New Zealand Woman Mauled By Tiger

sriracha john

awhile ago, a woman jogger was jumped, mauled and killed by a wild cougar along a California pathway. She was menstruating at the time.

could that have been a factor? just a thought.

either way, sorry to hear about the serious injury.

yes, i think so.

happens with elephants in musk too. but milton bentley is the expert there and hope he will respond

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope Ruth's doing well and hope the claims stuff is rubbish. It's a lovely park and had the chance to pat these Tigers myself, would hate to see that taken away.

toybits and Ger..akid, sorry but all a bit self righeous arn't we! What's to say Ruth fully understood the danger and would happily do it again as she felt better for the experience of being close to one of natures beasts. Your comment is simply narrow minded and boiler plate ra ra ra influential/corruption ra ra ar ar arra ra. Have you been to this park? Be a little more creative next time!

Self righteous to understand that a Tiger is a wild animal that belongs in its natural habitat? What does it take to get people to understand that Tigers are predators. No matter how docile or tame looking, they are natural killers. That is what they are suited to do. Anything can turn the switch that sets the tiger into hunter killer mode. These tigers are not like Tigger from Winnie the Pooh.

I'm all for keeping animals "free range" if they are in captivity, however, it goes against natural law, to introduce what for all intents and purposes is dinner into that environment and to then expect that nothing will happen. Don't you find it odd, that the wildlife bilogists that study these creatures undertake alot of prrecautions before going near them, and yet it's deemed ok for people with no experience with the creatures to be in their presence? It is a dangerous practice. If one gets mauled in the process, it is to be expected.

feat93.jpg

Is it just me? As to me this tiger already looks pretty irritated and the lady doesn't have a clue.

The tiger looks the lady in the face, what does that mean in the tiger 'language'? I know in the dog language it means 'back off'. In other words, with dogs in their language it can be a clear warning.

Then the lady has one arm over the tiger. How do tigers receive this? Again with dogs I know that many don't appreciate it when strangers do that to them. And when warning doesn't work a bite can follow.

Touching the head and whithers of dominant dogs is a no-no. How is this with tigers?

absolutly right, nienke. your questions are i think rhetorical but to answer them.m tigers have it in spades

Partly rhetorical, partly I really am interested in the ways animals speak. Time to read/study the few books I have on cat language/behavior. :o

yes the tiger is saying back off ( as with dogs) and she is giving a look suggesting conflict. the tiger doesnt see the smile as a human would. he sees aggression and takes itb as arefusal to back off. only my personal view of course!

my main point is:: don't play with wild animals (domestics are different) the practice should be illegal in thailand but too much money at stake

i've never seen a thai in the enclosure and few asians (and they kept well back) they respect natural wildlife.

Are some of these animals given drugs to sedate them or at least make them more docile? I have seen lots of photos of these animals that seemed to look drugged. Anyone have a take on this? Was Pancake coming to her senses - coming out of a drug-induced daze?

NZ aid worker mauled in Thai tiger enclosure

Mrs Corlett travelled to Thailand with her husband and three children in 2007 to work with an organisation that runs orphanages, emergency relief, and development programmes on the Thai border.

If you asked these do-gooders whether you could bring bus loads of tourists into their orphanages so they could take pictures of, and mess about with, the children for the pure enjoyment of those tourists, you would be understandably rebuked. But lets take a wild animal and put it in an unnatural surrounding and have those same tourists invade its personal space, poke it in the eye and generally treat it like a toy poodle and that's a perfectly okay thing to do. No sympathy.

Are some of these animals given drugs to sedate them or at least make them more docile? I have seen lots of photos of these animals that seemed to look drugged. Anyone have a take on this? Was Pancake coming to her senses - coming out of a drug-induced daze?

I don't know how they do it here, but many of the zoos in China drug their tigers so mum and dad can take pictures of their single brat jumping up and down on it to the great enjoyment of the onlookers. Still, it could be argued that it's a slightly better way of treating it than grinding various bits of its body up to use as medicine.

