Apple Iphone 3g In Thailand. What A Joke.

thaibkk53

I read that the iPhone True is selling has no Thai keyboard. I find it difficult to understand how a Thai company can sell the iPhone in Thailand with no Thai keyboard, and how Apple would sign a contract with such a company.

True is all kind of problems for All services they offer. The True Vision Service, True IPTV even more problem. You can imagin True Connecting my True IPTV and I am using for more than a Week and then it get disconnected. After I called them then they say there is no paper work and record for my service. I told them then how did I get your box at my Home. Then it took them 2 weeks to process and they could not even start the paper work again. They kept saying need to find the old record.

True Internet can not even use speicaly so slow that Iphone or Ipod Touch can not work. I have to use my Loxinfo. I only use True broadband for my IPTV.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're right when you say that True service is a joke.

But to be fair, they do list all the requirements, such as work permit etc on their website. If you go with all your paperwork, there shouldn't be any problems.

As far as their internet goes, it seems to be working just fine for me. Maybe there is a problem with your setup?

I can't imagine that Apple would withdraw their partnership with True anytime soon. That would look bad for Apple, because they would probably do their research before offering the contract to True.

However, don't be suprised to see Dtac offer iPhones soon.

But to be fair, they do list all the requirements, such as work permit etc on their website. If you go with all your paperwork, there shouldn't be any problems.

As far as their internet goes, it seems to be working just fine for me. Maybe there is a problem with your setup?

I can't imagine that Apple would withdraw their partnership with True anytime soon. That would look bad for Apple, because they would probably do their research before offering the contract to True.

I just do not remmber AIS or DTAC asking for work Permit. Maybe I forget.

AIS ask for a work permit for a post paid account, and I'm sure DtAC do as well. From my experience, any company who will be post-invoicing you for services will ask for that in Thailand. I suppose it's the only assurance they have that you are more or less living here, making some money, and not prone to doing a runner after you run up a large bill.

AIS ask for a work permit for a post paid account, and I'm sure DtAC do as well. From my experience, any company who will be post-invoicing you for services will ask for that in Thailand. I suppose it's the only assurance they have that you are more or less living here, making some money, and not prone to doing a runner after you run up a large bill.

Maybe you correct but what I do not understans is this. How could you be True customers for True Vision, Lan Phone line, Broadband, and IPTV in several location under your owen name they still keep asking for same informations. It seems like the record should be on threir file and do not ask for same information even though i know this is normal to ask in Thailand.

It is same as going to Bank and open account and if you go back next day open another account ask for same information copy Passport.

Any how about Iphone I am very happy getting the Iphone Hong kong since did not have to subscribe to True for another service. It is like AT&T taking over all services in USA.

Maybe you correct but what I do not understans is this. How could you be True customers for True Vision, Lan Phone line, Broadband, and IPTV in several location under your owen name they still keep asking for same informations. It seems like the record should be on threir file and do not ask for same information even though i know this is normal to ask in Thailand.

It is same as going to Bank and open account and if you go back next day open another account ask for same information copy Passport.

Any how about Iphone I am very happy getting the Iphone Hong kong since did not have to subscribe to True for another service. It is like AT&T taking over all services in USA.

They ask because they are separate operating divisions, issue separate invoices, and do separate accounting. So what's the big deal? If you have a work permit, just let them have a copy. That would have taken less time that complaining over and over here about their requirement.

On your last note: True sell a completely unlocked iPhone for 24,500 baht, just a few hundred baht more than the HKG price. Just buy that one instead of going to HKG or paying even more for one at MBK.

Edited by bubba

AIS ask for a work permit for a post paid account, and I'm sure DtAC do as well.

I can confirm DTAC do ask for your work permit for post-paid billing.

As someone who is currently a DTAC postpaid customer, I can confirm that for at least the last year or so, you do not require a work permit. In fact, DTAC is the only carrier that does not require one, hence the popularity among foreigners.

