Watching Movies From A Usb Thumb Drive

ThaiLife

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've bought cheap DVDs and have found that the quality from the USB is not too good: stuttering poor lip synch etc. They can also take a long time to read the files. Another problem with the cheapies is that they don't read actual DVDs so well. Two I bought from Big C less than a year ago I have just thrown away and replaced with LG.

I have found LG DVDs work well with the USB (though for some reason the instruction manuals don't even cover how to work this facility; you have to work it out yourself). They also read some of the poorest quality DVDs and VCDs (I have a four year old so DVDs are badly mistreated). And they are very well-priced.

I'm no expert but I know what works for me hence the recommendation.

My question is about CD-R disks, not DVDs. This confuses me. If you can just copy an .avi directly to a thumb drive, why wouldn't it work copied direct (unprocessed) to a CD-R disk?

Yes you can play an Avi file burnt on a CD-R in your DVD Player.

Looked at the Egreat m34a in pantip today.Asking price was 7000 baht but went down to 6700 at first request.Seems good value for money.Has almost all the same featurers as Dvico media center,also same chipset,but is half price.

Is this The One

Picture1-7.png

Forum Review - LINK

TL

That's the one I'm talking about.It's only a little over the price in Us,with the transport costs calculated I think it is even cheaper here.

I've bought cheap DVDs and have found that the quality from the USB is not too good: stuttering poor lip synch etc. They can also take a long time to read the files. Another problem with the cheapies is that they don't read actual DVDs so well. Two I bought from Big C less than a year ago I have just thrown away and replaced with LG.

I have found LG DVDs work well with the USB (though for some reason the instruction manuals don't even cover how to work this facility; you have to work it out yourself). They also read some of the poorest quality DVDs and VCDs (I have a four year old so DVDs are badly mistreated). And they are very well-priced.

I'm no expert but I know what works for me hence the recommendation.

Fortunately, I haven't had any of the problems you mentioned (apart from the delay loading the files) but I don't use it very often and completely expect something to go wrong with it before too long. I was just curious about these newer DVD players, so I thought I'd take a chance. So far, so good.

Can someone mention a specific DVD player make and model in the 1500 to 2000 baht range that will play most downloaded files?

At lotus they have a samsung on sale for I thought 1700 baht,they have a full pallet of them.It will play almost everything that you throw at it.

I know many people will complain for the price, but this small box is useful to connect any memory (pendrive, hard disk, etc) and watch the content on your Full HD tv.

11-1-08-wd_hd_mediaplayer.jpg

It has 2 usb and a HDMI port and any kind of codecs (also MKV, AAC, H264), so I usually use it to see the 1080 or the 720 movies I download from the net.

Price in Thailand around 5000 baht.

More informations: http://www.bigitshop.com/online-shopping/W...dia-Player.html

Thanks. That sounds like a neat solution, HD as well is a bonus.

Cheaper than a BD player at the moment.

I have tried HD downloads on my PC, but cannot play them :)

Can someone mention a specific DVD player make and model in the 1500 to 2000 baht range that will play most downloaded files?

I just bought a B2000 Sherman brand DVD player at Tesco Lotus (on Sukhumvit Road on the way to Jomtien) with USB and HDMI.

I was dithering between the Sherman or a Soken, which was also B2000 but without HDMI.

The Sherman simply says "USB," whereas the Soken was "HiSpeed USB." The sales guy, who actually seemed to know about the products, said for my use -- watching 350MB .avi files of USA TV programs I download -- I didn't need the "HiSpeed USB."

From what I read, with my small TV size (26" wide-screen), I won't see much improvement if I upgrade to HDMI connection. So, in hindsight, I wish I had bought the Soken with better warranty.

They had several models as low as B850 with USB. I'm now also wondering if I should have just bought one of those, and kept my previous DVD player, which works just fine, and had two DVD players, but only use the cheap one for USB.

Phillips, Phillips, Phillips, Phillips....

Okay, sounds like I own shares (I don't!), but their players play just about anything and are good quality too. They never seem to advertise their ability to play almost anything on the shelf, but when you see the box it is plastered with writing that goes something like "Maximum playability - you have it, we'll play it!". I bought one of these about two years ago after a crappy Thai made Elze thing gave up the ghost. That unit has been excellent and has dealt superbly with the endless downloaded movies and TV series that I play through it. This player, and the one I have bought for my son unfortunately have no USB drive, but are great if you don't mind burning DVDs (I actually like keeping stuff to watch again...).

Anyway, to cut a long story slightly shorter, with the advent of large cheap USB thumb drives I recently decided to go buy myself another Phillips player for the main living room, but with a USB port - mostly so that I can use it for things like downloaded sports matches/races that I definitely only want to watch once. Typically, here in Chiang Mai, Lotus and Big C managed to let me down, only having the non-USB versions (although Lotus had sold them previously - they have now opted for with screen and without screen models, both without USB. I'd love to meet their stock buyers! rubbish...). I eventually found one for sale in the electronics section of Robinsons for about 2,000 Baht - a bargain in my opinion when the other options are cheaply made Thai rubbish that will play most things, but do it horribly (they look cheap, the discs take ages to load, the rewind is often horrible, totally unergonomic remotes, etc.), or quality brands such as Pioneer, Samsung and Sony that are often lovely players but are very fussy about what they will and won't play - there is a LOT that they won't play...

