Tourism Ministry Proposes Waiving Visa Fees For 6 Months

I have no problem with them locking up illegal entrants, but it would be nice if the new government adopted a far more realistic and welcoming attitude towards foreigners seeking to enter and contribute legally and positively to the country. After all, most of the crime in the LOS is committed by Thais, not foreigners, so they should put their own house in order rather than blaming foreigners. As for me, I don't NEED to live in the LOS, but I would like to spend time there, if I felt more welcome, which I currently don't.

So Bruce, you don't NEED to live here but you do WANT to spend more time here. Would you be willing to pay taxes here?

What is it with you and taxes? Almost every one that lives in thailand, visits thailand or sends money to thailand pays taxes directly or indirectly. You think that only the people that pay income tax benefit thailand ? Do you agree that tourist benefit thailand ? Tourist can get some of the VAT they pay back if they want to go through the hassle but they still benefit thailand even though they do not pay income tax by injecting money into the economy and by paying all of the direct and indirect taxes they are subject too.

I am including a partial list of taxes that are paid in the USA. I would be willing to bet that Thailand has most of these taxes also.

>> Tax his land,

>> Tax his bed,

>> Tax the table

>> At which he's fed.

>>

>> Tax his tractor,

>> Tax his mule,

>> Teach him taxes

>> Are the rule.

>>

>> Tax his work,

>> Tax his pay,

>> He works for peanuts

>> Anyway!

>>

>> Tax his cow,

>> Tax his goat,

>> Tax his pants,

>> Tax his coat.

>>

>> Tax his ties,

>> Tax his shirt,

>> Tax his work,

>> Tax his dirt.

>>

>> Tax his tobacco,

>> Tax his drink,

>> Tax him if he

>> Tries to think.

>>

>> Tax his cigars,

>> Tax his beers,

>> If he cries,

>> Then tax his tears.

>>

>> Tax his car,

>> Tax his gas,

>> Find other ways

>> To tax his ass.

>> Tax all he has

>> Then let him know

>> That you won't be done

>> Till he has no dough.

>>

>> When he screams and hollers,

>> Then tax him some more,

>> Tax him till

>> He's good and sore.

>>

>> Then tax his coffin,

>> Tax his grave,

>> Tax the sod in

>> Which he's laid.

>>

>> Put these words

>> Upon his tomb,

>> " Taxes drove me to my doom..."

>>

>> When he's gone,

>> Do not relax,

>> Its time to apply

>> The inheritance tax.

>>

>> Accounts Receivable Tax

>> Building Permit Tax

>> CDL license Tax

>> Cigarette Tax

>> Corporate Income Tax

>> Dog License Tax

>> Excise Taxes

>> Federal Income Tax

>> Federal Unemployment Tax (FUTA)

>> Fishing License Tax

>> Food License Tax

>> Fuel Permit Tax

>> Gasoline Tax (42 cents per gallon)

>> Gross Receipts Tax

>> Hunting License Tax

>> Inheritance Tax

>> Inventory Tax

>> IRS Interest Charges IRS Penalties (tax on top of tax) Liquor Tax

>> Luxury Taxes Marriage License Tax Medicare Tax Personal Property Tax

>> Property Tax Real Estate Tax Service Charge Tax Social Security Tax

>> Road UsageTax Sales Tax Recre ational Vehicle Tax School Tax State

>> Income Tax State Unemployment Tax (SUTA) Telephone Federal Excise Tax

>> Telephone Federal Universal Service Fee Tax Telephone Federal, State

>> and Local Surcharge Taxes Telephone Minimum Usage Surcharge Tax

>> Telephone Recurring and Non-recurr ing Charges Telephone State and

>> Local Tax Telephone Usage Charge Tax Utility Taxes Vehicle License

>> Registration Tax Vehi cle Sales Tax Watercraft Registration Tax Well

>> Permit Tax Workers Compensation Tax

>>

>> STILL THINK THIS IS FUNNY?

>>

>> Not one of these taxes existed 100 years ago, and our nation was the

>> most prosperous in the world.

>>

>> We had absolutely no national debt, had the largest middle class in

>> the world, and Mom stayed home to raise the kids.

>>

>> What in the hel_l happened? Can you spell "politicians!"

