BANGKOK 25 May 2019 11:51
Sign in to follow this  
emubob

Phuket restaurateur killed

A breaking news story...

Farang Restaurant in Phuket Town (by Index) had a hit and run job tonight.

3 gunshots fired and apparently the owner of Farang murdered whilst sitting eating dinner at his restaurant. This is what Thai people at the scene told me.

My friends were at Simply Bla Bar next door and heard the 3 gunshots fired. A person on a motorbike pulled up outside the restaurant and shot 3 times at the table.

As I arrived to meet my friends various police cars and ambulances were arriving at Farang.

2 people were apparently shot. One dead (I saw the body), the other taken away to hospital.

A lot of shell shocked diners at the restaurant.

Time was approx 9.30pm

I am sure more detailed news will follow.

Very scary indeed though.

Emubob

This is bad news, have not seen any further details in the news about this.

If so, may he rest in peace and may the culprits be grabbed to police custody.

MC

This is my regular lunch spot. As far as I know this restaurant is actually Thai owned, and I assume it was a Thai who was assassinated ??? Headline a bit misleading. Bit of a shock to read the report as very nice staff and organised premises. Unlikely spot for a shooting .....

I can confirm that the Thai owner of the Farang restaurant by the Index Living Mall, was shot and killed last night, Friday.

He was sitting outside his restaurant, at the right side table area when he was approched by an unknow Thai on a motorcycle, and shot.

Thai staff are now cleaning up the scene. The status of the second person is unknown, as to the cleaners knowledge.

MC

oh my god. im shocked by this news. if it is the owner, Kit, he is an absolute gentleman and only young. Kit worked in Kuppa, Bangkok, for some years before opening his own places in Phuket.

i really hope it isnt Kit. i had the pleasure of working with him for a short time and cannot think of why anyone would want to do this to such a divine young man.

Any bodies guess why someone should murder another human being,but normaly its a gambling debt,fighting over a gf,drink related,or competition.Confirms what some people say about loose cannon thais.

Any bodies guess why someone should murder another human being,but normaly its a gambling debt,fighting over a ,drink related,or competition.Confirms what some people say about loose cannon thais.

I would guess it was a business or money related dispute. This is the way disputes are settled in Thailand as the legal route is long and corrupt. We have a dispute with a land contact (on behalf of a deceased friend) and while filing a complaint at Chalong police station, the desk sergent slid his gun across his desk and stated that this is the way we solve disputes in Thailand. I was shocked, but after 7 years in court with a civil law case and no end if sight ... I can now see why 'law of the gun' is the Thai way. Even if the shooter is caught, he is out on bail in a trice, and if monied/influential people are involved then the case hearing will be delayed ad infinatum. TIT ... :o

This is my regular lunch spot. As far as I know this restaurant is actually Thai owned, and I assume it was a Thai who was assassinated ??? Headline a bit misleading. Bit of a shock to read the report as very nice staff and organised premises. Unlikely spot for a shooting .....
Great post and well written by op, he could get a job at the pattaya news for sure !

Thai staff are now cleaning up the scene. The status of the second person is unknown, as to the cleaners knowledge. MC

This happens too often. Thais have to learn that crime scenes shouldn't be cleaned up until a thorough investigation has been done by authorities.

They may have thrown away crucial evidence, such as spent bullets and shells.

R I P Kit. 

Really this shouldn't be in the news clippings as it stands as the headline is misleading.  It really should stay in the Phuket forum as this is phuket related and not about a foreigner, but again, R I P.

Another pitch for the 'quality tourist'..

LOS ...... you lost me with that remark .... :o

I think the posters point is that this is not good for the tourist industry. and reflects badly on thailand

tat will gloss over it and come up with another award saying how safe thailand is and how quickly crooks are brought to justice!

This event should have no impact whatsoever on the tourist trade nor detract from tourist's perceptions as to relative safety. Go to any big western city and similar events occur. Anyone that has lived in a big city knows that you can't operate a nightclub or restaurant in some districts without paying protection or tribute to a local mobster or gang. For all we know, this could have been a case of mistaken identity.

It is unfortunate that someone who has worked hard to build up something successful (if the report is correct) has to end up this way.