First Time In Buriram

sparky38

i am stayin in buriram for the first time in the middle of jan visiting my gf's family for the first time.

any advice would be welcome on where to stay- bars to go -and places to eat.

will be there for about 3 days(so far) only ever stayed in bkk and pattaya before.

cheers

sparky

Hello Sparky,

Buriram is not Bangkok or Pattaya, so don't expect all the comforts and tourist assistance you find in those places. Having said that, Buriram is a wonderful place to be if you like rural Thailand and is out to experience "Unseen Thailand". There are lots and lots of good places to eat and drink but just about the only place where you will find palatable Farang food is the Bamboo Bar in the center of town. But why eat farang food when in Thailand? Go to the night market and eat yourself to a stand-still for around 25 Baht. During the day you can eat at any of the many small shops and restaurants in town. I'm sure your gf will know just the place.

If you don't want to stay with the family, you can always stay at the Thepnakorn Hotel which, to my standard, is very good value for money with big, clean and comfortable rooms at a reasonable price. I have'nt been there for a while but if I remember correctly, I paid around 600 Baht per day. There are other hotels in town which will place you closer to the action and are much cheaper too, but I stayed in one of them only once and promised myself not to go back there.

There is one big shopping mall (Taweekit) where you can buy just about anything you need. It also contains two theaters but all the movies are dubbed in Thai. Only sometimes do you get lucky to have English sub-titles.

Just relax and adjust to a life in the country. It's great and the people are very friendly and helpful. Even more so than in Bkk and Pattaya.

Lourens, good information, i could not have done better, well done.

Hope he enjoys Buriram, one of the better places on earth, there is a good hotel, guest house, opposite the Vong tong hotel, air con rooms, very very clean, this place was gutted a couple of years back so everything is new, and it is very friendly, the one other thing it is only 250 baht a night, it is called the BOOK & BED, a ferang friend of mine, his neice and her husband own it. and not far from town.

Edited by Thaicoon

Thiacoon

dont suppose you have any contact details for that hotel -i tried a search on google but couldnt find it.

how far is it from the airport and how much should i be charged??

been ripped off once or twice at Bkk airport!!!

cheers for the info so far lourens an thaicoon

Buriram Airport is about 40Km from town and there is a taxi service for 400 Baht. This is a fixed charge but the driver will usually ask for maybe 50 - 100 Baht extra if you are going to a village outside of town. There are no metered taxis in Buriram, only pickups, tuk-tuks, motorcycles and samlors (three wheeled bicycles). Be sure to fix a price before you enter a transport as a farang is fair game to make a few extra bucks. All of these modes of transport are cheap, depending on how far you're going of course.

A nice place to visit while you are here is to go to Panom Rung. These are old Khamer ruins about an hours' drive from Buriram and is well worth the trip. My wife and I took a friend there a couple of months ago (before we had a car) and a private taxi charged us 1000 Baht for the day. Also, just outside of Buriram is the Big Buddah immage on top of an old volcano. From here you can get a good overview of the area. Be sure to ring the bells for good luck.

Happy to help. Please feel free if you need any more info.

Thiacoon

dont suppose you have any contact details for that hotel -i tried a search on google but couldnt find it.

how far is it from the airport and how much should i be charged??

been ripped off once or twice at Bkk airport!!!

cheers for the info so far    lourens an thaicoon

If you ask the taxi to take you to the vong thong hotel, just before you go into the carpark in the front the book and bed is about 100 yards on the left hand side, it is a corner property, i am sorry but i do not know the name of that soi, it is a very small place only has about 6 or 7 rooms, but 100%, i will try to find there e-mail for you, i will fax my mate and ask him.

Edited by Thaicoon