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like them to reduce the outrageous fee of 800,000 baht, charged for people obtaining a retirement visa. It seems far out of proportion to the quota married farang have to have, and thai/farang couples. This year with the drastic exchange rate I can't get my retirement visa. I came here because I couldn't afford to live in my home country and it is getting so that I cannot afford to live here either.

The 800,000 Baht requirement is not a "fee". It is your money to keep! If you can't afford to put 800,000 Baht in the bank then you should not be thinking about retirement! The exchange rate has nothing to do with it.

I know this is off topic but where else would i reply to this post ?

I agree with his point about requiring 800,000 baht in the bank or 65,000 per month for a single retiree. The old saying used to be that 2 can live as cheaply as 1 not 2 can live for 50% that one can live for.

Some people have no choice but to retire. My mother worked until she was 78 but was forced to retire. Notice that he said he can not afford to live in his home country so he came here where it cost less to live. the same house that cost 30,000 baht per month at home can be rented for 3,000 baht per month here if you get away from the big cities. Thailand would benefit greatly by allowing anyone(except criminals) that can bring 40,000 per month from over sees to the country to live here.Up Country Retirement communities could provide jobs for entire villages here if it was allowed but most people that can afford to put 800,000 in the bank will not want to live in a retirement village.

if thailand wants to get tourist, get the baht back to 42 to 1 usd
Actually I see more European tourists than American. It would be much better to make Euro more expensive than $$

Probably due to the fact that America will almost fill all of Europe land wise. 3 full days maybe more on rotating shifts to drive

nonstop one coast to the other Texas almost 2 days speeding to get through it. I wonder how many countries you can go through in Europe in that amount of time.Most Americans don't even travel to other countries & can care less. Hawaii is almost the same weather as Thailand. No bullshit with visas & extensions. I wish my buddies would come down but I understand why . It is pretty nice in some parts of the country!

Crossing Italy take about 3 day's, Spain about 2 day's also. Germany about 2 day's, once you are in a Shengen country no more border control, you can go from skiing in the mountains to a warm sandy beach in a few hours by car.

reading your reaction I'm not surprised that some candidate for Vice President proclaimed that she can see Russia our from her window.

If the state of texas was a country it would rank #40 for land mass. Texas is almost 25% larger than France. It is obvious that you are missing his point. It is that the USA has a huge area in which people that live in the USA can visit without leaving the country or getting a visa or paying air fare. They can experience Arctic conditions, desert conditions sub tropical and whatever without leaving their home country. In the USA you can rent or buy a travel trailer (mobile Home) RV or whatever and travel for years and still not see every thing there is to see. Can a person from Italy, Spain or Germany do that ?

You emphasize his point by stating that it takes 3 days to cross Italy when it takes 3 days to cross the entire USA. I assume the difference is traffic. who wants to spend 3 days sitting in traffic ??? When i travel by car i want to get where i am going and i want to see something other than the bumper of the car in front of me.

if thailand wants to get tourist, get the baht back to 42 to 1 usd

I remember the days when the US$ was pegged at 25 Baht, and the UK pound was 36 Baht. You all should not be complaining now that's it's 34 and 51.... :o You up 40%

Were price levels the same back then as they are now?

Nope. Most of the prices are higher. Some are lower like the hand painted fans in Bor Song but that is due to low demand.

I remember the days when the US$ was pegged at 25 Baht, and the UK pound was 36 Baht. You all should not be complaining now that's it's 34 and 51.... :o You up 40%

Were price levels the same back then as they are now?

Quite honestly price increases here in Thailand over the last 12 years are no more (and likely less) than price increases in the rest of the world. So your argument is completely shot down .... :D One regular place I eat at in Kata has only increased (modestly) the menu prices twice in 12 years, and is still a bargain.

I was here in 1997/1998 and most of the tourist places raised their prices when the baht went from 25 to 40-56 to the $. Their excuse was that it was still cheap compared to our home country. Since 1997 the exchange rate has been going down so the only reason to raise prices would be for increased costs not windfall profit like it was in 1997/1998.

Maybe it is only BKK that is suffering, i just called my travel agent in samui and she is lapping it up with customers flooding through the door. I tried to book a room in a resort and all my favourite ones were full !

Hello Fellow Members. I am a seldom and unskilled poster. Please be forgiving of my novice blunders.

I just came back, with my wife, from Koh Samui, three days ago. We spent a week there. It was her first visit to the island, my second visit. We left with three very distinct impressions.

