Phuket restaurateur killed

emubob

A breaking news story...

Farang Restaurant in Phuket Town (by Index) had a hit and run job tonight.

3 gunshots fired and apparently the owner of Farang murdered whilst sitting eating dinner at his restaurant. This is what Thai people at the scene told me.

My friends were at Simply Bla Bar next door and heard the 3 gunshots fired. A person on a motorbike pulled up outside the restaurant and shot 3 times at the table.

As I arrived to meet my friends various police cars and ambulances were arriving at Farang.

2 people were apparently shot. One dead (I saw the body), the other taken away to hospital.

A lot of shell shocked diners at the restaurant.

Time was approx 9.30pm

I am sure more detailed news will follow.

Very scary indeed though.

Emubob

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is my regular lunch spot. As far as I know this restaurant is actually Thai owned, and I assume it was a Thai who was assassinated ??? Headline a bit misleading. Bit of a shock to read the report as very nice staff and organised premises. Unlikely spot for a shooting .....

I can confirm that the Thai owner of the Farang restaurant by the Index Living Mall, was shot and killed last night, Friday.

He was sitting outside his restaurant, at the right side table area when he was approched by an unknow Thai on a motorcycle, and shot.

Thai staff are now cleaning up the scene. The status of the second person is unknown, as to the cleaners knowledge.

MC

oh my god. im shocked by this news. if it is the owner, Kit, he is an absolute gentleman and only young. Kit worked in Kuppa, Bangkok, for some years before opening his own places in Phuket.

i really hope it isnt Kit. i had the pleasure of working with him for a short time and cannot think of why anyone would want to do this to such a divine young man.

Any bodies guess why someone should murder another human being,but normaly its a gambling debt,fighting over a ,drink related,or competition.Confirms what some people say about loose cannon thais.

I would guess it was a business or money related dispute. This is the way disputes are settled in Thailand as the legal route is long and corrupt. We have a dispute with a land contact (on behalf of a deceased friend) and while filing a complaint at Chalong police station, the desk sergent slid his gun across his desk and stated that this is the way we solve disputes in Thailand. I was shocked, but after 7 years in court with a civil law case and no end if sight ... I can now see why 'law of the gun' is the Thai way. Even if the shooter is caught, he is out on bail in a trice, and if monied/influential people are involved then the case hearing will be delayed ad infinatum. TIT ... :o

This is my regular lunch spot. As far as I know this restaurant is actually Thai owned, and I assume it was a Thai who was assassinated ??? Headline a bit misleading. Bit of a shock to read the report as very nice staff and organised premises. Unlikely spot for a shooting .....
Great post and well written by op, he could get a job at the pattaya news for sure !

Thai staff are now cleaning up the scene. The status of the second person is unknown, as to the cleaners knowledge. MC

This happens too often. Thais have to learn that crime scenes shouldn't be cleaned up until a thorough investigation has been done by authorities.

They may have thrown away crucial evidence, such as spent bullets and shells.

Another pitch for the 'quality tourist'..

LOS ...... you lost me with that remark .... :o

I think the posters point is that this is not good for the tourist industry. and reflects badly on thailand

tat will gloss over it and come up with another award saying how safe thailand is and how quickly crooks are brought to justice!

This event should have no impact whatsoever on the tourist trade nor detract from tourist's perceptions as to relative safety. Go to any big western city and similar events occur. Anyone that has lived in a big city knows that you can't operate a nightclub or restaurant in some districts without paying protection or tribute to a local mobster or gang. For all we know, this could have been a case of mistaken identity.

It is unfortunate that someone who has worked hard to build up something successful (if the report is correct) has to end up this way.

This event should have no impact whatsoever on the tourist trade nor detract from tourist's perceptions as to relative safety. Go to any big western city and similar events occur. Anyone that has lived in a big city knows that you can't operate a nightclub or restaurant in some districts without paying protection or tribute to a local mobster or gang. For all we know, this could have been a case of mistaken identity.

It is unfortunate that someone who has worked hard to build up something successful (if the report is correct) has to end up this way.

Was success the problem? perhaps somebody decided it was time to take over this establishment and when the owner refused to step away being carried away was the other option.

They seem to happen with alarming regularity in the 'land of smiles'.

I have an acquaintance who owns a nice European restaurant in Pattaya. He assured me that the (undefined as to what nationality) mafioso and their hitmen are quite active there and he must hire his own bodyguards and protection to stay safe. In this tragic case, it could very well have been a hitman taking out a recalcitrant business owner. Unfortunately it is an increasingly common occurrence.

