Medical certificate/note for retirement visa

I'm living in LOS currently on a tourist visa. I will be back in the States in early Oct. and will apply at the New York Consulate for a retirement visa. I went to Bumrungrad and obtained a doctor's certificate which states that I am well enough to retire in Thailand. I just came from the U.S. Embassy where I went to have the certificate notorised. I was told that first, I had to have it translated into English, and then, bring it to The Ministry of Foreign Affairs to have it 'certified' or some other bullshit (at God knows what cost, never mind the long taxi rides). The first translation office I walked into looked at the certificate and said that if I had obtained a certificate from one of the "Government" hospitals, the issuing hospital would certify it on the spot. What gives? I thought this would be routine ... maybe easier to see a doc in the States and have it notorised there ??

Lance_a_lot,

I was asked to provide a "medical certificate" for the purposes of applying for a work permit here in Bangkok. So, I visited Phya Thai 1 hospital and asked to see a doctor. After about 20 minutes wait (no appointment required) I met the doctor. I explained what I needed and he gave me a very quick check-over. Interestingly, he didn't ask if I felt unwell or had any medical problems!

The doctor asked if I wanted the letter in Thai or English. I asked for Thai, and he signed a standard letter. I then paid a fee (I do mean fee, not bribe!) of about 200 baht. The certificate was accepted by the work permit officials. My understanding is Phya Thai is a private hospital.

For reference, I am aged 32 years old. I don't know if they will require a more thorough checkup if you are of retirement age. Why not try Phya Thai? You could ask for Thai & English versions if you think it may be necessary. Or if you prefer, just try a government hospital now. I've visited a government hospital one time before (in Nong Khai) and there were no problems, other than a slower service. You get what you pay for.

Hope this is vaguely useful.

Brian