1. The mid-range, 3 to 4 star, beachside resort hotel was less than 10% occupied yet not heavily discounted.

2. The so-called travel agents were mostly amateurish rip-off scammers with no professional system or connection to the core travel industry. They were simply filaments connected to middle-men. They had a mobile phone, a rented office with chair, table and pretty pictures stuck on the walls. All they offered me, when trying to fly out of Samui to U-Tapao was a code number which I was told I would need to process later, on the net, to aquire our much needed paper or e-tickets to our desired destination. Needless to say, I parted with no money, on that basis. We eventually found, at our 12th attempt, a real agent who could supply the tickets against cash, though his office went down for two hours, during the negotiation, due to a power outage.

3. The prices across the island have escalated beyond all reason.

We shall not be going back there, ever again. I am a Brit ex-pat. My wife is Thai. We live here in Thailand, together. We both share these opinions. We shall seek better value and better service elsewhere.

Signed: Alex8

Alex8, I went to Koh Samui just before Xmas and had the same experience with hotels and I agree entirely with your assessment of Koh Samui. I used to really like going to Koh Samui, but it has got more and more 'scruffy' and poor value. No offence Lix, but the only thing 'flooding' through most travel agents doors is the water that cascades down the drainless roads. Your friend must be very lucky. Would you give us the names of some of these hotels, just for fun we can see if they have any rooms at the moment.

I posted on another thread how I tried to get a discount at the near empty hotel I was staying in (Chaweng Resort) for an extra couple of days and they refused. All the rooms (cabins) near me were empty and I checked on the internet and they were available for days to come.

I live in Thailand and love the place. I just hope they come up with some better ideas than these latest ones which mean nothing to the average tourist. Lets face it, we all know 50 percent reduction of Thai tickets will be off the 'standard' price and have no relationship at all to the price most tourists pay through web sites etc...

Hotels reducng their prices massively would have more impact IF they really reduce them and not just advertise 50 percent off. In the UK recently Travelodge were offering rooms in London for 9 pounds a night, These rooms usually cost anything up to 70 pounds a night. So some promotions like that would get it going again in the resorts IMHO.

Edited by dsfbrit

it is impossible to operate at less than costs for any length of time.

Already most businesses have been operating at a loss and now they are proposing that they operate at a further loss?

This is what is happening in the World - companies and businesses are operating at a loss, shedding staff, downsizing, closing value added services and some eventually closing the doors for a few months or permanently.

The more you prop up this failing system the more it fails.

THis is all smoke and mirrors and at the end of the day there is a bill!

A real bill for rents, wages, resources - whos going to pay?

devalue the baht 20% immediately

and BTW

good luck

Have the prices for office space/condominiums/apartments been reduced? I have witnessed a mentality to increase the rates for both, compensating for loss of revenue. I still am hoping to understand this way of thinking, but it eludes me.

Please waver or at least reduce the extension of visa fee. Also the 15 day border crossing is ridiculous and couldn't have come at a worse time in December. Will this be extended to 30 again? I know sooooo many people that were in Malaysia and decided to go to other countries over the Christmas New Year period instead, hence the evident lack of tourists here in the South! It's always those at the bottom that are most affected!

I and 4 other family members are on way to Las Vegas from Ohio next week. We were all offered free rooms and $160 US (includes taxes and fees) non-stop Round trip airfare.

Likewise, the first week of February, myself and 5 friends are flying from Ohio to Phoenix for 6 days of golf after we were able to secure free rooms, $250 US non-stop Round trip airfare, a rental vehicle for less than any of our previous 5 trips out there, and greens fees that are 1/4 to 1/3 their usual cost.

That is how you bring tourists to your area to spend money. Simple straight forward discounting. Thailand could learn a lesson from all this.

But TiT

In late February I will be departing for LOS to stay for about 13 months up to to forever depending upon how things go and if I can maintain, continue to rent-out or sell my home here in the US.

Yea, my job of 23 years was taken away from me at the end of last April due to economics so I am going on a life adventure. I already have a home in Thailand and have been married to a wonderful Thai lady for over 8 years.

Regards

TOURISM PROPOSALS

Waive visa fees, cut air fares: Tourism and Sports Ministry

The Tourism and Sports Ministry has submitted 13 tourism recovery measures for government approval. The proposals include waiving visa fees, cutting air fares, and reducing airport charges.