Husband tells of horror tiger attack on aid worker wife

A New Zealand aid worker has told of watching a tiger bite his wife in the leg and then attempt to drag her away.

The incident happened at a tiger enclosure in Thailand that allows people to pat tigers that have been domesticated and trained.

Stuart Corlett and his wife Ruth were at the Khumsu Chiang Mai Tiger Centre with their three children on Sunday when a female tiger called Pancake suddenly clamped down on Mrs Corlett's leg, just missing her femoral artery.

She had crouched beside the tiger, posing for a photograph, when the trainer told her to stand up.

"The tiger jumped up and bit her in the leg. It narrowly missed her femoral artery - the bite was two inches away. If it had severed that artery she would have had minutes to live," Mr Corlett said.

She is recovering at home from the ordeal. The family have lived in Thailand for nine years and work for a relief agency that helps refugees on Thailand's border.

Mr Corlett said reports that his wife had touched the tiger on the top of its head and that her sleeve caught the tiger's eye were wrong.

"The trainer hit the tiger on the head with a stick just before the bite."

He added that photographs showed his wife wasn't even wearing a long-sleeved shirt so that couldn't have caught the tiger's eye.

A friend of the couple, Auckland teacher Daniel Charman, tried to pull the tigers jaws open but couldn't and the tiger attempted to drag Mrs Corlett away. "He grabbed hold of [Mr Charman's] leg so it couldn't drag her away. The trainer whacked it on the nose then turned and left. They [staff] said he was going to warn others but in my opinion he was fearful for his own safety."

The tiger let go of Mrs Corlett's leg and she was left bleeding on the ground.

"Daniel picked her up and threw her over his shoulder and they got out of the enclosure."

Mr Corlett said staff at the centre were ill-equipped to deal with a medical emergency. There was no first aid kit and they were told the only medical officer was on a day off. She was eventually taken to hospital in the back of a staff member's Toyota Corolla suffering from shock and barely conscious. Her wound required 54 stitches.

Mr Corlett told the Herald last night he was told by a tour guide the tigers were probably sedated. "My opinion is the tiger was coming out of a sedated state and was confused and probably grumpy."

The couple have spoken to their lawyer and hope to settle out of court. They want Mrs Corlett's medical expenses paid but would only settle if the tiger centre sets up a safety committee and has a clear policy manual.

- New Zealand Herald / 50 minutes ago

There was no first aid kit and they were told the only medical officer was on a day off. She was eventually taken to hospital in the back of a staff member's Toyota Corolla suffering from shock and barely conscious. Her wound required 54 stitches.

welcome to thailand.

hope she recovers quickly.

Mr Corlett said staff at the centre were ill-equipped to deal with a medical emergency. There was no first aid kit and they were told the only medical officer was on a day off. She was eventually taken to hospital in the back of a staff member's Toyota Corolla suffering from shock and barely conscious. Her wound required 54 stitches.

Will I agree that that anyone entering the tiger habitat should have known about the risc but again to read about an establishment without proper medical equipment for situations that the SHOULD have trained for stinks of lack of planning and ability to take responsibility for the real risk involved as an entrepreneur.

So from that angle, I think the lady is more than welcome to sue the establishment for lack of proper safety procedures or equipment. Failing to establish even a basic level of protection must a derelict of duty and punishable.

feat93.jpg

Is it just me? As to me this tiger already looks pretty irritated and the lady doesn't have a clue.

The tiger looks the lady in the face, what does that mean in the tiger 'language'? I know in the dog language it means 'back off'. In other words, with dogs in their language it can be a clear warning.

Then the lady has one arm over the tiger. How do tigers receive this? Again with dogs I know that many don't appreciate it when strangers do that to them. And when warning doesn't work a bite can follow.

Touching the head and whithers of dominant dogs is a no-no. How is this with tigers?

absolutly right, nienke. your questions are i think rhetorical but to answer them.m tigers have it in spades

Partly rhetorical, partly I really am interested in the ways animals speak. Time to read/study the few books I have on cat language/behavior. :o

I still have one of your books on Cats Nieke! Confess to not having read it all through yet.