Here is the website:

h$$p://www.dtac.co.th/english/postpaid.html

At the top, it says that "No work permit required. With your passport and any credit card – local or international – you can get your own postpaid account. (A postpaid account is based on a monthly invoice) "

In my opinion, it's the best choice right now considering per second billing, 0.75 baht per minute calling, and overall coverage. Besides, last time I contacted the AIS or True call center, it was difficult getting someone who could assist me that could comfortably speak english.

I'm currently using the iPhone 3G (HK) with DTAC and for 200 baht, I get 300 SMS and 30 hrs of EDGE (not using the 30 MMS). With push turned off (to prevent the persistent pinging of the servers), It provides plenty of time for data usage. Also, if you use a Thai friend's ID card, you can register for the free Green Wi-Fi and connect to the True Hotspots just as if you were a regular TrueMove/TrueWi-Fi customer. Definitely the most economical deal right now.

As someone who is currently a DTAC postpaid customer, I can confirm that for at least the last year or so, you do not require a work permit. In fact, DTAC is the only carrier that does not require one, hence the popularity among foreigners.

Here is the website:

h$p://www.dtac.co.th/english/postpaid.html

At the top, it says that "No work permit required. With your passport and any credit card – local or international – you can get your own postpaid account. (A postpaid account is based on a monthly invoice) "

I should have pointed out that I am not using a credit card for my post-paid account. I am having the bill automatically deducted from my Bangkok Bank savings account, and for this setup they did ask for the work permit.

They ask because they are separate operating divisions, issue separate invoices, and do separate accounting. So what's the big deal? If you have a work permit, just let them have a copy. That would have taken less time that complaining over and over here about their requirement.

On your last note: True sell a completely unlocked iPhone for 24,500 baht, just a few hundred baht more than the HKG price. Just buy that one instead of going to HKG or paying even more for one at MBK.

The 16GB version of 3G Iphone is 28,500 Baht. I think no one buy the 8GB Version. I bought the HK version unlock from MBK for 29,000 Baht Unlock with no problem and do not even have to deal with True. Today True send me in mail the Phone Number with the SIM Card for True Iphone they promissed on line when I filled out the form.

Anyhow I am happy with my Iphone HK version and do not have to do any subscription with True.

Would you believe I have 6 different bills all from True?

1. True internet

2. True UBC visions

3. Land line (actually the bill is from TOT) but its a True number.

4. CAT long distance (phone and long distance are separate bills)

5. True move

6. CAT long distance bill for the true move cell phone number.

I tried paying all my bills in one office at central PK once but to no avail. I could only pay the true move at the true move store, the internet and telephone land line at the true shop. I couldn't find a place to pay the true visions or the CAT long distance. So I had to go to a counter service. One would be better off just going to 7-11. I just said heck with this and had all my bills directly paid via bank account. You wouldn't believe the trouble I had to go through. I had to fill out forms and have copies of everything for each bill like bank books, ID, etc. One for internet and another for the land line. I had to go to the Tisco building in Sathorn for the true visions for the forms and get all the forms sign by my bank branch and returned to them. I just cancelled the true move number and had the UBC just charge my credit card (I get a little discount if I do that).

1. True internet

2. True UBC visions

5. True move

I tried paying all my bills in one office at central PK once but to no avail. I could only pay the true move at the true move store, the internet and telephone land line at the true shop. I couldn't find a place to pay the true visions or the CAT long distance. So I had to go to a counter service. One would be better off just going to 7-11. I just said heck with this and had all my bills directly paid via bank account. You wouldn't believe the trouble I had to go through. I had to fill out forms and have copies of everything for each bill like bank books, ID, etc. One for internet and another for the land line. I had to go to the Tisco building in Sathorn for the true visions for the forms and get all the forms sign by my bank branch and returned to them. I just cancelled the true move number and had the UBC just charge my credit card (I get a little discount if I do that).

The Problem is that they call all these divisions True but not really and they all act as different companies. For TV you have no choice of using them.

