Accomodation Koh Chang - Lonely Beach

Franklin

Hi,

Wheres the best place for accomodation which is relatively next to or close within a few minuties walking distance to Lonely beach? Budget anywhere between 1500 - 2500 THB.

Also where's the best place for elephant trekking on Koh Chang? Also how much for the average trek?

Cheers

Edited by Franklin

Hi,

Wheres the best place for accomodation which is relatively next to or close within a few minuties walking distance to Lonely beach? Budget anywhere between 1500 - 2500 THB.

Also where's the best place for elephant trekking on Koh Chang? Also how much for the average trek?

Cheers

I really enjoyed Warapura. For 2500, I think you'd get one of their oceanfront rooms. Right at peak season, my ocean-view room was 1500. Very nice place, breakfast is fair-to-middlin'.

I've been meaning to put together a review of my trip, haven't gotten around to it yet, but:

Siam Hut has the cheapest AND best phad thai that I found. For 55 baht, I expected a tiny plate, but it was enough for a lunch by itself. I ate there several times, and all of the dishes I tried were good and well-prepared.

BB Divers has ok Mexican-ish food, very salty however.

There's a French place on the little gravel/rock/dirt side road down to Warapura, quite nice food, and the owners are very pleasant people to talk with. IIRC, it's called Saiah (I don't have my notes with me). Pricey, but worth it for a few meals.

Joy's Kitchen, the baked goods are pretty good, the fish I got wasn't grilled enough, but at least looked fresh and in good health. It appeared that they were just serving up the day's catch, shown off on ice at the front; you could pick whatever you wanted (this fish, five of those shrimp, no, not that one...) and they'd give you a price.

(Most places in Thailand, I wouldn't even touch the seafood at the restaurants because their fishtanks were filled with fungus-covered half-dead fish, poor things. I mean, really, if a restaurant wants to show off what it's going to be serving to you, why on earth would they want to make you run away?)

If you're coming in through Bangkok, and if you're up for some Italian food, try La Buca on Sukhumvit Soi 1 (maybe 300 meters up the soi from Sukhumvit). Pricey, but excellent.

Thanks very much will look into it.

So these are closest to the beach?

is Bhumiyama any good? I heard its pretty far from the beach.

Cheers

Warapura is close to, but not on, Lonely Beach. Maybe 10-15 minutes' walk.

Bhumiyama looked nice from the outside, but I was quoted 2900, so didn't go in. It's a little closer than Warapura.

• 2 weeks later...

i am on koh chang right now- lived on lonely beach for a year around 2004, and am amazed at how much it has changed in the 5 years since i have been gone! it used to be a very quiet beach with just basic huts and mostly jungle around. it still has the jungle though a lot of encroachment has happened since then, and gone are most of the basic huts. i am staying at kachapura, which is cheaper than warapura but i actually like it better. very nice rooms with all amenities (though it tends to run out of hot water), walking distance from everything you need. the beach has become too crowded for me- now with plastic floats and beach chairs and loads of kids- kind of a disappointment. there is actually a little village now too, though it has a laid back, hippie feeling to it rather than an overdeveloped feel. lots of open air bars and restaurants. the thing i love about koh chang is that the roads are paved, so i can drive a motorbike all around the island, though some of the hills are daunting and there is a lot more traffic than there was before. it's a gorgeous drive with beautiful views along the way. may head to the herbal sauna at bai lan this afternoon and then to bang bao this evening for fresh seafood. very happy to be here and i definitely recommend it despite the changes.

i am on koh chang right now- lived on lonely beach for a year around 2004, and am amazed at how much it has changed in the 5 years since i have been gone! it used to be a very quiet beach with just basic huts and mostly jungle around. it still has the jungle though a lot of encroachment has happened since then, and gone are most of the basic huts. i am staying at kachapura, which is cheaper than warapura but i actually like it better. very nice rooms with all amenities (though it tends to run out of hot water), walking distance from everything you need. the beach has become too crowded for me- now with plastic floats and beach chairs and loads of kids- kind of a disappointment. there is actually a little village now too, though it has a laid back, hippie feeling to it rather than an overdeveloped feel. lots of open air bars and restaurants. the thing i love about koh chang is that the roads are paved, so i can drive a motorbike all around the island, though some of the hills are daunting and there is a lot more traffic than there was before. it's a gorgeous drive with beautiful views along the way. may head to the herbal sauna at bai lan this afternoon and then to bang bao this evening for fresh seafood. very happy to be here and i definitely recommend it despite the changes.

How much is your place at kachapura? And warapura?

kachapura was 800b per night, warapura i was quoted 1900b per night, and i didn't think it was that much better though it has sea views, wifi, and a pool.

check out eclipse- a small restaurant in the soi running next to kachapura... it's my friends' place (canadian woman with a thai boyfriend) and they are lovely people. free wifi there too.

also, i really liked the mexican food at barrio bonito, though it was overpriced for small portions. friendly people there though, great music, and a nice pool at BB divers next to it.

and the herbal sauna in bai lan was also great. have a fresh juice and chat with the people there if you go- i spent a pleasant few hours there.

Edited by girlx