airways cut fares by 50% :D

:o I'm just booking a flight for February....I'll see if Thai airlines drops their fare by 50% (yeah sure, when pigs fly). The visa fees don't mean much to me because I usually get a stamp on arrival anyhow, and due to my work schedule I can't take more than 3 weeks at a time in Thailand (somebody's got to pay for the trip by working the rest of the year).

Now what would be nice would be a reduction in the 800,000 Baht retirement requirement....or a 1 year visa for those who can provide proof of family they are supporting in Thailand and want to retire there. I'm over 50, expect to retire soon to Thailand. I have supported a family in Thailand for the last 25 years,and sent 3 children to school (and now one grand-daughter). It rather ticks me off that I have to "prove" myself to the Thai immigration, after I have been the support of 5 people in Thailand since at least 1980.(and I can prove it with bank records). I can make the monetary requirement, but it seems rather a slap in the face after I have effectively supported a family for 25 years. I understand the principal that I should prove I am capable of supporting myself in Thailand as a retiree.

But a one year visa...even with 90 day reporting requirements...that would be nice...if I can show a residence in Thailand....which I pay for anyhow....where I will live with my family and support them....now that would be a nice touch from the Thai immigration. A little recognition for 25 years of support for a Thai family. I don't see it as happening soon however.

It seems that reducing the visa fees for 30 to 90 day tourist visas are intended to bring in tourists from Asian countries...China, Japan, Korea, etc.

Anyhow, it seems like a start in the right direction....we'll just have to see what the practical effect of any "reductions" actually are.

:D

Meanwhile, today I landed at Suvarnabhumi and they told all foreign passengers they could get only a 15 DAY tourist visa upon arrival. That's a great way to encourage tourism, reduce the upon arrival visa by half.

Who makes decisions in this country anyway and how can Immigration change the rules here willy nilly without promulgating regulations and holding public hearings AS PRESCRIBED BY THAI LAW.

I thought it was 15 days by land, still 30 by air. If they have changed this, they have shot themselves in the head, not the foot, and letting folks into a park for free won't help. Anyone else come in today?

As for Thai airways cutting airfares, I should hope so, for there sake.

I just had a look at flights online from heathrow to bangkok return, Economy.....

Qatar, Emirates and Gulf Air are approx £650 to £700 to fly Feb 22, return March 7th.

Thai Airways quote £2,675.

They are not that great! They don't even have watch on demand entertainment like Emirates.

i hope they also bring down the real estate prices , as i think they are over rated this will bring a more realistic value of property in an time like this and certainly in a country as Thailand. as it also would give the Thai's a chance of survival as many Thais have rubber plantation's and the rubber price is rock bottom so they are suffering too. Thai airways should be able to drop their price i recon the oil price is also rock bottom i believe around 40 us per barrel . and since the spike to 120 US per barrel i have not seen the drop of fuel exise coming down accordingly , a little bit only.

cost of building materials and food also should come down to realistic values as this is also related to the fuel price .. "transport and production cost and so on"

well i hope they all come down , and we can live in a realistic world not a Rich/poor situation.

i feel sorry for all people who lost their jobs in thailand due to the recession , they hardly make any money in the first place. and now Crime will probably go up to the max as everbody needs to eat and when no money / no food you get crime.

i would do anything to survive to if i was in their position..

anyhow , GOOD LUCK TO ALL

Hi,

A friend of mine is coming over at Easter. He sent me an email saying that he could get a direct flight from the UK with Thai Air for £484.00. He went to Flight Center to book. They told him that they no longer use Thai Air as they are in trouble!

jb1

No need to waive entrance fees to National parks - just charge 1 price for all, instead of dual pricing

I always thought that foreigners working here with a work visa should be charged the same price as a Thai since many of us are on Thai style salaries. Seems a bit fairer, especially since I know Thais who are on alot more than I am :o

Meanwhile, today I landed at Suvarnabhumi and they told all foreign passengers they could get only a 15 DAY tourist visa upon arrival. That's a great way to encourage tourism, reduce the upon arrival visa by half.

Who makes decisions in this country anyway and how can Immigration change the rules here willy nilly without promulgating regulations and holding public hearings AS PRESCRIBED BY THAI LAW.

I thought it was 15 days by land, still 30 by air. If they have changed this, they have shot themselves in the head, not the foot, and letting folks into a park for free won't help. Anyone else come in today?

Thats also what I understood it as! Im sure you must be wrong about that. A 30 day visa on arrival at the airport, right?????

I think the Immigration and TAT need to work a little more closely together on tourism in Thailand!

if thailand wants to get tourist, get the baht back to 42 to 1 usd

I remember the days when the US$ was pegged at 25 Baht, and the UK pound was 36 Baht. You all should not be complaining now that's it's 34 and 51.... :o You up 40%

Were price levels the same back then as they are now?

I have no problem with them locking up illegal entrants, but it would be nice if the new government adopted a far more realistic and welcoming attitude towards foreigners seeking to enter and contribute legally and positively to the country. After all, most of the crime in the LOS is committed by Thais, not foreigners, so they should put their own house in order rather than blaming foreigners. As for me, I don't NEED to live in the LOS, but I would like to spend time there, if I felt more welcome, which I currently don't.

Thats also what I understood it as! Im sure you must be wrong about that. A 30 day visa on arrival at the airport, right?????

I think the Immigration and TAT need to work a little more closely together on tourism in Thailand!

"Visa on arrival" and "30 days entry without a visa" are not the same!