What little i know about cat behaviour (which I have no idea if relates to Tiger behaviour) is to watch out for some things like tail twitching, this is the first sign of mild annoyance and a warning, if you continue to the point where their tails start wagging/swishing/banging, then be prepared to receive a scratch or bite. If you stare a cat in the eyes, its a challenge. Cats wink/blink and narrow their eyes into slits when they view you as a non-threat and feel relaxed and comfortable. If you get an outright stare, then back off, because they feel intimidated. Ears pulled back are another sign of them feeling threatened (this is a getting ready to fight pose, as they are protecting a prone area) and they will react strongly if you try to touch them. Dont pet their lower bodies unless the animal knows you well, is feeling very relaxed, or is very domesticated. Particularly do not do this if they are relaxing and not so aware of you as they can instinctively react. Hovering a had over their face/head is also going to provoke a reaction in the same way. They like slow gentle movements and soft sounds. Also cats are very playful and seem to turn simple things like a piece of string into an imagined snake or something equally weird to "prey" upon or attack. Its really easy to get a scratch or nip just from a playful domestic cat.

Im sure the kitty experts on the board will be able to offer more, but thats some basics i can think of.

Still looking forward to the day that an elephant goes berserk in Sukhumvit Soi 7/1 .....

And nine years living in Thailand ... they should have known the consequences .... they were not ordinary ignorant tourists ....

This has crossed my mind a few times.

I am sure that a pissed off Elephant could cause carnage in somewhere like Soi Cowboy for example.

Will I agree that that anyone entering the tiger habitat should have known about the risc but again to read about an establishment without proper medical equipment for situations that the SHOULD have trained for stinks of lack of planning and ability to take responsibility for the real risk involved as an entrepreneur.

So from that angle, I think the lady is more than welcome to sue the establishment for lack of proper safety procedures or equipment. Failing to establish even a basic level of protection must a derelict of duty and punishable.

i agree with you and sympathise but we do not have western law here. in thailand the law - as i have already stated is clear - look up the civil and criminal code yourself - she signed a waiver. end of story.

in the uk she could sue and win. in thailand she signed away that right knowingly.

I wasn't arguing the merit of a lawsuit under the current law, I was arguing how it should be.

If one pretends to have a proper establishment but are in fact cheating on safety the customers cannot valid a valid judgment on ones safety (or the value of the waiver) and the owners of the establishment need to be brought to justice for it.

One thing I advocate strongly is freedom and empowering consumers with information so their choice is made on valid base.

I wasn't arguing the merit of a lawsuit under the current law, I was arguing how it should be.

If one pretends to have a proper establishment but are in fact cheating on safety the customers cannot valid a valid judgment on ones safety (or the value of the waiver) and the owners of the establishment need to be brought to justice for it.

One thing I advocate strongly is freedom and empowering consumers with information so their choice is made on valid base.

oh yes, i agree - she SHOULD be allowed to sue, the management SHOULD have been made to be more safety conscious ( training, medical kits etc) and it is disgusting that the keeper ran away to find help!! but this is TIT. I would like to see these shows banned. But farang keep supporting them.

In summary I do not make Thai laws and whatever I or others think of them or comment on them is not relevant. When in Thailand it is only Thai law that is relevant

feat93.jpg

Ruth Corlett with Pancake the tiger just before the attack.

New Zealand Herald

NZ aid worker mauled in Thai tiger enclosure

A New Zealand woman is in hospital after being mauled by a tiger in Thailand. Ruth Corlett, 45, was at an enclosure on Sunday with her family when the female tiger jumped at her and bit her leg.

Mrs Corlett was rushed to hospital, where she received 54 stitches on the wound.

Thai media reported that Mrs Corlett touched the year-old tiger's head before it jumped at her in the Khumsu Chiang Mai Tiger Centre.

Mrs Corlett travelled to Thailand with her husband and three children in 2007 to work with an organisation that runs orphanages, emergency relief, and development programmes on the Thai border.

Her husband, Stuart Corlett, said last night that his wife was still in hospital and was doing "okay".