Minister Chumpol Silapa-Archa said the proposed measures were handed to the government's economic team yesterday.

"The ministry has compiled [the measures] from the needs and proposals from the private sector," Chumpol said.

The tourism industry, which normally generates about 6-8 per cent of gross domestic product, is suffering from the global economic crisis and last year's eight-day closure of Bangkok's two commercial airports.

Among the measures proposed to revive sector, the ministry will urge Thai Airways International and other carriers to cut fares by 50 per cent to encourage more advanced bookings.

It is also urging the government to waive visa fees for tourists from all countries for six months, with a possible extension of a further six months.

The ministry has also asked the government to reduce value-added tax on hotel room rates for one year, and Airports of Thailand to reduce landing and parking fees at the country's international airports in a bid to persuade more airlines to restore their Thai operations.

Other measures would require government organisations to adjust their budgets for outside meetings and seminars so as to boost domestic tourism, plus a proposal that private companies' tax refunds for meetings and conferences be doubled.

Moreover, hotel operators have asked for an exemption from the annual fee of Bt80 per room they have to pay to the Revenue Department.

Banks, meanwhile, will be encouraged to extend debt-repayment periods for operators in the tourism sector for three years.

The Ministry also plans to promote the major destinations of Phuket, Krabi, and Phang Nga for local tourism by reducing airport taxes and surcharges.

In addition, all national parks should play their part by waiving entrance fees for three years.

The government has also been urged to help workers in the tourism sector, which faces a high risk of increased job losses.

Chumpol said the Ministry would seek an additional budget from the government to assist the tourism sector.

The Cabinet on Tuesday approved Bt1 billion to help tourism and related businesses, but more funding was needed to support the recovery effort.

Prakit Chinamourphong, President of the Thai Hotels Association, said three- and four-star hotels planned to discount room rates by 50 per cent for people visiting the country in February and March.

Among the main target markets are China, India, the Middle East, Singapore, Hong Kong, South Korea, and Japan.

Shopping centres and tourist attractions in Bangkok and other key destinations are also supporting the tourism-recovery campaign.

Most hotels in Bangkok and other major tourist cities are running at lower-than-usual occupancy rates following the airport closures.

New promotion and marketing activities in both local and overseas markets are also planned.

- The Nation / 2009-01-15

I sent this post to the office where i did my O visa last year in New Orleans Louisiana and she said this has not happened yet and they know nothing about it at the US Embassy in Thailand either. We shall see what they do. Salute!

TOURISM PROPOSALS

Waive visa fees, cut air fares: Tourism and Sports Ministry

The Tourism and Sports Ministry has submitted 13 tourism recovery measures for government approval. The proposals include waiving visa fees, cutting air fares, and reducing airport charges.

Minister Chumpol Silapa-Archa said the proposed measures were handed to the government's economic team yesterday.

"The ministry has compiled [the measures] from the needs and proposals from the private sector," Chumpol said.

The tourism industry, which normally generates about 6-8 per cent of gross domestic product, is suffering from the global economic crisis and last year's eight-day closure of Bangkok's two commercial airports.

Among the measures proposed to revive sector, the ministry will urge Thai Airways International and other carriers to cut fares by 50 per cent to encourage more advanced bookings.

It is also urging the government to waive visa fees for tourists from all countries for six months, with a possible extension of a further six months.

The ministry has also asked the government to reduce value-added tax on hotel room rates for one year, and Airports of Thailand to reduce landing and parking fees at the country's international airports in a bid to persuade more airlines to restore their Thai operations.

Other measures would require government organisations to adjust their budgets for outside meetings and seminars so as to boost domestic tourism, plus a proposal that private companies' tax refunds for meetings and conferences be doubled.

Moreover, hotel operators have asked for an exemption from the annual fee of Bt80 per room they have to pay to the Revenue Department.

Banks, meanwhile, will be encouraged to extend debt-repayment periods for operators in the tourism sector for three years.

The Ministry also plans to promote the major destinations of Phuket, Krabi, and Phang Nga for local tourism by reducing airport taxes and surcharges.

In addition, all national parks should play their part by waiving entrance fees for three years.

The government has also been urged to help workers in the tourism sector, which faces a high risk of increased job losses.

Chumpol said the Ministry would seek an additional budget from the government to assist the tourism sector.

The Cabinet on Tuesday approved Bt1 billion to help tourism and related businesses, but more funding was needed to support the recovery effort.