1. True internet

2. True UBC visions

5. True move

:o

Emancipating yourself from this hideous company would be far better.

the iphone in the US cost only $199 for 8g and $299 for 16g.....

in thailand it cost 24-28 thousand baht, you are talking about $500 hundred US dollar profit....dam_n what a rip off

if all yall really want the phone, pay me 10-15kbaht each and if i have enought customer i will fly to the US myself and buy the phone and carry it back myself.

I don't think so chowder.

In the US, the iPhone 3G is only sold alongside a 2-year AT&T contract, with monthly fees *starting* at $80 USD per month. It is possible, though, to buy an iPhone, use it for over a month (minumum 2 months), cancel the contract, pay the cancellation penalty, and then get to use an AT&T locked iPhone.

But here's the financial breakdown for all you thinking that US Apple stores are the promised land.

Purchase iPhone / $199 + Activation fee / $36 + Two month' service / $160 + Cancellation fee / $175 = $570 USD Total

Consider, too, that the phone will be locked and the YellowSn0w hacks available are less than perfect, may void the warranty, and prevent you from updating the software via iTunes when/if Apple releases fixes and new features.

Contrast this to the fact that for 24,000 Baht (@ $700 USD) almost anybody (though True says it's intended for True customers) can buy an iPhone without a contract from Apple stores or TrueMove stores here in Thailand that come *with* warranty, fully unlocked and able to be used on any network, and are locally supported (in case of problems with GPRS or language settings, etc).

These unlocked iPhones are available in BKK and, as of today, in Chiang Mai too.

Honestly, I don't think there's any better deal than an unlocked, fully working, non-hacked phone backed up by a warranty. And all for roughly the same price as a hacked grey market version at MBK or from the Apple Stores in Hong Kong.

UPDATE: Hong Kong Apple store sells the iPhone (unlocked) for $5,400 HKD which is equal to 24,400 Thai baht or $695 USD. So the local prices from True ain't too off the mark.

Edited by ywamer

:o

Emancipating yourself from this hideous company would be far better.

There isn't much of a choice.

For UBCTV there isn't a competitor that's even close. Maybe a local cable company but its really low quality and programming. None of the big channels like espn OR hbo. PSI sat I tried and was such a waste of money. Very few channels, most of them Chinese or Vietnamese or Indian. The channels took minutes to change because the sat had to change directions for every channel. Also in the end it broke and I didn't bother to get it repaired because it sucked.

Internet there isn't much of a choice either. Maxnet wasn't available and TOT I tried and got spotty connection at best.

I needed a TRUE phone line for their internet.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

"I can confirm DTAC do ask for your work permit for post-paid billing. As someone who is currently a DTAC postpaid customer, I can confirm that for at least the last year or so, you do not require a work permit. In fact, DTAC is the only carrier that does not require one, hence the popularity among foreigners."

I have AIS post-paid and got it without a work permit. I'm using it in my iPhone :o

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I'm travelling to the UK this August for a friend's wedding and I saw how weak the pound is; then I saw that you had already done what I was thinking of doing:

Anybody who buy's an iphone with true is either dumb or money doesn't matter.

If its the latter no worries whatsoever.

I saved myself 10000 by buying from UK and unlocking here.

That's brilliant, a UK phone will work in Thailand? That's exactly the question I was going to post. Could you or someone else please explain what 'unlocking' a phone entails? Where do you go to do it and how much does it cost? Thanks

I was waiting for this iPhone release ... But now

......... I'm forgetting about the True iPhone package in Thailand.

I think I'm going to buy an iPod Touch which will do everything the iPhone will do ... except phone. I have a decent Nokia phone.

The iPod Touch is an iPhone without the phone but has wireless internet and all the apps etc.

The other option is to buy the legal (so no need to worry about Apple's continuous firmware updates) iPhone in Hong Kong (cheaper than True's price) and use it with any carrier's sim card in Thailand.

