Farang Murdered In Chiang Mai

Paagai

I knew David only slightly, but believe him to have been a generous and trusting person. Possibly a little too trusting for his own good---but we will not know until the investigation is complete. His death is a loss to all who knew him. My condolences to his family and friends. RIP

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I knew David only slightly, but believe him to have been a generous and trusting person. Possibly a little too trusting for his own good---but we will not know until the investigation is complete. His death is a loss to all who knew him. My condolences to his family and friends. RIP

one of the first posters said we may never know the truth and sadly that is likely to be the case here in thailand.

one of the first posters said we may never know the truth and sadly that is likely to be the case here in thailand.

I think we know the only truth that is important here, that David was a good and wonderful man to many, and that he is now longer with us.

If you look at posts by Peekint or Paagai above, I think you will see that those who actually know something about this case (as opposed to the overwhelming majority of posters who are just speculating) believe the case will be solved and that the police are making good progress. That is my understanding also.

To all of you;

Be careful; after all, Thailand ranks 2th or 3rd in the world for murders, with a gun as weapon ! !

In Thailand, every day, an average of 10 people were killed ! ! Statistics for 2008.

To David:

R.I.P.

Firstly, my condolences to all the victim's family and friends.

Secondly, this crime did not involve any guns. As far as Thailand's ranking in murders over all, it is (according to this website: http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_mur_...ders-per-capita ) # 14 in the world. Still far to high, but let's stay somewhere in the neighbourhood of facts. I would be interested in the source for your statement, as I very much doubt that there are any (reliable) statistics for 2008 published anywhere.

/ Priceless

With all respects "Priceless";

Check this:

http://www.nationmaster.com/red/country/th...crime&all=1

As for the 10 murders a day, it was just on the Thai tv-news

To all of you;

Be careful; after all, Thailand ranks 2th or 3rd in the world for murders, with a gun as weapon ! !

In Thailand, every day, an average of 10 people were killed ! ! Statistics for 2008.

To David:

R.I.P.

Firstly, my condolences to all the victim's family and friends.

Secondly, this crime did not involve any guns. As far as Thailand's ranking in murders over all, it is (according to this website: http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_mur_...ders-per-capita ) # 14 in the world. Still far to high, but let's stay somewhere in the neighbourhood of facts. I would be interested in the source for your statement, as I very much doubt that there are any (reliable) statistics for 2008 published anywhere.

/ Priceless

With all respects "Priceless";

Check this:

http://www.nationmaster.com/red/country/th...crime&all=1

As for the 10 murders a day, it was just on the Thai tv-news

Well, I did look at your link, scrolled down to "Murders", then to "Murders (per capita)" and found exactly the same number I quoted before (14th of 62). What's your point?

Anyway, let's leave the statistics behind, out of respect for the deceased, his family and friends.

RIP

/ Priceless

Unfortunately violence is everywhere.... can't hide from it... we all try to avoid it. Nobody knows how long they have to live... I think the lesson from this sad event is that we should try our best to avoid putting ourselves in a position or place that would increase the chances of a violent crime being committed.

RIP

If you look at posts by Peekint or Paagai above, I think you will see that those who actually know something about this case (as opposed to the overwhelming majority of posters who are just speculating) believe the case will be solved and that the police are making good progress. That is my understanding also.

No-one here knows absolutely about this case. Much conflicting information. I hope they do make progress but Thailand does not have a good record. But yes let's hope.

The Shan are NOT a hilltribe but are a RACE. The Shan state in Burma is named after them and they traditionally inhabit towns and cities like the capital Taunggyyi. Knowing the Shan lads he went with, I doubt any of them would have done it, and I doubt any of them can drive a car either!

The Shan are NOT a hilltribe but are a RACE. The Shan state in Burma is named after them and they traditionally inhabit towns and cities like the capital Taunggyyi. Knowing the Shan lads he went with, I doubt any of them would have done it, and I doubt any of them can drive a car either!
At the risk of repeating myself, I visited David and his house guests numerous times, and am not aware of any Shan or Tai Yais being there. Supposition or just lousy journalism.