Prakit Chinamourphong, President of the Thai Hotels Association, said three- and four-star hotels planned to discount room rates by 50 per cent for people visiting the country in February and March.

Among the main target markets are China, India, the Middle East, Singapore, Hong Kong, South Korea, and Japan.

Shopping centres and tourist attractions in Bangkok and other key destinations are also supporting the tourism-recovery campaign.

Most hotels in Bangkok and other major tourist cities are running at lower-than-usual occupancy rates following the airport closures.

New promotion and marketing activities in both local and overseas markets are also planned.

- The Nation / 2009-01-15

Thailand is/was becoming increasingly overpriced. The Airport Closure and the the " I do not give shit attitude toward tourists will be in the minds of many for quite a while. You just cannot treat visitors to your country with such disrespect and expects them to come running back. Hotel and rent prices should be slashed. Yes, airfare should be lowered to entice people back. Hotel that used to be reasonable priced have doubled their rate for 'High Season". There is no "High Season" now there is a "No Season". I used to visit Thailand for periods of 4 -5 months spending at least 80,000 baht a month. Now is cost me 130,000 for the same thing. I do not expect to return to Thailand unless I see some Sanity there.

Waiving visa fees will hurt the consulates, as they are the ones who keep the money. :o

Surely the government budget to cover this promotion will reimburse the consulate fees. I certainly hope so because otherwise consulates nearby (Vientiane, Penang) may stop issuing tourist visas if they stop receiving payments.

I heard the Visa waiver will be augmented by the increase of visa-renewal fees ,now 1,900B, soon to be 10,000B !

and the fine print for all other waivers apply only to those from the Asean block of countries.... Farang is out of the loop yet again.

I dream of the occasion when I can,in my own country, tell a Thai that the price of the item they are buying from me is 10,000% higher than for anyone else... Why? because you are Thai... then I realize that I just wouldn't have the heart to do so and would most likely give it to them.... the Farang, too nice for his own good!

>> STILL THINK THIS IS FUNNY?

>>

>>

>>

Can you spell - Globalization - commercialization..... a plan without a future!

Thailand plans to waive visa fees for tourists

BANGKOK, Thailand - Thailand is considering waiving visa fees for three months in a bid to revive its key tourism industry.

The measure, already approved by the government's economic ministers, will be proposed to the full Cabinet next week, Juthaporn Rerngronasa, deputy governor of the Tourism Authority of Thailand said Friday.

"We hope this will be one of many measures that will boost the tourism industry in Thailand amid the global slowdown and following the political crisis," Juthaporn said.

Residents of many neighboring and Western countries already enjoy visa-free entry privileges for short visits, but those planning longer stays must obtain visas in advance for a fee of at least $30 per entry.

Earlier this week, Thailand's new government allocated 1 billion baht ($28.6 million) of its 115-billion-baht ($3.3 billion) fiscal stimulus package to rejuvenate the tourism industry, which accounts for about 5 percent of the country's economy.

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva, who took office last month, earlier said the government will also consider discounts on aircraft landing fees.

The central bank forecast that tourist arrivals this year would drop by 8.8 percent from 12.8 million in 2008.

Deputy government spokesman Puttipong Punnakan said the Cabinet plans to discuss other measures as well, including a short-term reduction in interest rates and property tax for hotel operators, and a reduction of airport surcharges, as well as discounts on air tickets.

- Associated Press / 2009-01-16

I heard the Visa waiver will be augmented by the increase of visa-renewal fees ,now 1,900B, soon to be 10,000B !

and the fine print for all other waivers apply only to those from the Asean block of countries.... Farang is out of the loop yet again.

I dream of the occasion when I can,in my own country, tell a Thai that the price of the item they are buying from me is 10,000% higher than for anyone else... Why? because you are Thai... then I realize that I just wouldn't have the heart to do so and would most likely give it to them.... the Farang, too nice for his own good!

You're totally out of touch with reality. Visa costs and entry requirements vary for most countries depending on the nationality of the applicant.

Here's some examples to prove my point:

1. If you're applying for a tourist visa to visit the Philippines you'll get it free if you're from New Zealand, but if you're Australian you'll pay $50. Both are "Farang" countries.