For me Phillips are the ONLY manufacturer making quality units (with USB if you can find them!) that play a wide range of formats. Boy, that was a lot of typing! I hope that the info is useful to somebody. :)

Phillips, Phillips, Phillips, Phillips....

Okay, sounds like I own shares (I don't!), but their players play just about anything and are good quality too. They never seem to advertise their ability to play almost anything on the shelf, but when you see the box it is plastered with writing that goes something like "Maximum playability - you have it, we'll play it!". I bought one of these about two years ago after a crappy Thai made Elze thing gave up the ghost. That unit has been excellent and has dealt superbly with the endless downloaded movies and TV series that I play through it. This player, and the one I have bought for my son unfortunately have no USB drive, but are great if you don't mind burning DVDs (I actually like keeping stuff to watch again...).

Problem there is much of the good highdef stuff is over a DVD size !!

I just bought a B2000 Sherman brand DVD player at Tesco Lotus (on Sukhumvit Road on the way to Jomtien) with USB and HDMI.

I went to look at this player in Lotus on North Road.

There was no mention of DIVX on the packaging and the salesman said it did not have it (as he tried to sell me a more expensive brand). Can you tell me whether, in fact, this player does have DIVX?

Thanks.

There was no mention of DIVX on the packaging and the salesman said it did not have it (as he tried to sell me a more expensive brand). Can you tell me whether, in fact, this player does have DIVX?

Thanks.

In Tesco north Pattaya they have a pallet placed in the middle of the walkway when you enter the shop and they have 3 or 4 brands stocked on it.The best one I saw was pioneer which had the usb port and divx codex installed at,I have to lie now but we are used to that aren't we,1490 Baht.For sure none of them was over 2000 baht,there was a LG model also.

Anyway these days it will be hard to find a dvd-player that doesn't play divx.

I'm no videophile here. How could I tell if it had DIVX? Is there a test video file to download someplace I could check for you?

Neither on the box, nor in the instruction manual (typical sketchy English translation) is any mention of DIVX.

All I know is that the .AVI files of TV programs that I download and copy to a USB thumb drive play easily on the DVD player with no stalls/hesitation.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I know many people will complain for the price, but this small box is useful to connect any memory (pendrive, hard disk, etc) and watch the content on your Full HD tv.

It has 2 usb and a HDMI port and any kind of codecs (also MKV, AAC, H264), so I usually use it to see the 1080 or the 720 movies I download from the net.

Price in Thailand around 5000 baht.

More informations: http://www.bigitshop.com/online-shopping/W...dia-Player.html

I eventually tracked the player down in Athens Greece, yesterday. Whoopee.

Initial tests with a conventional TV are impressive. :)

I cannot wait to get home and try it with my 40" LCD.

Downloaded BluRay material comes through smoothly,

where my PC only stutters its way with the cpu at 100%

where my PC only stutters its way with the cpu at 100%

That might be because you have not the right settings in the mediaplayer on your computer.I play 1080p mkv files using media player classic and my cpu runs at less then 5 %.

But it took me a long time to find this website which explains excactly the settings you have to make.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Interesting development, I bought a Samsung Blu Ray player yesterday, Plugged a USB hard drive into it and it plays MKV, AVI etc... files flawlessly from the hard drive. Negates the need for a seperate unit like the WD and a seperate remote.

In fact the bluray player remote can operate my Samsung TV through the HDMI port, so only 1 sensible remote for the whole system.

Interesting development, I bought a Samsung Blu Ray player yesterday, Plugged a USB hard drive into it and it plays MKV, AVI etc... files flawlessly from the hard drive. Negates the need for a seperate unit like the WD and a seperate remote.

In fact the bluray player remote can operate my Samsung TV through the HDMI port, so only 1 sensible remote for the whole system.

Hi, sounds interesting , any chance of the model number and price please :)

Samsung BD 4600, the RRP is 25k baht but you can probably get it for much less if you bargain, they are around $300 in the states, Its wall mountable and small for a blu ray player, I'm quite impressed.

I do have a device like this, LaCie's 500GB multimedia player that supports full-HD. The only problem is my system is pure audio oriented and not home theater based, so I don't have an AV amplifier but a two channels analogue pre amplifier with 2 sets of balanced/unbalanced inputs (no HDMI or USB port). And the only audio out on the LaCie aside from HDMI is the headphone jack. It doesn't support single ended connection (RCA cable), therefore I'm forced to listen to its sound through the TV speakers. Is there any solution to this, say an adopter for TRS connector/RCA cables?