Business Telephone Rates To The U.s.a.

newbegin4

I make a lot of business calls, and if I move to Thailand to be with my fiance, I'll have to be on the phone a lot back to the states. During my earlier, and first, trip to Thailand, I borrowed a cell phone and it was 4 baht per minute (I think) and the quality/realiability was not very good.

Aside from the hassle of getting a traditional landline phone, would it be a better option as far as economics and quality are concerned?

I'll be in the Udonthani area. Recomendations and approximate cost info would be highly appreciated, thanks!

SKYPE is what I use. $0.021 per minute for both landlines and mobile phones in the US.

If any of your customers also use SKYPE then you can talk for free.

You can also set up a US number that your customers can call and it will go either to your SKYPE phone or can even be forwarded to your mobile in Thailand.

Key point... get the fastest internet connection available. I use 1 meg and rarely have problems, but the faster the better.

SKYPE is what I use. $0.021 per minute for both landlines and mobile phones in the US.

You can also set up a US number that your customers can call and it will go either to your SKYPE phone or can even be forwarded to your mobile in Thailand.

Key point... get the fastest internet connection available. I use 1 meg and rarely have problems, but the faster the better.

Well I considered VoIP, I use Vonage now, but from everything I have read here on these forums, the internet is not reliable enough for making good quality voice calls overseas to customers (can't have dropped calls, and other problems). I'd love to be wrong.... :o

So a landline is my preferred option and I'd appreciate hearing feedback from others on this forum, thanks! How is traditional landline telephone working for you guys in terms of price, voice quality and reliability?

• 2 weeks later...

i have several asterisk ip telephony linux servers running in bangkok. Besides fixed telephony lines we use both domestic and international voip providers for call termination.

if you don't have a leased line with guaranteed international bandwidth, i would highly recommend you to use a domestic voip provider to avoid any connection problems.

pm me for further information...

Well I considered VoIP, I use Vonage now, but from everything I have read here on these forums, the internet is not reliable enough for making good quality voice calls overseas to customers (can't have dropped calls, and other problems). I'd love to be wrong.... :o

So a landline is my preferred option and I'd appreciate hearing feedback from others on this forum, thanks! How is traditional landline telephone working for you guys in terms of price, voice quality and reliability?

• 2 months later...

Well, tell us more. How many calls, how many minutes per m,onth? Can you get broadband?

I use www.skype.com for both, a U.S. phone number weith 10 minute long voice mail and a monthly plan of ~ $ 3 for 10,000 minutes calling time. So folks can call a U.S. number and reach me wherever I may be. Or I can call for hours every day for a few bucks a month. If the connection is good, the quality of the call is good. Check it out! DSL tens to be bundled with a regular land line.

I'll be in the Udonthani area. Recomendations and approximate cost info would be highly appreciated, thanks!

• 2 weeks later...