Patong Nightclubs, Bars Fail Fire Safety Check

saneroad

By Chutima Sidasathian Monday, January 19, 2009

MOST bars around Soi Bangla would fail to meet fire safety standards, a local official said today as Governor Dr Preecha Ruangjan made a surprise tour of seven Patong establishments.

All seven failed to meet required regulations, and owners were given seven days to improve or face closure. The Governor chatted happily with owners but took a no-nonsense approach.

''If there is a fire, which way do I run?'' he asked at least one owner. ''Your downstairs area is not safe.''

But there were signs at least one owner was safety-conscious: a new rear exit stairway was going in at the D Club in Bangla.

Like all the other bars, D Club was told to make further improvements.

At another large bar, while there were scores of extinguishers, the fire alarm did not work.

The other six bars and nightspots the Governor visited and marked as failures this afternoon on a whirlwind tour were Banana, Baya, Rock City, Tiger, Hollywood Discotheque and Taipan.

Full story: Patong Nightclubs, Bars Fail Fire Safety Check

Are you surprised? You could repeat the exercise almost anywhere in S E. Asia with the same results. In fact you could probably do it anywhere worldwide and come up with a list of fire/safety violations. It's the nature of the business, safety costs money and lowers profit. Fires, like airplane crashes, happen very rarely and usually only at other venues.

yeah, i agree LivinLOS. i am not surprised by the results at all, as safety rules are not really applied when constructing. a hotel i was working at in Patong during their pre opening 'forgot' to put in a fire exit, and they had no sprinklers in any rooms. they were quite miffed when i suggested that they have at least two fire extinguishers on each floor.

but i dont think the problem is limited to Thailand. anywhere in Asia, or the world, will have similar problems, as PhilHarries mentioned.

Today:

item-6---- on VDO at http://thainews.prd.go.th/newsenglish/prev...php?news_id=917

Phuket Governor orders seven bars in Phuket to improve their safety measures.

Seven bars and night clubs in Patong have been ordered to promptly improve their safety measures. The order was issued by Phuket Governor Preecha Ruangjan after he led officials to inspect night clubs and entertainment places in Patong’s Bangla, Thaveewong and Rat-Utit roads. Seven of them were found not to meet safety standards. The governor then ordered that they improve the facilities urgently. These include fire or emergency exits, not having any blockages at emergency exits, good standard fire extinguishers and emergency light systems. The governor also gave a deadline of 7 days for improvements or legal action will be taken against them. The authority will also run random checks on a monthly basis. Mr. Preecha emphasizes that Phuket is an international tourist destination and that safety must be the first priority.

------------

Day before:

item---7-- on VDO at http://thainews.prd.go.th/newsenglish/prev...php?news_id=915

Phuket authorities ran checks on bars and entertainment venues for safety measures and acted against narcotic drugs.

The operation is part of the 90 days campaign to fight against narcotic drugs’ which started in November and ends at the end of January. Officials from the provincial office reports that they ran checks in 150 night clubs and entertainment venues and found 9 of them violated the law. Following the fire at a night club in Bangkok, the Phuket Governor Mr. Preecha Ruangjan also ordered checks on 4 major pubs in Phuket city. They are Blue Marina, Fantasia, Timber Hut and Three Thru. Blue Marina was found to have only one entrance and exit and is ordered to quickly rectify. They also checked on internet shops and dormitories to make sure that they are narcotic free.

-----

Andaman News NBT (VHF dial) + Radio Thailand FM90.5 at 8.30am & perhaps repeats on Phuket Cable TV channel 1 at 7pm & 1am, broadcast to Phang Nga, Krabi & Phuket provinces & maybe Mazz Radio FM108 at 7pm in Phuket, weekdays & http://thainews.prd.go.th/newsenglish/

& www.YouTube.com/AndamanNews.com

Send comments to [email protected]