Phuket restaurateur killed

emubob

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thoughts must and do go to the family. Another bad day in Thailand. What I find disgusting among all this is while people are sending their wishes to the family and trying to make sense of this senseless killing some posters are happily discussing the menu and whether the food is any good. A man is dead for crying out loud. Have some respect people. What next, somebody asking for job vacancies ? :o

I would imagine his wife and child would rather not lose their livelihood as well as their husband / father

when are these people going to stop killing people for just being successful? just because one person is successful and another isnt, does not give the less successful one a reason to shoot the other.

Donna ... unfortunately, yes it does give them a reason. I'm told that it costs 60,000 baht for a 'hit', indeed this service has been offered to me a few times. It shocks me, and also worries me for myself and wife's safety, that's why we try to keep low profile in public.

Terrible thing to happen. RIP. Unfortunately it's a lot less than 60,000 baht.

Since we don't have a news story yet, this is hearsay so we're moving it back to the Phuket subforum where regular Phuket posters may comment. Once an actual news story is released through a recognised publication, it will be posted in the News Clippings subforum.

I read it in Sunday's Nation ...

item--2--- on VDO at

http://thainews.prd.go.th/newsenglish/prev...php?news_id=911

Police are investigating the murder of the Farang restaurant owner in Phuket.

Phuket city police and paramedics rushed to the scene after they were informed of a murder case at the popular Farang restaurant in the city at around 10.30 pm on Friday night. They found Chid Rak-Ngam, age 36 years old, shot dead at his own restaurant located near Index Living Mall on the by-pass road. He suffered bullet shots on the back of his head. A customer was also slightly injured from the shooting. The gunman was riding on the back of a motorbike and fled the scene. Police failed to catch him on the night but are still on the search. The victim owns two restaurants in Phuket, with another one in Chiang Mai and one in Bangkok. Police focus on two issues as a possible motive for the killing: business conflict and personal affairs. Our condolences go out to his family.

Shocking news, but not completely surprising. I have only eaten there maybe 10 times, but it was obvious that the place was hangout for coppers who appeared to be slightly higher up than the usual traffic cop. Don't know the connection with the owner, or if there was one, but it was something both me and my gf commented on several times. We don't usually feel comfortable spending too much time in police hangouts after previous unpleasant experiences in such places(guns being waved around etc..).

Btw, the food is outstanding and very reasonably priced.

Shocking news, but not completely surprising. I have only eaten there maybe 10 times, but it was obvious that the place was hangout for coppers who appeared to be slightly higher up than the usual traffic cop. Don't know the connection with the owner, or if there was one, but it was something both me and my gf commented on several times. We don't usually feel comfortable spending too much time in police hangouts after previous unpleasant experiences in such places(guns being waved around etc..).

We have never seen a policeman eating/drinking there, although we only have lunch there. Never been in the evening. Sure you got the right place .... ?

As for the OP and the topic-at-hand, RIP Kit. I thoroughly enjoyed both Farang Restaurants, and I was even kindly introduced to Kit only a little more than a month ago. Very sad indeed, as he seemed a very cordial man - and I even congratulated him on his success at such a young age... :o

Donna, you are not alone in your frustration - but the very nature of success dictates that there will will be others who are 'less successful' and this situation can unfortunately create jealousy/envy which will can rear its ugly head in the form of such evil actions. I hope that justice is served swiftly in this sad case.

RIP Kit.

Edit: spelling.

Edited by donna

This happens too often. Thais have to learn that crime scenes shouldn't be cleaned up until a thorough investigation has been done by authorities.

They may have thrown away crucial evidence, such as spent bullets and shells.

The authorities don't even know the meaning of a thorough investigation.

Edited by ClaytonSeymour

We have never seen a policeman eating/drinking there, although we only have lunch there. Never been in the evening. Sure you got the right place .... ?

Definitely got the right place. In fact you are the one who recommended it to me. I've eaten there probably 10 times and seen cops there probably 8 of those 10 times. Always during the day. Ate there only once at night and no cops, place was full of farangs and wealthy appearing Thais. Sometimes the police were in the little aircon room and other times in the main open air area and yet other times we saw them just pull up, park out front, and then hang out in the kitchen with the staff. We figured somebody in the family was a high-up copper.

Apparently there was much more than meets the eye going on with the owner. I doubt he was shot just because he was successful, although I am well aware that this does happen in Thailand.

Regardless, the food/service has always been excellent and the family warm and welcoming. Tragic loss for them. They seem like a very capable bunch and I have no doubt that they will continue in the restaurant biz and hopefully continue to serve such sorely needed, wonderful food in Phuket.

Update today:

MURDER inquiry detectives are using CCTV images to try to confirm the identity of the person they believe was responsible for the Farang 2 killing.

Chief of Police, Major General Apirak Hongtong, said that he had sought an arrest warrant from the Justice of the Criminal Court but was told he must seek confirmation of the identity of the suspect.

As a result, CCTV images from some of Phuket's best-known retail outlets are being closely scrutinised.

Full story: http://phuketwan.com/tourism/farang-killin...g-camera-clues/

Well that would be if they really had a good CCTV system covering hotspots installed as it was promised?

I have not seen any CCTV camera at the Tesco Lotus crossing, several other location have.

Maybe the governer should do a suprise visit to the famous Phuket town CCTV center.

Half of the monitors are down, so well spent money to improve tourist safety! BS and BS again.

Now they have to turn to closeby local stores and shops to reveiw their CCTV tapes, the pros in action.

CCTV systems do not prevent crimes, but they do help out in the crime investigation.

MC

• 3 weeks later...

The latest update, Feb 5

THE Farang restaurant killer and the person who paid for the murder are both likely to be arrested before the month is out, Phuket's Chief of Police, Major General Apirak Hongtong, has told Phuketwan.

He said the investigation had been complicated because the ''shooter'' came from Pattalung province, rather than within Region 8, the district covered by police who oversee Phuket and other southern provinces.

Major General Apirak said the identity of the person who paid was known but police wanted to arrest both people in a ''package.''

Full story:

Farang Killing: Police Close in on Assassin, Boss

I learned of farangs married to Thai women who are shot and killed during an apparent break-in, but the Thai wife was mysteriously away shopping or visiting somebody when it happened. Greed and life insurance proceeds are awfully tempting to many Thai spouses, particularly those who sprang from the lower economic strata..

nothing new there!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Today's update, at Phuketwan.com

Monday, February 16, 2009

Updating Report

AN ARREST warrant has been issued naming two men suspected of involvement in the execution-on-the-move killing of Farang restauranteur Chid ''Kit'' Raknang.

Khun Kit was gunned down at his Phuket City Farang 2 restaurant last month. The killer stepped off a motorcycle to carry out the hit and sped away soon after.

Police conducted a thorough investigation that involved viewing CCTV footage from nearby retail outlets, including Central Festival and Index Living Mall.

The Farang 2 restaurant, one of three operated by Khun Kit, is opposite the Living Mall in the Bypass Road.

Phuket's Chief of Police, Major General Apirak Hongtong, is heading the investigation. He is expected to be tranferred to Ranong as soon as the official paperwork is complete.

Edited by saneroad