"It was just at one of those tiger places where people are allowed to play with the tigers," he said. "She was near one of them and the thing just jumped up and bit her in the leg. But she's okay now."

The owners of the tiger enclosure have offered to pay for all of Mrs Corlett's medical expenses.

A staff member at the enclosure said the tiger that attacked Mrs Corlett - named Pancake - was usually very friendly and had been trained to stay with humans.

"Pancake has never bitten anyone before, despite being played with by tourists very often," the staff member said.

"The [New Zealand] woman touched the tiger on its head and suddenly the sleeve of her arm, or the cloth of her shirt, got into the eye of the tiger and the tiger got irritated."

Local Thai media reported that Mr Corlett is looking to sue the Chiang Mai tiger enclosure, but the Herald could not confirm this last night.

Staff at the centre have said that the case has not been filed with police.

- New Zealand Herald / 2009-01-27

I notice that the Tiger didn't swallow?? I've been across the ditch and I didn't find them all that tasty either :o:D

I don't understand why the victim is being slagged off here. In New Zealand, if there was some kind of tourist operation, punters would feel 100% safe - or as safe as possible - as they would know that such an operation must take all security measures in hand and that they would do their best to ensure the safety of visitors. She must also have assumed this, after all it is a tourist attraction. Maybe she was ignorant about tigers, but then so am I, and I went into the cage a few months back (never again), which was stupid, but certainly not enough to get the entire 'serves her right' attitude from everyone. The Tiger Kingdom, by all accounts is extremely irresponsible, they should be investigated. But of course that won't happen. And a few months down the raod we will probably read another similar post. There will always be tourists who are ignorant, they don't deserve to be injured, it is up to the operator and law enforcement to make sure this doesn't happen again. Yeah, like that is going to happen.

A stupid ignorant local who also went into a cage a few months back.

I don't understand why the victim is being slagged off here. In New Zealand, if there was some kind of tourist operation, punters would feel 100% safe - or as safe as possible - as they would know that such an operation must take all security measures in hand and that they would do their best to ensure the safety of visitors. She must also have assumed this, after all it is a tourist attraction. Maybe she was ignorant about tigers, but then so am I, and I went into the cage a few months back (never again), which was stupid, but certainly not enough to get the entire 'serves her right' attitude from everyone. The Tiger Kingdom, by all accounts is extremely irresponsible, they should be investigated. But of course that won't happen. And a few months down the raod we will probably read another similar post. There will always be tourists who are ignorant, they don't deserve to be injured, it is up to the operator and law enforcement to make sure this doesn't happen again. Yeah, like that is going to happen.

Firstly, this type of operation would be illegal in NZ, and most of the west. Any zoo manager that allowed their wild animals to be drugged, or tamed, so that tourists could enter the cage for the purpose of stroking it, would be arrested under the cruelty to animals act. Yes, The Tiger Kingdom is totally irresponsible, but not for the reason you say.

Secondly, there is no way that such an operation can be made 100% safe. It's a tiger for crying out loud! Do you really think it's just a big stripey pussy cat that wants to sit on your lap? As many posters have said, even a soft little pussy cat will bite and scratch occasionally, why would a wild animal be any different? The only way it could be made totally safe would be to shoot the tiger, stuff it and then allow tourists to do what they liked with it. You say you believed it was safe to go into the cage when you visited? Why? Would you go for a swim in a crocadile infested river if someone told you it was safe?

Thirdly, why did you want to go into the cage anyway? Did it give you a thrill to be with a wild animal that was either sedated or under the supposed control of its trainer? This is a genuine question, as I cannot think of one reason that would get me in there. Apart from the obvious safety issue there is also the ethical one. Anybody supporting these operations by paying to pose with a caged wild animal deserves what they get.

And why did the 'trainer' felt the need to hit the tiger on the head? :o

A friend of the couple, Auckland teacher Daniel Charman, tried to pull the tigers jaws open but couldn't and the tiger attempted to drag Mrs Corlett away. "He grabbed hold of [Mr Charman's] leg so it couldn't drag her away. The trainer whacked it on the nose then turned and left. They [staff] said he was going to warn others but in my opinion he was fearful for his own safety."