I was wondering if you use a mac and if so if you can sync the nokia with it. I have a nokia n95 and wouldn't mind adopting your course if i could do that sync with my macbook.

the biggest joke isnt the 3G service but the process to get the Iphone. Basicly u must have a credit card for the bank they want they make you a loan for you to get the phone, and of course they have the 2 years fees in their pocket 4 hours after you signup.

3G coverage isnt only True's fault but the stupid regulation. Even Laos have better 3G coverage!

the biggest joke isnt the 3G service but the process to get the Iphone. Basicly u must have a credit card for the bank they want they make you a loan for you to get the phone, and of course they have the 2 years fees in their pocket 4 hours after you signup.

3G coverage isnt only True's fault but the stupid regulation. Even Laos have better 3G coverage!

None of that is true anymore.

You can walk into the True store, fork over 24,500 Baht, and walk out with an officially unlocked iPhone 3G. No need for bank crap, no loans, no True contract, no nothing. IMO that's the only way to buy it here in the LOS.

Also note that it's officially unlocked which means updates will just work, and you don't have to worry about a bricked phone. As the owner of a 1G jailbroken iPhone upgrading is always a big deal, I need to find the new hack, apply it, then hope it works, etc... I'd much rather have an official unlocked one.

• 2 weeks later...

My girlfriend just got a call from TRUE claiming she won a free IPhone 3G. I said 'won'? and all I can understand is they said 'lucky number', and you just need to pay 5%. Can go to any of the 11 True Stores to get it. What is odd is the 5% ... I thought VAT was 7% so not sure where 5% came from.

Does this sound like a free phone and pay 2 years deal as mentioned in previous posts?

My girlfriend just got a call from TRUE claiming she won a free IPhone 3G. I said 'won'? and all I can understand is they said 'lucky number', and you just need to pay 5%. Can go to any of the 11 True Stores to get it. What is odd is the 5% ... I thought VAT was 7% so not sure where 5% came from.

Does this sound like a free phone and pay 2 years deal as mentioned in previous posts?

No, you just won an iPhone out of nothing but thin air..... hahahahahahahaha.... sure.

It's an interesting way to market a subsidy, really, very novel. You "won" a phone, all you have to do is pay the service contract for 24 months :o

No, you just won an iPhone out of nothing but thin air..... hahahahahahahaha.... sure.

It's an interesting way to market a subsidy, really, very novel. You "won" a phone, all you have to do is pay the service contract for 24 months :D

buy a iphone with 24month mus pay services.. :o

It's an interesting way to market a subsidy, really, very novel. You "won" a phone, all you have to do is pay the service contract for 24 months :D

buy a iphone with 24months of services?? :o

"I can confirm DTAC do ask for your work permit for post-paid billing. As someone who is currently a DTAC postpaid customer, I can confirm that for at least the last year or so, you do not require a work permit. In fact, DTAC is the only carrier that does not require one, hence the popularity among foreigners."

I have AIS post-paid and got it without a work permit. I'm using it in my iPhone :D

DTAC accepts either a passport+ work permit OR a credit card. The dumb asses at DTAC still have no clue about retirees with retirement visas.

'No work permit required to register for dtac post-paid mobile service. With your passport and any credit card (VISA or Master Card), you can get your own post-paid mobile service with monthly invoice.'

'For non-Thai citizens registering to dtac post-paid services, the following documents are required: passport + credit card (Visa or Master Card) or passport + work permit.

For registering with credit card, the card will be used as a guarantee for the first 3-month usage. You can register at any dtac shop or service hall nationwide.'

Laughing about the 'free' Iphone .... :o

Edited by sniffdog

I'd much rather have an official unlocked one.

Official unlocked iphones are available from MBK but they are priced at about Bt2000 premium to others (I think they are imported from Hong Kong.) I bought one and have no problem upgrading software through iTunes. Well when I say no problems it does delete most of your Cydia Apps but it would do that with an AT&T phone.