Thai consulate- chicago

Ladies and gentlemen of this fourm,

I have been reading and at times posting for a little while now and There is ALOT of good info. here. Thank you. I went last week to the thai consulate in Chicago to apply for my Non imm

O visa. first let me tell you that it's NOT at the posted address of 35e. Wacker. It is at 700 Rush st.  I applied for a year visa they told me I was in luck because today it cost $40.00, Tomorrow the price goes up to $120.00 !  all I needed was two pictures of me ( passport type ) a copy of my Thai wife's passport and fill out a small sheet of paper. Oh yes, a copy of our marrage license. Thats all . the said it will be ready in three days. very nice .

I do have a question : if I stay In Thailand for a year and get an extended stay after that , Will there be any problems getting back to the U.S.A. for me ?

Now that My wife is here in the states with me My lawyer told me that she will need a travel doc. and a green card to get back in the states. Naturaly I paid the $435.00 , I want to keep the door open .

Thanks ,

Jeff1

I will be moving to Thailand next year with my Thai wife.  We also live in the US now and I have researched this.  If your wife lives in the US on a Green Card and leaves the US for a considerable amount of time (6 months to 1 year) and then you try to go back to the US with her, you will encounter problems upon re-entry into America.  It is my understanding that US authorities dont want Green Card holders to be gone for too long and Customs officials will give you a problem when you try to re-enter the country.  If you insist on keeping your wife on a Green Card, you will have to apply for a visa again when you wish to go back to the US to visit because US officials no longer recognize her green card if she is gone for too long.

The only solution I could come up with was to have my wife become a US Citizen and then she can come and go as she pleases.

The only solution I could come up with was to have my wife become a US Citizen and then she can come and go as she pleases.

Yes, I know someone who has gone that route.

The only problem is that she was not allowed to keep her Thai passport for some reason and so she has to get a visa to come to thailand.

She now applies for one year extensions.  This is probably the easiest solution but you will get the hassle of having to apply each year and having to get a re-entry if you want to visit US.

The only problem is that she was not allowed to keep her Thai passport for some reason and so she has to get a visa to come to thailand.

Assume this was long ago as it is not the case now.  She can have passports from both countries today.

Thank's guy's,

We do not want her to become a U.S. citizen so she can buy land / property(s) in thailand , set up a business and basicly not get charged farang price's. Is this the right way to go??

Or am I missing something?

But for ME I have heard that if I stay away from the U.S. for im not sure how long I will get a hard time when I come back!

Does anyone know about this ????? Is it posable for us to come and go as we please? We would like to come back every year or so.

Jeff1

We do not want her to become a U.S. citizen so she can buy land / property(s) in thailand , set up a business and basicly not get charged farang price's. Is this the right way to go??

Or am I missing something?

But for ME I have heard that if I stay away from the U.S. for im not sure how long I will get a hard time when I come back!

Does anyone know about this ????? Is it posable for us to come and go as we please? We would like to come back every year or so.

Jeff1

Jeff,

Your wife can become a US citizen and retain her Thai citizenship as well.  It will not affect her ability to buy, own, or lease property in Thailand.  The US says it is legal and in Thailand its somewhat of a gray area so when you are in-country, you just dont advertise the fact that your wife is a dual-citizen.  Its really very simple.

As far as you having a problem returning to the US after being gone so long, there is nothing to worry about.  Being US citizens, you can leave and return whenever you want and never have a problem.  Once you are a US citizen, you stay one for life and come and go as you please.  The only thing I know of that can jeopardize your US citizenship is defection, renouncement, or treason.  Upon re-entry to the US after a long period of time, you might get some over-zealous Customs agent at the airport asking a lot of questions but, as long as you did nothing illegal, just tell them the truth and they can never refuse you entry.

Right on brother, GO CUBS !!

Thank you for the good news!!!

This DOES  make my day.

The only thing I will miss about this place is baseball, Good pizza and normal beer ! ( you understand ) So I will have to

come back fairly often to stock up :o

Please feel free to email me anytime

Jeff

Upon re-entry to the US after a long period of time, you might get some over-zealous Customs agent at the airport asking a lot of questions but, as long as you did nothing illegal, just tell them the truth and they can never refuse you entry.

This is an important stage of re entering the US then most realize. Even with a super long line of tired travellers, an "over zealous" Customs agent can bark one question after another at you after looking at your passport, waiting for you to either look nervous or throw an attitude back at him/her. If you are cool and collective, smile its no problem and you go right on through. But if you act up, or in my case have alot of Cambodian VISAS then that customs agent will instantly send you into the dreaded "inspection section" that will begin with more AGENTS taking EVERY item out of your bags and questioning it.

Customs agents can be real dicks and if you lose your temper while they are ripping through your belongings, then they will enjoy their powertrip even more.