Hello everybody

I have been following the development of this thread with considerable interest - David was my brother, and I would like to thank all those who have paid tribute to his talent and his person in these pages.

For those of you with a less informed impression of my brother, I suggest you read the comments on the Timesonline reportage of the story, many of which are from former pupils:

I am writing this from Scotland and am unable to join you in Chiang Mai, but if any of you wish to contact me, please do so through my profile on this forum.

Regards

Andy Crisp

I didn't know David but I saw a performance of his choral group at the Chiang Mai University Art Museum a while back. He made the show extremely entertaining by introducing all the songs and offering interesting commentary. I hope the group is still together. Maybe they should put on a show in his honor? Here's a couple of photos I took.

post-15058-1233040626_thumb.jpg

post-15058-1233040746_thumb.jpg

Off topic posts have been deleted. let me reiterate Boo's point here, and one that has been made throughout this thread. This thread is NOT about the Shan, you wish to discuss the Shan or any other hill tribes please feel free to start a new topic about it.

Lets do try to remember that this man had friends and family who are very concerned to find out what really happened and to hear from those who cared about their friend and loved one. Bear that in mind when posting, thanks

I didn't know David but I saw a performance of his choral group at the Chiang Mai University Art Museum a while back. He made the show extremely entertaining by introducing all the songs and offering interesting commentary. I hope the group is still together. Maybe they should put on a show in his honor? Here's a couple of photos I took.

post-15058-1233040626_thumb.jpg

post-15058-1233040746_thumb.jpg

I agree. I am seeing a choir member soon and will suggest it. Obviously at a respectful time.

Two arrested over Scottish teacher's murder in Thailand

Two men suspected of murdering a former British music teacher in Thailand were arrested today, sources said.

David Crisp was found dead - reportedly with his throat cut - at his home in Chiang Mai, last week.

Mr Crisp, a former head of music at Lasswade High in Bonnyrigg, Midlothian, lived and ran a business in the city, north of Bangkok, which is popular with expatriates.

Thai police were expected to make an official announcement about the arrests of two of three suspects later, the source said.

- The Herald (Scotland) / 2009-01-29

Tribe member arested after ritual killing of ex-teacher

POLICE in Thailand today arrested a member of the Akha hill tribe for the murder of long-serving Lothian music teacher David Crisp, who was found brutally stabbed and beaten at his home in the northern Thai capital of Chiang Mai.

Officers said Crisp was murdered last week for the equivalent of £100 and a few personal belongings � after he upset his hill tribe house guests by complaining about their dirty habits.

At a press conference in Chiang Mai today 22-yr-old Awe Ye

Piang, a member of the Akha hill tribe whose villages straddle the Burma, Thai, and Lao borders, was paraded before photographers.

Police said he had confessed to carrying out the murders with two members of the Shan hill tribe, nicknamed Jack and John.

All three worked at a gay bar in Chiang Mai's night market and had frequently been taken from the bar by Mr Crisp.

Derby-born Mr Crisp, who had been a music teacher at Lasswade High School for more than 30 years, is understood to have moved to the area in 2007, after taking early retirement.

Police Captain Phanudet Booruang said: "Awe Ye Piang, who had a history of involvement with drugs, was arrested on a warrant issued by Chiang Mai court. He quickly confessed to the murder."

Police, with the help of Border Police officers, had tracked him down to Burma after he fled the country. He was arrested as he crossed the border back into Thailand, opposite the Thai settlement of Mai Chan.

- Evening News (Scotland) / 2009-01-29

There is confusion in the Thai press regarding tribal identifies of the suspected killers. Akha seems to be predominant, which verifies my own observations in David's home before the murder. One suspect may be Burmese. We continue to await further press reports. Thank you for your concern.