2. ASEAN nationals get only 30 days when they visit Malaysia. Most farangs get 90 days. Farangs once again the winners.

3. Filipinos (and other ASEAN citizens) get a free tourist at the Thai consulates in Malaysia. Farangs pay 1000 baht.

4. There's a whole assortment of prices of VOA's for different nationalities when you enter Laos.

Here's another interesting one:

5. US and Australian citizens (amongst others) will require a visa to enter Brazil. UK, NZ and Thai nationals (amongst others) do not require a visa. The cost of the tourist visa varies a lot with nationality too.

Go figure! Some Farangs win, some lose.

There would be thousands of examples of varying prices and policies according to nationality from hundreds of countries. It's all based on reciprocity between nations.

This is not an example of TIT!

What is it with you and taxes? Almost every one that lives in thailand, visits thailand or sends money to thailand pays taxes directly or indirectly. You think that only the people that pay income tax benefit thailand ? Do you agree that tourist benefit thailand ? Tourist can get some of the VAT they pay back if they want to go through the hassle but they still benefit thailand even though they do not pay income tax by injecting money into the economy and by paying all of the direct and indirect taxes they are subject too.

>>

>>

>>

Sorry jack, my posts were directed at someone who appears to believe that regular transfer of funds into Thailand over several years somehow affords them special treatment in the Thai visa and residency stakes. Your argument infers that anyone that pays any form of tax such as tourist paying VAT should also get a better, cheaper visa or a faster track to residency? I am of the opinion that if Thailand had a taxation system that was better administered and audited, then any foreigner with a genuine long-term 'residence' would be a contributing tax payer and through this mechanism be granted more favourable long-term immigration treatment.

With regard to your cut and paste anti-taxation commentary, here's my cut and paste pro-taxation argument.

BAR STOOL ECONOMICS

Suppose that every day, ten men go out for beer and the bill for all ten

comes to $100.

If they paid their bill the way we pay our taxes, it would go something

like this:

The first four men (the poorest) would pay nothing.

The fifth would pay $1.

The sixth would pay $3.

The seventh would pay $7.

The eighth would pay $12.

The ninth would pay $18.

The tenth man (the richest) would pay $59.

So, that's what they decided to do. The ten men drank in the bar every day and seemed quite happy with the arrangement, until one day, the owner threw them a curve.

'Since you are all such good customers, he said, I'm going to reduce the cost of your daily beer by $20.

Drinks for the ten now cost just $80.

The group still wanted to pay their bill the way we pay our taxes so the

first four men were unaffected. They would still drink for free. But what

about the other six men - the paying customers? How could they divide the $20

windfall so that everyone would get his 'fair share?'

They realized that $20 divided by six is $3.33. But if they subtracted that

from everybody's share, then the fifth man and the sixth man would each end up

being paid to drink his beer. So, the bar owner suggested that it would be fair

to reduce each man's bill by roughly the same amount, and he proceeded to work

out the amounts each should pay!

And so:

The fifth man, like the first four, now paid nothing--(100% savings).

The sixth now paid $2 instead of $3 ---------------(33%savings).

The seventh now pay $5 instead of $7------------ (28%savings).

The eighth now paid $9 instead of $12------------ (25% savings).

The ninth now paid $14 instead of $18 ------------(22% savings).

The tenth now paid $49 instead of $59------------ (16% savings).

Each of the six was better off than before. And the first four continued

to drink for free. But once outside the restaurant, the men began to compare

their savings.

'I only got a dollar out of the $20, 'declared the sixth man. He pointed to the

tenth man, 'but he got $10!'

'Yeah, that's right,' exclaimed the fifth man. 'I only saved a dollar, too.

It's unfair that he got ten times more than I!'

'That's true!!' shouted the seventh man. 'Why should he get $10 back when I got

only two? The wealthy get all the breaks!'

'Wait a minute,' yelled the first four men in unison. 'We didn't get

anything at all. The system exploits the poor!'

The nine men surrounded the tenth and beat him up.

The next night the tenth man didn't show up for drinks, so the nine sat

down and had beers without him. But when it came time to pay the bill,

they discovered something important. They didn't have enough money between all

of them for even half of the bill!

And that, boys and girls, journalists and college professors, is how our

tax system works. The people who pay the highest taxes get the most benefit

from a tax reduction. Tax them too much, attack them for being wealthy, and

they just may not show up anymore. In fact, they might start drinking overseas

where the atmosphere is somewhat friendlier.

David R. Kamerschen, Ph.D.