"Daniel picked her up and threw her over his shoulder and they got out of the enclosure."

Holy cow! If that's true, you really need to have the guts to do that. He risked his own life to safe hers. That's what you call a true friend! Many thumps up for Daniel Charman.

Well, we arent in New Zealand are we.

We live here and must respect thai law, whatever we think of it compared to the Western model. I hope everyone gives up on saying she can sue ( see my posts and those of other posters) because she waived her right in thai law to do that.

I don't believe in slagging and I have not done so but she was not using even common sense to go into an enclosure with a wild animal - and she had been in thailand what 12 years was it?

And those who do enter are not respecting the animals' rights. One poster pertinently remarked how she would like it if we went to her orphanage and made it into a peep show

Paying establishments like this encourages owners. Boycott them and give up the pleasure(?) you would have gained from the thrill of being photographed with a wild animal

I agree standards were bad but this is Thailand. Both tourists and those living here as long as she has should know the facts of life about thai businesses

Holy cow! If that's true, you really need to have the guts to do that. He risked his own life to safe hers. That's what you call a true friend! Many thumps up for Daniel Charman.

Yes bravo daniel - right into the lion's den ( sorry for pun)

and your point about the keeper hitting the head seems to indicate what caused the attack. but have you seen how thais treat their dogs ( sorry of course you have - but other tv posters may not)

don't say holy cow, nienke. you know how some posters are; they'll now go off topic and ask what cows were doing in the enclosure. this is tv. keep it simple

your math is worse than mine, dinthailand. They came in 2007. :o

But never mind how long she's been here, would it have made a difference if she had been a regular tourist? or a kid? Don't you think the trainers bear some responsibility towards not only their charges but to their customers as well?

Yes bravo daniel - right into the lion's den ( sorry for pun)

and your point about the keeper hitting the head seems to indicate what caused the attack. but have you seen how thais treat their dogs ( sorry of course you have - but other tv posters may not)

don't say holy cow, nienke. you know how some posters are; they'll now go off topic and ask what cows were doing in the enclosure. this is tv. keep it simple

:D:D

So true.

Firstly, this type of operation would be illegal in NZ, and most of the west. Any zoo manager that allowed their wild animals to be drugged, or tamed, so that tourists could enter the cage for the purpose of stroking it, would be arrested under the cruelty to animals act. Yes, The Tiger Kingdom is totally irresponsible, but not for the reason you say.

Secondly, there is no way that such an operation can be made 100% safe. It's a tiger for crying out loud! Do you really think it's just a big stripey pussy cat that wants to sit on your lap? As many posters have said, even a soft little pussy cat will bite and scratch occasionally, why would a wild animal be any different? The only way it could be made totally safe would be to shoot the tiger, stuff it and then allow tourists to do what they liked with it. You say you believed it was safe to go into the cage when you visited? Why? Would you go for a swim in a crocadile infested river if someone told you it was safe?

Thirdly, why did you want to go into the cage anyway? Did it give you a thrill to be with a wild animal that was either sedated or under the supposed control of its trainer? This is a genuine question, as I cannot think of one reason that would get me in there. Apart from the obvious safety issue there is also the ethical one. Anybody supporting these operations by paying to pose with a caged wild animal deserves what they get.

the law in nz is irrelevant

and your point in bold lacks compassion. better to take positive action and boycott these "shows" than wish ill on someone

and your point about the keeper hitting the head seems to indicate what caused the attack.

Can not make a conclusion like that. Maybe the tiger was arroused already that much (after all the animal was taken away from another tiger earlier becaused it 'played' too much) that an attack was inevitable. And it is possible that the 'trainer' saw or felt that and tried to 'control' the tiger by hitting it.

but have you seen how thais treat their dogs

That's a generalization I feel uncomfortable with. Through my work I also know many Thai dog and cat owners who love their animal/s dearly and take good care of them. Not even to mention all those who are involved in real animal rescue work.

:o

Edited by Nienke