There is another twist to this that affects not only business owners, but farangs living out their retirement as well. I learned of farangs married to Thai women who are shot and killed during an apparent break-in, but the Thai wife was mysteriously away shopping or visiting somebody when it happened. Greed and life insurance proceeds are awfully tempting to many Thai spouses, particularly those who sprang from the lower economic strata, or who were urged on by malevolent family members or perhaps even by local boyfriends intent on taking over all those prized assets.

The guys who probably stand the best chance of longevity under such potential circumstances may be those with zero life insurance and minimal banked assets, but with a steady source of pension income that will vanish if he perishes.

Any bodies guess why someone should murder another human being,but normaly its a gambling debt,fighting over a gf,drink related,or competition.Confirms what some people say about loose cannon thais.

in thailand its just about anything.

1. you dont have to worry about the police solving the crime

2. guns are abundant and cheap

3. killers are cheap and abundant

yeah or maybe the bullets fell from the sky. :o

Since we don't have a news story yet, this is hearsay so we're moving it back to the Phuket subforum where regular Phuket posters may comment. Once an actual news story is released through a recognised publication, it will be posted in the News Clippings subforum.

Whilst the original heading may mislead it was written to maximise exposure. The simple fact is this is happening all too often in Phuket.

The original post was placed in the Phuket forum and was moved by others.

As for assassination, that is exactly what it was. Some definitions:-

- murder of a public figure by surprise attack.

- Assassination is the targeted killing of a public figure. Sometimes for ideolological or political reasons. Other motivations may be money(contract killing), or revenge.

- The action of assassinating; the taking the life of any one by treacherous violence, esp. by a hired emissary, or one who has taken upon him to execute the deed. (Oxford English Dictionary)

If it so offends then maybe the mods can change the heading to 'Assassination at Farang restaurant'. Either way the owner was shot dead in a public place in front of many people which is frightening to say the least

From all accounts, he had been expanding his business and was opening more chains of these successful restaurants in various parts of Phuket and beyond. Read into that what you may.

I just heard of from google news (yes I know a scarry source of news)

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/25...r-murdered.html

Very sad story indeed, but read the article too..

Bangkok - The owner of Thailand's popular Farang restaurants was shot and killed while sitting in of one of his eateries early Saturday, local media on the island of Phuket reported. Chid Raknang, also known by his nickname Kit, had recently opened a Farang restaurant in the capital Bangkok after two other ventures blossomed on the resort island. The former head chef at a five-star hotel offered food one reviewer recently called "a real shining light among places to eat in Phuket."Police said a drive-by gunman riding a motorbike killed Chid at around 1 am. The name of his restaurants, Farang, caused some amusement locally because it translates into English as the somewhat derogatory word for white foreigner. In Thailand business disputes are sometimes resolved by a paid assassination. Phuket is particularly prone to fierce tussles between entrepreneurs because profits can be big and are widely coveted.

Whilst the original heading may mislead it was written to maximise exposure. The simple fact is this is happening all too often in Phuket.

As for assassination, that is exactly what it was.

I would refer to this type of attack as a PAID HIT. Assassination gives it too much credence. And the title is going to be abused by other publications.

Oh ... emubob, your OP stated hit happened about 09.30pm. Subsequent publications say 01.00 a.m....

Edited by LivinginKata

As for assassination, that is exactly what it was.

I would refer to this type of attack as a PAID HIT. Assassination gives it too much credence. And the title is going to be abused by other publications.

Oh ... emubob, your OP stated hit happened about 09.30pm. Subsequent publications say 01.00 a.m....

Well it is better then the Gazette who has not stated it at ALL :o

Re this post:

Since we don't have a news story yet, this is hearsay so we're moving it back to the Phuket subforum where regular Phuket posters may comment. Once an actual news story is released through a recognised publication, it will be posted in the News Clippings subforum.

I posted a link to our news story at Phuketwan, where our Thai reporter CONFIRMED with police the details surrounding the shooting.

This same reporter's story on Rohingya appeared on the front page of South China Morning Post this week.

What does it take to be a 'recognised publication'?

Apathy and indifference perhaps?

Please advise.

Edited by saneroad

Whilst the original heading may mislead it was written to maximise exposure.
Yes, and that seems to be the main aim in stead of giving facts.

See post # 20, the heading not just may mislead but will mislead.