Professor of Economics, University of Georgia

For those who understand, no explanation is needed.

For those who do not understand, no explanation is possible .

QUOTE (Bruce1 @ 2009-01-15 19:58:14)

I have no problem with them locking up illegal entrants, but it would be nice if the new government adopted a far more realistic and welcoming attitude towards foreigners seeking to enter and contribute legally and positively to the country. After all, most of the crime in the LOS is committed by Thais, not foreigners, so they should put their own house in order rather than blaming foreigners. As for me, I don't NEED to live in the LOS, but I would like to spend time there, if I felt more welcome, which I currently don't.

So Bruce, you don't NEED to live here but you do WANT to spend more time here. Would you be willing to pay taxes here?

I lived there for three years and paid the taxes and made social security contributions and all the other costs of living and contributed to the society in various ways. It actually cost me money to live there, compared with what would have been my situation back in Oz. Financially, I'd have been better off not to have gone to LOS.

I don't live there at the moment, but would like to go back one day. I like the place and the people. Satisfied, smartypants?

Please allow me to fix your quotes, Bruce. Otherwise, it makes it look like your calling yourself smartypants.

I lived there for three years and paid the taxes and made social security contributions and all the other costs of living and contributed to the society in various ways. It actually cost me money to live there, compared with what would have been my situation back in Oz. Financially, I'd have been better off not to have gone to LOS.

I don't live there at the moment, but would like to go back one day. I like the place and the people. Satisfied, smartypants?

Anyone got any news on when they are going to reduce the air fares!! Wiith ThaiAirways, I am trying to look elsewhere for any info but dont seem to find any news elsewhere? Anybody got any ideas or information on when they may start to reduce prices, Tinytot

Anyone got any news on when they are going to reduce the air fares!! Wiith ThaiAirways, I am trying to look elsewhere for any info but dont seem to find any news elsewhere? Anybody got any ideas or information on when they may start to reduce prices, Tinytot

Ministry Proposes Waiving Visa Fees For 6 Months, other measures involve 50% cut THAI fares

In case of the visa fees I guess it has to be approved by the cabinet first and IMHO it is quite unlike that TG will cut their fares by 50%...

There is no such thing as as a Visa renewable Fee.

Visas are not renewable.

Funny, isn't it? You harp on this, I harp on this, others here harp on this...but still people use improper terminology.

Is it ignorance or laziness do you suppose?

>>

>>

>>

Sorry jack, my posts were directed at someone who appears to believe that regular transfer of funds into Thailand over several years somehow affords them special treatment in the Thai visa and residency stakes. Your argument infers that anyone that pays any form of tax such as tourist paying VAT should also get a better, cheaper visa or a faster track to residency? I am of the opinion that if Thailand had a taxation system that was better administered and audited, then any foreigner with a genuine long-term 'residence' would be a contributing tax payer and through this mechanism be granted more favourable long-term immigration treatment.

With regard to your cut and paste anti-taxation commentary, here's my cut and paste pro-taxation argument.

BAR STOOL ECONOMICS

Suppose that every day, ten men go out for beer and the bill for all ten

comes to $100.

10% of the people own 90% of the financial wealth in the USA therefore they should pay at least 59% of the taxes. The fact is that they don't when you take all of the different kinds of taxes into account. I suspect that the same goes for thailand. My point is that people that make a long term contribution to thailand should get special treatment for visa and residency stakes. I brought up the many direct and indirect taxes that EVEN torurists pay to make the point that income tax is not the only tax that supports the government. Your point is that ONLY the people that pay INCOME TAX should be able to get special treatment. Maybe I am stupid too stupid to figure out how to get out of paying taxes in thailand but i Pay social insurance tax, income tax, building tax, plus all kinds of government fees that are in reality just another form of tax. Do you mean to tell me that other foreigners that live here do not pay these taxes ?? The gentleman that we are discussing has been sending significant amounts of money to thailand for many years and the people that he is sending the money to are generating tax income in some way. Probably much more than the majority of thais do. Therefore he and the rest of us that BENEFIT thailand by bringing in income, therefore generating tax revenue, should get better treatment than we are.

Why don't they just make entrance fees the same for foriegners as it is for Thai's,

rather than wiping them completely.

Here is a proposal to make them the same or even more expensive - see: www.mathaba.net/news/?x=615773

Edited by brfsa2